• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big TV Thread

#6221 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 22 September 2020 - 11:07 AM

Since we aren’t ever given ratings/viewership numbers for Netflix, we don’t know how many ppl watched it, as such, it was probably not watched enough to warrant renewal. Netflix only really cancels good/must watched shows around season 3...if the show is still pulling down viewers after 1 season, they will keep it. But yeah, I’d guess lack of viewers...people talked about it a lot in the media...but that doesn’t necessarily translate to viewers,

To be frank, I had an idea this might happen. I can’t imagine a tonne of regular viewers tuning into gothic fantasy puppets like they would for GOT....you know?
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#6222 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 22 September 2020 - 02:45 PM

From what I understand it was considered an expensive bomb for Netflix viewership-wise...a long time Netflix Exec (Cindy Holland) was axed last week...as head of streaming she would have been the one to greelight it.

Not to say that DARK CRYSTAL was the only reason she was axed, but it may be one of them...especially with the high price tag to make it.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#6223 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 22 September 2020 - 03:59 PM

View PostBriar King, on 22 September 2020 - 02:50 PM, said:

I mean is it even fucking worth it to it hit that dumb thumbs up or down system they put in place of the 5 star system?

Ass fucks

They don't care about the thumbs up or thumbs down. It's straight views and re-views that they watch and then sub numbers. As long as a show pulls in new subs, they will keep it.

#6224 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 23 September 2020 - 12:50 AM

Don't really lend much importance to awards and award shows personally, but damn, Schitt's Creek cleaned up at the Emmy Awards. Greedy! Leave some crumbs for some of the others.

I watched the first few seasons, I liked it from the start, but I dropped off it, I think around season 3 somewhere. I guess I'm going to have to try and consume the rest of the seasons eventually.

Do you guys think the other nominees knew they were up shit creek when they saw that Schitt's Creek was nominated in their category? Posted Image

#6225 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 23 September 2020 - 12:23 PM

An unexpected Season 4 (in S3 Jack seemed to indicate it would be the last) of JACK WHITEHALL'S TRAVELS WITH MY FATHER dropped yesterday. We watched both episodes (about 1.5hrs each), and it was really fun. You can tell that a lot of it (if not all of it) is scripted much moreso than the previous seasons...but it's still infectiously charming. The Australia setting was good...but S1 (Asia) and S2 (Easter Europe) were both leaps and bounds more interesting than S3 (The USA), and S4 (Oz) as a setting. I do like that S4 is also wrapped around the forthcoming wedding of Jack's Sister Molly, as it gives a nice goal to shoot towards for the ending of the season. It was also interesting for Jack's mom to be in the whole first episode.

#6226 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 23 September 2020 - 12:46 PM

View PostBriar King, on 23 September 2020 - 01:15 AM, said:

Lol anyone else see the Patrick Stewart/Mark Hamill commercial for Uber Eats?

I did see that commercial and got a good chuckle from it. An initial thought I had was why Hamill, not possibly Shatner? But maybe Shatner is a little up there in age (and size) and rival Star Trek Captains would be what people would expect? But Hamill works if its also a Star Wars vs Star Trek thing, as well. Pretty amusing.

#6227 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 23 September 2020 - 10:16 PM

Quibi. Anyone try it? I heard it is treading water.

#6228 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 25 September 2020 - 03:52 PM

Possible controversial opinion...COBRA KAI is the best original show currently on Netflix (yes, I'm aware is began life on YouTubePremium).

I love STRANGER THINGS, but after S1 they do scramble a bit for content...and yes it's still a great show, COBRA KAI simply aspires to more as a narrative.

It's a successful long Sequel TV series. It stars a new cast being mentored by the old cast, and NEVER does the old cast overshadow the new cast. It reframes the original story in a clever way that is believable and easy to jump into. It show you JUST enough of the original movies so you don't have to re-watch them (but why wouldn't you? KK I and KK II are still excellent, and KK III is meh, but not terrible and really shows you why Daniel thinks a new Cobra Kai dojo is a terrible idea). My other favourite thing, it really doesn't have a defined villain. Both Johnny, and Daniel are dual protagonists (I see them as Batman and Superman) aimed at the same goals, but from totally different angles aligned around their upbringing and teachers. Kreese can be a villain, sure...he's certainly a foil/catalyst that exacerbates the story. It's also a half hour show, so you never feel like you're pissing away a weekend to binge it..each season is 5 hours total. There is no filler. The writers also know what they are doing, they seemingly randomly mention the "sparring match" between Rocky & Apollo at the end of ROCKY III (When Johnny and Daniel are drunk together), former enemies who find a middle ground and become friends...that was not randomly thrown in there...I guarantee you that the show will end with that scene re-created for Daniel and Johnny. But yeah, you can approach it from both Daniel and Johnny's angles and see their viewpoint.

