• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Reading at t'moment?

#24161 User is offline   Zetubal 

• Captain
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Language

Posted 13 March 2019 - 10:28 PM

Just passed the 50 percent mark of "Water Sleeps" and, yup, this really is much much better than the previous two novels in the series. Feels a little similar to Dreams of Steel in terms of pacing, wit, and badassery.

#24162 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 14 March 2019 - 02:52 PM

Started O'Malley's ROOK (earbook) which was shaping up nicely but a phone issue limited me to my audible library for a couple of days so i switched to ALIEN: OUT OF THE SHADOWS, mostly because it was was short, 4.5 hrs, and i want to get back into ROOK and done before the next EXPANSE his in a few weeks. Interestingly, this is a full audio drama with cast, soundtrack, and fx. It was a members freebie i picked up and more or less forgot about. (as is the case with most audible' free content lately, it was mostly just to pick a freebie and not something i would actually waste a credit on). Writer is Tim Lebbon, a name i've seen on shelves but never read. Rutger Hauer does some of the voices.

About halfway in... and in the realm of ALIENS related fiction... it's fucking stunning.

I was so ready to dislike this, notably because it works with the conceit of slotting a story into the space between ALIEN and ALIENS while Ripley is supposed to be drifting in hypersleep, ad also because i read an entire ALIENS comics megabundle not too long ago and am jaded.

But this is pretty much perfect. This is the ALIENSES movie i wish they had made rather than all the crap we've had since ALIENS.

Drops you right into the story, assumes the reader knows the background and/or isn't an idiot and doesn't waste time on useless exposition. Intros characters quickly and effectively and lets the reader get to know them. Utterly ratchets up the tension. The reader who has seen ALIENS knows, without a doubt, how the story must end, but even so the pacing is so good that i'm too caught up to care. Even working Ripley (and JONES!!!) into the story is done is a way that makes sense in a Hollywood sf logic sort of way. The voice cast is for the most part great, and the background and fx really well done to 'set the soundstage' so to speak.

If you're a fan of ALIEN(S), this is worth a listen.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#24163 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 15 March 2019 - 07:12 AM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 12 March 2019 - 12:02 PM, said:

View PostTattersail_, on 12 March 2019 - 10:57 AM, said:

The last 3 books in this series are stellar. The Gathering Storm is awesome, Towers of Midnight is my favourite out of all of them and A Memory of Light is epic. Some books seem like filler but I didn't mind them like others.

Agreed. I'd actually given up on WoT due to my feelings about the more filler-y books, and picked Gathering Storm up in some sort of three for two offer I think.

So, so glad I stuck it out and read the final three. They do make the filler worth it.

A Memory of Light is probably my top pick for a single book out of everything I've read (which begs the question where did Ole Sandy go so wrong with Stormlight, but that's for the dead thread).
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#24164 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 15 March 2019 - 09:28 AM

Started Kellanved's Reach. About 1/5 in, pacing seems quite quick. Having fun trying to play Spot The Legendary Character.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#24165 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 16 March 2019 - 08:56 PM

Hmm Memory Sorrow Thorn is on Audible and each book is over 30 hours that sounds like it might be my next purchase!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#24166 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 18 March 2019 - 01:54 AM

So I finished Kellanved's Reach, and I felt that it was a bit too hurried.

Far too many big events summarised. The book had little resonance, it felt like a set up book rather than a climax.

I think there should have been a few hundred pages more.

#24167 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 18 March 2019 - 05:43 AM

Been doing some Michael J. Sullivan. Reread the Riyria Revelations, and the published works in Riyria Chronicles. Currently reading The Disappearance of Winter's Daughter.

This post has been edited by Whisperzzzzzzz: 18 March 2019 - 05:43 AM

#24168 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 18 March 2019 - 08:41 AM

View PostAndorion, on 18 March 2019 - 01:54 AM, said:

So I finished Kellanved's Reach, and I felt that it was a bit too hurried.

Far too many big events summarised. The book had little resonance, it felt like a set up book rather than a climax.

I think there should have been a few hundred pages more.

