Malazan Empire: Battle Ground SPOILERS OF DOOM discussion topic - Malazan Empire

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Battle Ground SPOILERS OF DOOM discussion topic

#61 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 14 October 2020 - 01:13 PM

View PostCause, on 10 October 2020 - 12:59 AM, said:

Cristos? Is black council separate to nemesis. Is he not black council. He played it loyal. He could have popped the black staff from behind and the outsiders win. How did nemesis or outsiders influence the titan? We never discuss people summoning outsiders/corner hounds again.

Maybe Cristos was straight all along and we were only led to believe he was Black Council - smoke and mirrors. Could be his death in this book is to show us that we were wrong and it is actually someone else that is Black Council in the Senior Council. Merlin seems like a wanker, could be him.

But that may be bollocks, I really need to reread this series...

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#62 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 14 October 2020 - 02:58 PM

Whoever is behind the Outsiders why not summon them during this conflict?
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#63 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 14 October 2020 - 03:21 PM

Someone summoned corner hounds which I think ere said to be outsiders? Def Cthulhu inspired. They never addressed it again.

A lot won’t make sense until we hear some reveals in later books maybe but I also think it’s hard to right something this big in fantasy and make it survive too mcluch examination. Summoning outsiders would be huge. Drakul summoning zombie army would have been huge.

We are always told what makes wizards powerful is time, preparardness and rituals. With that and cooperation they can go toe to toe with the big evils in the world. What we only ever see is Harry or the black staff slugging it out with pure power.

Also just remembered. The council voted unanimously to kick out Dresden. Not including listens to wind and McCoy who were in surgery? Was the gatekeeper present for the vote or was he at the gates can’t remember? He knows Harry is the WARDEN. Seems odd he would vote him out.

Actually given that most people don’t know Harry is the warden and didn’t see how he defeated the titan, I’m surprised more people are not freaking the fuck out.

#64 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 14 October 2020 - 04:12 PM

The Gatekeeper can see the future and may know that Harry needs to be independent of the White Council to do what must be done. We know there's a time travel book and we know Jim wants Harry to break all the laws.

Has he broke them all except time travel so far?

I cannot wait for that book. He said it precludes the final trilogy.
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#65 User is offline   champ 

Posted 14 October 2020 - 04:26 PM

How does one summon the Outsiders, do you have to be magical? Could Justine have done it if magic is not required as she is infected afterall.

Also if there was an attack at the Gates the Gate Keeper would probably be there rather than at a council meeting.

Tehol said:

#66 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 14 October 2020 - 05:00 PM

I think the rule for outsiders so far has been they can only be summoned by mortal magicians. So red court, black court practitioners etc can’t do it. That said I think during the war it’s mentioned the red court used outsiders once, possibly using their venom to thrall human wizards. So there seems an easy way around this. Lord faith summoned an entropy cheese that’s linked to he who walks behind but he did use 3 mortal women to help.

Justine doesn’t have the juice though,

Know that you say it though it’s amazing they don’t summon more outsiders than they do.

#67 User is offline   champ 

Posted 14 October 2020 - 06:40 PM

I'm going to do a reread after I finish with Harrow and the Mark Lawrence books.

There will be a reason why somewhere... or it'll be something yet to learn why they don't.

That second video I posted was a Q&A with Butcher, I'd recommend giving it a watch, he brings up some interesting facts...

Two of the best, Kemmler was a previous Warden of Demonreach, it was all out war stopping him from getting back to the island and unleashing hell, also Starborn have been kicking around since the dawn of creation...

There was more juicy in there but I've forgotten it now, blame the meds...

This post has been edited by champ: 14 October 2020 - 06:40 PM

Tehol said:

#68 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 14 October 2020 - 10:32 PM

The thing with the Outsiders is that whatever we first learned about them could have been heavily skewed by Harry's own perspective/lack of knowledge. We didn't even know He Who Walks Behind *was* an Outsider, rather than just some summoned demon thug, for quite a while, and even when we learned it was an Outsider we didn't know being a Walker was special.

So... what if it's never really been a matter of "who is behind the Outsiders?"... maybe the Outsiders have always been an independent force making their own moves this whole time, and anytime there's been a question of "What wizard /vampire would be crazy enough to summon Outsiders against us?" it's been a Nemesis'd person opening the gate?

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#69 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB

Posted 24 October 2020 - 08:49 AM

Gotta consumate the marriage, unless Harry stays celibate until he finds a new true love...
Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#70 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 31 October 2020 - 07:40 PM

Finished. Great book. Final third was breathtaking and I went to sleep way too late considering I had to be up before 5am this morning haha but it was so good.

New Harry outside of the White Council should be fun as should the upcoming "wedding" however that ends up manifesting.

Is Murphy dead? I dunno, I can see Harry ending up with Molly at the end of things. I kind of hope she is not because I don't like her but it might cheapen her death of she's back so soon. I think the comment about her becoming an Einherajen (sp?) shows that she won't be back.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#71 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 06 March 2022 - 10:31 PM

View PostTattersail_, on 14 October 2020 - 04:12 PM, said:

The Gatekeeper can see the future and may know that Harry needs to be independent of the White Council to do what must be done. We know there's a time travel book and we know Jim wants Harry to break all the laws.

Has he broke them all except time travel so far?

I cannot wait for that book. He said it precludes the final trilogy.

I’m a little behind on the current state of theories regarding this bit… we know he time traveled, but which book was the first book he went back to for sure. Just checking

This post has been edited by Nicodimas: 06 March 2022 - 10:32 PM

-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#72 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 29 December 2022 - 05:23 PM

I just finished a reread of peace talks and battleground. Where is peace 12 months!

It’s been two years. This isn’t like him.

This post has been edited by Cause: 29 December 2022 - 05:23 PM

#73 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 30 December 2022 - 03:29 AM

According to his site he has been wrapping up the second cinder spires book, so it might be a while still…
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users