What's messing with your groove?

#29801 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 06 June 2023 - 05:26 PM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 06 June 2023 - 05:05 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 06 June 2023 - 04:52 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 06 June 2023 - 04:42 PM, said:

The sun is orange and the city looks like a Mexico scene from BREAKING BAD or MAYANS MC.

I'm expecting tentacle monsters any minute now.
Barring that, i want tacos for lunch.

Abyss Ottawa is the worst in Ontario right now. You literally should not be outside without an N95 right now. The Air Quality report on the native Apple weather app says that this is "threat to life" levels of smoke....which I mean, makes sense, the wind is blowing it from Quebec directly into your face like some chain smoker without a conscience.

If the N95 don't fit... you might as well not be wearin' it (for wildfire smoke anyway---it can still stop some spittle).

If the mask does not fit properly, it may not provide any protection.

Wildfire Smoke and Face Masks Factsheet (wa.gov)

So unless you get your N95 model fit tested, an elastomeric P100 is a better bet (or better still---don't go outside if you can... or get one of those pricey loose-fitting powered air purifying full face respirators that don't require fit testing---IDK if they're available to rent...).

Which P100 do you use?

#29802 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 06 June 2023 - 05:37 PM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 06 June 2023 - 05:26 PM, said:

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 06 June 2023 - 05:05 PM, said:

The sun is orange and the city looks like a Mexico scene from BREAKING BAD or MAYANS MC.

Abyss Ottawa is the worst in Ontario right now. You literally should not be outside without an N95 right now. The Air Quality report on the native Apple weather app says that this is "threat to life" levels of smoke....which I mean, makes sense, the wind is blowing it from Quebec directly into your face like some chain smoker without a conscience.

If the N95 don't fit... you might as well not be wearin' it (for wildfire smoke anyway---it can still stop some spittle).

If the mask does not fit properly, it may not provide any protection.
Wildfire Smoke and Face Masks Factsheet (wa.gov)

So unless you get your N95 model fit tested, an elastomeric P100 is a better bet (or better still---don't go outside if you can... or get one of those pricey loose-fitting powered air purifying full face respirators that don't require fit testing---IDK if they're available to rent...).

Which P100 do you use?

GVS SPR457 Elipse P100

#29803 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 06 June 2023 - 07:01 PM

I'm hoping for super-powers.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#29804 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 06 June 2023 - 07:07 PM

View PostAbyss, on 06 June 2023 - 07:01 PM, said:

Asthma Man don't have a decent ring to it.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#29805 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 06 June 2023 - 10:27 PM

It's bad here. I have a dog who is not happy about the thunderstorm about to happen, but the rain will knock down a big chunk of the smoke.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#29806 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 06 June 2023 - 10:37 PM

View PostAbyss, on 06 June 2023 - 07:01 PM, said:

They'll come when we're all wearing terrestrial space suits (with robotic exoskeletons etc.) just to survive outside (also with AR (but hopefully not AR-15's... while being rifle-(and flood, fire, pathogen, etc.)-proof))... or living most of our lives in VR, with ample robotic (and more general AI) assistance.

#29807 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 07 June 2023 - 01:29 PM

Toronto looks like Vegas in BLADE RUNNER 2049 today from the wildfires...and the short 4 block walk from where the transit drops me off over to my office had my nose and throat irritated already.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#29808 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 07 June 2023 - 04:02 PM

I'm wearing an N95 when outside. I'm headed to Western NY today, where it'll get worse. I hope everyone can get through ok and that the fires are contained.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#29809 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 07 June 2023 - 04:16 PM

New York City experienced the highest pollution level in the world on Tuesday night [...] smoke [...] blurring the sun and skyline.

N.Y.C. Recorded World's Worst Air Pollution Due to Canada Wildfires

And now the great mass of it is drifting down to Philadelphia this evening. The air quality here is usually some of the worst in the United States, especially in the summer.

A lot of it's already here. Worst air quality this morning since a fire in 2008.

My door cracks are sealed with foam and I have my air purifier going.

Air purifiers generally consume minimal energy, with most using less than 100W (between 20-50W on average). Air purifiers with Energy Star certification guarantee energy efficiency. A typical 50W air purifier running at maximum speed for 24 hours a day will cost around $3-4 per month.

A Comprehensive Guide to Air Purifiers Electricity Costs! (airpurifierfirst.com)

($4 / 30 days)*5 days = $4/6 = $0.666...

($4 / 30 days)*2 days = $0.2666...

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 07 June 2023 - 04:16 PM

#29810 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 07 June 2023 - 04:57 PM

View Postamphibian, on 07 June 2023 - 04:02 PM, said:

I'm wearing an N95 when outside. I'm headed to Western NY today, where it'll get worse. I hope everyone can get through ok and that the fires are contained.

Yeah, the kids have them, I need to get some more as I'm out and the surgical isn't doing much at all. Apparently the wind is shifting tonight and Toronto will stop being on the outskirts of this and the main glut of it will drift overtop of us and the news just said we should be on the lookout for Ashfall too going into Friday?

And my premier in the legislature was asked by the Opposition if he would accept that this was a climate change level event and he said "how dare she politicize these wildfires"....because he's a fucking rich chud who doesn't care about us. I hate this govt.

