• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big TV Thread

#5681 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 04 November 2019 - 03:36 PM

Not watching many series at present, kind of absorbing podcasts instead. I thought that there was a dedicated podcast thread, but I cannot find it anywhere. So I'm just hijacking this thread to sing the praises of 'The Adventure zone' and 'MBMBaM' (My brother, my brother and me).

these are two fantastic long-running podcast shows which I'm sure will appeal to a lot of people on this forum. So if you prefer a bit of earcandy to get a break from all the visual assaults, I can heartily recommend those.

MBMBaM is a show by three brothers (the McElroys) giving lifestyle advice based on random Yahoo/Reddit/etc internet questions (or, as they say themselves: "An advice show for the modern era"). They've also taken this show concept to YouTube for a few series, which are equally highly entertaining.

The Adventure Zone is those same three brothers, together with their dad, doing roleplaying campaigns. Normally I'm not a big fan of roleplaying podcasts or YouTube videos as they tend to get rather boring and sloggish (in my opinion) if you aren't a massive RP fan yourself, but The Adventure zone is just bloody hilarious from start to finish. I think they've just started their 4th campaign in a series that spans about 8 years now.

Honestly, do yourselves a favour and search it out. Well worth it.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#5682 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 04 November 2019 - 04:51 PM

JACK RYAN season 2, we are only 5 eps into the 8, but man it's been another rollicking good season!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#5683 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 04 November 2019 - 07:54 PM

Jeopardy! Tournament of Champions starts today. That awkward smiling, quick buzzer pushin', answer machine, and all around weirdo - James Holzhauer, is back. He'll start his run on Wednesday.

#5684 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 06 November 2019 - 01:40 AM

Bidet
Welp, looks like the Critical Role "Legend of Vox Machina" is going to be on Amazon Prime.

https://variety.com/...ina-1203388522/

Saaawwweeeeetttttah!
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#5685 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 06 November 2019 - 01:43 AM

Double post!

And holey shitballs am i excited for November 12. Finally can start watching Rebels on Disney +.

#5686 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 06 November 2019 - 04:50 PM

Jean Smart in Watchmen. She is sooo good. All other actors that share a scene with her just sort of turn translucent.

#5687 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 06 November 2019 - 05:51 PM

View PostSlow Ben, on 06 November 2019 - 01:40 AM, said:

Bidet
Welp, looks like the Critical Role "Legend of Vox Machina" is going to be on Amazon Prime.

https://variety.com/...ina-1203388522/

Saaawwweeeeetttttah!

Looking forward to it, as well. LotR, WoT, and Vox Machina, amazon is killing it.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#5688 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 07 November 2019 - 08:34 PM

Watched an episode of Life from Above on PBS. It was wonderful. This was episode 3 (I missed the first two regrettably, will have to keep an eye out for when/if they are aired again). The show is about viewing the planet from satellite cameras in space and finding unique formations and patterns and and then zooming down to examine what they are and how they were made. Episode 3 was all about the patterns. Did you know that the largest beaver damn is in Canada and can be seen from space? And that there is a hidden rain forest in Africa that sits atop a mountain that was only recently discovered? Anyway if Planet Earth (or similar shows) is your jam, give Life from Above a looksy.

#5689 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 11 November 2019 - 10:07 PM

Watched season 2 of Jack Ryan.

On par with the first.

Probably better action but Ryan has dropped his cleaner than clean too quickly for my liking.

It's still a pile of America fuck yeah saving the world thanks guys, but it's entertaining enough. And I like Krasinski.

The 'twist' as t the end was phoned in from like episode two, but at least it takes a bit of the 'you know, the CIA are actually good guys' look off the whole thing.

Not enough, but a bit

#5690 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 11 November 2019 - 10:19 PM

Started watching "Living With Yourself" feat. Paul Rudd and I want sure what to expect but I got a pretty funny, clever and entertaining show with some heart. Definitely carrying on with it.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#5691 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 11 November 2019 - 10:53 PM

New season of Rick and Morty started Sunday night. The show is still in top form. Ep1 had not just a Death Stranding easter egg, but a full blown segment that was awesome.Posted Image

#5692 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 12 November 2019 - 01:12 PM

View PostMacros, on 11 November 2019 - 10:07 PM, said:

Watched season 2 of Jack Ryan.

On par with the first.

