• You cannot reply to this topic

What's messing with your groove?

#29821 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 12 June 2023 - 06:36 AM

It's far, far, far too warm.

We got up to 30 on Saturday, same yesterday - and Yorkshire never got the predicted thunderstorms to clear the air at all so it's thick, cloying and muggy. And as a reminder to non-Brits, our houses are designed to retain heat because our climate is usually cold to temperate, so when it gets hot our houses become ovens - it's gonna stay warm in here for AGES now. Sweaty.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#29822 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 12 June 2023 - 11:38 AM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 12 June 2023 - 06:36 AM, said:

We got up to 30 on Saturday, same yesterday - and Yorkshire never got the predicted thunderstorms to clear the air at all so it's thick, cloying and muggy. And as a reminder to non-Brits, our houses are designed to retain heat because our climate is usually cold to temperate, so when it gets hot our houses become ovens - it's gonna stay warm in here for AGES now. Sweaty.

I was gonna come here and restart the "is too hot worse than too cold" argument (the answers yes, cold is easy to deal with).

My office is muggy and I hate it.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#29823 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 12 June 2023 - 12:05 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 12 June 2023 - 11:38 AM, said:

View PostMaark Abbott, on 12 June 2023 - 06:36 AM, said:

I was gonna come here and restart the "is too hot worse than too cold" argument (the answers yes, cold is easy to deal with).

Agreed. I maintain "you can always put on a sweater or a blanket when cold, I cannot remove my skin when it's too hot"
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#29824 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 12 June 2023 - 12:06 PM

Perhaps Scandinavia should start preparing to fend off the inevitable waves of invaders. (Certainly seems simpler than rebuilding most of the houses in the UK---or worse, adding air conditioning, which is not only expensive but terrible for the environment; or worst of all, being naked outside in the rain (even under some umbrellas...).)

MI6 might finally come in handy if it can help smuggle refugees from the UK into Scandinavia (or failing that maybe Greenland?...).

(More properly, not just Scandinavia but Norden (since Iceland and Finland will also become prime destinations for refugees... Rwanda less so).)

#29825 User is offline   Kurt Montandon 

• First Sword
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 12 June 2023 - 03:03 PM

Reddit's down, and might be in its last death throes as the ownership Diggs it into the ground.

WTF am I supposed to do with my day, or even at least while I eat breakfast?
I finally have an avatar ... and it's better than yours.

#29826 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 12 June 2023 - 03:13 PM

Another garbage fire nearby.

Though fire is better weather than mugginess I guess. It tends to be a dry heat....

#29827 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 12 June 2023 - 03:50 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 12 June 2023 - 12:05 PM, said:

I cannot remove my skin when it's too hot"

Posted Image
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#29828 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 12 June 2023 - 04:20 PM

View Postworry, on 12 June 2023 - 03:50 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 12 June 2023 - 12:05 PM, said:

I cannot remove my skin when it's too hot"

Posted Image

for the budding scientist in your life how about a LeMarchand’s Lament configuration puzzlebox from [...] “Hellraiser” [...]

Retail giant Walmart has a lament configuration listed for sale. [...] the hell-summoning puzzlebox is listed as a STEM toy, for children.

"Hellraiser" Puzzlebox Available at Walmart as Children's Toy

Is hell moist?... mostly not. Unless you count the ice....

Hope not ever to see Heaven. I have come to lead you to the other shore; into eternal darkness; into fire and into ice.

Inferno Quotes by Dante Alighieri

Like Satan, you could pile ice around yourself; or (as I sometimes do outside) use cooling vests and scarves (stuffed with 'nano-ice'), etc.

#29829 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 13 June 2023 - 07:52 PM

Cormac McCarthy has passed away of natural causes at age 89.

https://www.npr.org/...y-dies-obituary

#29830 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 14 June 2023 - 03:39 PM

Was thinking of buying some Toyota stock as a sleeper self-driving, EV, and solar powered car play last Wednesday, almost pulled the trigger but didn't, and bam the next day it started surging, now up about 15%. Ah well. Such is the market....

#29831 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 14 June 2023 - 06:10 PM

View Postworry, on 13 June 2023 - 07:52 PM, said:

Cormac McCarthy has passed away of natural causes at age 89.

https://www.npr.org/...y-dies-obituary

Posted Image

R.E. Parrish: "cormac mccarthy's king of the hill"

#29832 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 18 June 2023 - 01:11 PM

Storm last night. Scared the shit out of me, and the thunder was violent enough that my house was shaking. My friend thought a bomb had gone off in town.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#29833 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 June 2023 - 02:44 PM

The Anti-Vaxxer/Anti-Masker/Anti-Lockdown/Anti-Trudeau/Anti-Democracy Right Wing nut jobs have shifted their grift from all that to the LGBTQIA+ community, drag shows, and all the shit that the Right Wingers in the States are grifting on right now up here in Canada...and it's infuriating.

Yesterday, the entire Niagara Public School Board was put into a 'safe and secure' (kind of like a lockdown) order as threats had been made against the board and therefore the schools and the kids...all because the Board was voting on continuing to allow the Pride Flag to fly outside the schools during the month of June.

So you get that? These angry fucks who have nothing better to do (and I guess no jobs?) are claiming to be fighting for the rights of their kids...while basically harassing kids and their schools with threats of violence.

