• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Reading at t'moment?

#24181 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 18 March 2019 - 06:24 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 18 March 2019 - 05:42 PM, said:

Night's Dawn is my favourite of Hamilton's series I love it. Didn't realise Sonnie's Edge is set in that universe tbh.

I found one of them at the used bookstore which I grabbed, but it's not the first one. Good to know you like that one too.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#24182 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 18 March 2019 - 06:48 PM

Finished Alice Isn't Dead. It was okay. It didn't read at all like a restructured podcast, and apparently it's a different take on the same plot, but it functions as a novel well enough. It doesn't try to recreate the arch tone of Nightvale either, and is self-contained without needing any familiarity with the podcasts. And as a bonus, a lot of the action actually takes place in my neck of the desert, and it even name checks my hometown which is pretty rare. Prose is okay with occasional flashes of cleverness. The main character is good, the plot and themes are good, the villains are kinda cool. But there's never really any scares, no building of dread, no atmosphere, so for a horror novel (and that's what it is), it never really gets you to that place you want to be. I'd give it like a 2.7 out 5.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#24183 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 18 March 2019 - 09:58 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 18 March 2019 - 06:24 PM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 18 March 2019 - 05:42 PM, said:

Night's Dawn is my favourite of Hamilton's series I love it. Didn't realise Sonnie's Edge is set in that universe tbh.

I found one of them at the used bookstore which I grabbed, but it's not the first one. Good to know you like that one too.

Yeah they're great though the Void Trilogy is pretty much just as good tbf. Commonwealth Saga not quite up there but it's only two books and despite the size, they fly through.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#24184 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 18 March 2019 - 11:16 PM

I finished Elizabeth Bear's Ancestral Night, a big expansive fun space opera. It's not her best work, and it's also imo a bit below other recent works that are kinda similar to aspects of it, but it is nonetheless a lot of fun and I would recommend reading it. But then Bear is one of my favourite authors these days.
But after her Jacob's Ladder trilogy because despite it being barely necessary for them to even be in the same universe, she made the odd decision to explicitly spoil the ending of that series in this book. And that series is probably her best work, in my opinion, so it should be read anyway.

Also: it's a fucking great time to be a space opera fan right now. There's absolutely bucketloads hitting all of a sudden.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#24185 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 18 March 2019 - 11:50 PM

I'm in the middle of some great books right now.

Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky - Amazing. Shadows of the Apt is pretty good, but this is a million times better.
The Shadow of What Was Lost by James Islington - Interesting and enjoyable. Easy to read but at the same time there are a lot of characters and concepts to keep straight.
The Dread Wyrm by Miles Cameron - Book 3 of Traitor Son and by far the best of the series so far. Halfway through so we'll see if it keeps it up.
And everyone's favorite GGK book, Tigana

#24186 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 19 March 2019 - 02:15 AM

Finished "Anubis Gates" . Decent time-hopping fun, though I know next to nothing about the 19th century English literary scene, so those bits were all just empty words to me.

Next in commute before trying something big again, I'll do a palate cleanser. I think Ilona Andrews' "Gunmetal Magic" should do nicely.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#24187 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 19 March 2019 - 02:52 AM

View PostBriar King, on 19 March 2019 - 01:13 AM, said:

Much like my 3rd nipple Tigana is extraneous and kind of freaky.

FTFY.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#24188 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 19 March 2019 - 09:41 AM

Finished Kellanved's reach. My word, that was ... pacey.

Echoing other comments expressing a desie that it could have been 2 books, or been slowed down in pace. I would have liked to see thm get to that point in a decade or 2 of everyone getting to know each other.

It sort of seemed like ICE felt like he had a quota of cameos to write, and not enough time or word count with which to do it.

Good fun though, all the same.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 19 March 2019 - 09:41 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#24189 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 19 March 2019 - 10:06 AM

I keep postponing beginning Kelanved's Reach.

I keep bringing books home from work instead.

Finished The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith/JK Rowling. Thoroughly enjoyable detective novel. I especially loved the new assistant Robin and her fascination with Strikes work. It gave the book a sense of wonder and joy.

Already made a reservation for the second book and will be following the series.

I'm also reading the Belgariad series by David Eddings. I'm fairly certain I've read some of this before but it must be decades ago, so it all feels new if familiar.

Finished the first book yesterday and began the second one today. They're easy to read and refreshingly short books. The setting and premise is of course very worn but it's well written.