Probably better action but Ryan has dropped his cleaner than clean too quickly for my liking.

It's still a pile of America fuck yeah saving the world thanks guys, but it's entertaining enough. And I like Krasinski.

The 'twist' as t the end was phoned in from like episode two, but at least it takes a bit of the 'you know, the CIA are actually good guys' look off the whole thing.

Not enough, but a bit

Indeed.

And the one good thing about it that made it slightly less America Rah Rah for me was

Spoiler

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#5693 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 12 November 2019 - 01:25 PM

The sheer volume of library titles available at launch for Disney+ is staggering. Like I'd seen the list, but until I opened the app for the first time this morning, it didn't dawn on me JUST what you are getting for $9/month.

Dumping Amazon Prime for this for the next year or so, and then will pick Prime back up when more original content comes for that one.

#5694 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 12 November 2019 - 01:26 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 12 November 2019 - 01:25 PM, said:

The sheer volume of library titles available at launch for Disney+ is staggering. Like I'd seen the list, but until I opened the app for the first time this morning, it didn't dawn on me JUST what you are getting for $9/month.

Dumping Amazon Prime for this for the next year or so, and then will pick Prime back up when more original content comes for that one.

I still haven't seen if every title will be available everywhere yet. Is Canadian D+ the same as the American one do you know?
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#5695 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 12 November 2019 - 02:30 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 12 November 2019 - 01:26 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 12 November 2019 - 01:25 PM, said:

I still haven't seen if every title will be available everywhere yet. Is Canadian D+ the same as the American one do you know?

As far as I'm aware every launch is nearly identical (as will yours in ....March is it?) The ONLY places that things have not shown up or crossed over would be where streaming/TV deals interrupt with it. For example, The Last Jedi isn't on it right now because they have a streaming deal with Netflix that has not run out yet, I expect that title will be added after that timeframe/deal is up. I'm not aware of any Canadian-specfici deals with the CTRC that prevent the library from being the same as the US one (as far as I'm aware it's because Disney has never buckled to give say Bell [our monopolistic company who snaps up shit like HBO and then overcharges for it] any deals on they content...so I'm fairly certain we are the same, and any stragglers will show up eventually.

#5696 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 12 November 2019 - 03:01 PM

And it’s apparently plagued with issues. My girls didn’t have school today so they were excited to start exploring it.

Can’t get anything to load, if the app will open at all.

#5697 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 12 November 2019 - 03:08 PM

@QT

Yeah, that was the twist that was (for me) that was phoned in. But it doesn't fully take the sting out of the 'CIA are good people with necessarily dirty hands' vibe the whole show has always given off.

#5698 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 12 November 2019 - 03:27 PM

View PostSlow Ben, on 12 November 2019 - 03:01 PM, said:

And it’s apparently plagued with issues. My girls didn’t have school today so they were excited to start exploring it.

Can’t get anything to load, if the app will open at all.

This week was always going to be a shitshow for the servers sadly. First week of a new streaming service with this sheer level of beloved content...they probably planned for super high rates of connection, but it sounds like this exceeded even their high expectations...which is great for the service in the long run (showing the demand is HIGH), but not for consumers who nabbed it Day 1 like us who have to deal with technical issues for a while. Ah well, they will get it worked out. I was able to watch some stuff before leaving for work, and when it worked, it worked great.

View PostMacros, on 12 November 2019 - 03:08 PM, said:

@QT

Yeah, that was the twist that was (for me) that was phoned in. But it doesn't fully take the sting out of the 'CIA are good people with necessarily dirty hands' vibe the whole show has always given off.

Oh, really? Yeah, I guess I could see that. I definitely see your point though about the America Rah Rah stuff too though even with that addition...it would fall a little better if the current US admin wasn't a corrupt puddle all the way down to contrast against.

#5699 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 12 November 2019 - 03:48 PM

Disney was late in implementing some last minute changes to placate China. So until those are completed the service quality is going to be degraded. Of course PR says it's because "new launch and unanticipated numbers... yadda yada yada".

#5700 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 12 November 2019 - 04:36 PM

Well, they finally got a movie to play. Toy Story 3, which we own and watched last week.

But hey, they’re happy.

Just hoping The Mandalorian or Rebels works tonight.

Finished up Jack Ryan season 2 last night as well. Solid. Whoever was in charge of casting did an awesome job. I think every character is perfect.

Share this topic:

• 388 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users