Malazan Empire: COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV) - Malazan Empire

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV)

#2541 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 03 April 2021 - 06:33 PM

Gah. My friend who went to Mexico. I managed to cool off after the initial holiday discovery. Looked back over the friendship, remembered how she took care of stuff for me during an emergency hospital admission, took some deep breaths, she's a proper friend. I messaged her and hoped she was getting what she needed from the trip. Now I'm seeing on FB blatant non-post-holiday-quarantine.

Gah!! It's just better not to know.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#2542 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 03 April 2021 - 06:49 PM

Got my first jab of Moderna this morning.

All good. Everything seems normal, except i have this sudden urge to use Bing instead of Google......But i'm sure its nothing.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#2543 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 05 April 2021 - 12:47 PM

Just venting.

So our province cases are spiking (6k in two days before the weekend) with the variant that is now infecting younger people and putting people near my age (40's) into hospital AND the ICUs. Our ICU capacity in Ontario is tied for WORST on the planet with Mexico...2300 beds, for 14.5million pop. and we are over that capacity.

Ford and his cronies put us in "shutdown"....we were already in grey "lockdown" and nether of these things close anything but indoor dining, gyms, and personal care...fucking MALLS are wide open. So the variants are rampant and the govt isn't mandating anything worthwhile. Outbreaks are happening in many factory and warehouse settings, and without paid sick days (something Ford got rid of when he got into office) those people have to decide between getting paid and putting food on the table, or getting sick. A recent story was that a guy at a warehouse setting where an outbreak occurred had to go in the following shift or lose his money...the whole shift got COVID (Variant), he brought it home and his wife got it. Wife (40s) ended up in the ICU on a Ventilator...it took 17 different doctors and staff to save her life...only to lose her the next day as she succumbed. It would have cost $114 to pay that husband for a day off sick to get tested/avoid the shift that preceded him with the outbreak...but no, it's better to have 17 people try to save her life and fail, right Doug Ford?

So lockdowns that aren't lockdowns (seriously, the list of open shit is 3 times longer than what's closed)....Ford was largely voted in by people 60+ (most of whom have been vaccinated, or are currently being vaccinated)...so he's saved his electorate....and essential people (disproportionately POC and from income stricken communities) and younger people, and the hospital ICUs can apparently go fuck themselves?

The vaccine rollout has been a JOKE. He keeps claiming that all the doses are getting used, but the math does not add up each week.

I'm watching people in other countries my age or younger getting vaccinated...while I take public transit to get to my essential/can't work from home job...without the prospect of a vaccine in sight for me, and the variants running rampant at 67% of what's out there...

I'm bereft. I'm angry. I've done my part for more than a year! We even looked after my in-laws for a large portion of that year and suffered the death of one...and now that it should be our turn...we are left with nothing and the threat of the virus that can affect us worst.

The only thanks I have is that my wife (being a health care worker) is fully vaccinated with Pfizer since Feb.

I'm losing hope, and my mental health is taking a daily beating I'm not sure I'll recover from.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 05 April 2021 - 12:48 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#2544 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 05 April 2021 - 03:23 PM

MLB's Texas Rangers to have their stadium open at full capacity - 40,000.

. . . take me out to the ball game.
. . . it's one, two, three coughs I'm sick, at the ol' ball game.

#2545 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 05 April 2021 - 04:26 PM

Have my appointment for my first shot on wednesday.

#2546 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 05 April 2021 - 09:23 PM

Got my first Pfizer this morning!

#2547 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 05 April 2021 - 10:13 PM

Vaccination will be open to all adults in Pennsylvania on April 19th... except in Philadelphia. But apparently Philadelphia residents can get vaccinated elsewhere in the state---might be lots of vacancies off in Trump country. OTOH assuming that's true there may be less of a wait once it opens to all adults in the city as well (current estimate is May 1st... might be being optimistic though). I could brave public transport (and probably rideshare or a long walk) through Trumplandia, but I think I'll wait for now.

Parents found plenty of openings near the rural area where my mother grew up---I haven't been there in years, though I've been told the Trump virus has infected many (or at least the loudest) there.

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 05 April 2021 - 10:19 PM

#2548 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 06 April 2021 - 10:14 PM

'Biden moves deadline for all US adults to be eligible for Covid vaccine to April 19'

https://www.cnn.com/...iden/index.html

Had been May 1st. Was wondering whether Philadelphia would do the same....

'Philadelphia will open COVID-19 vaccine eligibility to all adults on April 19, along with Pennsylvania and New Jersey.

Delaware opened vaccinations to all adults on Tuesday.

[...]

Coronavirus cases are rising in and around Philadelphia.

[...]

New York, Michigan, Florida, Pennsylvania and New Jersey together reported 44% of the nation's new COVID-19 infections, or nearly 197,500 new cases, in the latest available seven-day period

[...]

Surging vaccines to places where the number is going up makes sense, [...] But it's also complicated.

"You wouldn't want to make those folks wait because they were doing better," [...] "On the other hand, it only makes sense to send vaccines to where the cases are rising."

[...]

Philadelphia should have enough vaccinations to give shots to all residents by the end of June[...]

"Everyone probably could be vaccinated by the end of June, but how many people choose to be vaccinated by the end of June is very hard to predict," [...]

[...] at least 25% of Philadelphia residents have had at least one dose of vaccine.

[...]

The Biden administration will not support a system that requires Americans to carry a proof of vaccination, dubbed "vaccine passports," [...]

The information is intended to allow businesses to open safely, but Republican lawmakers have criticized the practice as an intrusion of privacy. Republican state senators in Pennsylvania are pushing for a bill that would prohibit Gov. Tom Wolf from requiring passports, though Wolf has made no such proposal. [No, just the Mark of the Beast---the Beast obviously being Bill Gates...]'

https://www.inquirer...s-20210406.html

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 06 April 2021 - 10:15 PM

#2549 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 06 April 2021 - 10:24 PM

My building decided to ban all in-person real estate showings.

This is going to make renting out my flat more difficult.

This post has been edited by Mentalist: 06 April 2021 - 10:24 PM

The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#2550 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 06 April 2021 - 10:39 PM

'Clear link between AstraZeneca vaccine and rare blood clots in brain[...]

[...] a senior official for the European Medicines Agency (EMA) said in an interview[...]

[...] However, the EMA later said in a statement that its review of the vaccine was ongoing and it expected to announce its findings on Wednesday or Thursday.

[...]

AstraZeneca has said previously its studies have found no higher risk of clots because of its vaccine.
[...] The EMA said last week that its review had at present not identified any specific risk factors, such as age, gender or a previous medical history of clotting disorders, for these very rare events.

[...]

European investigators have put forward one theory that the vaccine triggers an unusual antibody in some rare cases; others are trying to understand whether the cases are linked with birth control pills.

[...]

The AstraZeneca vaccine is based on a modified chimpanzee adenovirus vector[...] The current vaccine rollout represents the first use of viral vector vaccines on such a global scale.'

https://www.reuters....r-idUSKBN2BT1TF

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 06 April 2021 - 10:40 PM

#2551 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 07 April 2021 - 02:02 AM

I finally got my letter to book a vaccine appointment and my wife didn't cos we're different age brackets and oof that stung a bit.

Though let's not get into the fact that I'm emergency services and perhaps should have had it a while back considering I'm still in with, seeing people, going into their houses etc. They've similarly ignored teachers despite then having to keep working for the most part.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#2552 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 07 April 2021 - 07:43 AM

Yeah I know a few teachers relatively closely and they're not at all happy about not getting priority for vaccines, which makes sense because they are having to attend schools to teach the kids of people considered frontline workers, who are more at risk of contracting or transmitting the illness in the first place.

My wife is waiting on her second vaccine. I am probably not going to get any correspondence for months yet. I don't anticipate getting my first shot until probably September or so.

Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#2553 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 07 April 2021 - 06:09 PM

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

#2554 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 07 April 2021 - 06:57 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 07 April 2021 - 06:09 PM, said:

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

'Over 30 percent of Americans say they won't get COVID-19 vaccine: poll

[...] 15 percent of survey respondents said they will "definitely" not get a coronavirus vaccine. Seventeen percent said that they will "probably not" get the inoculation.'

https://thehill.com/...19-vaccine-poll

Granted, that poll was from February. Still... that last (75-(100-(15+17)))% = 7% might be difficult.

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 07 April 2021 - 06:57 PM

#2555 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 07 April 2021 - 07:04 PM

More recent polls:
'The study, which surveyed 1,227 U.S. adults from March 3 to March 8, found that approximately 30 percent of Americans overall said they do not plan on getting vaccinated. '

https://thehill.com/...inated-pbs-poll

OTOH:

'Five different pollsters asked Americans how willing they are to get vaccinated in December, and again in March, while giving people some option to say they were undecided or in the middle. [...]

[...] the average share who expressed little intention of getting vaccinated dipped a relatively modest 5 points, while the undecided share fell an average of 18 points.'

https://fivethirtyei...-how-many-will/

So 75% may be within reach....

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 07 April 2021 - 07:04 PM

#2556 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 08 April 2021 - 12:30 AM

Just got my pfizer stab

#2557 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 08 April 2021 - 03:55 AM

Are you feeling any unexpected stiffness?

#2558 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 08 April 2021 - 07:11 AM

Only when they see pictures of Bill gates

#2559 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 08 April 2021 - 07:23 AM

Attached File  Bill-Gates-Funny-Photoshopped-Wallpaper-Picture.jpg (33.74K)
Number of downloads: 0

#2560 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 09 April 2021 - 06:25 PM

Old friend of mine who has a PhD in continental philosophy (used to be really into Nietzsche and Bataille) and works in data science now says he won't get the vaccine... because he's afraid of needles.

Share this topic:

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users