• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

American Football

#81 User is offline   Grumble 

• High Mage of High House HAWT
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 16 July 2007 - 06:09 PM

amphibian;200558 said:

FIELD, NOT PITCH. FIELD. YOUR BRITISH MANNERISMS AND CUTESY-WEUTSY PHRASES SHOULD DISAPPEAR ONCE YOU CROSS THE BORDER INTO THE GREAT YEW ESS OF AY.

A temporary exception can be given if you are inside a bar and/or are trying to pick up a chick.

I stand corrected Sir, please forgive the slip Amp. It must sound as cringe worthy as " Soccer " (said in dodgy american drawl) does when we hear it over here.:eek: ;) :D
What Would Jack Do ?

#82 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 16 July 2007 - 07:29 PM

Foosball!

Go Vikings, despite the fact that the new owner, and his head coach, are driving the team further into the ground than one would view as possible.

An untested QB, with a crap backup, no wide receivers of note, but one of the best offensive lines in the league, that means that we will win all our games, right? ha! double ha!

Also, because I'm a Vikings fan, Packers suck.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#83 User is offline   ch'arlz 

• Lo-Fi Version

Posted 16 July 2007 - 08:11 PM

Obdigore;200812 said:

Go Vikings, despite the fact that the new owner, and his head coach, are driving the team further into the ground than one would view as possible.

Further than the Redskins management has been able to accomplish?

I remember the good old days...
Shaken, not stirred.

#84 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 16 July 2007 - 08:13 PM

Well ch'arlz, the Deadskins think that they can buy players, and throw them on the same side, and everything will be ok.

Whereas the Queens think they can get a bunch of no-names, but them together, and make them into superstars....
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#85 User is offline   Grumble 

Posted 16 July 2007 - 08:19 PM

Obdigore;200812 said:

Foosball!

An untested QB, with a crap backup, no wide receivers of note, but one of the best offensive lines in the league, that means that we will win all our games, right? ha! double ha!

Also, because I'm a Vikings fan, Packers suck.

Any chance we can swop back Burleson for Hutch ..... Please
What Would Jack Do ?

#86 User is offline   ch'arlz 

• Lo-Fi Version

Posted 16 July 2007 - 08:28 PM

Obdigore;200823 said:

Well ch'arlz, the Deadskins think that they can buy players, and throw them on the same side, and everything will be ok.

Whereas the Queens think they can get a bunch of no-names, but them together, and make them into superstars....

*Dan Snyder* the owner thinks he can buy talent. Joe Gibbs used to be able to do a lot with no-names, but I think he's just collecting a paycheck these days.
Shaken, not stirred.

#87 User is offline   Grumble 

Posted 16 July 2007 - 08:34 PM

Times have moved since the counter trey offense, Deadskins need a new with the times coach not a dinosaur like Gibbs.
What Would Jack Do ?

#88 User is offline   ch'arlz 

• Lo-Fi Version

Posted 16 July 2007 - 09:07 PM

Grumble;200829 said:

Times have moved since the counter trey offense, Deadskins need a new with the times coach not a dinosaur like Gibbs.

Perhaps. I still think there's a place in this world for people like Gibbs if they didn't have to answer to megalomaniac sh*ts like Snyder. But he is also distracted by his racing business, so you're right -- he's a contributing factor.
Shaken, not stirred.

#89 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 16 July 2007 - 10:02 PM

ch said:

Perhaps. I still think there's a place in this world for people like Gibbs if they didn't have to answer to megalomaniac sh*ts like Snyder. But he is also distracted by his racing business, so you're right -- he's a contributing factor.

I think the biggest factor is that the 'Skins haven't spent much money on their O-Line. Success in football really comes from dominating the line of scrimmage on offense. Pretty much any quarterback can make the play if he's got 4 or 5 seconds each time to read and throw. Ramsey was a pretty decent QB for a while, putting up big numbers despite being put on his back like every third play.

Then Snyder and Gibbs decided to trade or release all the good blocking tight ends (who weren't much of a threat to catch, but at least they blocked like demons). They've also got a pretty simplistic offense that the players hate and are possibly going to play Ladell Betts more than Clinton Portis this season. Gotdang...

But at least they're set at safety for the next five years.

I'm a Buffalo Bills fan, by the way.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#90 User is offline   paladin 

• House Knight

Posted 16 July 2007 - 10:46 PM

the skins invest way to much in their DB's.. when they replaced ohalete(over 100 tackles) with a rookie FS/SS, and then continued drafting dbs year after year with landry this year again, they let the rest of the team fall apart. ohalete was getting paid damn near minimum and they gave sean taylor 18mill over 7 years to get similar to less production. poor move when they have greater needs elsewhere

anyways, go chargers and go saints.
/played hs football with ohatele

#91 User is offline   Grumble 

Posted 17 July 2007 - 04:48 PM

Don't forget the Archuleta fiasco ..... highest paid safety in NFL History dealt in off season for 6th rounder from bears.
What Would Jack Do ?

