• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Whats making you happy right now

#19001 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 04 June 2023 - 04:21 AM

Wow, someone finally followed logic to it's natural conclusion and an entire school district is now hoist by their own petard. Can you taste the irony? :rofl:

Utah district bans The Bible for thousands of students due to ‘vulgarity’
The Bible has been removed from library shelves for thousands of students as one district deems the Christian scripture too “violent” and “vulgar”.

https://www.news.com...c1ca549e0e5e20e

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 04 June 2023 - 04:21 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#19002 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 06 June 2023 - 02:00 PM

I'm visiting the London office for a couple of days. Gave the last minute West End ticket app a glance, not particularly expecting anything... I've got a ticket to see Hamilton tonight! Posted Image
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#19003 User is online   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 06 June 2023 - 02:30 PM

Hah, I saw Hadestown last week on Broadway. Spectacular show. Eva Noblezada is a treasure.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#19004 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 07 June 2023 - 06:51 AM

View Postamphibian, on 06 June 2023 - 02:30 PM, said:

Hah, I saw Hadestown last week on Broadway. Spectacular show. Eva Noblezada is a treasure.

Amazing! She has the most beautiful voice :) it's coming to the West End next year so I'm hoping to see it at some point.

Hamilton was incredible. I watched the Disney+ filmed version during lockdown and it really fails to capture the importance of the movement and dancing, and it was nice to have all the little narrative in-between bits in as intended too. Many tears, would see it again in a heartbeat.
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#19005 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 08 June 2023 - 04:27 PM

Supreme Court rules — just barely — that racial gerrymandering still violates voting rights

[...] Chief Justice John Roberts, who often rules against voting rights, wrote the majority opinion.

[...] Roberts and Justice Brett Kavanaugh joined the court's three liberal-leaning justices in the decision, which held that the voting map used in the 2022 congressional elections in Alabama was illegal.

The ruling agreed with the findings of a lower federal court that "Alabama's extensive history of repugnant racial and voting-related discrimination is undeniable and well documented" and "Black Alabamians enjoy virtually zero success in statewide elections," noting that the state of Alabama hasn't challenged that conclusion in its arguments before the Supreme Court.

"The Court sees no reason to disturb the District Court's careful factual findings, which are subject to clear error review and have gone unchallenged by Alabama in any event,"

Supreme Court Upholds Ban on Racial Gerrymandering in Alabama Case

Mouth fell open....

Maybe Roberts and Kavanaugh are tired of seeming like pure right-wing hacks?

Probably want to save their hackery points for where it really matters to them---money and pseudo-paleo-Catholic supremacy....

(Pseudo-Paleo-Catholic: like Catholicism, but rejecting the liberal Pope and embracing pseudo 'bronze age' patriarchal ultraviolent mentality.)

#19006 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 08 June 2023 - 04:55 PM

THE VENTURE BROS. complete box set comes out next week! Oh man, I cannot wait. And that price is reasonable as hell for 82 episodes of TV.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#19007 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 08 June 2023 - 04:59 PM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 08 June 2023 - 04:27 PM, said:

Supreme Court rules — just barely — that racial gerrymandering still violates voting rights

[...] Chief Justice John Roberts, who often rules against voting rights, wrote the majority opinion.

[...] Roberts and Justice Brett Kavanaugh joined the court's three liberal-leaning justices in the decision, which held that the voting map used in the 2022 congressional elections in Alabama was illegal.

The ruling agreed with the findings of a lower federal court that "Alabama's extensive history of repugnant racial and voting-related discrimination is undeniable and well documented" and "Black Alabamians enjoy virtually zero success in statewide elections," noting that the state of Alabama hasn't challenged that conclusion in its arguments before the Supreme Court.

"The Court sees no reason to disturb the District Court's careful factual findings, which are subject to clear error review and have gone unchallenged by Alabama in any event,"

Supreme Court Upholds Ban on Racial Gerrymandering in Alabama Case

Mouth fell open....

Maybe Roberts and Kavanaugh are tired of seeming like pure right-wing hacks?

Probably want to save their hackery points for where it really matters to them---money and pseudo-paleo-Catholic supremacy....

(Pseudo-Paleo-Catholic: like Catholicism, but rejecting the liberal Pope and embracing pseudo 'bronze age' patriarchal ultraviolent mentality.)

Kavanaugh was probably drunk ʅ(ツ)ʃ
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#19008 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 09 June 2023 - 11:29 PM

So long and fuck you Boris!

#19009 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 10 June 2023 - 02:27 PM

His regular slot on GB News is no doubt days away.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#19010 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 10 June 2023 - 04:27 PM

View PostMacros, on 09 June 2023 - 11:29 PM, said:

So long and fuck you Boris!

When I first saw this I was hoping that he'd died... I'm a bit disappointed that he didn't (yet...).

Glad to see this though:

Boris Johnson's Comeback Hopes May Be Dimmer Than He Thinks

[...] As he has on so many other occasions, Mr. Johnson seemed to be channeling his political hero, [...] Churchill, [...] who was swept out of power in 1945 only to return [...] in triumph six years later.

Yet this time, political analysts expressed skepticism about a Churchillian restoration for Mr. Johnson. With little support beyond a rump of hard-core Brexiteers in Parliament, and a British public that has grown weary of the Boris soap opera, they said there was almost no plausible path back to power for him.

