• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

House of the Dragon

#161 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 03 October 2022 - 04:17 AM

This show is very good.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#162 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 03 October 2022 - 04:19 AM

Aside from the day-for-night tinting, that is. But I mean, it's COVID times, gotta grant a little leeway here and there.

#163 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 03 October 2022 - 08:31 AM

Based on the preview for next week's episode there's going to be another time jump - older eye patch Aemond. And boy, does he seem menacing. I haven't paid much attention to the viewership numbers of the show, but I understand the previous time jump has cheesed some of the audience off. I think the primary reason might boil down to people were annoyed to see the younger actresses finish their parts, as they were roundly applauded for their performances. I wonder if another time jump will continue pissing people off. I have a sinister streak in me that really hopes so. I like when over zealous fandom picks up their ball and goes home. Bye Felicia.

I'm still enjoying it for the most part, even though the episode was basically a Dr. Phil episode (pre corny hour long discussion/therapy session) of toxic, family dysfunctional drama. I was expecting Queen Alicent to say "catch me outside", but then she decided why not right here.

Not sure I buy into that Vhagar would just be all - I choo-choo-choose you. Maybe it will be laid out as the show progresses as to why. Which gets me to thinking; Hightowers aren't of the blood of the dragon, right? So why are Aegon and Aemond (and their sister) not sus? Aside from they look like they come from a pure line and they aren't bastards. Is there some history that proves House Hightower is indeed in the mix and so is acceptable?

#164 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 03 October 2022 - 12:35 PM

View PostRenewed For 2 More Seasons, on 03 October 2022 - 04:19 AM, said:

Aside from the day-for-night tinting, that is. But I mean, it's COVID times, gotta grant a little leeway here and there.

I would say that's spot on...there's no way you do the "tinted blue daytime-shot scenes for night" for over half the episode unless there is a really good reason and I suspect COVID was it.

Otherwise this was a FANTASTIC episode. The tension in the Driftmark throne room scene was palpable. They did a great job of amping both Alicent and Cristen into crazed villains, and juxtaposing Aegon's frippery with Aemond's much more clear and subtle drive.

My fave bit was Cristen about to go after Rhaenyra and Daemon stepping in his way like "I don't THINK so MFer."

And my wife was glad that Daemon and Rhaenyra didn't plot have Laenor killed, and instead collabed with him to craft a hidden escape for him and his lover.

Only three eps left and I'm going to be salivating for the next season already!

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 03 October 2022 - 01:20 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#165 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 03 October 2022 - 01:35 PM

Yah I agree with all of that (though my favorite dramatic part was the kid fight). Aside from that stuff, I will also say that this ep had by far the best dragon scenes in this or GoT. Maybe in any live action production I've ever seen. Not to get too goopy about it, but that was the kinda thing I feel like I've waited my whole life to see.

#166 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 03 October 2022 - 01:40 PM

View PostRenewed For 2 More Seasons, on 03 October 2022 - 01:35 PM, said:

Yah I agree with all of that (though my favorite dramatic part was the kid fight).

Well done fight AND I heard Sapochnik took 5 full days to shoot it so that it was done right, but that the kid actors weren't overtly taxed or treated poorly throughout.

View PostRenewed For 2 More Seasons, on 03 October 2022 - 01:35 PM, said:

Aside from that stuff, I will also say that this ep had by far the best dragon scenes in this or GoT. Maybe in any live action production I've ever seen. Not to get too goopy about it, but that was the kinda thing I feel like I've waited my whole life to see.

Right? It was VERY cool, and so much slow and deliberate closeups of Vhagar interacting with Aemond, and then the flight sequence was excellent.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#167 User is offline   ContrarianMalazanReader 

• Fist

Posted 03 October 2022 - 03:43 PM

This series keeps outdoing itself.

Of Alicent's children, Aegon seems like a mere brat who enjoys the privileges of being a prince, and Aemond is the one you should really watch out for. Alicent's daughter only seems interested in studying insects.

Even though it's been ten years, Otto looks younger instead of older.

Aemond looked like an ant on top of Vhagar, showing just how gargantuan she really is.

#168 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 03 October 2022 - 08:32 PM

I couldn't get my girlfriend to watch it — the king sacrificing his wife in the first episode was too much for her. Consequently, I have not been able to watch it either, as we only watch TV together :(

#169 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 10 October 2022 - 05:20 AM

Dang. Mah stories. I'm really enjoying mah stories.

#170 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 11 October 2022 - 12:22 AM

Ep. 8:

The golden mask that King Viserys wears is a nice presage (or post-sage? how does this work in a prequel?) of the fate of the Prince Viserys we know from ASOIAF.

And maybe I'm slow on the uptake, but I'm finally gathering that his dagger is the same Valyrian dagger that kicks off GoT.

Speaking of Valyrian steel, this episode proved it makes as clean a cut as its reputation suggests.

This post has been edited by Renewed For 2 More Seasons: 11 October 2022 - 12:32 AM

#171 User is offline   Dadding 

• Shaved Knuckle in the Hole

Posted 11 October 2022 - 06:38 AM

I thought episode 8 was the best episode yet, Paddy Considine knocked it out of the park in every scene he was in. Ewan Mitchell did some pretty great sulking too, such a change from his character in The Last Kingdom.

#172 User is online   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 11 October 2022 - 07:34 AM

View PostDadding, on 11 October 2022 - 06:38 AM, said:

I thought episode 8 was the best episode yet, Paddy Considine knocked it out of the park in every scene he was in. Ewan Mitchell did some pretty great sulking too, such a change from his character in The Last Kingdom.

