• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Whats making you happy right now

#18961 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 16 May 2023 - 07:28 AM

The bad thing about that Maark is someone having to go into Wakefield :( but good news otherwise!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#18962 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 16 May 2023 - 01:21 PM

Putin fired six more of his 'unstoppable' hypersonic missiles at Kyiv... and the PATRIOT system stopped them all.

Ukraine said it shot down 18 Russian missiles targeting Kyiv [...] including six hypersonic Kinzhal missiles. [...] missile attack was "exceptional in its density."

Ukraine Says It Shot Down 6 Hypersonic Missiles in Attack on Kyiv (businessinsider.com)

It's stopped seven out of seven now.

Putin's ability to blackmail other countries with the threat of hypersonic missiles may have just diminished considerably.

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 16 May 2023 - 01:27 PM

#18963 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 17 May 2023 - 06:15 AM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 16 May 2023 - 07:28 AM, said:

The bad thing about that Maark is someone having to go into Wakefield :( but good news otherwise!

I mean it could be worse, I live in Barno. All we have here is post-industrial decline and sadness.

That said, Wakefield city centre was amazingly depressing. Like a really shit Scunthorpe but with no seaside.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#18964 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 17 May 2023 - 08:09 AM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 17 May 2023 - 06:15 AM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 16 May 2023 - 07:28 AM, said:

I mean it could be worse, I live in Barno. All we have here is post-industrial decline and sadness.

That said, Wakefield city centre was amazingly depressing. Like a really shit Scunthorpe but with no seaside.

Agreed. And like so many other northern industrial towns, it could be improved if it had money spent on it.

Having said that, I lived on the outskirts of Wakefield before moving in with Mr Not a Blacksmith and enjoyed my time there, and the house we're buying is in a village between Wakefield and Rothwell. The reality is though we'll use Leeds when we need a city centre - which whilst annoyingly busy, is much nicer.
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#18965 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 17 May 2023 - 08:12 AM

I get it, I lived in Oldham for a number of years. Most of the money went to Manchester, though the teams did help with things and they had started to make things a bit better in the centre at least when I left.

I worked in Blackburn which was worse.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#18966 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 17 May 2023 - 09:25 AM

Yah, me nan lives in Ol' Billywickham and eats her chips with "soot and vinegar", she says. "Leastways it means some folks are still a-workin." Well that's nan for ya. Big hearted.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#18967 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 17 May 2023 - 01:42 PM

I forget, which of these places did Charlie Stross wipe out with an army of Necro-Elves?
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#18968 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 17 May 2023 - 01:58 PM

View Postworry, on 17 May 2023 - 09:25 AM, said:

Yah, me nan lives in Ol' Billywickham and eats her chips with "soot and vinegar", she says. "Leastways it means some folks are still a-workin." Well that's nan for ya. Big hearted.

Every now and again Worry NAILS the execution on a joke. This was NOTE perfect and I LOLed at work and people looked at me strangely.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#18969 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 19 May 2023 - 06:57 AM

Band is doing a mini tour in November with Ephemera - Rotherham, Shipley and Halifax, and then I think we have a headline gig the week afterward. Should be good!
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#18970 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 19 May 2023 - 08:53 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 17 May 2023 - 01:58 PM, said:

Every now and again Worry NAILS the execution on a joke. This was NOTE perfect and I LOLed at work and people looked at me strangely.

Lol Tiste sent me a voice recording of his impression of this. If only y'all could hear it.

#18971 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 19 May 2023 - 09:30 AM

View Postworry, on 19 May 2023 - 08:53 AM, said:

Lol Tiste sent me a voice recording of his impression of this. If only y'all could hear it.

I got some of the wording wrong, my apologies.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#18972 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 19 May 2023 - 11:08 AM

That's fine, I can't understand all that UK gibberish anyway.

#18973 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 19 May 2023 - 10:49 PM

View PostAbyss, on 17 May 2023 - 01:42 PM, said:

I forget, which of these places did Charlie Stross wipe out with an army of Necro-Elves?

Leeds, iirc

Making me happy: on my way to the cottage for long weekend. 3.5 days of getting hammered and chilling with good people ahead.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#18974 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 22 May 2023 - 08:25 AM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 19 May 2023 - 09:30 AM, said:

View Postworry, on 19 May 2023 - 08:53 AM, said:

I got some of the wording wrong, my apologies.