[...] Britain's parliamentary system makes any Trump-style resurgence far more difficult. [...] Sunak and [...] Conservative Party leadership have a say over whether Mr. Johnson can run for another seat in the House of Commons.

Boris Johnson's Comeback Hopes May Be Dimmer Than He Thinks - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 10 June 2023 - 04:27 PM

#19011 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 11 June 2023 - 11:40 AM

Always nice to beat India, doubly sweet doing it in England. :D :thumbsup:
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#19012 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 11 June 2023 - 03:15 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 11 June 2023 - 11:40 AM, said:

Always nice to beat India, doubly sweet doing it in England. :D :thumbsup:

This update brought to you from the ruling class of Victorian Britain.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#19013 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 16 June 2023 - 05:33 AM

2 weeks maui, on the beach chilling having some beers.

Life in good. I try to make to Lahiana every couple of years to destress. Great place if your west coast.

Lots of turtles this year too!
-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#19014 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 17 June 2023 - 05:13 PM

Over the past few weeks, [...] in Texas, the very picture of a recalcitrant red state soaked with fossil fuel[...]

[...] Republicans in the State Legislature, following the lead of the climate skeptic Gov. Greg Abbott, launched a counteroffensive, putting forward a series of bills to undermine renewables, prop up fossil fuel production and effectively kill clean energy in the state.

[...] it looked as if it would be the same old story [...] with an inevitable-seeming conclusion. But then?

“A remarkable coalition of environmentalists, industry organizations and business groups [...] stopped very real efforts to shut down the renewable energy industry in Texas,” [...]

Last year, [...] existing wind and solar power reduced the state’s wholesale energy spending by about $11 billion — almost three times the savings of the previous year. [...] green-energy tax credits in the Inflation Reduction Act are poised to create more than 100,000 jobs in Texas by 2030 — which would add more than $15 billion to the state economy over that time.

The gains are expected to be similar in Florida [...] But it’s not just a couple of red states: The logic of the energy transition has been transformed across the country.

[...] It is no longer clean energy that requires political interventions for survival. And increasingly it is fossil fuels flailing about for political lifelines to impede market forces. [...] the status quo has been effectively inverted.

Opinion | Even in Texas, You Can’t Stop the Green Revolution

It still won't be enough, but it will help.

Here's hoping for accelerated development of air-gen, Huc, solar beamed from space (another recent breakthrough---using microwaves so it's not affected by cloud cover), and other promising new alternatives.

Scientists Beam Solar Power From Space to Earth in World First

#19015 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 17 June 2023 - 08:45 PM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 17 June 2023 - 05:13 PM, said:

It still won't be enough, but it will help.

Here's hoping for accelerated development of air-gen, Huc, solar beamed from space (another recent breakthrough---using microwaves so it's not affected by cloud cover), and other promising new alternatives.

Scientists Beam Solar Power From Space to Earth in World First

Uh-huh, cool. Well, fingers crossed for the first, and for the second ...

Here's what I thought the collector/transmitter might look like:

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 17 June 2023 - 08:45 PM

#19016 User is offline   Briar King 

• High Fist
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 23 June 2023 - 02:35 PM

As a parent you always want your offspring to surpass you. Woot my son lost his virginity a full month ahead of when I did. Go forth young one!
Drive by bye bye king on my dumb horse

#19017 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 23 June 2023 - 05:36 PM

View PostBriar King, on 23 June 2023 - 02:35 PM, said:

As a parent you always want your offspring to surpass you. Woot my son lost his virginity a full month ahead of when I did. Go forth young one!

Dude! Welcome back! :D

... but shouldn't it be first? Or hopefully second on the night, so to speak ...? ;)

And never forget the wisdom of the ages: don't be silly, tarp the willy. :thumbsup:

High fives all round though.

#19018 User is offline   Briar King 

• High Fist
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 23 June 2023 - 08:54 PM

So late last year I decided to try and grow some satsumas from our tree for the 1st time. Of the nine seeds I put in cups I got 3 of them growing. I gave one to the neighbor since they always came and picked our tree. That one died months later.. my two survived the cup process and made it to the 1st pot. Soon they will be ready for the 2nd. Still can’t go into the ground till next spring and that sucks as that Xmas artic blast finished off what winter storms Uri and Viola started in 2021… the parent tree is completely dead so no fruit picking for the next few years. That sucks so bad after a good 12 years of having some delicious satsumas in their hundreds each fall. It makes it very special if these trees survive my dumb ass that long and make it into the ground. They have been my little jewels for about 7 months now.
Drive by bye bye king on my dumb horse

#19019 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 26 June 2023 - 12:46 PM

It was the big Pride events in Toronto this past weekend. Always fun and the wife and kids enjoy the events and parade. My kids school does events aimed directly at young kids like face painting, animals, colouring, frisbee and golf ect. so that was fun too.

But what always strikes me about this now is that those Convoyers, and the anti-mask/anti-vaxx crowd who have now pivoted to being anti-LGBTQ+ and anti-drag show, anti-Trans as their new grift....always claim how many of them there are (and think they are a majority) when it's a few hundred people marching down Yonge St yelling their stupid slogans...meanwhile Pride summons tens of thousands of people in support without effort. It's nice to know that most people are not the bad eggs, and the bad eggs really are such a small few that we can drown them out.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#19020 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 27 June 2023 - 12:49 PM

Seeing Iron Maiden live tomorrow! :D
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

Share this topic:

• 965 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic