#24201 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 21 March 2019 - 05:30 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 20 March 2019 - 05:17 PM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 20 March 2019 - 03:45 PM, said:

View Postacesn8s, on 20 March 2019 - 01:18 PM, said:

75% of the way through The Dragonbone Chair. I should have reread this a long time ago.

That whole series is on Audible has anyone heard it and is it worth me spending 4 credits on? Quite a big fan of Tad Williams other stuff..

I've not listened on Audible yet, but the narrator is Andrew Wincott and he makes it sound like you're sitting around an old fireplace and an well-spoken gentleman is telling you a fairytale. Such an evocative voice.

As to the series, it's one of my all time favourites and has a place of honour on my shelf.

View PostBriar King, on 20 March 2019 - 05:31 PM, said:

Abyss replies in 3, 2, 1

Great series, everyone should read it.
All four books of OTHERLAND too.
And TIGANA... BEST book EVER.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#24202 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 21 March 2019 - 05:32 AM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 20 March 2019 - 08:11 PM, said:

View PostAndorion, on 20 March 2019 - 04:09 PM, said:

So I am all caught up on Seanan McGuire's October Daye books, and IMO this series rates alongside Dresden and Rivers of London in terms of urban fantasy. Absolutely superb character writing.

Also today I finished the first book of McGuire's Incryptid series - Discount Armageddon and this seems like a more light take on urban fantasy which is still pretty entertaining.

Check out her "Indexing" series too, if you haven't already: two books about a team of operatives responsible for dealing with fairy tale narratives taking over the real world. Great stuff, and a really unique twist on the urban fantasy genre. I do still need to get into the two series you mentioned.

Indexing is on my radar but thanks for the reco.

October Daye has a real jolt for a start. I was not expecting the first book of a series to take such a sharp turn, and it really threw me. But McGuire really takes her characters seriously and invests in long term planning. Frankly this series deserves more attention.

#24203 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 21 March 2019 - 06:29 AM

View PostAndorion, on 21 March 2019 - 05:32 AM, said:

So I am all caught up on Seanan McGuire's October Daye books, and IMO this series rates alongside Dresden and Rivers of London in terms of urban fantasy. Absolutely superb character writing.

Also today I finished the first book of McGuire's Incryptid series - Discount Armageddon and this seems like a more light take on urban fantasy which is still pretty entertaining.

Check out her "Indexing" series too, if you haven't already: two books about a team of operatives responsible for dealing with fairy tale narratives taking over the real world. Great stuff, and a really unique twist on the urban fantasy genre. I do still need to get into the two series you mentioned.

October Daye has a real jolt for a start. I was not expecting the first book of a series to take such a sharp turn, and it really threw me. But McGuire really takes her characters seriously and invests in long term planning. Frankly this series deserves more attention.

Damn it people. I don't have time to read all these recommendations!

Edit oh dear. There's 12 October Daye books...

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 21 March 2019 - 06:35 AM

#24204 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 21 March 2019 - 06:47 AM

View PostAptorian, on 21 March 2019 - 06:29 AM, said:

View PostAndorion, on 21 March 2019 - 05:32 AM, said:

Damn it people. I don't have time to read all these recommendations!

Edit oh dear. There's 12 October Daye books...

And its still ongoing. The 13th is due this year.

#24205 User is offline   Zetubal 

• Captain
  • Interests:Language

Posted 21 March 2019 - 02:17 PM

Finally finished Water Sleeps (aka Black Company 8) this morning. Pretty good throughout the first 80 percent. Sleepy is a much more involved, though only marginally less self-absorbed protagonist than Murgen. Finally getting a narrator who's originally Taglian/Jaicuri offered some nice insight into people that thus far always seemed kind of unfathomable. The reveal that Taglians fearing the Company is just the result of some magical mindfuckery rather than anything that the Company forefathers ever did is actually kind of funny, I won't lie, and making Sleepy a native plus history/book geek feels like a far more natural way for the narrator to find out stuff about the past. So, the novel goes on and all in all it's looking pretty good. Fun, exhilarating moments of cleverness, clear goals, relatable motivations, some human drama - but then we get to the Glittering Plain.
First thing that set me off was the incredibly poorly handled "reveals" about the fact that there are several planes of existence and the history of the Plain + the Free Companies. After spending literally 4 full novels piecing together what might have happened, here we simply get a 7 pages dialogue between Sleepy and Ghost Murgen wherein the latter simply info-dumps the entire backstory/lore of the world on her. What's all the more jarring is the context in which this exposition dump is delivered: At that point, the company is about to enter the ancient nameless fortress, stone pillars containing glyphs have been revealed, Sleepy has been established as a capable, knowledgeable historian, she has her librarian/uber-historian Santaraksita with her AND Doj has shown willingness to share his knowledge. Put these factors together and Cook could easily have written the story in such a way as to have the characters piece together enough of the backstory through "archaeology", rather than just having Murgen force-feed the information to them. I mean...isn't that Chekov's gun? And as if the first info dump wasn't bad enough, there's another one when Sleepy, Tobo, Doj, and some others get mind-probed by Shivetya. Which is a whole new level of bad because the narration at that point has become really erratic and hard to follow. Also, Shivetya injecting the Company brothers with knowledge that will pop up in their minds whenever they need it is a really transparent trick to conveniently have them pull stuff out of their ass...Oh, and someone needs to kick Tobo's ass for getting poor old Goblin killed.
Overall decent entry that could've been a whole lot better if the closing act had been different.

On to Soldier's Live.

#24206 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 21 March 2019 - 02:57 PM

Interesting. Since I'm almost done with Kate Daniels, I'll give this new series a look-see.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#24207 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 21 March 2019 - 08:56 PM

On to book three of The Belgariad.

Only not quite. I couldn't figure out why there were so many titles in the bibliography of the Danish translation and why they differed so much from the English version.

Turns out there's ten books in the Danish version. They're entertaining enough but my to read list just got five books longer. I was hoping to finish the series by next week!

#24208 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 21 March 2019 - 09:50 PM

View PostAptorian, on 21 March 2019 - 08:56 PM, said:

Turns out there's ten books in the Danish version. They're entertaining enough but my to read list just got five books longer. I was hoping to finish the series by next week!

I assume the next 5 are the sequel series, The Mallorean?
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#24209 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 21 March 2019 - 11:41 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 20 March 2019 - 05:17 PM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 20 March 2019 - 03:45 PM, said:

View Postacesn8s, on 20 March 2019 - 01:18 PM, said:

75% of the way through The Dragonbone Chair. I should have reread this a long time ago.

That whole series is on Audible has anyone heard it and is it worth me spending 4 credits on? Quite a big fan of Tad Williams other stuff..

I've not listened on Audible yet, but the narrator is Andrew Wincott and he makes it sound like you're sitting around an old fireplace and an well-spoken gentleman is telling you a fairytale. Such an evocative voice.

As to the series, it's one of my all time favourites and has a place of honour on my shelf.

This series is on my shelf as well. I thoroughly enjoyed it and have read it 2 or 3 times. I've not heard the Audible version yet but that may very well end up being the way I go through the series next time. It always struck me as a variation of the King Arthur story.

Speaking of King Arthur, I just started The Once and Future King on Audible on my drive home from work this afternoon. I read this in my teens and loved it. Just finished Ivanhoe on my drive to work this morning. I had not previously read that one but I really enjoyed. I have a feeling if I had tried to read it in print, I might have found it difficult. But listening to it was effortless, perhaps because I had to concentrate to decipher some of the verbiage and sentence structure. I nearly laughed many times as a phrase or sentence had me picturing scenes from Monty Python and the Holy Grail, which I love to death. I'm on a total medieval kick now, it seems.

#24210 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 22 March 2019 - 01:48 AM

Sullivan's Age of Myth.

#24211 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 22 March 2019 - 02:19 AM

O’Sullivan’s THE ROOK.Light urban fantasy spy-fi stuff, fun. Excellent earbook narrator makes it more engaging than the otherwise unsurprising story might be.About 75% thru and if it ends as strong as it’s been i’ll Probably jump right to book 2 unless the next EXPANSE arrives.

