• You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big TV Thread

#6181 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 24 August 2020 - 07:13 PM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 24 August 2020 - 02:41 PM, said:

Just finished DETECTORISTS.

Really sweet-natured little "slice of life" comedy. Written by Mackenzie Crook (off The Office etc), starring him and Toby Jones as the main characters.

It's not rolling on the floor funny, it's quite understated and sparse but it's beautifully written so it all works.

Tony Jones is an absolute treasure and that whole show is an utter delight from start to finish. And there are some seriously funny parts, I laughed out loud at least once an episode.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#6182 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 25 August 2020 - 07:06 AM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 24 August 2020 - 07:13 PM, said:

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 24 August 2020 - 02:41 PM, said:

Just finished DETECTORISTS.

Really sweet-natured little "slice of life" comedy. Written by Mackenzie Crook (off The Office etc), starring him and Toby Jones as the main characters.

It's not rolling on the floor funny, it's quite understated and sparse but it's beautifully written so it all works.

Tony Jones is an absolute treasure and that whole show is an utter delight from start to finish. And there are some seriously funny parts, I laughed out loud at least once an episode.

He really is.

I didn't phrase that well at all - there's plenty of laugh out loud moments, I think it's more a case of I like it for the believability and kind-natured element of it. Either way though it's brilliant - Mr Not a Blacksmith is allowed to recommend more things ;)
- Wyrd biđ ful arćd -

#6183 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 25 August 2020 - 11:41 AM

Detectorists is amazingly good.

Fun fact, I watched it for the first time a few years ago when SE mentioned it was one of his favorites.

I’m waiting for you.....
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#6184 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 25 August 2020 - 12:11 PM

Will you search through the lonely earth for me.... Posted Image
- Wyrd biđ ful arćd -

#6185 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 01 September 2020 - 09:49 PM

Finished AFTER LIFE and man I'm glad QT talked me round to watching it. It can be pretty dark at tones but it is genuinely funny and wonderful at other times. Dunno when season 3 is on but I'm all in.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#6186 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 02 September 2020 - 02:08 AM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 01 September 2020 - 09:49 PM, said:

Finished AFTER LIFE and man I'm glad QT talked me round to watching it. It can be pretty dark at tones but it is genuinely funny and wonderful at other times. Dunno when season 3 is on but I'm all in.

Hells yes.

#6187 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 03 September 2020 - 06:41 PM

BK, I've got your new Korean Drama lined up...IT'S OKAY TO NOT BE OKAY...16 eps on Netflix. The first ep was a little weird and almost Tim Burton-esque so I almost dropped it, but the second ep hooked me in 100%, and now I love it.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#6188 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 03 September 2020 - 09:24 PM

View PostBriar King, on 03 September 2020 - 07:08 PM, said:

Hmm cool beans. It ll be quite awhile fore I can check it out.

Here's hoping you get you home situation sorted sooner than the end of the month. I'm crossing my fingers you get help sooner. :)
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#6189 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 05 September 2020 - 06:41 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 26 July 2020 - 06:29 PM, said:

Wat-the-wut?! A G4 reboot is coming in 2021?! I wonder how that will look and what form it will take? G4 used to have the best E3 coverage at one time. I think Gee-off Keeyglee worked for them at one time. Attack of the Show was a lot of fun and gave us Olivia Munn's best work. It was responsible for launching her career.

Posted Image

This was SDCC announcement? Was anyone aware that Comic Con was going on this year? I'm guessing in a "from home" / virtual format?

This put a smile on my face. X-Play used to be my jam! Bowl of cereal and all the gaming news made for a mon-fri daily appointment.

https://twitter.com/...913561401192454

Glad to see Adam Sessler doing this, because I if i remember correctly I believe there was some acrimony when G4 closed up shop. I got the feeling things didn't end on pleasant terms.

#6190 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 07 September 2020 - 03:20 PM

First episode of Raised by Wolves.

#6191 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 07 September 2020 - 09:52 PM

Is raised by wolves any good? When I saw the trailer I thought it was a movie. Just found it’s a tv series and already 3 episodes out?

#6192 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 09 September 2020 - 02:16 AM

Re-watching Letterkenny.

It’s just as fucking funny the second time around.

Wish you weren’t so awkward bud...

#6193 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 09 September 2020 - 02:23 AM

You were hangin out on Malazan Empire the other dayyyyyyy

#6194 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 09 September 2020 - 08:48 AM

Yeah, sorry but I tried a couple of episodes and it just left me bored and wondering what the fuss was.
I felt the same about Seinfeld, Arrested Development and Curb Your Enthusiasm, so I guess there's a trend somewhere.

Yet I loved Blackadder, The Good Place, Yes (Prime) Minister and all sorts of other stuff so ... NFI. :unsure:

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 09 September 2020 - 08:49 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#6195 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 09 September 2020 - 11:09 AM

You are spare parts aren’t ya bud?

#6196 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 09 September 2020 - 01:40 PM

STAR TREK LOWER DECKS is really good. It's scratching a totally different itch than I would normally wish from a Trek show, but that's not a bad thing. It's a light, and fun with the pastiche of TNG and the writing of like Rick & Morty.

Well worth a Trek fan's time.

It very much seems like all the different Trek shows are attempting/doing different things as TV.

DISCO: A show that really is about discovery, but with the newest edge of technology.
PICARD: A nostalgia show that bends the lens of what the Federation is around events that test and try it.
LOWER DECKS: Light, and fun with the pastiche of TNG and the writing of like Rick & Morty.
Forthcoming STRANGE NEW WORLDS: Seems like it will be classic Trek exploration with Pike and Spock and company giving us a real Pre-Kirk show.

#6197 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 09 September 2020 - 03:34 PM

Watched the HBO documentary series McMillions.

Six, hour-long episodes. Well done and worth checking out. It is about the scam that the FBI busted associated to the McDonald's Monopoly game promotion that McDonalds used to run starting in the late 1980s through early 2000s (I vaguely remember it). It's a fascinating look into the whole deal surrounding the scam. One of the big take aways is white color crime isn't so innocuous. I don't think, with today's technology, a scam like this could happen, but who knows.

#6198 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 11 September 2020 - 07:24 PM

Nearing the halfway point in IT'S OKAY TO NOT BE OKAY (K-Drama) and it's absolutely wonderful and quite riveting. It dives into the world of mental health, and care workers without feeling like it's pandering or exploiting. Add in a touch of romance, and a touch of Tim Burton and you have quite the recipe. Anyways, really enjoying, and Seo Ye-ji may have become by favroutie Korean actress. Her acting abilities are amazing.

#6199 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 12 September 2020 - 08:04 PM

Anyone watching 'Staged'? Great bit of Covid-19 inspired viewing on Netflix. With David Tennant and Michael Sheen (Good Omens). Well worth a watch, with some awesome guest appearances as well.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#6200 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 12 September 2020 - 10:09 PM

View PostGorefest, on 12 September 2020 - 08:04 PM, said:

Anyone watching 'Staged'? Great bit of Covid-19 inspired viewing on Netflix. With David Tennant and Michael Sheen (Good Omens). Well worth a watch, with some awesome guest appearances as well.

No. But I’m gonna now!

Share this topic:

• 388 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users