Posted 27 April 2023 - 07:07 PM

Worked for Reag—-damn you, cat.

#18922 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 28 April 2023 - 02:54 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 27 April 2023 - 08:01 AM, said:

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 26 April 2023 - 09:19 PM, said:

Skeptical about the 'accurate' part, but since it's open-source software, it should at least speed the development of AI in China, which will benefit the world (overall)---hopefully.... If that idiot Biden doesn't mess things up (and possibly initiate WWIII---he's on the verge of death anyway and thinks he's going to Heaven so why should he care? all the good folks will go to Heaven with him, and maybe he can be president there too!... (while Trump gets to be president down in hell, which he fervently believes to be Heaven?...)).

Is that you, Bottle?

I think if you believe Chinese development of AI will be a benefit to the world

Overall is key there.

China has extraordinary potential as a contributor to the development of AI. The authoritarian regime's data collection and surveillance give them a major advantage.

We've been conditioned to assume that 'authoritarian regime' means 'bad', but that's not necessarily true. Of course there are some major issues with the regime---their treatment of LGBTQ issues or some non-Chinese minority cultures, for example. But that is ultimately outweighed by the advance of science and technology, and the acceleration of the eventual end of de facto forced labor for the vast majority of the population, which is an extreme evil far too many people have become inured too (a form of Stockholm syndrome, perhaps).

The success of TikTok and other Chinese apps in the Anglophone world have demonstrated the applicability of these advances outside of the Sinophone.

But even if the immediate benefit of Chinese AI chatbots were constrained to the Chinese economy, they will help enable scientific advances, either through direct usage or by freeing potential researchers to focus more on advancing research.

and Biden will start WWIII, I think you need to take a few steps back and reassess.Besides, if Biden really does go full dementia, I'd think there's a rather large organisation around him that will fill him with all the happy meds and ship him off somewhere quiet.

The key word there is 'possibly'.

Biden has effectively promised to start WWIII if China takes military action against Taiwan. I'm not so sure anyone else in government or the military would stop him.

Of course one could claim that China is 'initiating' it in that scenario. But Biden is currently the primary aggressor in the economic and geopolitical Cold War against China. Trying to cut them off from the most advanced commercially produced AI chips is a major act of aggression.

But that part was mostly in jest, as I'm pretty sure it's very unlikely. Certainly nowhere near as nightmare-inducing as Ted Lasso.

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 28 April 2023 - 03:13 PM

#18923 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 28 April 2023 - 03:09 PM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 28 April 2023 - 02:54 PM, said:

We've been conditioned to assume that 'authoritarian regime' means 'bad', but that's not necessarily true. ...

I eagerly await your example of a benevolent authoritarian regime.
Take your time.

Dr. Doom's Latveria does not count.

THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#18924 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 28 April 2023 - 03:15 PM

View PostAbyss, on 28 April 2023 - 03:09 PM, said:

We've been conditioned to assume that 'authoritarian regime' means 'bad', but that's not necessarily true. ...

Take your time.

Vietnam seems pretty good.

Singapore has some more obvious negatives (treatment of drug use most glaringly), but overall benevolent. China has more on the 'negative' side, but overall they appear mostly benevolent.

#18925 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 28 April 2023 - 03:31 PM

Take your time.

Our house. Provided that my wife hasn't had a bad day at work. In that case it can get a bit oppressive.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#18926 User is online   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 28 April 2023 - 10:57 PM

Take your time.

Sombratopia.

Because you know it makes sense. :)

In the Real World™ I think the closest I've seen to a good balance would be Singapore. But you need to have a populace with a culture that would already be amenable to that sort of thing, for "the greater good" etc. Society a slight bit over the individual. And you need politicians and bureaurcrats that think that way as well. The Old Man got a bit too big for his britches at times, but you can't deny it's an amazing place.
I also tend not to view their approach to drugs as a negative.

Obviously, their approach would not work in 'Murica.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 28 April 2023 - 11:02 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#18927 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 29 April 2023 - 01:15 AM

The day the Galactic Empire made enemies of the Ewoks of Endor is the day it fell.

Watched return of the Jedi for the 40th anniversary.

#18928 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 29 April 2023 - 06:01 PM

View PostCause, on 29 April 2023 - 01:15 AM, said:

The day the Galactic Empire made enemies of the Ewoks of Endor is the day it fell.

Watched return of the Jedi for the 40th anniversary.

The Ewoks are even worse than Ted Lasso! Wait...

No stranger to making movies that feature broader political themes (refer to THX-1138 and his short films), Lucas also used the Ewoks as a metaphor for the Viet Cong who fought the US government's GI Forces.

Star Wars was a commentary on the Vietnam War | Wealth of Geeks

Nah, they're awesome.

#18929 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 30 April 2023 - 07:29 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 28 April 2023 - 10:57 PM, said:

Take your time.

Sombratopia.

Because you know it makes sense. :)

In the Real World™ I think the closest I've seen to a good balance would be Singapore. But you need to have a populace with a culture that would already be amenable to that sort of thing, for "the greater good" etc. Society a slight bit over the individual. And you need politicians and bureaurcrats that think that way as well. The Old Man got a bit too big for his britches at times, but you can't deny it's an amazing place.
I also tend not to view their approach to drugs as a negative.