Also reading a Steam Punk Anthology written and published by a Danish Sci-fi Club. There's something charming about Victorian era fantasy. It just fits perfectly together.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 19 March 2019 - 10:08 AM

#24190 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 19 March 2019 - 01:35 PM

View PostAptorian, on 19 March 2019 - 10:06 AM, said:

Finished The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith/JK Rowling. Thoroughly enjoyable detective novel. I especially loved the new assistant Robin and her fascination with Strikes work. It gave the book a sense of wonder and joy.

Already made a reservation for the second book and will be following the series.

You're aware there is a TV show too right?

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#24191 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 19 March 2019 - 02:44 PM

Ooohh. Doesn't look bad. Stopped half way through since it seemed to go into details about later books.

The casting of Strike fits the look somewhat, he just needs to be a head taller and weigh an extra 30-50 kilos.

Is it a mini-series like BBC's Sherlock or something longer like Elementary?

#24192 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 19 March 2019 - 03:21 PM

View PostAptorian, on 19 March 2019 - 02:44 PM, said:

Ooohh. Doesn't look bad. Stopped half way through since it seemed to go into details about later books.

The casting of Strike fits the look somewhat, he just needs to be a head taller and weigh an extra 30-50 kilos.

Is it a mini-series like BBC's Sherlock or something longer like Elementary?

BBC One mini-series, I guess because each "season" is a book but are short.

The Cuckoos Calling season is 3 eps.
The Silkworm season is 2 eps.
Career Of Evil season is 2 eps.
And the forthcoming 4th season based on Lethal White is going to be 4 eps.

#24193 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 19 March 2019 - 04:45 PM

View PostEnd of Disc One, on 18 March 2019 - 11:50 PM, said:

The Dread Wyrm by Miles Cameron - Book 3 of Traitor Son and by far the best of the series so far. Halfway through so we'll see if it keeps it up.

It gets even better.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#24194 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 20 March 2019 - 07:27 AM

finished a reread of the Low Town trilogy, still an awesome ending.

going to have another go at the book of amber

#24195 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 20 March 2019 - 07:41 AM

Still reading Cassandra Kresnov series now on 23 Years on Fire and it is still often pretty damned entertaining, if not particularly deep. Perfectly fit for my only an hour here an there reading.

View PostMacros, on 20 March 2019 - 07:27 AM, said:

finished a reread of the Low Town trilogy, still an awesome ending.

So few authors have the guts for that kind of ending.

#24196 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 20 March 2019 - 01:18 PM

75% of the way through The Dragonbone Chair. I should have reread this a long time ago.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#24197 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 20 March 2019 - 03:45 PM

View Postacesn8s, on 20 March 2019 - 01:18 PM, said:

75% of the way through The Dragonbone Chair. I should have reread this a long time ago.

That whole series is on Audible has anyone heard it and is it worth me spending 4 credits on? Quite a big fan of Tad Williams other stuff..
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#24198 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 20 March 2019 - 04:09 PM

So I am all caught up on Seanan McGuire's October Daye books, and IMO this series rates alongside Dresden and Rivers of London in terms of urban fantasy. Absolutely superb character writing.

Also today I finished the first book of McGuire's Incryptid series - Discount Armageddon and this seems like a more light take on urban fantasy which is still pretty entertaining.

#24199 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 March 2019 - 05:17 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 20 March 2019 - 03:45 PM, said:

View Postacesn8s, on 20 March 2019 - 01:18 PM, said:

That whole series is on Audible has anyone heard it and is it worth me spending 4 credits on? Quite a big fan of Tad Williams other stuff..

I've not listened on Audible yet, but the narrator is Andrew Wincott and he makes it sound like you're sitting around an old fireplace and an well-spoken gentleman is telling you a fairytale. Such an evocative voice.

As to the series, it's one of my all time favourites and has a place of honour on my shelf.

#24200 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 20 March 2019 - 08:11 PM

View PostAndorion, on 20 March 2019 - 04:09 PM, said:

So I am all caught up on Seanan McGuire's October Daye books, and IMO this series rates alongside Dresden and Rivers of London in terms of urban fantasy. Absolutely superb character writing.

Also today I finished the first book of McGuire's Incryptid series - Discount Armageddon and this seems like a more light take on urban fantasy which is still pretty entertaining.

Check out her "Indexing" series too, if you haven't already: two books about a team of operatives responsible for dealing with fairy tale narratives taking over the real world. Great stuff, and a really unique twist on the urban fantasy genre. I do still need to get into the two series you mentioned.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

Share this topic:

• 1472 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users