• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Reading at t'moment?

#24141 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 10 March 2019 - 11:35 AM

Started on I've Been Killing Slimes for 300 Years and Maxed Out My Level. Trying to use light novels to recapture that love of reading. Not that there's anything in the works this year that I've seen that excites me at all...
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#24142 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 10 March 2019 - 05:52 PM

View PostAlternative Goose, on 10 March 2019 - 10:23 AM, said:

View Postworry, on 10 March 2019 - 08:13 AM, said:

So in between I'm gonna read Alice Isn't Dead, a novel by one of the Welcome to Nightvale guys. I'll let you guys know how it goes!

Alice is the intern that got eaten by a haunted house or something like that and was reporting from a different dimension, right?

I thought they spun that off into a separate podcast?

They did, this is supposed to be a novelization of that.

#24143 User is offline   Zeto Demerzel 

• Sergeant

Posted 11 March 2019 - 05:10 AM

Just finished Corey's Persepolis Rising and enjoyed the heck out of it. Had pretty much given up on the series but picked this one up thanks to some recs in this topic. Can't find those posts but I'm thinking it might've been Abyss so my thanks for that.

Started Kay's River of Stars and Praetorian of Dorn (Horus Heresy). Early days for both.

#24144 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 11 March 2019 - 05:20 AM

View PostJPK, on 10 March 2019 - 05:52 PM, said:

View PostAlternative Goose, on 10 March 2019 - 10:23 AM, said:

View Postworry, on 10 March 2019 - 08:13 AM, said:

So in between I'm gonna read Alice Isn't Dead, a novel by one of the Welcome to Nightvale guys. I'll let you guys know how it goes!

Alice is the intern that got eaten by a haunted house or something like that and was reporting from a different dimension, right?

I thought they spun that off into a separate podcast?

They did, this is supposed to be a novelization of that.

Relatedly I got a few chapters into IT DEVOURS by the same team and bailed. Too little of what I like from the podcast, and like their last novel, trying too hard to humanize Nightvale’s weird residents.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#24145 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 11 March 2019 - 03:29 PM

About 20% into the first Macro & Cato book by Scarrow, and he's just referenced the events of the first Ben Kane Roman book I read (EAGLES AT WAR), not really spoilers as this info is in the book description from the back cover, but just in case
Spoiler
as something that happened 30 year before and scares new recruits. Amazing that these two books by different authors could touch on the same event, and it informs my enjoyment of this book because I KNOW how scary that battle was because it's in Kane's book described in its entirety....so Cato's "fright" going thorough that forest is quite well earned for the canny Kane reader!

Anyways, SOLID book thus far. Thanks for the recco everyone who chimed in to recommend it.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#24146 User is offline   Dadding 

• Shaved Knuckle in the Hole

Posted 11 March 2019 - 04:04 PM

Just finished up the First Thomas Covenant Trilogy. While the last two books were way better than the first, and while the premise and some of the more existential issues in the series interested me, the actual reading was a bit of a slog, so I don't think I'm going to tackle the Second or Final Chronicles yet, if at all.

Instead I just picked up Eye of the World ... going to try to tackle WOT once and for all. I can't remember exactly where I dropped it last time, I think around book 3 or 4.

#24147 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 11 March 2019 - 05:19 PM

I just finished Deadhouse Landing today after starting it when it first came out, putting it away for various reasons not related to the book and then starting over again this weekend.

I'll begin Kellanved's Reach shortly.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#24148 User is offline   Gabriele 

• High Fist
  • Interests:History, Archaeology, Photogrpahy, Writing, Opera, Traveling, Riding, Languages

Posted 11 March 2019 - 05:30 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 11 March 2019 - 03:29 PM, said:

About 20% into the first Macro & Cato book by Scarrow, and he's just referenced the events of the first Ben Kane Roman book I read (EAGLES AT WAR), not really spoilers as this info is in the book description from the back cover, but just in case
Spoiler
as something that happened 30 year before and scares new recruits. Amazing that these two books by different authors could touch on the same event, and it informs my enjoyment of this book because I KNOW how scary that battle was because it's in Kane's book described in its entirety....so Cato's "fright" going thorough that forest is quite well earned for the canny Kane reader!

I'm tempted to write a version of that battle from German POV and redeem our lovely, misunderstood forests. :p

#24149 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 12 March 2019 - 09:46 AM

On the recommendation of a friend I've jumped into the Alex Verus series. The first book carried me on the novelty of the concept, but I'm a little ways into the second book the author's inability to keep the main character's power consistent is getting to be quite glaring. It takes me out of the story. There's one scene in the second book where he doesn't dare get too close to listen to a conversation and so he loses an important clue. A problem easily solved by how his power has been used previously. He could have look at futures where he did follow to listen. He could have looked at futures where he knocked on the door and asked what was going on. He did so in the first book. But because this second book requires that he is kept in the dark about the motivations of several characters suddenly he's unable to do what he did in every situation before.

