Malazan Empire: COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV) - Malazan Empire

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV)

#2501 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 13 March 2021 - 04:04 PM

If the guy needs to get to work in a hurry, I'm presuming he's going downstairs.

Take the bloody stairs.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#2502 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 14 March 2021 - 05:33 AM

The sprog has been back at school for a week. I'm beginning to feel vaguely like a human again. Home schooling a 4 year old and working is not sustainable so everyone in the house kind of hates each other and is having a mental breakdown. My career is on life support and I can no longer remember what I used to do with free time.

We did teach the kid to write though! He could write his name when he finished school before Christmas and he can write sentences now he's back. So I'm calling a win.

The pandemic needs to take a hike though. Now my brain is back on at work we are being asked to look at regulating covid antigen self-tests. So that's going to be fun and totally easy.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#2503 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 15 March 2021 - 01:33 PM

Man, it feels good that we're going to have a March Madness this year. I'm so very chuffed. You guys going to fill out your bracket? Who ya got in your final 4?

#2504 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 16 March 2021 - 08:54 AM

School fifteen minutes from where I grew up had to isolate its entire year 10 population of about 250 kids.

My cousin's son nearer to Cheltenham has had to do the same along with his entire group.

Meanwhile, it seems the Tories are using covid as a convenient excuse to strip away the right to public protest, which was entirely foreseeable and is a 'we told you they'd do this moment'. I seem to recall seeing that Hancock has given a £90m government contract to a PPE firm who are based out of a Chinese hotel room as well.

Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#2505 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 17 March 2021 - 03:46 PM

Do people outside America recognize Saint Patrick's Day? Much like Cinco de Mayo isn't really all that big of deal in Mexico, but a reason to drink and party in America, I think Saint Patrick's Day is the same. America is waaaaaay into it, whereas outside of America it's like meh, just another Wednesday.

Putting this here because the PR push is on to get the message drilled into folks that they shouldn't gather for Saint Patrick's Day celebrations. They should know by now it doesn't matter. Look at all the spring breakers sucking on beer bongs and sharing them with their fraternity/sorority bruhs in Florida.

#2506 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 17 March 2021 - 03:49 PM

Update on asshole SA guy in our condo who caused a ruckus last week about the social distancing in the elevator. The Elevator arrived on his floor again while we are all in it, this time I faced him and stood in front of my wife and kids and stared at him. He turned away and let the elevator go without saying anything or forcing his way on again.

Methinks he either learned the confrontation was not worth it, or felt bad.

Either way, minor win.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#2507 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 17 March 2021 - 05:07 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 17 March 2021 - 03:46 PM, said:

Do people outside America recognize Saint Patrick's Day? Much like Cinco de Mayo isn't really all that big of deal in Mexico, but a reason to drink and party in America, I think Saint Patrick's Day is the same. America is waaaaaay into it, whereas outside of America it's like meh, just another Wednesday.

Putting this here because the PR push is on to get the message drilled into folks that they shouldn't gather for Saint Patrick's Day celebrations. They should know by now it doesn't matter. Look at all the spring breakers sucking on beer bongs and sharing them with their fraternity/sorority bruhs in Florida.

Nobody cares about Irish people!

Danish businesses do love an excuse for sales or rampant consumerism though. We absorb what ever kind of holiday that involves lots of people buying stuff in the name of celebration. So you will find bars that have nothing to do with Ireland, celebrating Saint Patrick's Day selling Guinness and Irish whiskey. Same thing with Black Friday, Valentine's Day, Halloween, etc.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 17 March 2021 - 05:09 PM

#2508 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 17 March 2021 - 06:19 PM

We have all that, but dialed up to an absurd degree. Like green food coloring is probably in low stock on grocery shelves. Because we make everything green.

#2509 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 17 March 2021 - 06:22 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 17 March 2021 - 03:49 PM, said:

Update on asshole SA guy in our condo who caused a ruckus last week about the social distancing in the elevator. The Elevator arrived on his floor again while we are all in it, this time I faced him and stood in front of my wife and kids and stared at him. He turned away and let the elevator go without saying anything or forcing his way on again.

Methinks he either learned the confrontation was not worth it, or felt bad.

Either way, minor win.

Ayyyooooo
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#2510 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 17 March 2021 - 06:38 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 17 March 2021 - 06:19 PM, said:

We have all that, but dialed up to an absurd degree. Like green food coloring is probably in low stock on grocery shelves. Because we make everything green.

'might be surprised to learn that historically Saint Patrick blue was the color most closely associated with this Irish saint not green.

[...] For hundreds of years it was Saint Patrick blue, not green. [Also, leprechauns traditionally wear red.]

