Malazan Empire: COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV) - Malazan Empire

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV)

#2521 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 20 March 2021 - 10:29 PM

I need the pub with live music for my mental health.

Do I have it?
No
Fuck her

#2522 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 20 March 2021 - 10:38 PM

She didn't tell you because it's a shameful and selfish thing to do. Beyond the risks of bringing something home, she's also risking the people there by possibly bringing something there.

You can be clear that you like the person and dislike what they've done. We do that all the time.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#2523 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 21 March 2021 - 10:16 AM

The fiancee of my partner's best friend has been quite similar in attitude (I don't think she's actually jetted off anywhere, mind). Has spent the entire pandemic telling everybody how the rules shouldn't apply to her because she's a teacher and having the attitude that she's more important because "I'm a people person". Another vacuous bint. Meanwhile, partner (like many people) has seen his family twice throughout the entire thing.

Totally empathise, Mez. It's been all I can do not to blow my stack every time the silly cow starts up.

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 21 March 2021 - 10:17 AM

- Wyrd biđ ful aræd -

#2524 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 21 March 2021 - 02:58 PM

Pfizer first vaccine done.

I know that even the first dose will provide some protection but it wont kick in straight away. Even so it feels very liberating to have had it. I walked back
From the vaccination center and now instead of just walking past things I was actually thinking ‘I can check this out in a few weeks’. I’m kinda surprised more people don’t immediately throw parties and get sick.

It feels very psychologically significant. Now need to get used to going out again

This post has been edited by Cause: 21 March 2021 - 02:58 PM

#2525 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 22 March 2021 - 10:25 AM

Hmmmm.

I'm of the opposite feeling. Kind of

Yes I feel safer having it, the prospect of debilitating side effects from covid terrified me more than dying to be honest.

But I'm in no rush to get out and go places.

As far as I know I can still carry it and spread it around, we need vaccination numbers to be much higher before any kind of normality returns. People need to understand, the jab doesn't mean to do what the fuck you like (not saying you said that cause, this is a generic to the British public and the world) it means that when a massive percentage of the population has it, until then, suck it up and sit tight.

Can't wait for the first glorious actual pint of Guinness when the pubs reopen safely

#2526 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 22 March 2021 - 02:33 PM

I admit jealousy with people overseas and in the US getting doses of the vaccine, while Canada is dragging it's fucking feet and we are still only on the 75+ age group....there are times when my country shows its ass...this is one of them. The vaccine rollout has been horrendous.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 22 March 2021 - 02:33 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#2527 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 22 March 2021 - 02:56 PM

View PostMacros, on 22 March 2021 - 10:25 AM, said:

Yes I feel safer having it, the prospect of debilitating side effects from covid terrified me more than dying to be honest.

The vaccines are very effective against hospitalization and death, but it's not clear to me how effective they are at preventing the debilitating side effects of less severe infections... the lung damage even in some apparently asymptomatic people, or 'long covid' following a mild infection... even if it's close to their claimed efficacy rates, seems risky while covid's still pandemic.

'Some of the patients with lingering health effects had been hospitalized with COVID-19. However, others had only mild initial infections. [...]

"We [...] expected the measures of ongoing ill-health and abnormal findings to be related to severity of initial infection, which was not the case,"

[...] "I would say that that's the vast majority of the patients that I'm seeing. They did not require hospitalization, and they may have had very minimal symptoms," Navis said.

Navis has been treating patients at the clinic who have neurological symptoms such as brain fog, headaches, or unusual nerve sensations following COVID-19. Shortness of breath and fatigue are also common.'

https://www.healthli...ngering-effects

Same goes for my elderly parents. They don't need any more brain fog....

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 22 March 2021 - 02:57 PM

#2528 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 22 March 2021 - 03:04 PM

'COVID-19 lungs worse than smoker lungs, surgeon says

[...]

Symptomatic patients almost always had a subsequent chest X-ray that showed severe lung scarring, while asymptomatic patients had a worrisome X-ray 70 percent to 80 percent of the time, Dr. Bankhead-Kendall [said] based on anecdotal experience.

"There are still people who say 'I'm fine. I don't have any issues,' and you pull up their chest X-ray and they absolutely have a bad chest X-ray," she said. "You'll see either a lot of that white, dense scarring or you'll see it throughout the entire lung. Even when you're not feeling problems now the fact that that's on your chest X-ray — it sure is indicative of you possibly having problems later on."

[...] it's still too early to tell whether the severe lung scarring seen in some patients will heal.'

https://www.beckersh...urgeon-say.html

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 22 March 2021 - 03:05 PM

#2529 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 22 March 2021 - 05:31 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#2530 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 22 March 2021 - 07:57 PM

Awesome video, well presented and Hella interesting on the timing thing. Never really considered that point.

Also supports the, just cause you've had a vaccine don't mean shit, stay at home limit your exposure

#2531 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 25 March 2021 - 03:52 PM

Our cases were going down in Jan/Feb (we were down to under 1k daily cases for there province)...then Ford opened some of us back up...they started to rise with the new Variants taking hold and a 3rd wave predicted by the health officials...then Ford inexplicably loosened measures EVEN more 2 weeks ago...and today we are at 2380 cases, a jump of 780 daily cases in a single day.

I'm so tired guys...what do they call it when you're "lead" by a "leader" elected by the stupidest people?

#2532 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 25 March 2021 - 04:47 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 25 March 2021 - 03:52 PM, said:

Our cases were going down in Jan/Feb (we were down to under 1k daily cases for there province)...then Ford opened some of us back up...they started to rise with the new Variants taking hold and a 3rd wave predicted by the health officials...then Ford inexplicably loosened measures EVEN more 2 weeks ago...and today we are at 2380 cases, a jump of 780 daily cases in a single day.