From what I'm reading all over the place the consensus seems to be the competition is over, just hand him the Emmy already. Like Peter Dinklage.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#173 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 11 October 2022 - 02:20 PM

View PostRenewed For 2 More Seasons, on 11 October 2022 - 12:22 AM, said:

Ep. 8:
Speaking of Valyrian steel, this episode proved it makes as clean a cut as its reputation suggests.

On damned near everyone episode Daemon has proven that aside form wanting to be "heir", that he REALLY only ever has had Viserys best interests at heart and he should have kept him closer so that the Hightowers didn't get their hooks into him.

That scene is EXQUISITE....from the moment that Viserys drags his almost-dead ass into the throne room and slowly across the floor...only to be helped by his brother (a scene that I heard was initially improvised as Paddy dropped the crown and Matt picked it up and put it on his head and the director decided it was a great improv, so they kept it and reshot it to fit the scene more accurately.

Then Vaemon starts to talk...hesitates...Daemon: "Say it" (AKA Fuck around and find out)...."They are BASTARDS...and she is a whore" moment, Viserys "I'll have your tongue for that!"...SLICE...Daemon: He can keep his tongue...

Brilliance. Sheer brilliance. If we get nothing more in the final two eps that matches that scene...I will still be wildly happy.

I thought episode 8 was the best episode yet, Paddy Considine knocked it out of the park in every scene he was in.

Absolutely incredible. He's easily the MVP of S1.

View PostTsundoku, on 11 October 2022 - 07:34 AM, said:

From what I'm reading all over the place the consensus seems to be the competition is over, just hand him the Emmy already. Like Peter Dinklage.

1000%. He's put more work into that character than anyone else in a season FULL of people putting in the work. If he wins, this will be the episode it will be for.

I also think it's funny, Vaemodn would very much have known his nephew was gay....since Corlys and Rhaenys both clearly are aware...so the notion that he and Rhaenyra could not conceive should be pretty easy to suss out...and they clearly had an "arrangement"...so for him to go off about the boys "blood" not being enough to be heirs of Driftmark....just showed his hand so clearly as his own ambition. He would have supported Rhaenys and the kids (even if they had Strong blood and not Velaryon) if it was just about succession as they are still his line by marriage...fucking clown deserved what he got and quite frankly Daemon gave him a quicker death than he deserved.

#174 User is offline   ContrarianMalazanReader 

• Fist

Posted 11 October 2022 - 05:19 PM

One thing that bothers me is that the actor who plays adult Aegon II looks younger than Ewan Mitchell, who plays Aemond.

#175 User is offline   ContrarianMalazanReader 

• Fist

Posted 11 October 2022 - 05:26 PM

I'm also assuming Daeron Targaryen won't be included in the series and the producers chose to write him out entirely in order to streamline the story.

#176 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 11 October 2022 - 05:45 PM

View PostContrarianMalazanReader, on 11 October 2022 - 05:19 PM, said:

One thing that bothers me is that the actor who plays adult Aegon II looks younger than Ewan Mitchell, who plays Aemond.

Ewan Mitchell (Aemond) is 22 years old.

Tom Glynn-Carney (Aegon II) is 27 years old.

Not sure what to tell you...

#177 User is offline   ContrarianMalazanReader 

• Fist

Posted 11 October 2022 - 06:05 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 11 October 2022 - 05:45 PM, said:

View PostContrarianMalazanReader, on 11 October 2022 - 05:19 PM, said:

Ewan Mitchell (Aemond) is 22 years old.

Tom Glynn-Carney (Aegon II) is 27 years old.

Not sure what to tell you...

I mean, Aemond looks older than Aegon even though Aegon is the eldest, but that's a minor nitpick.

#178 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 11 October 2022 - 07:27 PM

Don't give a shit about awards shows, especially the shitty Emmy's. See Better Call Saul for a case study on how out of touch the Emmys are. You've your homework now, it shouldn't take long to understand why the Emmys suck. BUT, if the actor who portrays King Viserys was to get one, it would be for the dinner table scene in that episode. His plea to all assembled was mmmm.mmmm *chef's-kiss. It was very powerful and emotional.

Yeah, the time jump and new actors - Aegon seemed out of place. I liked the previous Aegon.

Aemond's admiration for his funcle comes across strong, but in a twisted "you and I are gonna tangle" sort of way.

Missed opportunity. They should have had Daemon go full Sam Kinison Super Saiyan.

#179 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 18 October 2022 - 01:59 AM

Oh man, Helena's previous ramblings that predicted the events that transpired whizzed right by me. I did not pick up on that until reading a breakdown of her predictions. I'm going to have to make note of her words more and file them away going forward. I am patting myself on the back though, knowing that Aegon would get more debased in his "hobbies" than just whoring around. About the whoring, ummm, if it gets out that there are unknown number of bastards running around Flea Bottom won't that cause issues with his claim? Not like there aren't issues already. ha!

Oh, one thing I need explained I guess - What was Otto Hightowers's aims in getting to Aegon first and having his one x one with him?

Annnnd there it is; a foot fetish. GoT/HotD (ASoIaF writ large) sure does give the characters agency to fly their freak flags.

This post has been edited by Malankazooie: 18 October 2022 - 02:00 AM

#180 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 18 October 2022 - 03:28 AM

I think Otto's aim was to get Aegon to side with him on the fate of Rhaenyra and fam before the coronation -- he's a tie up every loose end type of dude -- as opposed to Alecynt's plan to just get it done asap (without bloodshed) and let everyone else deal.

Share this topic:

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users