Malazan Empire: COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV) - Malazan Empire

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV)

#801 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 28 March 2020 - 10:15 AM

He will be 4 in June. I feel ancient.

I hope this is the corona because apart from being zapped of energy and having a very annoying cough it's fine.

It's probably not and I'm just being a dick.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#802 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 28 March 2020 - 11:31 AM

View PostAptorian, on 28 March 2020 - 08:03 AM, said:

Shit Mezla, your child is already 3? Time flies on this forum.

Wait, Mezla already gave birth?
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#803 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 28 March 2020 - 11:53 AM

Wait, Mezla is a woman?

#804 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 28 March 2020 - 11:57 AM

Wait Mezla is a member of this forum?
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#805 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

Posted 28 March 2020 - 02:03 PM

I am and have always been one of Abyss' sock puppets. He uses this particular one as an outlet for his latent desire to be a lady.

#806 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 28 March 2020 - 03:59 PM

Was listening to an interview with a doctor who works as a pulmonologist at an ICU in Denver. When asked about Trump pushing to have things opened back up for Easter, you could tell he didn't want to wade in to politics, but he said the following:

This is going to tax every institution. Listen to informed people and responsible people in government. Be prepared to accept the social separation guidelines and buckle down for a long time. This is until further notice.

#807 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 28 March 2020 - 04:11 PM

Personally I'm having a hard time coming to grips with the future of this scenario.

I doubt Denmark reopens for business before May based on the statistics. On the other hand I cannot fathom that it could last longer than that. Nor that we would need to repeat it in the fall, next year or just when ever a flare up happens.

It's messing with that feeling of normalcy I've settled into as a person living in a rich, safe country that never had to face any real threats beyond the occasional storm or flood.

It's just weird. Really unsettling in that - "I don't know what the future has in store for us" kind of way.

#808 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 28 March 2020 - 04:49 PM

We actually had a conversation last night about what happens to the kids if we both get this, and don't survive it.

One moment it all looks like it's only a temporary situation, and it will be over by the end of summer and life will go on... and then I hear about the doctor who had to intubate his colleague; the amount of doctors who have died already, and how 20% of the infected people so far have been health workers.

We only have a handful of patients so far, and the supplies to keep things running (soda lime canisters now - they remove CO2 from the breathing systems) are low already, and this really hasn't kicked off yet. So the projected number... in the hundreds, if not thousands, would be coming to hospital, being put on a ward, and basically left to die if they can't breathe. I can't quite picture it as reality; but all this that's happening now was just as alien a couple of months back, so disbelief won't change anything.

At what point do you decide that your family is priority in a mess like this? I'm going to keep working and helping while that work is effective and a difference will be made, but honestly if it's just infected patients being given palliative care in vast numbers? What then?

And then I'm at home, it's the weekend, its sunny and the kids are playing or watching movies and it all seems like too much overthinking. But those numbers in other countries aren't just made up..

This post has been edited by Traveller: 28 March 2020 - 04:51 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#809 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 28 March 2020 - 04:53 PM

If you die I promise to donate some of my toilet paper to your family.

#810 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 28 March 2020 - 05:46 PM

View PostAptorian, on 28 March 2020 - 04:53 PM, said:

If you die I promise to donate some of my toilet paper to your family.

That's so sweet, I'll make sure they return it when they're done!
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#811 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 28 March 2020 - 06:14 PM

No, no, please. I couldn't possibly take back a gift freely given.

#812 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 28 March 2020 - 06:17 PM

Our great grandparetns survived WW1 and the spanish flu together, our grandparents made it through WW2. It is our blessing that this is the greatets challenge we have faced. I dont know how bad it will get, I dont know how many will die but it will end and we will survive. This is the new normal for a while, it will take time but we will adapt to the isoaltion. Goverments will slowly improve their response, people will slowly learn to take social distancing more seriously.

#813 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 28 March 2020 - 06:25 PM

Have you been drinking?

#814 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 28 March 2020 - 06:26 PM

View PostBeaver Killia, on 27 March 2020 - 09:54 PM, said:

Moved a long way from nothing but fear tactics and getting chuckles...

22 cases in parish. Thankfully still only the one death.

'Over a week ago, Louisiana's Life Tabernacle Church hosted hundreds of churchgoers despite an emergency order banning large-group gatherings to stem the spread of COVID-19. That was bad.

This past weekend was even worse: The church paid for 26 buses to transport 1,825 attendees from all over Baton Rouge to gather for a massive outdoor service — no social distancing whatsoever.

In fact, witnesses report that parishioners gathered together in close groupings, touching and embracing each other. Nine people were baptized in water. Covered meals were served. Very few people wore protective masks or gloves.

The church's leader, Pastor Tony Spell, doesn't see any problem with this. Of course, if anybody in his congregation gets sick, he'll simply heal them with the power of God.

"I'm going to address that by laying hands on them and praying for them and depending on God to heal their body… When the paramedics can't get there, when the law enforcement can't get there, the Holy Ghost can get there"'

https://friendlyathe...unday-services/

'[...] the leader of Life Tabernacle church who has defied a state-wide stay at home order and has held Sunday service amid growing coronavirus cases, appeared on Dr. Phil's TV show [...] Thursday.

[...] Spell said he plans to continue holding Sunday service, inviting up to a thousand people to join him at the church across the street from Blackwater Conservation Area on Hooper Road.

"It is in persecution of the faith for us to be asked to close our doors whenever more people are being contacted in those Targets and Walmarts than are in my service"'

https://www.wbrz.com...gain-at-8-p-m-/

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 28 March 2020 - 06:28 PM

#815 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

Posted 28 March 2020 - 06:40 PM

I have a minor panic every time I read about an otherwise young and healthy person dying. Then I remind myself of the statistics - for any one of us getting it, the stats say we will have a mild infection. At worst. It's a numbers game, some will be unlucky but we will all probably be fine. Any day of the week any of us could be in an accident or have something give up inside us. This is a new threat that we are still trying to assimilate so it is freaking us out but we are more or less as likely to die on any given day as we were this time last year.

