What's messing with your groove?

#29741 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 18 May 2023 - 05:44 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 18 May 2023 - 02:59 PM, said:

View PostMacros, on 18 May 2023 - 01:59 PM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 17 May 2023 - 01:30 PM, said:

Oh dang TRB and QT that doesn't sound fun. I'll send you a recording of me talking in my soothing Yorkshire tones that should do the trick!

Bliss - glad to hear you're ok and I hope you continue to heal!

MWMG - I may have Type 2 diabetes. It's not confirmed yet and it seems as though we've "caught" it early enough that if I make some lifestyle changes and possibly go on meds it shouldn't be a big issue but it's still not fun to be told that.

Cut out as much ultra processed food as possible ASAP.
This will be harder than you realise, as its basically in everything on the shop shelves.
Look at the ingredients, if you couldn't make it in the kitchen, it's likely full of super processed shit.
Even things like "maize starch" or "potato starch" they are reductions and chemical recovered stuff. Whole ingredients only is a good guide, as the average UK persons diet is not 60% upf, and it fucks up out metabolisms and insides

Agreed and adding that the Mediterranean diet (not a diet really, more a group of whole food recipes to eat) will work against pre-diabetic and diabetic AND acid reflux to boot. We try to eat it a few times a week. I have recipe book my wife got me.

Which book?

This post has been edited by Whisperzzzzzzz: 18 May 2023 - 05:44 PM

#29742 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 18 May 2023 - 06:15 PM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 18 May 2023 - 05:44 PM, said:

Oh dang TRB and QT that doesn't sound fun. I'll send you a recording of me talking in my soothing Yorkshire tones that should do the trick!

MWMG - I may have Type 2 diabetes. It's not confirmed yet and it seems as though we've "caught" it early enough that if I make some lifestyle changes and possibly go on meds it shouldn't be a big issue but it's still not fun to be told that.

This will be harder than you realise, as its basically in everything on the shop shelves.
Look at the ingredients, if you couldn't make it in the kitchen, it's likely full of super processed shit.
Even things like "maize starch" or "potato starch" they are reductions and chemical recovered stuff. Whole ingredients only is a good guide, as the average UK persons diet is not 60% upf, and it fucks up out metabolisms and insides

Agreed and adding that the Mediterranean diet (not a diet really, more a group of whole food recipes to eat) will work against pre-diabetic and diabetic AND acid reflux to boot. We try to eat it a few times a week. I have recipe book my wife got me.

Which book?

This is the one we use.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#29743 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 18 May 2023 - 06:28 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 18 May 2023 - 06:15 PM, said:

Which book?

This is the one we use.

You can see some free sample recipes in the Amazon preview images.

Bing's AI search is supposed to be good for recipes. You could try that vs the free sample recipes.

But the book's sample recipes use a lot of wheat and cheese---not terrible but not great for you. And at least one of them includes raisins, which have an extremely high glycemic index and should be avoided, especially if you're concerned about diabetes. Another one adds sugar.

The (book's) sample recipes I looked at require a relatively large amount of time and effort---nothing under 10 minutes.

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 18 May 2023 - 06:29 PM

#29744 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 18 May 2023 - 07:02 PM

Sigh. Sorry for trying to help.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#29745 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 18 May 2023 - 07:07 PM

Which book?

This is the one we use.

Thanks all, my GP has given me some websites to look at and stuff. I have to get another test in June which will give me more info but I'm already thinking of ways to cut back on things like bread which I eat loads of haha
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#29746 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 18 May 2023 - 07:44 PM

Thanks for the support all, you're gems :)

View PostLady Bliss, on 17 May 2023 - 12:46 PM, said:

So sorry to hear that TRB, I've heard that can be awful. I hope the ear plugs work. Have you checked in with the doctor about it? In 10 years they could have made some innovations in that area.

I'm feeling better, it just takes a couple of days to feel right. I'm now seeing a neurologist and he's started me on seizure meds. Also there will be some lifestyle changes. Sadly my wine after work days are over, but honestly that's not a big deal. I'll just have to get used to having club soda if I go to the pub to hang out with friends. Much better than the alternative I can tell you!

Hope the new meds are helpful for you :)

Thanks - I think I'm going to go see a doctor if it doesn't calm down once we've settled at our new place (a detached on a quiet cul de sac, so no direct neighbour noise hopefully). I just can't see them not concluding it's stress related with the impending move and the fact our neigjbours are hellish so I suspect they'd say wait it out and see anyway. Several of my D&D group recommended Loop as they use them, so I'm keeping fingers crossed I'll find them helpful.

View PostQuickTidal, on 17 May 2023 - 12:55 PM, said:

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 17 May 2023 - 08:15 AM, said:

Messing with my groove: finally had to give in and accept my sound sensitivity is out of control at the moment. It's been years since I was this bad. Hopeful it will sort itself out when the move is over and we don't have all that stress and are no longer living next to the monsters next door, because I'm pretty sure it's the lack of quiet and inability to relax in the house that's ramped it up. On the positive its taken 15 months of living here to get this bad, but its now deeply unpleasant and starting to affect me in most situations. Had my first bout of full on sensory overload (everything is one too loud volume, lights are too bright, everything smells too strong etc) in about a decade a few weeks ago, and have had three since. That really can't continue.

Have ordered some Loop everyday earplugs that are supposed to be able to be worn so you can still hear conversation with the person you're speaking to, but cut down a lot of background. Fingers crossed they make a difference.

This sounds so much like me. My sound sensitivity has gotten really bad and my wife points out how often I can't deal with it. Like we will be in the car, both kids will be loudly talking or shouting with each other, the radio will be going, and the noise of the traffic all at once and I have to plug my ears otherwise I feel like I'm going have a breakdown.

