Malazan Empire: Football World Cup (or soccer for the americans) - Malazan Empire

• 10 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Football World Cup (or soccer for the americans)

#41 User is offline   drinksinbars 

• Soletaken
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 12 June 2006 - 03:13 PM

they totally threw the game away. there was so much space dfown the right and every cross was wasted. takahara was through on goal a few times and fluffed it. they didnt deserve to lose but they should have secured the win on numerous occassions. plus i hate tim cahill, everton scum!!!

#42 Guest_BAD_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 12 June 2006 - 03:45 PM

Exactly. Great game too watch though. They'll both get creamed by Brazil, their offense will rip that Australian D apart.

@Everton

"Sign on! Sign on!
With a pen, in your hand!
'Cos you'll neeeeveeeer get a job!
You'll neeeeeeeeveeeeeeer get a job!"

#43 User is offline   Cold Iron 

• I'll have some lasagna
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 12 June 2006 - 03:58 PM

UGH! Charlatans! Didn't deserve to loose my arse! They couldn't score a goal!!! (Don't even try and call that piece of sh** a goal).

We were just toying with them.

Plus our defense held well. Lucas Neill had a great game.

Tim Cahill is a god and Everton won't be able to afford him after this!!!

GO AUSSIE!!!

#44 Guest_Fool_*

Posted 12 June 2006 - 04:40 PM

I've just decided to support the czech republic for this one.

2-0 go rosicky!

And croatia vs. brazil tomorrow. Hooray!

EDIT: Godammit, hope Koller's gonna be alright.

#45 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 12 June 2006 - 05:57 PM

It's always good to have a game where the US aren't supreme champions of every aspect of it...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#46 User is offline   Sir Thursday 

• House Knight

Posted 12 June 2006 - 06:07 PM

In which game are the US supreme champions of every aspect? The only one I can think of is American Football...seeing as they couldn't win the Basketball in the Olympics and were knocked out of the Baseball World Championships, they're not doing too well in their own sports at the moment.

I'm thinking Italy will crush Ghana tonight...unless someone rates the Ghana team?

Sir Thursday
Don't look now, but I think there's something weird attached to the bottom of my posts.

#47 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 12 June 2006 - 06:09 PM

Italy are traditionally poor starters, I wouldn't rule out an upset.

Really enjoyed the Jap v Aus game today. Can't believe Arsenal have got Rosicky. Hopefully he'll do a Baros on them :)
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#48 User is offline   Menandore 

• High Fist

Posted 12 June 2006 - 06:34 PM

I have been quiet up until now. I hate football. But I just thought I'd take a moment to show my support for England and then I shall shut up and leave you fitba hooligans to it :)

For those of you who don't know, mars bars have been renamed "believe" for the duration of the world cup. Sales of plumetted (sp) north of the border lol

Here's what we think of it in Scotland....

[ATTACH]390[/ATTACH]

:):):D

#49 Guest_Dryad_*

Posted 12 June 2006 - 08:03 PM

USA game was criminal. Defense was shocking and the forwards had simply too much to do. Personally I think USA's going to be last in this group, third at best.

Dryad, the disappointed, but unsurprised

#50 Guest_pres_north_*

Posted 13 June 2006 - 03:24 AM

Heard an interview on the CBC yesterday, where a T&T expatriate explained that in Trinidad, sports is just another category of party. (Doesn't Clausewitz say somewhere that sports is just an extension of partying by other means?) Trini to da bone!

#51 User is offline   RaZjInSaR 

• First Sword

Posted 13 June 2006 - 04:30 AM

rofl :)* noobs and their feet :) aus pwnd japs!

#52 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 13 June 2006 - 05:31 AM

IMO Ghana got stripped of a point by the referee, with 2 perfectly legitimate penalty kicks not given. Italians depend on referees like in Serie A...
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#53 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 13 June 2006 - 05:49 AM

Cold Iron said:

UGH! Charlatans! Didn't deserve to loose my arse! They couldn't score a goal!!! (Don't even try and call that piece of sh** a goal).

We were just toying with them.

Plus our defense held well. Lucas Neill had a great game.

Tim Cahill is a god and Everton won't be able to afford him after this!!!

GO AUSSIE!!!

Australia undoubtably deserved to win the game, and I'm very glad they did. However, Japan's goal was perfectly legitimate - I've watched the replay a vast amount of times, and the Japanese player who Schwazer crashed into had his eyes on the ball the entire time. The second guy to knock into him may have been a different matter, but that was irrelevant, as the ball was way past by then. Put simply, a bad goalkeeping error by Schwazer (or however the hell it's spelt).