Going to keep the kids inside all weekend I think.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 07 June 2023 - 04:58 PM

#29811 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 07 June 2023 - 05:05 PM

This kinda thing just happens, what're you gonna do?
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#29812 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 08 June 2023 - 12:59 AM

USA Today:

Canada wildfires are messing up our beautiful American air. We must invade immediately.

Like most Americans, I am OUTRAGED that the rogue nation of Canada is mucking up our beautiful American air with smoke from its presumably maple-scented wildfires.

[...]

If Americans breathe Canadian smoke, will we all suddenly become nicer? Or more amenable to universal healthcare? Before you know it, we could have a handsome prime minister and a strong social safety net.

It’s terrifying.

[...]

1. Build a large plexiglass barrier along the northern border

Canada wildfire smoke is invading, ruining air quality. Build a wall! (usatoday.com)

#29813 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 08 June 2023 - 02:42 AM

View Postworry, on 07 June 2023 - 05:05 PM, said:

This kinda thing just happens, what're you gonna do?

Invest in marshmallows.

#29814 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 08 June 2023 - 08:50 AM

I chose a good week to not be in Philladelphia right now, but Ill be back sunday. Hopefully be better by then.

Absolute Madness. Also strange that Philly is so badly hit by these fires and the fires two years ago in california.

#29815 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 08 June 2023 - 01:42 PM

Board-wide Memo -- Please Post and Circulate: Due to climate change, we are officially removing "winds of change" from the list of Figurative Language Examples.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#29816 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 08 June 2023 - 03:31 PM

Tickets to see Loreena McKennit on her Fall tour sold out too quick and I missed out. BOO. She so rarely tours, so it extra sucks to miss out.

#29817 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 08 June 2023 - 04:14 PM

Forgot to set my alarm last night and woke up a few hours later than usual---missed my early morning routines and an email from my elderly mother wanting to know if I'm okay. When I didn't respond she probably thought the smoke got me. I'm lucky I didn't get woken up by an ambulance....

#29818 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 08 June 2023 - 06:17 PM

A quiet sidewalk dining scene today in Rittenhouse Square [traditional posh part of Philadelphia]

[...] some local restaurateurs are keeping their streeteries and sidewalk tables available[...]

[...] said he handed out masks – “I mean, everyone has a supply left over from COVID – and I’ve been telling my employees to take them with them whenever they are outside. They don’t need to be outside very much here.”

Philadelphia air quality: Forecast for smoke, weather maps, current conditions (inquirer.com)

WTF what idiots... oh well, if rich people want to die, so be it....

Stephen Starr and other restaurant owners shut down outdoor dining in Philadelphia, New York, and Washington, D.C., because of smoke

Philly restaurants shut down outdoor dining thanks to wildfire smoke (inquirer.com)

As they should.

Philadelphia trash collection is paused over air quality concerns

[...] duration of the pause [...] remain[s] unclear

Philadelphia trash collection paused over air quality, smoke forecast (inquirer.com)

Give them some PPE for breathing and eye protection and they should be fine. They should have PPE gear ready to go anyway.

In the meantime the pile-up of trash outside is not going to improve the air quality (though IDK what effect the smoke will have on all the insects and other critters that go after the poorly-sealed garbage...).

#29819 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 09 June 2023 - 01:37 PM

A crucial case determining the fate of American civil liberties—and our national character as a whole—was decided by the Supreme Court today. [...] instead of Jack Daniel's, the label reads "Bad Spaniels," and instead of Old No. 7 Tennessee Whiskey, it says "Old No. 2 On Your Tennessee Carpet." Far from being a bottle of liquor, it's made out of rubber, does not contain any alcohol, and is—in fact—for dogs.

Yet the powers that be at Jack Daniel's were so upset about this horrific incursion on their trademark that they took the issue all the way to the highest authority in the legal stratosphere[...]

The court ruled in favor of Jack Daniel's after determining that VIP Product's chew toy—which was named "Bad Spaniels Silly Squeaker" and could never be mistaken as a genuine bottle of Old No. 7 by literally anyone, even from a very great distance—does not fall under First Amendment creative protection. The decision was unanimous, which really says something dark [...]

The court threw out an entirely sensible opinion from an appeals court ("The Bad Spaniels dog toy, although surely not the equivalent of the Mona Lisa, is an expressive work," a sage judge wrote)

Supreme Court Jack Daniel's ruling: I am going to lose my mind at this decision. (slate.com)

First the egregious Warhol ruling, now this.

That serpent Biden has been appointing monsters....

I'll have my barf bag ready when I vote for him. (Unless we get lucky and he dies before the election....)

(Of course in all seriousness I don't want to bet on Kamala Harris vs Trump in the general.... even if Trump is running from prison.)

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 09 June 2023 - 01:37 PM

#29820 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 09 June 2023 - 01:53 PM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 09 June 2023 - 01:37 PM, said:

...(Of course in all seriousness I don't want to bet on Kamala Harris vs Trump in the general.... even if Trump is running from prison.)

Trump would win on a wave of sheer hate, racism, and misogyny, blown in by Dem lethargy and Left Wing... i dunno but they'll find something to whine about... maybe she wears blended fabrics or something...

Share this topic:

• 1522 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users