And spoilers for Season 3:

Spoiler

Anyways, yeah. Even DARK, which I love...doesn't get as high marks from me as CK does. Maybe it's my own love of the KK series, but I feel like I did when I watched BLADE RUNNER 2049...that the people making the long sequel GET what made the original so good, and are expanding it in new fresh ways without feeling like it's re-treading the original or destroying it...but rather using it to examine its own themes from other angles.

It's brilliant and I'm glad Netflix picked it up after YT dropped it.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 25 September 2020 - 04:13 PM

#6229 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 25 September 2020 - 04:17 PM

View PostBriar King, on 25 September 2020 - 04:09 PM, said:

It’s what I said earlier in thread. You can’t ask for a better follow up show after so long from original.

...unlike the 100’s of times I’ve watched Karate Kid 1&2. They need to put em all up on Netflix now so I can rewatch. I have the vhs tapes but no way I’m I gonna attempt to watch that old shit.

View PostBriar King, on 25 September 2020 - 04:11 PM, said:

I felt those two seasons in my bones.

Yep. It's so rewarding because it's treated with such love and respect in the writers room.

I'm starting a re-watch soon.

#6230 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 25 September 2020 - 07:25 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 23 September 2020 - 12:23 PM, said:

An unexpected Season 4 (in S3 Jack seemed to indicate it would be the last) of JACK WHITEHALL'S TRAVELS WITH MY FATHER dropped yesterday. We watched both episodes (about 1.5hrs each), and it was really fun. You can tell that a lot of it (if not all of it) is scripted much moreso than the previous seasons...but it's still infectiously charming. The Australia setting was good...but S1 (Asia) and S2 (Easter Europe) were both leaps and bounds more interesting than S3 (The USA), and S4 (Oz) as a setting. I do like that S4 is also wrapped around the forthcoming wedding of Jack's Sister Molly, as it gives a nice goal to shoot towards for the ending of the season. It was also interesting for Jack's mom to be in the whole first episode.

"That chicken would have moved faster if he was on a rotisserie."
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#6231 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 25 September 2020 - 09:41 PM

View PostBriar King, on 25 September 2020 - 09:06 PM, said:

Watching Rome S1 Ep1

Again...

I reeeeAally need to rewatch that.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#6232 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 26 September 2020 - 01:53 AM

The very very expensive set being burned down didn't help either.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#6233 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 26 September 2020 - 03:58 AM

Nah, the Rome set was in Italy.

https://www.reuters....091356620070810

But yeah, lack of finance killed "Rome" before the fire. The fire just put the full stop to it.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 26 September 2020 - 03:59 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#6234 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 26 September 2020 - 07:02 PM

Disney+ launched in Denmark this month.

I'm watching The Mandalorian. It is great! The fact alone that I've watched a full episode and they haven't taken of the Bounty Hunters helmet shows they have confidence in the setting and story.

It feels really true to the original concept of the first movie. It's like a 70s sci-fi western with a ton of neat stuff added to the telling.

#6235 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 27 September 2020 - 01:33 AM

Keep watching. It's what the sequel trilogy tone should have been.

Also, well-written, coherent and consistent. :p

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 27 September 2020 - 01:33 AM

#6236 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 27 September 2020 - 04:12 AM

I hadn't heard a mini series based on the Comey book was in the works. Huh.

https://www.news.com...d66f5551e5f71f3

#6237 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 27 September 2020 - 11:14 PM

What is this?

#6238 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 28 September 2020 - 03:45 AM

It appears to be a TV show.

#6239 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 28 September 2020 - 08:01 AM

Based on a 1939 novel and previously done as a film in 1947. Rated 100% on RT.
I read the synopsis and it's a hard No from me.

#6240 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 28 September 2020 - 12:04 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 27 September 2020 - 04:12 AM, said:

I hadn't heard a mini series based on the Comey book was in the works. Huh.

https://www.news.com...d66f5551e5f71f3

My friend in the industry worked on this behind the scenes. For what it's worth she says it's really well done.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 28 September 2020 - 12:05 PM

Share this topic:

• 389 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
1 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. polishgenius