I never used to be this bad. I've always enjoyed the quiet, but this has become a really insistent thing....I didn't know others experienced it like me.

I'm going to look into these Loop earplugs, they sound like they might help. Hope yours gets better!

So sorry to read you're affected by this QT, you have my sympathy because it really does suck. Loop are based in Germany so the postage is steep, but they were the brand I was specifically recommended so hopefully they'd be worth it for you too. Did you find you were more reactive to noise post-pandemic at all? I definitely think my tolerance (neighbours aside) is not what it was prior to that because I got used to more quiet.

Yorkshire tones always gladly accepted! Sorry to hear about the diabetes though, I really hope the changes/possible meds are helpful for you.
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#29747 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 19 May 2023 - 01:34 AM

I got mine already actually, LOL. Ordered them off Amazon. $40 including shipping.

Had them in tonight for a bit. Comfy, really soft silicone. Can hear people around me just fine, but ambient other noises are definitely deadened.

The litmus test will be when there is a cacophony of noise, but so far so good.

And yeah, I’m way more sensitive post pandemic than prepandemic. My wife noted that specifically about how I used to handle over stimulation.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 19 May 2023 - 01:35 AM

#29748 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 19 May 2023 - 08:17 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 19 May 2023 - 01:34 AM, said:

I got mine already actually, LOL. Ordered them off Amazon. $40 including shipping.

Had them in tonight for a bit. Comfy, really soft silicone. Can hear people around me just fine, but ambient other noises are definitely deadened.

And yeah, I’m way more sensitive post pandemic than prepandemic. My wife noted that specifically about how I used to handle over stimulation.

Argh, super jealous! Still waiting on mine - I'm glad you're finding them useful though, that bodes well! :)
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#29749 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 19 May 2023 - 11:24 AM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 19 May 2023 - 08:17 AM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 19 May 2023 - 01:34 AM, said:

Argh, super jealous! Still waiting on mine - I'm glad you're finding them useful though, that bodes well! :)

I think the nicest thing about them so far is that they fit inside your ear enough that if you need to use them for sleep, you can lay on that ear and it doesn't affect them, or press them in further ect.

#29750 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 20 May 2023 - 05:53 AM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 18 May 2023 - 07:07 PM, said:

Which book?

This is the one we use.

Thanks all, my GP has given me some websites to look at and stuff. I have to get another test in June which will give me more info but I'm already thinking of ways to cut back on things like bread which I eat loads of haha

Swap you standard loaf out for a sourdough, read the ingredients, the rules are the same. If bread isn't going hard in anfew days it's full of crap as a general rule. Make your own in the slow cooker, it's very easy, remind me to send you my recipe over when I have time later

#29751 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 20 May 2023 - 05:54 AM

And Read Ultra Processed People by Chris tuluken

#29752 User is online   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 20 May 2023 - 06:31 AM

I'm in Tasmania for a wedding and my aunt is Doing Too Much - including burning the chai for everyone. Her daughter is now married, but there's still no excuse.

Worst cuppa I've had in decades.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#29753 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 22 May 2023 - 05:02 PM

I am taking two weeks leave i Aug-September to go back home to see my family and attend a friends wedding in South Africa.

My direct line manager in the UK didnt bat an eye but the senior USA manager who I work with closely but who is not technically my manager was shocked and said in the USA you dont take 2 weeks vacations. America has a sickness.

#29754 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 22 May 2023 - 05:46 PM

Damn. Ray Stevenson died. Cause of death not yet confirmed.

Damn.

Titus Pullo is one of my favorite TV characters of all time.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#29755 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 22 May 2023 - 06:01 PM

View PostCause, on 22 May 2023 - 05:02 PM, said:

I am taking two weeks leave i Aug-September to go back home to see my family and attend a friends wedding in South Africa.

My direct line manager in the UK didnt bat an eye but the senior USA manager who I work with closely but who is not technically my manager was shocked and said in the USA you dont take 2 weeks vacations. America has a sickness.

That’s not unusual in the IT industry.
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#29756 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 22 May 2023 - 08:14 PM

Yeah that is BS. I work with loads of Americans who take 2 weeks off. Why wouldn't you if you were travelling as far as SA?!
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#29757 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 22 May 2023 - 09:03 PM

How are you going to keep capitalism running when you slack off for 2 weeks a year? Gosh be considerate of others for once!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#29758 User is online   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 22 May 2023 - 09:44 PM

My boss actively shoved me out the door on this two weeks vacation I'm on right now.

Sadly, she's a minority in terms of portioning out a healthy work and life balance among management.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#29759 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 23 May 2023 - 07:48 AM

I know my work situation is different but if I work more than 44 weeks in a calendar year its a rarity. I think I've done it once in the last.... 10 years?
That one year was July through to the nextaugust, still took the two weeks for Christmas, a weeks snow boarding and plenty of long weekends as well.

Fuck the man, you're just numbers to them

#29760 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 23 May 2023 - 01:57 PM

View PostMacros, on 23 May 2023 - 07:48 AM, said:

I know my work situation is different but if I work more than 44 weeks in a calendar year its a rarity. I think I've done it once in the last.... 10 years?
That one year was July through to the nextaugust, still took the two weeks for Christmas, a weeks snow boarding and plenty of long weekends as well.

Fuck the man, you're just numbers to them

Nice. I mean I get 5 weeks leave a year. 18.5 days because I Only started in April. The UK team does it all the time. Im fine but I just thought My US colleagues response was so telling.

Share this topic:

• 1522 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users