Rush to Ascendancy, in my opinion, has been plagued overall with pacing issues. Deadhouse Speeding felt way, way too brief. But hey, publishers say we want the short popcorn books so that's what we get.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#24169 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 18 March 2019 - 12:26 PM

Peter F. Hamilton's THE DREAMING VOID. Never read him before. He's a tad overly verbose, but I'm enjoying the story so far.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#24170 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 18 March 2019 - 12:43 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 18 March 2019 - 12:26 PM, said:

Peter F. Hamilton's THE DREAMING VOID. Never read him before. He's a tad overly verbose, but I'm enjoying the story so far.

So you've not read the Commonwealth Saga before the Void trilogy? You don't need to but it does inform some of the action and events that you come across. Like I say it's not essential but the Void trilogy is technically a sequel series. All very very good as well IMO...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#24171 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 18 March 2019 - 02:01 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 18 March 2019 - 12:43 PM, said:

So you've not read the Commonwealth Saga before the Void trilogy? You don't need to but it does inform some of the action and events that you come across. Like I say it's not essential but the Void trilogy is technically a sequel series. All very very good as well IMO...

I have PANDORA'S STAR, but haven't read it...though yeah, it does sound like the Commonwealth books set up the universe as I've inferred that for text (most specifically the tying of the defence crescent thingies at the Wall being the same type of constructs from the Dyson Pair? If that's right?

Anyways, I have PANDORA'S STAR, so would you recommend I drop into that first? I don't mind stopping Void if it will enhance my overall enjoyment of Hamilton's universe.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#24172 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 18 March 2019 - 03:20 PM

QT it's not crucial, but it would be beneficial. Gives a lot more context and background for major characters and the milieu in general.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#24173 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 18 March 2019 - 03:28 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 18 March 2019 - 03:20 PM, said:

QT it's not crucial, but it would be beneficial. Gives a lot more context and background for major characters and the milieu in general.

Cool beans. Perhaps I'll do that then.

#24174 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 18 March 2019 - 03:57 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 18 March 2019 - 02:01 PM, said:

I have PANDORA'S STAR, but haven't read it...though yeah, it does sound like the Commonwealth books set up the universe as I've inferred that for text (most specifically the tying of the defence crescent thingies at the Wall being the same type of constructs from the Dyson Pair? If that's right?

Anyways, I have PANDORA'S STAR, so would you recommend I drop into that first? I don't mind stopping Void if it will enhance my overall enjoyment of Hamilton's universe.

I would say definitely read Pandora and Judas Unchained first, at least 2 characters and a later development are given entirely new dimensions in that duology.

Plus you can see how civilization has changed, which is always cool.

#24175 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 18 March 2019 - 04:05 PM

View PostAndorion, on 18 March 2019 - 03:57 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 18 March 2019 - 02:01 PM, said:

I would say definitely read Pandora and Judas Unchained first, at least 2 characters and a later development are given entirely new dimensions in that duology.

Plus you can see how civilization has changed, which is always cool.

Great. I'll star PS tonight then.

#24176 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 18 March 2019 - 04:21 PM

View PostBriar King, on 18 March 2019 - 04:12 PM, said:

Just note that Pandora's Star is slowww for about 400-500 pgs but it flips to holy shit with a snap of your fingers.

You very much want to read them 1st though.

PS has a lost of setup to do to be fair. Judas Unchained is a lot faster and the last sequence is fantastic.

#24177 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 18 March 2019 - 05:19 PM

Yeah now I think more about it the Commonwealth Saga is definitely worth reading first. There's some characters that become quite important a few thousand pages later in the Void trilogy...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#24178 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 18 March 2019 - 05:29 PM

Thanks for all the input all!

#24179 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 18 March 2019 - 05:30 PM

What do you guys think about the Night's Dawn Trilogy? Love, Death, & Robots had a really cool short set in that universe.

#24180 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 18 March 2019 - 05:42 PM

Night's Dawn is my favourite of Hamilton's series I love it. Didn't realise Sonnie's Edge is set in that universe tbh.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

Share this topic:

• 1472 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic