• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big TV Thread

#7221 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 12 September 2022 - 09:05 PM

Loved season 1 and 2, thought 3 was just ok.

Didn’t plan on watching 4, but if it’s good I will.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#7222 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 12 September 2022 - 09:49 PM

See, I thought s2 was not all that good. I felt it was just a lot of running towards one place. s3 was weird and the show continues leaning into that in s4, but it's overall cohesive by the end and damn it's some crazy stuff.

So for me, probably 1>4>3>2.

#7223 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 12 September 2022 - 09:54 PM

We finished Better Call Saul at the weekend. It was absolutely bloody great. Not sure how I feel about the ending but the fact that I have been left pondering it for a few days is a big thumbs up for me.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#7224 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 12 September 2022 - 10:00 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 12 September 2022 - 09:49 PM, said:

See, I thought s2 was not all that good. I felt it was just a lot of running towards one place. s3 was weird and the show continues leaning into that in s4, but it's overall cohesive by the end and damn it's some crazy stuff.

So for me, probably 1>4>3>2.

That’s fair about season 2. Possible most of why I liked it was spillover from how awesome 1 was. Still 1>2>3 at this point though.

Better Caul Saul friggin ruled.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#7225 User is offline   Briar King 

• High Fist
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 13 September 2022 - 08:13 PM

Much as I thought The Crown has been on the top 10 since the day after. Currently in 4th and I have been contributing to the ratings pausing my SG1/Numenor I mean Atlantis dual watch binge.
Drive by bye bye king on my dumb horse

#7226 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 14 September 2022 - 06:41 AM

Welcome to Wrexham certainly went south quickly ...

https://www.news.com...db987dc7273c518

Ryan Reynolds undergoes ‘potentially life-saving’ surgery
The actor shared a candid video with his followers, explaining that he wanted to de-stigmatise the procedure he’d just undergone.

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#7227 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 14 September 2022 - 03:38 PM

So having read the book this is based on (and considering the author whose fictionalized story it is...is an ethereal weirdo), and the fact that it's had many people attached to it over the years (the most prolific was Johnny Depp who spent years trying to get this made as a movie)....there's a lot riding on this.

I know the creators have made sure to hire some writers on the show of Indian descent like Ben Dubash, Bornila Chatterjee, and Marisha Mukerjee (likely to offset Robert's very white man POV in the book), which is a good thing. I'm not, however, sold on the casting other than Hunnam (who is a perfect choice for Lin) and Alexander Siddig who is great in everything...the actor playing Prabaker (sounds like they call him Prabhu in the series?) I've not seen him in anything, but he needs to nail that portrayal as he's the most compelling person in the story to me.

I also know that the original writer and show runner on the first 3 episodes left due to the COVID Pandemic and may other things, so who knows if it will feel disjointed as a result.

Anyways, we will see. Maybe this will prompt me to finally read the sequel, which I've had for a few years and never read.

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7228 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 14 September 2022 - 08:46 PM

I think there is a punchline to a joke somewhere in there - "Wrexham'd em? Damn near killed him."

#7229 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 15 September 2022 - 06:58 PM

Finished up the most recent season of What We Do in The Shadows (s4). Another clever and hilarious season. Don't think I liked it as much as s3. Wasn't like a huge drop off or anything; it's still fresh with me, so I'll reassess after it has settled with me a bit. Any season of WWDITS is better than probably 90% of 1/2 hour-ish comedy series out there, so no major complaints. The comedy coming out of the vampire residence and its denizens is still firing on all cylinders.

This post has been edited by Malankazooie: 15 September 2022 - 07:00 PM

#7230 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 17 September 2022 - 04:10 PM

Watching the She-Hulk show.

This is incredibly boring.

Also I really hate the smart hulk angle. That's not an interesting take on a character, who's defining trait is being an uncontrollable rage monster.

Edit: Oh wait a hulk fight. That's actually kind of cool. But I still hate the approach to the character. There's no danger of a loss of control. No downside to the super powers.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 17 September 2022 - 04:26 PM

#7231 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 17 September 2022 - 06:50 PM

4 episodes in to She Hulk. This show is incredibly weak. There's little story to actually care about.