#92 User is offline   ch'arlz 

• Lo-Fi Version

Posted 17 July 2007 - 04:56 PM

Believe me, I've been disgusted by the 'skins for years now. This quote from a veteran player pretty much sums it up:

"Everybody sees through that. When it comes to guys who have been here three or four years, who played hard and played in pain for them, they use that money to go out and buy the next toy. They make promises about using the money to keep everybody together, then guys like A.P. [Antonio Pierce] and Ryan [Clark] and Robert Royal -- our real glue guys -- leave and they go outside again.

"It's the same thing year after year. You look at a lot of the guys who left here, and they're mostly playing well and their teams are doing well, and we pick up more guys than any team, and we struggle. What does that say about us? It's like they're trying to build a team of superstars, or guys who are paid like superstars, and it's not working."

Shaken, not stirred.

#93 User is offline   Grumble 

Posted 24 July 2007 - 08:00 PM

Is Mike Vick finished in the NFL ..... for me has never delivered as a QB/team leader, I just can't see what all the hype is about. 7th year, if he gets to play at all, and no signs of major improvement.
What Would Jack Do ?

#94 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 24 July 2007 - 08:45 PM

I think he's done. He's overrated anyways.
Error: Signature not valid

#95 User is offline   paladin 

• House Knight

Posted 24 July 2007 - 08:50 PM

hes quite an athlete.. he should have been converted to RB or WR(similar to other speedy college option qbs with poor leadership and poor passing skills). other mobile qbs like mcnabb, randall cunningham, and favre have/had the requisite leadership skills or passing skills

#96 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast
  • Interests:Knives. Stabbing. Stabbing with knives.

Posted 24 July 2007 - 08:55 PM

If he does get booted from the Falcons, I'm sure he'll eventually wind up in Dallas as their next dysfunctional QB.
OK, I think I got it, but just in case, can you say the whole thing over again? I wasn't really listening.

#97 User is offline   Grumble 

Posted 24 July 2007 - 09:04 PM

longhorn;202059 said:

If he does get booted from the Falcons, I'm sure he'll eventually wind up in Dallas as their next dysfunctional QB.

Can he hold for field goals ? :)
What Would Jack Do ?

#98 User is offline   Grumble 

Posted 24 July 2007 - 09:21 PM

paladin;202057 said:

hes quite an athlete.. he should have been converted to RB or WR(similar to other speedy college option qbs with poor leadership and poor passing skills). other mobile qbs like mcnabb, randall cunningham, and favre have/had the requisite leadership skills or passing skills

1000 yards rushing last year but Vick would not be able to convert to RB, his 8.4 yards ave is built on the threat of the pass on rollouts and the fact DB's must turn and run with WR's.

Favre a running QB ? ..... 216 yards in 1991 is his highest total. I think you meant his ability to make plays on his feet in the pocket when under pressure. Bet the Falcons wish he was still their player ..... whoops :eek:
What Would Jack Do ?

#99 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 24 July 2007 - 09:45 PM

Grumble;202062 said:

1000 yards rushing last year but Vick would not be able to convert to RB, his 8.4 yards ave is built on the threat of the pass on rollouts and the fact DB's must turn and run with WR's.

Favre a running QB ? ..... 216 yards in 1991 is his highest total. I think you meant his ability to make plays on his feet in the pocket when under pressure. Bet the Falcons wish he was still their player ..... whoops :eek:

He might have meant Young. Or Jake Plummer. HAH.

If some kind of strange catastrophe occurs that forces a complete re-draft of all NFL players like in video games, I guarantee Vick would be picked within the first two rounds (I'd say late first round or early second). He may not be such a great QB, but he's got enough fan support, athleticism and skill to appeal to any team.

I just want to point out that in the U.S. justice system, a potato can be indicted and until proven guilty, that potato is presumed innocent. The long build-up of the prosecutors indicates a high likelihood that Vick will be proven guilty - the Duke/Nifong scandal made everyone cautious - but it isn't over until it's over.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#100 User is offline   Grumble 

Posted 24 July 2007 - 10:13 PM

amphibian;202066 said:

He might have meant Young. Or Jake Plummer. HAH.

If some kind of strange catastrophe occurs that forces a complete re-draft of all NFL players like in video games, I guarantee Vick would be picked within the first two rounds (I'd say late first round or early second). He may not be such a great QB, but he's got enough fan support, athleticism and skill to appeal to any team.

I just want to point out that in the U.S. justice system, a potato can be indicted and until proven guilty, that potato is presumed innocent. The long build-up of the prosecutors indicates a high likelihood that Vick will be proven guilty - the Duke/Nifong scandal made everyone cautious - but it isn't over until it's over.

Vick is not even a top 10 pick from current QB's so no way is he going any higher than late 3rd early 4th round if you are building a team and picking from every player and position available.
What Would Jack Do ?

Share this topic:

• 87 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users