I'm so tired guys...what do they call it when you're "lead" by a "leader" elected by the stupidest people?

The UK, usually.

All joking aside, sorry to hear other places are in the same boat.
- Wyrd biđ ful aræd -

#2533 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 25 March 2021 - 04:57 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 25 March 2021 - 03:52 PM, said:

Word on the street has it Ford's got business interests in making masks and the "stand 2m apart" signs...

If true, he's got no real interest in wrapping things up, *shrug*

I've been seeing a few more people outside as the weather's getting nicer. But I've spent most of my free time this month doing renos in my condo, so haven't really been outside much. Hopefully starting next week I'll be able to actually get some fresh air and get a better idea of what the situation's like in Sauga.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#2534 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 25 March 2021 - 05:30 PM

View PostMentalist, on 25 March 2021 - 04:57 PM, said:

Hopefully starting next week I'll be able to actually get some fresh air and get a better idea of what the situation's like in Sauga.

Your mayor is really not helping the situation by demanding that Mississauga be opened up while Brampton stay in lock a mere couple of weeks ago.

#2535 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 26 March 2021 - 12:02 AM

Awww yeah! my state has moved to green, the lowest Covid restrictions. USA! USA! USA! We rule, everyone else drools. But you guys already knew that.

#2536 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 26 March 2021 - 12:51 AM

View PostMalankazooie, on 26 March 2021 - 12:02 AM, said:

Awww yeah! my state has moved to green, the lowest Covid restrictions. USA! USA! USA! We rule, everyone else drools. But you guys already knew that.

'Covid Is Officially On The Rise Again In The U.S.

[...] with more cases added Wednesday than any day in over a month as declines in hospitalizations and deaths grind to a halt.

[...] the highest in a single day since Feb. 13, according to Johns Hopkins.

[...]

The rolling average had been on a steep decline since January, when it topped 250,000, but that decline slowed significantly in recent weeks and has now reversed to a rise once again[...]

U.S. hospitalizations actually rose from 38,565 Monday to 39,439 on Tuesday, which is [was?] the most recent date data is available.

The U.S. added 1,591 deaths on Wednesday, which was the most since March 13

[...] the U.S. could end up with "another avoidable surge" if precautions like mask wearing and social distancing are dropped.

[...] vaccination [...] race against time as much more contagious new variants start to dominate the United States.

[...] Despite the concerns about the new strains and warnings from health officials, several states have opted to drop longstanding Covid precautions'

https://www.forbes.c...gain-in-the-us/

Though (standard) masks have lost their effectiveness---against something else....

'Facial recognition beats the Covid-mask challenge

[...] a US Department of Homeland Security "controlled-scenario test" found one with a 96% success rate[...]

"Based on these results" [...] "organisations that need to perform photo ID checks could potentially allow individuals to keep their masks on, thereby reducing the risk of Covid-19 infection."

[...] some police forces are using facial recognition less [... but] it is still being used, even, reportedly, at Black Lives Matter protests last summer.

[...] on Monday, it was announced Disney World was to trial facial-recognition technology for a month.

[...] The idea is to cut waiting times, with Disney saying it wants a more "touchless experience".'

In Japan, NEC [...] announced one it said was 99.9% accurate.

[...] the company wants to sell it for security checks in office buildings and other facilities.

"Touchless verification has become extremely important due to the impact of the coronavirus," [...]

So once again, the pandemic, rather than hindering facial recognition, is being used as a reason to use it.

"Early on in the pandemic, we thought one of the very few silver linings could be the decline in facial-recognition technologies - but we've absolutely found that it's the opposite," [...]

"The pandemic has unfortunately provided cover for companies to push out to what are effectively mass-surveillance infrastructures, under the guise of public health."'

https://www.bbc.com/...nology-56517033

So be sure to triple mask with something better to beat the new strains (of facial recognition)....

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 26 March 2021 - 12:52 AM

#2537 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 30 March 2021 - 05:52 AM

'New Covid vaccines needed globally within a year, say scientists

Survey of experts in relevant fields concludes that new variants could arise in countries with low vaccine coverage

[...] The grim forecast of a year or less comes from two-thirds of respondents[...] Nearly one-third of the respondents indicated that the time-frame was likely nine months or less.

[...] respondents[...] work across illustrious institutions such as Johns Hopkins, Yale, Imperial College, London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine and the University of Edinburgh.

"New mutations arise every day. Sometimes they find a niche that makes them more fit than their predecessors. These lucky variants could transmit more efficiently and potentially evade immune responses to previous strains," [...]

"Unless we vaccinate the world, we leave the playing field open to more and more mutations, which could churn out variants that could evade our current vaccines and require booster shots to deal with them."

[...] "The urgency we see in rich nations to vaccinate their populations, aiming for all adults by the summer, is simply not reflected globally. Instead, we have Covax aiming for perhaps 27% by the end of the year if we possibly can manage it – that is simply not good enough,"'

https://www.theguard...DMQYDQIo1DkX2qI

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 30 March 2021 - 05:53 AM

#2538 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 30 March 2021 - 07:55 AM

Are we racing into a dystopian future now then where border walls go up and the poorer nations are quarantined completely?

Sorry, a MORE dystopian future

#2539 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 30 March 2021 - 08:20 AM

Nothing that sinister, the chip Bill Gates is injecting us with just needs a software update yearly.

#2540 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 01 April 2021 - 01:04 PM

CDC: Data Suggests Vaccinated Individuals Don't Carry Virus or Get Sick

Share this topic:

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users