Also in receipt of Tiste's voice recordings over the weekend. Definitely made me smile! :D
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#18975 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 23 May 2023 - 07:49 PM

Last night I woke up following a terrifying nightmare. I was too scared to get out of bed when I woke up.

I was on the planet from the movie Aliens. It was before Ripley and the marines arrive and I was myself but happened to be there with the colonists as the aliens started to attack. I knew what was happening given I have seen all the movies so was just shitting myself in a mixture of terror and trying to persuade their leader what we needed to do.

Their leader was Steve Martin.

Needless to say Steve Martin is not equipped to lead a terraforming settlement being attacked by xenomorphs. I woke with my heart absolutely hammering. I've had an adrenalin come down all day.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#18976 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 23 May 2023 - 11:52 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 23 May 2023 - 07:49 PM, said:

Last night I woke up following a terrifying nightmare. I was too scared to get out of bed when I woke up.

I was on the planet from the movie Aliens. It was before Ripley and the marines arrive and I was myself but happened to be there with the colonists as the aliens started to attack. I knew what was happening given I have seen all the movies so was just shitting myself in a mixture of terror and trying to persuade their leader what we needed to do.

Needless to say Steve Martin is not equipped to lead a terraforming settlement being attacked by xenomorphs. I woke with my heart absolutely hammering. I've had an adrenalin come down all day.

This is the most epic dream ever!

#18977 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 24 May 2023 - 08:19 AM

Maybe lay off the 5 balloon glasses of brandy and the "Three Amigos" rewatches before bedtime?
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#18978 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 24 May 2023 - 01:43 PM

I would have complete faith in Steve Martin in these circumstances.
He is the hero those colonists need, want, and deserve.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#18979 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 24 May 2023 - 01:58 PM

Scientists have invented a device that can continuously generate electricity from thin air, offering a glimpse of a possible sustainable energy source that can be made of almost any material and runs on the ambient humidity that surrounds all of us[...]

If you've ever seen a bolt of lightning streak across the sky, you've already had a sneak peek of the untapped power that is hidden in ambient air.
[...]

[...] homes, factories, and perhaps whole cities might be powered by the electricity that is concealed in the air.

[...] practically any material could become an Air-gen device provided it was perforated with tiny holes measuring 100 nanometers or fewer[...]

[...] "Importantly, since air humidity is ubiquitous and continuous 24/7, Air-gen can be deployed almost anywhere for continuous energy harvesting [...]

air is diffusive and filled in the entire vertical space, which means that we can stack many layers of air-gen devices [...] more space efficient" than other power sources [...] "[...] can be engineered into varied form factors and neatly blend into the environment (even without one's notice)" versus the example of "a solar panel that exclusively takes up space."

Scientists Working to Generate Electricity From Thin Air Make Breakthrough (vice.com)

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 24 May 2023 - 01:59 PM

#18980 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 24 May 2023 - 07:53 PM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 24 May 2023 - 01:58 PM, said:

Scientists have invented a device that can continuously generate electricity from thin air, offering a glimpse of a possible sustainable energy source that can be made of almost any material and runs on the ambient humidity that surrounds all of us[...]

If you've ever seen a bolt of lightning streak across the sky, you've already had a sneak peek of the untapped power that is hidden in ambient air.
[...]

[...] homes, factories, and perhaps whole cities might be powered by the electricity that is concealed in the air.

[...] practically any material could become an Air-gen device provided it was perforated with tiny holes measuring 100 nanometers or fewer[...]

[...] "Importantly, since air humidity is ubiquitous and continuous 24/7, Air-gen can be deployed almost anywhere for continuous energy harvesting [...]

air is diffusive and filled in the entire vertical space, which means that we can stack many layers of air-gen devices [...] more space efficient" than other power sources [...] "[...] can be engineered into varied form factors and neatly blend into the environment (even without one's notice)" versus the example of "a solar panel that exclusively takes up space."

Scientists Working to Generate Electricity From Thin Air Make Breakthrough (vice.com)

Without knowing more I would guess this has the hallmarks of vaporware. Science that sounds great and may indeed work on the small scale but cant in reality be scaled up to realistic numbers.

Hope I am wrong but doubt it.

Share this topic:

• 964 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users