In short, I'm not sold.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#24150 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 12 March 2019 - 10:52 AM

View PostMorgoth, on 12 March 2019 - 09:46 AM, said:

On the recommendation of a friend I've jumped into the Alex Verus series. The first book carried me on the novelty of the concept, but I'm a little ways into the second book the author's inability to keep the main character's power consistent is getting to be quite glaring. It takes me out of the story. There's one scene in the second book where he doesn't dare get too close to listen to a conversation and so he loses an important clue. A problem easily solved by how his power has been used previously. He could have look at futures where he did follow to listen. He could have looked at futures where he knocked on the door and asked what was going on. He did so in the first book. But because this second book requires that he is kept in the dark about the motivations of several characters suddenly he's unable to do what he did in every situation before.

In short, I'm not sold.

I've read all 10? books, and like Dresden they definitely get better as they go on. As i find them popcorn reading and nothing to take too seriously I enjoyed them immensely and look forward to the next in the series.
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#24151 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 12 March 2019 - 10:57 AM

View PostDadding, on 11 March 2019 - 04:04 PM, said:

Just finished up the First Thomas Covenant Trilogy. While the last two books were way better than the first, and while the premise and some of the more existential issues in the series interested me, the actual reading was a bit of a slog, so I don't think I'm going to tackle the Second or Final Chronicles yet, if at all.

Instead I just picked up Eye of the World ... going to try to tackle WOT once and for all. I can't remember exactly where I dropped it last time, I think around book 3 or 4.

The last 3 books in this series are stellar. The Gathering Storm is awesome, Towers of Midnight is my favourite out of all of them and A Memory of Light is epic. Some books seem like filler but I didn't mind them like others.
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#24152 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 12 March 2019 - 11:48 AM

View PostDadding, on 11 March 2019 - 04:04 PM, said:

You can use http://www.encyclopaedia-wot.org/ if you want summaries on the books you read. Just be careful of the hyperlinks, spoiler abound.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#24153 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 12 March 2019 - 12:02 PM

View PostTattersail_, on 12 March 2019 - 10:57 AM, said:

The last 3 books in this series are stellar. The Gathering Storm is awesome, Towers of Midnight is my favourite out of all of them and A Memory of Light is epic. Some books seem like filler but I didn't mind them like others.

Agreed. I'd actually given up on WoT due to my feelings about the more filler-y books, and picked Gathering Storm up in some sort of three for two offer I think.

So, so glad I stuck it out and read the final three. They do make the filler worth it.

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 12 March 2019 - 12:02 PM

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#24154 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 12 March 2019 - 02:04 PM

View PostTattersail_, on 12 March 2019 - 10:52 AM, said:

In short, I'm not sold.

I've read all 10? books, and like Dresden they definitely get better as they go on. As i find them popcorn reading and nothing to take too seriously I enjoyed them immensely and look forward to the next in the series.

I've read the first four and have the earbooks of 5-7 standing by. It absolutely gets better. I agree w your point Morgoth re the first two books but like Dresden, once he hits his stride the series really takes off.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#24155 User is offline   Dadding 

• Shaved Knuckle in the Hole

Posted 12 March 2019 - 03:41 PM

View PostTattersail_, on 12 March 2019 - 10:57 AM, said:

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 12 March 2019 - 12:02 PM, said:

Agreed. I'd actually given up on WoT due to my feelings about the more filler-y books, and picked Gathering Storm up in some sort of three for two offer I think.

So, so glad I stuck it out and read the final three. They do make the filler worth it.

Thanks - it's good to know that it's worth persevering through what I hear are a very lacklustre books 8-10. I really didn't love the only other Sanderson book I've read, I'm eager to see if his contribution to this series redeems him in my eyes.

View Postacesn8s, on 12 March 2019 - 11:48 AM, said:

You can use http://www.encyclopaedia-wot.org/ if you want summaries on the books you read. Just be careful of the hyperlinks, spoiler abound.

Useful, thanks! Though it's been around 7-8 years since I picked it up last, I don't remember anything beyond names and roles of the main characters. So it feels like I'm reading it pretty much from scratch this time.

#24156 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 12 March 2019 - 05:00 PM

View PostTattersail_, on 12 March 2019 - 10:52 AM, said:

In short, I'm not sold.

I love that series. It definitely gets vastly better as it goes on

#24157 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 12 March 2019 - 06:05 PM

View PostBriar King, on 12 March 2019 - 05:20 PM, said:

Inheritance 1 was boring.

Yes. That is well known. My understanding is that it gets worse.

#24158 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 12 March 2019 - 06:57 PM

I wasn't bored by Inheritance 1, but I did think that it had a lot of potential that was squandered.

#24159 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 13 March 2019 - 03:23 AM

About 30% into Kellanved's reach. This feels like a really packed book.

#24160 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 13 March 2019 - 08:35 AM

View PostBriar King, on 12 March 2019 - 06:36 PM, said:

It pisses me off cause it had moments of pure epicness sprinkled in, but it was just boring overall. Took me 35 days. 42 pages in 2 and been enjoying it.

Wait wait! I suddenly realised you're probably talking of Jesmin's inheritance trilogy and not Paolini's. I take back what I said. I loved Jesmin's Inheritance trilogy. Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 1472 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users