A whack of them also seemed to assemble in front of the Hamilton School Board for the same reason....but they didn't want to go inside, or any of that...they wanted to stand outside and get into a confrontation with the cops...for likes and views on Twitter and TikTok....and reputedly the shouting and nonsense stopped when their tikTok-lives went silent (TikTok will boot your live if you are doing shady shit and they catch you)....and once the lives were silenced, these people stopped confronting. It could NEVER be more clear it's not about what they claim it's about.

The anti-vaxx/anti-mask/anti-lockdown thing from COVID days is over, and they needed something new to rant and rage about in Tim Hortons and Canadian Tire parking lots...and the LGBTQIA+ community ....existing...is apparently it.

I cannot stand these pieces of shit, and one of them...King-Toronto-Shit disturber Chris Sky who has led the Anti-Mask/Anti-Vxx/Anti-Lockdown/Anti-Trudeau parades down Yonge St for nigh on three years now every Saturday? He's running for mayor. LOL. He has less than zero chance obviously (in fact it looks like we will elect Olivia Chow, a very progressive individual and widow to one of our best politicians Jack Layton; a fact that will absolutely enrage Doug Ford in the bargain!)...but it's still insane that he's running for mayor after essentially weaponizing right wingers to grift them and skate away from consequences of breaking the law by having a rich land developer father...

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 20 June 2023 - 02:46 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#29834 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 20 June 2023 - 02:52 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 20 June 2023 - 02:44 PM, said:

...These angry fucks who have nothing better to do (and I guess no jobs?) are claiming to be fighting for the rights of their kids...while basically harassing kids and their schools with threats of violence....

It gets betterworse. Most of them don't have kids in the schools they are harassing.

We had this in Ottown last week. One set were actually organized by a student in one of the schools they protested at, the school in question is (supposdly, i have no personal exp w it) a private, largely white largely proselytizing christian base, not all that bad (this is ottawa after all) but the level of hate was surprising. Better surprising was the counter-protestors who showed in in bigger numbers... that's the ottawa i know and love to live in.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#29835 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 June 2023 - 04:22 PM

View PostAbyss, on 20 June 2023 - 02:52 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 20 June 2023 - 02:44 PM, said:

...These angry fucks who have nothing better to do (and I guess no jobs?) are claiming to be fighting for the rights of their kids...while basically harassing kids and their schools with threats of violence....

It gets betterworse. Most of them don't have kids in the schools they are harassing.

We had this in Ottown last week. One set were actually organized by a student in one of the schools they protested at, the school in question is (supposdly, i have no personal exp w it) a private, largely white largely proselytizing christian base, not all that bad (this is ottawa after all) but the level of hate was surprising. Better surprising was the counter-protestors who showed in in bigger numbers... that's the ottawa i know and love to live in.

I think Ottawa on the whole has battle damage and PTSD from the Convoy...and as a result they are collectively NEVER going to just let this type of fundamentalist piece of shit get any kind of support of foothold in their city again.

Apropos of nothing, I am also interested as hell in the crossover in all this between the people from the Muslim Fundy community who are homophobic and have joined these protests and the White, rural Christian fundy group that make up most of its numbers in being also homophobic...when in ANY other instance in life, those two groups would be wildly opposed to one another...in fact I bet good money that every single white idiot in these groups of anti-LGBT people have said and continue to say shitty things about all other cultures, Muslims at the top of that list....so it's pretty fascinating from an outsider POV to watch them work together because their hatred of gay people seems to override their mutual hatred of each other. It's bizarre and I wonder why none of them have anything better to do.

#29836 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 20 June 2023 - 04:28 PM

I'm running for mayor of Toronto too.

#29837 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 June 2023 - 04:47 PM

View Postworry, on 20 June 2023 - 04:28 PM, said:

I'm running for mayor of Toronto too.

Would vote!

#29838 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 22 June 2023 - 01:40 PM

The bottom of my kitchen faucet handle was leaking a little, so I tried twisting it around and got the leak to stop. But then the faucet wouldn't stop dripping. It's a single handle faucet that rotates around---not sure if it's screwed in or what rotating it changed the rate of the drip depending on the position, so I decided to try screwing it in. Not knowing which way was "in", I tried one way, then the other, neither worked. Water pressure also seemed lower than usual.

Started looking up what to do on the toilet. Massive dump. Got up and tried to flush---sounded like there was barely any water. Didn't seem to be refilling. Bathtub faucet seemed to be working, so I filled a container to add water to the toilet tank. Tried flushing, shit still wouldn't go down. Tried adding more and flushing again, not enough, tried filling the tank, shit didn't go down, but the bowl didn't fill up (as it would it there were a blockage). Then the bathtub faucet stopped producing water.

Checked my email to see if the water had been turned off---nothing.

Then I checked my texts. They said they were going to turn off the water and asked us not to flush anything. Repairing the main pipes to the building or something. Might not be fixed today. WTF, in the past they emailed us about things like this. Why *only* send out a text?... I never check my texts unless I'm expecting one.

So now I may have to venture out into the world if I need to shit again.

The nearest large bookstore seems like the best bet.

Kitchen faucet can currently still produce a thin stream of water, but that's it. And it's still dripping noisily. But that may be good news overall:

Water pressure that is set too high or too low can cause faucets and other water fixtures to leak.

Causes Of Leaky Faucets (sunshineplumbingandgas.com)

... so I might not have to have maintenance come in and fix it (of course they come at a random time days after the request, no advance notice) and fill my apartment with covid.

#29839 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 22 June 2023 - 06:27 PM

Crap.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#29840 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 22 June 2023 - 09:14 PM

Gotta ask: how can you not check your texts? It's like, right there on your phone? :ermm:
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

Share this topic:

• 1521 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users