• Reaper's Fail
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 11 July 2021 - 11:33 PM

watch scrubs.

#6642 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 12 July 2021 - 12:57 AM

Parks and Rec and The Office both start slow with Season 1. They both had an idea how their lead would work, and it was terrible. By season 2 they'd figured out and they're both awesome.

Somehow i never started Scrubs or 30 Rock. They've always been on my "Man, i need to watch those" list. But never got around to it.

Office Space the movie is glorious, so many great quotes. "...thats just a straight shooter with upper management written all over him".

A friend told me i had to watch Rick and Morty. Watched 2 episodes earlier today. Its weird and funny, I like it so far.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#6643 User is offline   Gwynn ap Nudd 

• High Fist

Posted 12 July 2021 - 03:16 AM

So, Amazon is doing a Good Omens season two. Not quite sure how they are going to pull that off, but looking forward to finding out.

I enjoyed 30 Rock, but it's been years since I watched any episodes so don't quote me on that.

#6644 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 12 July 2021 - 03:38 AM

30 Rock is much more in the business of maximizing jokes-per-minute than the other NBC shows (even Community). This isn't a 1:1 comparison, but it definitely has way more Airplane/The Naked Gun/Get Smart in its DNA, and a lot of The Mary Tyler Moore Show (but for SNL/show business rather than the news), all run through Tina Fey's very distinct comic sensibility.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#6645 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 12 July 2021 - 05:55 AM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 11 July 2021 - 11:33 PM, said:

watch scrubs.

Always the answer.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#6646 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 12 July 2021 - 04:08 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 09 July 2021 - 10:00 PM, said:

Community is up there with the all time best comedies ever (along with Scrubs imnsho). Parks and Rec not far behind. The Office has some superb moments and some utterly hilarious laugh out loud episodes but the quality takes a sharp dive after season 7 when Steve Carrell left. It ends well but it becomes a bit of a slog getting there towards the end.

I agree with Prim, Office Space is great, and there are some homages to it in the original UK version of The Office...

I can't get onboard with this Community review. We're about to start season 6 and I'm kind of wondering how this show got that much love as to keep going.

I quite like many of the bits and stories (especially the Dean), but there's major issues.

1) Early on, Britta is a smart cookie with Don Quixote level windmill tilting. Then she turns into the second dumbest character in the main cast for no good reason.

2) Chevy Chase is used as an outlet for -ist jokes without a payoff that makes those things worthwhile.

3) The show repeats the "Jeff gives a speech" thing way too much - it kills momentum and doesn't make as much sense as giving the other cast members time to shine. Jeff didn't need that much screen time late in most of the episodes.

4) Troy consistently needed more to do beyond say really really weird one liners. The air conditioning school thing was great and the stories where he had to confront his dynamic with Abed were terrific.

5) The theme song is not right and way more depressing than catchy.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#6647 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 12 July 2021 - 04:16 PM

View Postamphibian, on 12 July 2021 - 04:08 PM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 09 July 2021 - 10:00 PM, said:

Community is up there with the all time best comedies ever (along with Scrubs imnsho). Parks and Rec not far behind. The Office has some superb moments and some utterly hilarious laugh out loud episodes but the quality takes a sharp dive after season 7 when Steve Carrell left. It ends well but it becomes a bit of a slog getting there towards the end.

I agree with Prim, Office Space is great, and there are some homages to it in the original UK version of The Office...

I can't get onboard with this Community review. We're about to start season 6 and I'm kind of wondering how this show got that much love as to keep going.

I tried COMMUNITY and thought it was just generally not my cup of tea. Add in the show runner writer guy Harmon being apparently a drunken asshole, with numerous accusations of bad shit against him...and then Chevy Chase being some kind of super dick too...it was easy as pie to check out of that show.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#6648 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 12 July 2021 - 05:27 PM

Community is an ok show with a few really fantastic episodes/plot lines.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#6649 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 12 July 2021 - 06:20 PM

Community, from where I started watching (third to last season I think) was pretty hilarious. I think by then Chevy Chase had done something publicly that led to his role on the show being diminished. There are episodes in there that feature Donald Glover's and Dani Pudi's characters that are must watch.

#6650 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 13 July 2021 - 05:29 PM

Tried to watch some of the 'Shark Week' programming. It's gotten really stupid. I mean it has been trending that way the past number of years, but yeah, it's really bad now. The latest configuration of the Jackass guys took part and some new member named "Poopies" got bit by a shark on the hand and had to be medevaced out of there.

