• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What's messing with your groove?

#28381 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 31 December 2021 - 10:00 PM

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#28382 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 31 December 2021 - 10:33 PM

Holy shit. That's just annihilation.

Reminds me too much of here in the summer of 2019-20. And with all the rain we've been getting recently, and the accompaning explosion of vegetation ... :(

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 31 December 2021 - 10:34 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#28383 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 04 January 2022 - 11:03 AM

Return to work day. Urgh.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#28384 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 04 January 2022 - 12:33 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 31 December 2021 - 10:33 PM, said:

Reminds me too much of here in the summer of 2019-20. And with all the rain we've been getting recently, and the accompaning explosion of vegetation ... :(

Bloody heck. I know Australia is infamous for having tons of animals and other shit that can kill you dead in an instant, but exploding plants now as well? Man, that is one rough continent.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#28385 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 04 January 2022 - 01:53 PM

View PostGorefest, on 04 January 2022 - 12:33 PM, said:

Bloody heck. I know Australia is infamous for having tons of animals and other shit that can kill you dead in an instant, but exploding plants now as well? Man, that is one rough continent.

There are some eucalypts and other trees I think that require fire to burst seed pods for propagation, but I meant all the rain was causing a lot of vegetation growth which equals more fire fuel next time we get a lot of hot, dry, windy weather.
Which is about eight or nine years out of ten. :p

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 04 January 2022 - 01:54 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#28386 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 04 January 2022 - 02:05 PM

Return to work to find we've had a covid outbreak with many staff down. WONDERFUL.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#28387 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 04 January 2022 - 09:28 PM

Never -- under any circumstances -- 'return to work'. That's how they getcha.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#28388 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 04 January 2022 - 09:50 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 04 January 2022 - 01:53 PM, said:

View PostGorefest, on 04 January 2022 - 12:33 PM, said:

There are some eucalypts and other trees I think that require fire to burst seed pods for propagation, but I meant all the rain was causing a lot of vegetation growth which equals more fire fuel next time we get a lot of hot, dry, windy weather.
Which is about eight or nine years out of ten. :p

I know ;)
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#28389 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 04 January 2022 - 10:21 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 28 December 2021 - 07:27 PM, said:

I think I'm getting soft(er) in my old age. I'm actually starting to feel sorry for the English cricket team.

Might have to go back and rewatch "Bodyline" and "Gallipoli" to restore the hate. :hulk:

This series - probably more so than any in the last what, twenty years?! - is such a one sided stomp that it’s pathetic to call it a sporting contest, that's why haha... it's just sad. We've sent some bad teams before but this... aye...

It's what happens when a top order who cannot bat for shit meets a top bowling attack on home turf. I could go out there and do what they've done getting out first ball. Selection all over the place too...

Only Root would get anywhere close to the 2005 team.

Back to depressing Ashes series for us me thinks...

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#28390 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 05 January 2022 - 05:18 PM

In Washington DC, took my friend. Smithsonian space musuem closed due to covid. Smithsonian staff apparently are all sick. I’m kinda surprised the other museums were prioritized. I’d have thought the space Musuem is one of the more popular.

The timing is unfortunate and also complete accidental. However have already run into two guys and their girlfriends. The guys were dressed all in black, in military style clothes. Prominently displayed crosses on their necklaces and some cross on their shirt. Walking around with a loudspeaker.

#28391 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 05 January 2022 - 05:27 PM

View PostCause, on 05 January 2022 - 05:18 PM, said:

The timing is unfortunate and also complete accidental. However have already run into two guys and their girlfriends. The guys were dressed all in black, in military style clothes. Prominently displayed crosses on their necklaces and some cross on their shirt. Walking around with a loudspeaker.

Screaming 'space is a hoax!' or 'convert all "intelligent" life to Christianity! end abortion throughout the unmultiverse!'?...

#28392 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 05 January 2022 - 05:38 PM

View PostCause, on 05 January 2022 - 05:18 PM, said:

In Washington DC, took my friend. Smithsonian space musuem closed due to covid. Smithsonian staff apparently are all sick. I’m kinda surprised the other museums were prioritized. I’d have thought the space Musuem is one of the more popular.

If it helps, the other museums ARE better than the Space one.

The space one is fine, but the offsite (in Virginia) Boeing Aviation hangar part of it is WAY better than the main one along Museums row. Like I enjoyed it, but the Museum of Natural History blows it out of the water.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#28393 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 05 January 2022 - 11:43 PM

View Postchamp, on 04 January 2022 - 10:21 PM, said:

View PostTsundoku, on 28 December 2021 - 07:27 PM, said:

I think I'm getting soft(er) in my old age. I'm actually starting to feel sorry for the English cricket team.

Might have to go back and rewatch "Bodyline" and "Gallipoli" to restore the hate. :hulk:

This series - probably more so than any in the last what, twenty years?! - is such a one sided stomp that it’s pathetic to call it a sporting contest, that's why haha... it's just sad. We've sent some bad teams before but this... aye...

It's what happens when a top order who cannot bat for shit meets a top bowling attack on home turf. I could go out there and do what they've done getting out first ball. Selection all over the place too...

Only Root would get anywhere close to the 2005 team.

Back to depressing Ashes series for us me thinks...

Well, your lads had a halfway decent day yesterday now they're pitching the ball up a bit more, but the weather they brought with them probably helped.
Bloody Sydney. Looks like rain is - again - going to play a large part in this match.

https://www.news.com...90ad4ec1c8986e2

At lunch on day one, Fox Cricket commentator Mark Howard revealed how wet it traditionally is in Sydney.