Obviously, their approach would not work in 'Murica.

You trying to suggest ' muricans are not selfish picks?

#18930 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 02 May 2023 - 04:54 PM

More great news for the future of humanity:

[...] Silicon-based electronic systems have transformed the computational landscape. But [...] they are slow in processing signal, they work through data serially and not in parallel, and they can only be miniaturized to a certain extent. Photonics is one of the most promising alternatives because it can overcome all these shortcomings.

[...] researchers [...] have created a photonic device that provides programmable on-chip information processing without lithography, offering the speed of photonics augmented by superior accuracy and flexibility for AI applications.

[...] Without lithography, these chips become adaptable data-processing powerhouses. Because patterns are not pre-defined and etched in, [...] the lack of lithography renders the microchip impressively reprogrammable[...]

[...] the intricacy or minimalism of the device is a sort of living thing, adaptable in ways no etched microchip could be.

[...] This ultimate reconfigurability is critical for real-time machine learning and AI.

Lithography-free photonic chip offers speed and accuracy for artificial intelligence

The need for lithography would have made it difficult for China to get around the import bans Biden has bullied other countries into, so this is great news for China. Biden's evil plan to deny China access to the most powerful AI chips may yet backfire by spurring China to develop photonic chips which are much more powerful than the most powerful silicon chips....

Lithography-free photonic chips should excel at implementing liquid neural networks. More good news on that front too:

[...] demonstrated the efficiency of a new kind of very small—20,000 parameter—machine learning system called a liquid neural network. They showed that drones equipped with these excelled in navigating complex, new environments with precision, even edging out state-of-the art systems. The systems were able to make decisions that led them to a target in previously unexplored forests and city spaces, and they could do it in the presence of added noise and other difficulties.

Neural networks in typical machine learning systems learn only during the training process. After that, their parameters are fixed. Liquid neural networks[...] are a class of artificial intelligence systems that learn on the job, even after their training. In other words, they comprise "liquid" algorithms that continuously adapt to new information, such as a new environment, just like the brains of living organisms. "They are directly modeled after how neurons and synapses interact in biological brains," [...] their network architecture is inspired by the nervous system of living creatures called C. elegans, tiny worms commonly found in the soil.

"We can implement a liquid neural network that can drive a car on a Raspberry Pi"

"Liquid" Neural Network Adapts on the Go - IEEE Spectrum

Love that they're modeled after tiny worms....

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 02 May 2023 - 04:55 PM

#18931 User is offline   Fid 

• Old Git of High House Muttley

Posted 02 May 2023 - 08:22 PM

Spending a May Day Bank Holiday afternoon in a coffee shop in Altrincham with Stone Monkey and Dag. Must be a year since last time we got together (with Mr & Mrs Brood) so the tradition of a Manchester meet up is maintained and I got to see them (plus Hetan and Malaclypse) in the past 9 months.

Looking forward to further meet-ups

#18932 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 03 May 2023 - 06:14 AM

View PostFid, on 02 May 2023 - 08:22 PM, said:

Spending a May Day Bank Holiday afternoon in a coffee shop in Altrincham with Stone Monkey and Dag. Must be a year since last time we got together (with Mr & Mrs Brood) so the tradition of a Manchester meet up is maintained and I got to see them (plus Hetan and Malaclypse) in the past 9 months.

Looking forward to further meet-ups

Oh man I miss you guys, it's not so easy to just pop over and see you any more...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#18933 User is offline   Fid 

• Old Git of High House Muttley

Posted 03 May 2023 - 02:22 PM

Dag and Stone Monkey were reminiscing about the early Manchester Meet Ups - happy days indeed.

#18934 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 03 May 2023 - 02:31 PM

Facebook today reminded me of one of them, years ago now... Not sure you were at that one but Cougar and his chest minge were!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#18935 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 03 May 2023 - 06:04 PM

I'd be keen to try organise another London one for autumn this year, we are hoping to get over to see a show

#18936 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 04 May 2023 - 02:47 PM

After dating around a bit, I have a very strong connection with someone that's lasted several weeks now. The hitch is that she lives 3 hours away in a house she's built. But she's super brilliant, funny, attractive, has a kid that she would crash through brick walls for, and thinks I am the bee's knees with all of my downsides (divorce, distance, Deaf etc).

I am going up this weekend to see her and see if this will be something worth pursuing full time.

In other news, my kinda feckless cousin invited me to her wedding May 20 in Tasmania. Due to family obligations, someone has to go and it's me. So I get a family-paid trip down there and am currently working on getting my expired passport rectified.

Gotta hug a wombat, quokka, and/or Tassie Devil.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#18937 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 04 May 2023 - 07:24 PM

Wow that's a lot of cool stuff for you Amph I'm chuffed for you!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#18938 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 04 May 2023 - 10:46 PM

Three hours is less than one LOTR movie. It’s doable!
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#18939 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 05 May 2023 - 03:46 AM

Think of how much reading and movie watching you can get done.

You’ve been given the gift of time!
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#18940 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 05 May 2023 - 07:20 AM

View Postworry, on 04 May 2023 - 10:46 PM, said:

Three hours is less than one LOTR movie. It’s doable!

But what if he wants to watch LOTR en route? It's not possible!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

Share this topic:

• 965 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic