• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big TV Thread

#6681 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 01 August 2021 - 07:28 AM

I couldn't help myself. I thought I was stronger, but I caved like a little bitch and watched Ted Lasso ep 1 and 2.

Oh sure, it was good at the time. Felt great even. But now I just feel sad and not-in-a-good-way dirty.

And I want more of that sweet, sweet Ted goodness.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#6682 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 03 August 2021 - 11:05 PM

huh, LeVar Burton's stint hosting Jeopardy! was one week (the previous hosts had a two week run). That's a bummer. Burton did improve after that first night, but there were still some choppy moments.

#6683 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 06 August 2021 - 03:08 PM

Started watching "Dark" the German Netflix time travel show. One episode in and I have no clue what's going on, the name seems all too appropriate, and I am loving it!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#6684 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 06 August 2021 - 03:59 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 06 August 2021 - 03:08 PM, said:

Started watching "Dark" the German Netflix time travel show. One episode in and I have no clue what's going on, the name seems all too appropriate, and I am loving it!

You will have to keep a journal to keep up with the characters and plot points.

It's a STUNNINGLY good show though. Probably my second fave Netflix show after COBRA KAI. It's also complete, 3 seasons and done, just like the writers planned from the outset.

Enjoy!

Sidenote: I went out of my way to find a coat that looks JUST like Jonas's yellow hooded coat (Old Navy sold a very similar one the year DARK debuted) just because of this show.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#6685 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 06 August 2021 - 04:55 PM

Ha! ESPN is running "The Ocho" type programming again (for what looks like a day's worth of programming wackiness).

There's something called "Strongman: Clash on the Coast." Is that the deal where The Mountain from GoT is supposed to fight that Beast guy? Is his name Eddie?

Also, new this year is the Mullet Championships and Air Guitar Championships. Also Døds Diving (aka Death Diving) is back, but I think it might be a replay of last year's contest.

#6686 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 06 August 2021 - 06:25 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 06 August 2021 - 03:59 PM, said:

It's a STUNNINGLY good show though. Probably my second fave Netflix show after COBRA KAI. It's also complete, 3 seasons and done, just like the writers planned from the outset.

Enjoy!

Sidenote: I went out of my way to find a coat that looks JUST like Jonas's yellow hooded coat (Old Navy sold a very similar one the year DARK debuted) just because of this show.

Yeah I'm 1 episode in and already trying to work out how everyone is linked to everyone else. And that's before all the weird time travel stuff I saw on the trailer haha
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#6687 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 06 August 2021 - 06:39 PM

Beyond how good DARK is on a storytelling level, the casting department should get the Nobel Prize in Casting.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#6688 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 06 August 2021 - 07:58 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 06 August 2021 - 06:25 PM, said:

Enjoy!

Yeah I'm 1 episode in and already trying to work out how everyone is linked to everyone else. And that's before all the weird time travel stuff I saw on the trailer haha

Just to echo what worry and qt have said the first season dark was probably one of the most engrossing series I've watched. I havnt watched the following 2 seasons and know I'll have to rewatch season 1 as there's so many moving parts.

The mrs didn't like it and I havnt dedicated the time to it.

#6689 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 06 August 2021 - 08:07 PM

Thanks all my only concern is that I don't have the mental capacity to focus on it all haha life is somewhat full at the moment and most of my watching has been quite easy.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#6690 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 06 August 2021 - 08:38 PM

Enjoy!

I second every bit of QT's statement (especially about taking notes!) except I have Dark ahead of Stranger Things, then probably Cobra Kai. Dark is one of the best, if not THE best show I've seen in probably 15 years.

#6691 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 10 August 2021 - 04:30 AM

Reservation Dogs (FX/Hulu/I think it's on that Disney+ for adults thing outside the US): 2 episodes out so far, and it's pretty great. Verrrrry funny, occasionally sad, and so far pretty much always charming. Centers around 4 good but rough around the edges kids. It was co-created by Taika Waititi so if you've liked his kid characters, you'll probably like these ones. The other co-creator (Sterling Harjo, who is Native American) likely is the driving force for the show, but his sensibilities seem to be a match made in heaven with TW's. Not as much quirk, but just as much wry and unexpected humor.

Also, the dude who played Hanzee on S2 of Fargo is in this as a recurring character, and he is SO funny. I won't say he steals the show, cuz everyone's good, but he's definitely a highlight of every scene he's in.

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#6692 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 10 August 2021 - 12:25 PM

Finished SCHITT'S CREEK. What a wonderful show, and what a great set of plot resolutions for the last season for these characters. Many tears were shed.

Now onto something new.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#6693 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 11 August 2021 - 01:23 AM

CNN has been running a docuseries about the history of the sitcom. They had an episode about workplace comedies, so the obvious culprits were covered - The Office, Parks and Rec, 30 Rock.. and so forth.

In the discussion about the American version of The Office, the pilot (and very early episodes I think) where done in a shot for shot copy of the British version. And it rated terribly. This caused them to alter course and branch out and do their own thing. That gives me hope that if/when I watch more episodes, they will get better. The thing is, I've seen clips of the original British version and I thought it was hilarious. I guess it just didn't translate well over to the Americanized version?

Also, I've never seen Scrubs. It had some minor coverage in this episode about workplace comedies and looks hilarious. Can anyone vouch for it?

#6694 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 11 August 2021 - 05:11 AM

Yes we discussed all this a couple of pages back or maybe another thread...

Scrubs is the best. I need say no more.

I'm a huge fan of the British Office and the American version was terrible until they decided to stop trying to just do that and do their own thing.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#6695 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 11 August 2021 - 06:30 AM

Oh, absolutely. I actually started that discussion, ha! I was just confirming that the history of sitcoms series on CNN confirmed what you guys stated up thread about british and american versions of The Office.

Scrubs discussion is new to me though, so I must have missed that one. It looks really hilarious. The talking mole after shaving the mustache bit was fantastic.

#6696 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 11 August 2021 - 12:39 PM

We started YELLOWSTONE...it was good. I'm not sure I know entirely all that's going on yet, but the characters are all compelling and Costner is ace.

#6697 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 11 August 2021 - 02:09 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 11 August 2021 - 12:39 PM, said:

We started YELLOWSTONE...it was good. I'm not sure I know entirely all that's going on yet, but the characters are all compelling and Costner is ace.

Yellowstone is class and well worth the watch. I really enjoyed it and eagerly awaiting the next season after how the last season ended...

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#6698 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 11 August 2021 - 02:29 PM

View Postchamp, on 11 August 2021 - 02:09 PM, said:

Yellowstone is class and well worth the watch. I really enjoyed it and eagerly awaiting the next season after how the last season ended...

Cool stuff!

Yeah I heard they are also making a spinoff that takes place in 1883 that I would imagine is about the Dutton's founding the place?

#6699 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 11 August 2021 - 02:59 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 11 August 2021 - 02:29 PM, said:

Cool stuff!

Yeah I heard they are also making a spinoff that takes place in 1883 that I would imagine is about the Dutton's founding the place?

We like Yellowstone quite a bit as well, though it gets a little over the top in a few places. They make a great effort of showing the Montana landscape, which some shows/movies do not do a good job of. But almost every character on the show is great and well acted, with Costner leading the way, as you say. Kelly Reilly is an absolute scene eater, just vicious and awesome at the same time. And her character might be tougher than I am!

I believe you are correct about the spinoff. I just saw that Tim McGraw will play the Dutton patriarch and Faith Hill will play his wife. And Sam Elliot is in it as well.

#6700 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 11 August 2021 - 05:20 PM

View Postparan falcon, on 11 August 2021 - 02:59 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 11 August 2021 - 02:29 PM, said:

Cool stuff!

We like Yellowstone quite a bit as well, though it gets a little over the top in a few places. They make a great effort of showing the Montana landscape, which some shows/movies do not do a good job of. But almost every character on the show is great and well acted, with Costner leading the way, as you say. Kelly Reilly is an absolute scene eater, just vicious and awesome at the same time. And her character might be tougher than I am!

I believe you are correct about the spinoff. I just saw that Tim McGraw will play the Dutton patriarch and Faith Hill will play his wife. And Sam Elliot is in it as well.

Oh, sweet, I didn't realise they were doing a spinoff...

Yellowstone is just really well done. I love the family dynamic and the way it teases out why things are the way they are.

Shows like this are guilty of people doing dumb shit for the sake of doing dumb shit for the plot/story but there isn't too much of that here.

I don't usually watch shows like this but I was hooked after a couple of eps. Plus, Costner, nuff said there ha...

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

Share this topic:

• 388 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users