#24212 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 22 March 2019 - 04:35 AM

View PostAbyss, on 22 March 2019 - 02:19 AM, said:

O’Sullivan’s THE ROOK.Light urban fantasy spy-fi stuff, fun. Excellent earbook narrator makes it more engaging than the otherwise unsurprising story might be.About 75% thru and if it ends as strong as it’s been i’ll Probably jump right to book 2 unless the next EXPANSE arrives.

I got about fifty, maybe a hundred pages into it and dropped it because I thought the premise was too stupid to be believable.

Spoiler

Does it pull it off?

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 22 March 2019 - 04:40 AM

#24213 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 22 March 2019 - 04:40 AM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 21 March 2019 - 09:50 PM, said:

View PostAptorian, on 21 March 2019 - 08:56 PM, said:

I assume the next 5 are the sequel series, The Mallorean?

Don't appear so. Though I hate spoilers so I haven't looked at the blurb in the later books description.

The books are relatively light. Only 150-160 pages. Nice little packages that you can devour in a day if you have a slow evening.

#24214 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 22 March 2019 - 05:09 AM

View PostAptorian, on 22 March 2019 - 04:40 AM, said:

Don't appear so. ... The books are relatively light. Only 150-160 pages. Nice little packages that you can devour in a day if you have a slow evening.

Ah, I see my Belgariad copies are 300-400 pgs each (longer than I would have guessed!) and I see each book has 3-4 "parts", so they must have gotten split up along those lines.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#24215 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 22 March 2019 - 05:10 AM

Goodreads appears to confirm the books are split in 2 in the Danish edition.

#24216 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 22 March 2019 - 07:19 AM

that seems reasonably common in continental versions of a lot of series.

Read books one and two of Amber.

I enjoyed book 1 a lot more than the first time I read it, not sure what I disliked about it. Guns of Avalon was a pretty good follow up, its caught me well enough that I'll finish the first 5, then step and before considering the second 5, which I gather are lesser in quality

#24217 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 22 March 2019 - 07:29 PM

View PostMacros, on 22 March 2019 - 07:19 AM, said:

that seems reasonably common in continental versions of a lot of series.

Read books one and two of Amber.

I enjoyed book 1 a lot more than the first time I read it, not sure what I disliked about it. Guns of Avalon was a pretty good follow up, its caught me well enough that I'll finish the first 5, then step and before considering the second 5, which I gather are lesser in quality

It's not so much lesser in quality as a character jump and the unfinished nature of the series due to his health problems. The cancer and kidney failure killed him before he was sixty.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#24218 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 22 March 2019 - 08:59 PM

Just finished Alastair Reynolds' Permafrost on the old electro-thingie. It's quite short (it is a novella, after all), surprisingly grim, packs a lot of meaty thinking about the technology and mechanics of time travel into its diminutive length, and, with a couple of interesting concepts that I hadn't seen before, is quite probably a new paradigm in time travel stories - I particularly like the way he handles temporal paradox. Also, at two and a bit pounds for the electronic version, it's comparatively cheap; which is not to be sniffed at.

Worth a punt if you have approximately three quid going spare.

Okay, so :
Spoiler

This post has been edited by stone monkey: 23 March 2019 - 01:52 AM

If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#24219 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 23 March 2019 - 05:28 AM

Added Permafrost to my Kindle library. No idea when I'll get around to reading it.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 23 March 2019 - 05:29 AM

#24220 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 23 March 2019 - 06:04 AM

Finished "Angels and Demons". What a twisted little drama this turned out to be.

Now I feel tempted to just power through a Da Vinci Code re-read (I originally read it in a day), and then also read "Last Symbol" (I got it as a gift many years ago; I should probably read it).

In commute, finished "Gunmetal Magic" . A bit too heavy on the emotional side for my tastes, but once the murdering of mythical things took centre stage, it became a good urbf fix. There's another novella in the volume, but I think I need to power through that at home, so I don't finish it in half my trip home from work and then get stuck with no book.

Once I'm done with that, next book off my shelf and into the work bag will be Stephenson's "Rise and Fall of the D.O.D.O."
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

Share this topic:

• 1473 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users