The Czechs have long been my tip to push Brazil all the way in this tournament, and I think being in a tougher group than the Brazilians will help them immesurably. Koller's injury is a huge blow, but once Baros comes back, it won't be as bad as it could have been, especially with Poborski, Neved and Rosicky in such fine form. The US should beat Ghana, as their attacking was pretty good, but I don't think they'll get out of the group unless Italy really mess up. Then again, I didn't watch the Ghana-Italy game, as it was 4:30am by then;)
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#54 Guest_Lily_*

Posted 13 June 2006 - 07:23 AM

FrenchyFan said:

Well here we will take the bets on :
1- Who will win ?
2- Who will be the best player ?
3- The worst ?
4- Does France will pass the first turn this time (I don't think so) ?

1- Brasil.
2- Ronaldi?o.
3- Togo.
4- Clearly no.

1 - Maybe Brasil (I don't like the team)
2 - Thierry Henry (I love Titi)
3 - Beckham ?
4 - I hope France will pass the first turn

#55 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 13 June 2006 - 08:12 AM

Beckham?!! You're not making any friends here, sonnyjim!

Well, the Ghana v Italy game was a cracker in the first half. Ghana were great to watch. Suicidal defending, flapping goalie (I'm loving Kingston!) and fast attacking. Shame they never got a decent cross in. The Italians looked shakey at first but killed it off, as they do. I'm glad they didn't just sit on the 1-0 though. I never even heard of Toni before, but he looked pretty good.

Hopefully Ghana will have a great open game against the USA. Dodgy defence v dodgy defence. It will be like watching two Kevin Keegan sides :)

Looking forward to France and Brazil today. Hopefully Korea v Togo will be a nice surprise .... or not!
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#56 User is offline   drinksinbars 

• Soletaken

Posted 13 June 2006 - 08:53 AM

beckham is such an ass monkey;) but i dont mind him as much as i used to after watching that show about him on c4 a while back. its not his fault he has more money than sense and never wants to play in the one position he can really handle well.

thought italy were excellent, they controlled the game well and let ghana run all over the place. they were fast on the counter and unlucky not to get another goal. ghana suffered the usual jitters for an inexcperienced team against someone of italys class and allowed themselves too much attacking. with their two full backs playing in practically winger poisiitons it was only a matter of time before they broke. against brazil, i would say they will be tore to pieces, they are even better than italy on the counter and have learned from their own mistakes in the past about how important it is to maintain defence.

the czechs were awesome. that midfield was the best i have seen so far, and their defence was strong as well. losing koller is a big blow though as lokvenc looked piss poor. hopefully baros will be fit soon and they can have a fast release up front. the usa seemed to predictable to be a threat, but when johnson came on they were transfromed into a good team with a weak defence. if he starts i could see their match against ghana being really good. but to be honest i think the czechs and the italians will get through that group comfortably.

france should win the day 2-0. brazil i think will win 3-1. korea 1-0.

#57 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 13 June 2006 - 08:57 AM

Ahhhhh ... :)

I can relax now.

We've won 1 game at the Cup, that's all anyone ever really wanted here. We're going to put it to Brazil, but I'd say they'll be too good. Maybe if we get up over Croatia we might make the next round, which would be unbelieveable.

And that Japanese goal was pure A*SE. Sure, he had his eyes on the ball, but he wasn't headed ANYWHERE NEAR IT. He hits Schwartzer - who was about 1 metre out of position - at 45 degrees, taking him out of the contest before the ball got there. May not have been intentional, but it was a clear foul.

Considering Japan before the match had been trying to "coach" the referee on our supposed "rough tactics", I thought it was a bit ironic. :)

And did anyone else notice how many times the Japanese were diving? They must have thought they were kamikazes, aiming for the grass. :)
Admittedly, they're a small bunch, but aside from the usual argy-bargy, it all looked like fair contests for 50-50 ball. Those big Aussies are just nasty bullies, awwww poor widdle diddums. :p

Cheers,

La Sombra, doing his best for international harmony :)
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#58 Guest_FrenchyFan_*

Posted 13 June 2006 - 09:08 AM

RAAAAAAH !!! W T F ???
The TV of Madrid doesn't show any other match than the one of Spain on the channels that I have...
Bouhou...

#59 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 13 June 2006 - 09:17 AM

Dude, that's just merde. :)

They are imbeciles, buffoons. :)

You can see ALL matches here on SBS. At stupid o'clock in the morning though. Damn stupid other side of the world - why can't you all keep reasonable hours? :)

Cheers,

L'ombre, just reached the exptent of his schoolboy French (besides some more risque stuff :) )
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#60 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 13 June 2006 - 10:51 AM

Brazil v Croatia should be an awesome match. As should Switzerland-France (go the Swiss! :)) As for South Korea/Togo, well my dads work have a draw going, and he pulled Korea, so he is hoping that they win. I would like to see Togo go far, but I doubt it is going to happen. :)
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

Share this topic:

• 10 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users