It's not a serious show, but it's not funny either. The characters problems are the nonsense bullshit of a rich white woman.

It could be a fun super power take on a lawyer show but it doesn't have any of the cleverness or charm of Boston Legal or... Ally McBeal?

The only thing it has going for it is references to past movies.

#7232 User is offline   Briar King 

• High Fist
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 18 September 2022 - 04:32 AM

I honestly think I’m done with Marvel products. My hate has slowly built up from Endgame shitfest on. I’ve skipped out on the last few movies and past 4 shows. She Hulk looks very stupid from the trailers I’ve seen. I feel like the golden age of that franchise is far in the past and I was happy to be along for its ride but I’m off the train and feel clean about it.

#7233 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 18 September 2022 - 09:21 PM

We started Stranger Things S4. It's scary!
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#7234 User is offline   Briar King 

• High Fist
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 21 September 2022 - 08:05 PM

I don’t typically ever get uncomfortable when watching something. Sometimes it happens though. Dahmer ep 1 was such an occasion. These people are channeling some black shit here.

#7235 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 22 September 2022 - 02:11 AM

View PostCancelled, on 21 September 2022 - 08:05 PM, said:

I don’t typically ever get uncomfortable when watching something. Sometimes it happens though. Dahmer ep 1 was such an occasion. These people are channeling some black shit here.

I stopped listening to true crime podcasts and whatnot for this reason. These are dark and evil people and I’m simply not down with sensationalizing them by fictionalizing their killings like this. I saw that pop up on Netflix and I was like “absolutely the fuck not”.

I used to be able to stomach such things. No longer.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7236 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 22 September 2022 - 12:35 PM

Watching Cyberpunk: Edgerunners on Netflix. Just started ep 4 out of 10 in this season.

Seems fun so far, very familiar tropes based on the old CP TT RPG games I played way back in the day. :)
I understand it was also done in association with CD Project Red or whatever they are called, so those of you who have played the RPG (when it worked) may recognise some things and enjoy it also.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 22 September 2022 - 12:36 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#7237 User is offline   Briar King 

• High Fist
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 22 September 2022 - 11:34 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 22 September 2022 - 02:11 AM, said:

View PostCancelled, on 21 September 2022 - 08:05 PM, said:

I stopped listening to true crime podcasts and whatnot for this reason. These are dark and evil people and I’m simply not down with sensationalizing them by fictionalizing their killings like this. I saw that pop up on Netflix and I was like “absolutely the fuck not”.

I used to be able to stomach such things. No longer.

Made it to ep 4. The start was way worse than present. I watch things like this that are associated with my past chosen career path before my body decided to say no you can’t. Understandable that it is revolting to people.

#7238 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 27 September 2022 - 12:08 AM

Finished the Colosseum documentary series on History. Really interesting. I think I enjoyed the Beastmaster episode the most. The variety of exotic wild animals they put on display in the battles was mind boggling. Slaves with knowledge of the animals from their homelands were given the responsibility of training and caring for them until the games. Most renowned of which was Carpophorus.

Following the Beastmaster episode I probably liked The Builder episode next (because the engineering that went into the structure is also mind boggling), and then The Gladiatrix episode (because tough women rock!). I would have totally groveled before Mevia and pleaded, "yes mistress Mevia. " You do mistress Mevia."

The reenactments were not all that great, but it was an interesting take and the commentary by historians and scholars (along with the narration) downplayed the cheesiness of the acting and scenes.

Man, just think about living during that time. Would have been crazy.

#7239 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 27 September 2022 - 01:36 PM

The new quantum leap show is actually good! Hope they keep up the momentum.
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#7240 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 29 September 2022 - 04:27 AM

Reservation Dogs s2 in the can. This season might have been even sadder than the first one, but also at least as funny, and that's saying something. Those last two eps -- very cathartic. Really one of my favorite things on TV right now.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

Share this topic:

• 388 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users