A green shamrock was a symbol that St. Patrick had used to explain the Holy Trinity to the pre-Christian Irish and 'the wearing of the green' meant to wear a shamrock to display your faith.

It is widely believed that beginning in the mid-1700's people mistook the phrase to mean wearing green garments'

https://www.sensatio...t-patrick-blue/

'may be surprised to learn that all the pubs in Ireland used to be closed on St. Patrick's Day[...]

In Ireland, the typical St. Patrick's Day celebration before the '70s and the lifting of the ban on the sale of alcohol were very different from the party atmosphere associated with the day now. As St. Patrick's Day falls in the Christian season of Lent, a mass was attended in the morning with the afternoon set aside for celebrations. (If St Patrick's Day fell on a Friday, the Lenten prohibition against meat was lifted for the day.) Families sang and danced and celebrated, which represented a break during the normally somber time of Lent.'

https://www.irishcen...st-patricks-day

Given the pandemic, it might be better to celebrate by abstaining from alcohol today.

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 17 March 2021 - 06:39 PM

#2511 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

Posted 17 March 2021 - 09:10 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 17 March 2021 - 03:46 PM, said:

I hear it's quite popular in Ireland...

#2512 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

Posted 17 March 2021 - 09:13 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 30 December 2020 - 08:19 PM, said:

I can see some vaccine nationalism coming in with people who have had a specific vaccine being allowed to travel into certain countries.

Called it

https://www.theguard...se-made-vaccine

China to only allow foreign visitors who have Chinese vaccine.

This post has been edited by Mezla PigDog: 17 March 2021 - 09:14 PM

#2513 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 19 March 2021 - 08:29 PM

I mean, Rand Paul going at Dr. Fauci about masks. Removing Covid-19 from the debate, if we adopted wearing masks as the new norm that would go a long way in just mitigating any air born infections. Who knows what is churning out there right now, waiting to jump to the next pangolin or bat, that will be the next thing.

#2514 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 20 March 2021 - 03:08 AM

I'm going to be wearing a mask every flu season in public for the rest of my life I think.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#2515 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

Posted 20 March 2021 - 08:34 AM

View Postamphibian, on 20 March 2021 - 03:08 AM, said:

I'm going to be wearing a mask every flu season in public for the rest of my life I think.

Make sure you get a flu vaccine every year in that case to keep your body accustomed to the prevalent circulating strain. If your body becomes too naive to flu and you do get it, it will knock you down hard as it will feel more like a "new" virus due to how much it has changed since the last time you were exposed.

#2516 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 20 March 2021 - 10:11 AM

The other thing that will help in office based jobs is people working from home when they've got a cold etc. Which might reduce the general circulation.
Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#2517 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 20 March 2021 - 11:15 AM

Wifey and Ma got their second jab of Astra Zenica yesterday, Dad's due in for his first soon.
I've had my first and even in the back of my head it makes me feel ....safer?

#2518 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 20 March 2021 - 06:47 PM

By mid-April, all adults in my state can get the vaccine. I'm going to schedule a poke and then treat myself to a poke bowl <<<< see what I did there?

#2519 User is offline   WithdrawalRoutine 

• Recruit

Posted 20 March 2021 - 07:16 PM

South Africa is screwing up the vaccine rollout and not meeting any targets. At the same time we are at stage 1 and so many people are not wearing masks I’m afraid of a third wave 😫. R

#2520 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

Posted 20 March 2021 - 09:08 PM

I'm cheesed off today. Have been aiming for a "live and let live" attitude to rule breakers during the pandemic. You never know what people are dealing with. But then a really good friend got tagged in a FB post today on holiday in Mexico!! She didn't mention she was going even though we were WhatsApping loads yesterday. And I know there will be no way she is planning on isolating for 10 days when she gets back. Her life logistics won't allow it. Her sister has a business that is essentially being a C-list Instagram type so she's flashing it all over social media. There will be some faux business travel reason for it but my friend freely admits her sister is full of shit - doesn't wear a mask due to asthma that never bothers her etc. I'm so mad at her! I'm not going to say anything negative, she's had a tough lockdown since her husband is essentially from the 1950s school of relationships but.... Oh My God. Mexico, on a beach, with cocktails and her sister waffling on about how she needs a beach in her life for her mental health!! Tell that to people who work in the NHS you vacuous bint.

Oh and if I don't mention that I saw the post she will know I'm not mentioning it in purpose because I don't agree with the trip. I'll be damned if I say anything nice about it. I hope she doesn't get in touch for a while so I can chill out about it. Grrrr.

This post has been edited by Mezla PigDog: 20 March 2021 - 09:12 PM

Share this topic:

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users