#6651 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 14 July 2021 - 07:28 PM

huh, He-Man was originally a toy tie-in for Conan, but because Conan was too violent and mature rated for children, they decided to turn it into He-Man. That according to Kevin Smith, who I caught a snippet of an interview with during the Shark Week programming (I guess he must be doing the promotional rounds to gin up interest in that cartoon that starts in a few weeks) where he mentioned it briefly. Smith said that cat thing will make everyone cry in episode 2.

#6652 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 16 July 2021 - 02:34 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 02 June 2021 - 06:41 PM, said:

View PostMalankazooie, on 26 May 2021 - 08:14 PM, said:

Hells to the yes! Mr Inbetween returned for season 3.

The promotional poster is rad.

Posted Image

Found out this 3rd season will be the last season. And the way the season opens in the first two episodes you can tell it is going to be the last season and it seems like it won't be a happy ending. Hope I'm wrong.

Finished the final season and I thought it was excellent. I have read comments that it drops off compared to Seasons 1 & 2, but I didn't think so. I like the season 3 dynamic introduced by Ray's daughter entering into adolescence and the headache that causes for a stone cold, steely-eyed assassin/killer. I know some viewers will be let down by the Sopranos style ending, but I thought it was perfect. I mean if you have been following along and paying attention you don't need to have it explicitly played out for you in a final scene. Loved the 4th wall breakage too. (here's a quick tidbit - The finale of the Sopranos is the only episode of the Sopranos I've ever seen, should I give the whole series a try?)

#6653 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 17 July 2021 - 06:16 PM

Started watching season 2 of Dave. GaTa makes the show. Everyone should have that level of passion and resiliency to keep grinding when the chips are down.

The teaser for the season has to be one of the most absurd things I've seen.

#6654 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 19 July 2021 - 01:06 PM

Watching TROY: FALL OF A CITY....and holy shit, this is a fantastic miniseries! It's better than the Wolfgang Petersen movie attempt with Pitt and Bana from a few years back...Paris is cast well, as is Helen...I didn't believe that Diane Krueger was the most beautiful woman in the world....but Bella Dayne very much fits that category for me.

Also, Joseph Mawle is about a thousand times the Odysseus that Sean Bean was....no offence to Bean, but Mawle is simply given more to work with.

I like that Agememnon is not just cartoonishly evil in this...they really make you FEEL it in the episode where he has to sacrifice Iphrigenia...and how it tailors his behaviour afterwards.

Also not only not shying away from the homosexual relationship Achilles would have had with Patroclus (the movie made him his cousin to avoid it), but throwing them into a Throuple with Briseis works too.

Oh, and speaking of Achilles, the diversity of the casting is wonderful too. A great canvas of solid actors across the board really.

Just really loving this. And honestly, they should have kept Mawle and Co. and shot a second season that's The Odyssey...but I understand the show didn't get great ratings?....though I'm at a loss as to why, as it's VERY good. I can find SOME talk of a sequel season, but nothing materialized yet...so probably not.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 19 July 2021 - 01:15 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#6655 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 22 July 2021 - 02:31 PM

Season 3 teaser.

#6656 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 22 July 2021 - 03:48 PM

SURPRISE

#6657 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 23 July 2021 - 02:19 PM

I am not generally a crime show fan. A one season murder mystery (The Fall, The Killing) can usually hold my interest but a longer commitment is iffy at best (LONGMIRE).

Yet i have started BOSCH and DAMN that is good tv.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#6658 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 23 July 2021 - 03:03 PM

View PostAbyss, on 23 July 2021 - 02:19 PM, said:

That whole show only flies at ALL because Titus Welliver is an absolute BEAST of an actor who chews every scene he's in.

#6659 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 23 July 2021 - 03:08 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 23 July 2021 - 03:03 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 23 July 2021 - 02:19 PM, said:

That whole show only flies at ALL because Titus Welliver is an absolute BEAST of an actor who chews every scene he's in.

Am only on S1... so far the production and most of the supporting cast are fairly solid. Plots run from predictable (and yes Welliver carries those) to reasonably interesting.

Also one of those shows that employs a metric tonne of actors we've seen in other shows so it's fun to play 'spot the Sons of Anarchy/Breaking Bad/The Americans/etc cast member'.

#6660 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 23 July 2021 - 05:27 PM

View PostBriar King, on 23 July 2021 - 03:27 PM, said:

Abyss

Try Justified and Mindhunters.

Tnx for the suggestions BK. Justified wasn't quite nuts enough and Mindhunters was only a pale shade next to the glory that was HANNIBAL.

Share this topic:

• 388 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users