“Since 2014-15, this is the number of sessions lost due to weather in Australia. The Gabba, 3.5 sessions. Adelaide Oval, 4.5 sessions. The MCG, 6.5 sessions. The SCG … 16.5 sessions. 10 sessions more than anyone else in the country.”

Former England captain Michael Vaughan said: “You may as well play this Test match in Derby.”

But Howard added that the SCG had lost more in the last eight years than Manchester has.

Cricket statistician Ric Finlay also revealed Sydney had a complete day washed out every 4.36 Tests.

Washout Update.
Tests hosted per Washout (a complete day lost to rain):
40 Adelaide
13 Hobart
11.4 Melbourne
8 Brisbane
4.36 Sydney

No washouts at Perth.

— Ric Finlay (@RicFinlay) January 4, 2022

#28394 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 05 January 2022 - 11:58 PM

'Philadelphia, where a number of dubious coronavirus testing sites have cropped up, leading the public health department to warn residents on Monday to avoid unofficial tents offering such services. "Last week, the Health Department was notified of small pop-up tents that were offering free COVID-19 testing operating in Center City. The staff who worked at these sites claimed they were funded by FEMA," the department said in a statement. "Over the weekend, it was confirmed that these sites were not funded by FEMA."

[...] Local hospitals have been near capacity. Then came the outbreak of blue tents.

Apart from inaccurately claiming to receive funding from Federal Emergency Management Agency, these pop-up sites have reportedly been asking customers for personal information like Social Security numbers, which is not typically required for COVID-19 testing. [...]

[...] At least some of the pop-up tents appear to be linked to Lab Elite, a coronavirus testing and toxicology company based out of Chicago. [...] Lab Elite apologized for the confusion and said it was surprised to learn that the testing sites were collecting Social Security numbers and claiming to have FEMA's backing, though the company blamed these snafus on a subcontractor called LP Global that it had hired to collect samples in the area. [...] the company has since shut down its Philadelphia sites after receiving questions from the city. "These guys were kind of running a wild s—show, so they were ordered to shut them down," [...] Lab Elite experienced another operational snag in late December, when a shipment containing hundreds of COVID-19 test samples arrived at a family's home in Oahu, instead of its intended destination at the company's lab in Chicago. Lab Elite blamed that failure on FedEx[...]

The Federal Trade Commission has been warning about fake testing sites since 2020, reporting that the scammers running such operations often do not adhere to sanitation protocols and ask customers for information like credit card and Social Security numbers. In late 2020, the FBI raided the Infinity Diagnostic Laboratory in Ventnor, New Jersey, which allegedly charged $75 for tests that were not suitable for detecting active infections. Last week, police in Oakland, California, warned that scammers wearing lab coats were approaching people waiting in long lines at testing centers and offering them a quicker procedure. After administering a fake test, the scammers would then move to collect personal information that could be abused later on. [...]

The Philadelphia Health Department further acknowledged in its statement on pop-up tents that people may have issues finding tests due to "overwhelming" demand, and advised those who are experiencing symptoms to act as if they are positive even if they haven't been able to get access to testing. If the choice you're facing is staying home or jeopardizing your Social Security number, it shouldn't be much of a choice.'

https://slate.com/te...-tents-why.html

Posted Image

#28395 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 08 January 2022 - 11:35 PM

Inconsequential thing messing with my groove: my malazan fu has become weak! :crybaby:

Backstory: in our Dungeons&Dragons campaign there was, for a time, an NPC named Silchas Ruin. That has been a year or two ago. We were recently presented with the antagonist of the current plot, name Selekis.

There used to be a time when I would've IMMEDIATELY made the connection. I am ashamed to say that I did not! <_<

Also, no, that's not a spoiler in any way, Silchas uses that name in one throwaway instance. YES, in our campaign they just turned out the same person! Also YES, we absolutely had deduced they couldn't be the same person. I knew the name sounded familiar. The DM just had a very good laugh because my malazan fu has weakened that much! :evil:

This post has been edited by Puck: 08 January 2022 - 11:37 PM

Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#28396 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 10 January 2022 - 02:35 AM

Damn, the string of high profile deaths is not abating as 2021 ended and we roll into 2022. RIP Bob Saget.

#28397 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 10 January 2022 - 08:08 PM

Robert Durst just died without facing justice for murdering his first wife.

#28398 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 11 January 2022 - 09:04 PM

Probably not so well known but there was a band in the late 60s/early 70s called Budgie and they were a massive influence on the early hard rock/heavy metal scene, later being covered by Metallica and others numerous times.

Their frontman Burke Shelley sadly died yesterday. I have a personal link to the band as they were from Cardiff, Wales, where I lived for a decade and I got to know Burke a bit, even being invited to help out at a couple of their shows in roadie type roles. (They were playing with Craig Goldy at the time who was the guitarist with Dio once upon a time)

Anyway I'm quite saddened by this. While they weren't the biggest band in their own right they were a huge influence on many of the movers and shakers of the metal world.

https://www.theguard...ie-dies-aged-71
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#28399 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 14 January 2022 - 10:38 AM

Laura just tested positive for covid. Waiting for the result of my test too, but I suspect there's little hope of it being anything else for me.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#28400 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 14 January 2022 - 12:38 PM

View PostMorgoth, on 14 January 2022 - 10:38 AM, said:

Laura just tested positive for covid. Waiting for the result of my test too, but I suspect there's little hope of it being anything else for me.

Oh, hai neighbour!

https://forum.malaza...ost__p__1446790

Share this topic:

• 1522 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users