The healthy people who succumb will have some kind of underlying genetic predisposition to this particular virus or an unknown condition. Everyone's immune system is unique so again the stats say that some will be unlucky. On the flip side others will be as good as immune - none of us are sitting around worrying that we will be that person.

I know it's a bit different for you, Traveller. You walk into the lions den every day but statistically speaking you are still going to be fine.

#816 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 28 March 2020 - 07:17 PM

View PostBeaver Killia, on 28 March 2020 - 06:59 PM, said:

And I couldn't stand it any longer...I had to cut the yard and do a whole bunch of clean up and it was dusty as fuck. Throat been tickling since I've been at it for about 5 days now but I ain't tripping cause I know that's regular for me at the start of the grass season.

I however just coughed up a wad of phlegm in a rather harder then expected multi cough.

Do I gots the corona?

One of the main symptoms is 'dry cough'---no wad of phlegm.

But obviously if there's blood you should be concerned....

#817 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 28 March 2020 - 08:15 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 28 March 2020 - 06:40 PM, said:

The healthy people who succumb will have some kind of underlying genetic predisposition to this particular virus or an unknown condition. Everyone's immune system is unique so again the stats say that some will be unlucky. On the flip side others will be as good as immune - none of us are sitting around worrying that we will be that person.

We can carry unknown conditions around for years without knowing it and considering ourselves perfectly healthy. I now know that I had the first warning signs of asthma a decade before it became pronounced enough to need regular medication. My brother's wife back then, a nurse, recognized it immediately and warned me, but 16-year-old me was like "nah" and forgot it, and my GP didn't recognize the signs until I needed an inhalator. All I'm saying is, I thought I was perfectly healthy for the whole time while I most likely would've already been at risk for something like this pandemic years ago. Some people who die of this young will have some awfully bad luck but some will have conditions they are unaware of yet. Also, apparently smoking also raises your risk (which isn't really surprising, tbh).
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#818 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 29 March 2020 - 12:22 AM

View PostPuck, on 28 March 2020 - 08:15 PM, said:

View PostMezla PigDog, on 28 March 2020 - 06:40 PM, said:

We can carry unknown conditions around for years without knowing it and considering ourselves perfectly healthy. I now know that I had the first warning signs of asthma a decade before it became pronounced enough to need regular medication. My brother's wife back then, a nurse, recognized it immediately and warned me, but 16-year-old me was like "nah" and forgot it, and my GP didn't recognize the signs until I needed an inhalator. All I'm saying is, I thought I was perfectly healthy for the whole time while I most likely would've already been at risk for something like this pandemic years ago. Some people who die of this young will have some awfully bad luck but some will have conditions they are unaware of yet. Also, apparently smoking also raises your risk (which isn't really surprising, tbh).

Unfortunately on my end i have a tendency of getting sick easily. (In feb id had already burned through my sick days because i caught a cold from someone else at the Dojo. (he was likely mostly over it but still contagious FML). So Should i get COVID, ill likely be hospitalised.

My mother also has a really terrible immune system. As im working from home (staying in isolation epcept to odd grocery run or errand) the risk of infection is nigh 0, but if she were to come down with COVID id be shocked if she didn't become another death statistic.

View PostQuickTidal, on 26 March 2020 - 02:11 AM, said:

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 25 March 2020 - 10:25 PM, said:

Ok they released the list hours after when they originally said next day. They clearly don't have their act together. Lack of organisation.

Disaster management is not an exact science. Its complex and contains a tonne of variables depending on the situation, one of which is appeasing the masses while still trying to get your ducks in a row. It’s not the way you seem to be seeing it. It doesn’t REMOTELY work that way son.

~Source: my brother in law, military, former cop, and lead on a team in...guess what...emergency/disaster management.
ill concede this one

@ Bolded part: Sorry that is just bullshit. In corporate talk we call that emotional management.

Do you think that corporate talk applies here? REALLY? Wanna tell me about synergy next?

It absoutely does, because many of the soft skills that apply to management apply to a variety of situations outside of work. How to have difficult conversations, how to negotiate, how to deal with difficult behaviors etc...

The tone at the top cascades down, and if you are unable to properly manage your emotions, it cascades to your team affecting performance.

Good news everyone...we are not HIS TEAM. We are a bunch of utterly disparate individuals with a thousand different fears, concerns, questions, and all of them are backed by some form of emotion. We are a voting public. His ACTUAL team...they are handling it just fine as he’s clearly delegated. He’s talking to the public, not underlings. A little emotion is not something to be scoffed at or scolded...this MFer is human. He’s not immune, or some CORPORATE robot.

we're not his team but the wider metaphor still applies, i prefer my leaders, calm cool and collected. If you can't manage your own emotions, what else aren't you managing?

Part of leadership involved distancing yourself from your own emotions and projecting calm and serenity, regardless of whether its a sunny day or the apocalypse is on your doorstep. By staying calm, you can make better more informed decisions as well as create the possibility that control can be asserted somehow. I believe Hemingway called courage "Grace under Pressure", ford has none.

And I think you’ll find that this is a special circumstance with a wholly brand new set of scary variables, so maybe you could cut the guy some slack when he does appear to be doing is best. He’s dropped all his former pretence of partisanship...anyone else in the conservative part doing that? No.

This is a special circumstance yet... but its not like humanity has never faced crises before. Churchill was remembered for his defiant attitude despite his control being literrally bombed day and night against a foe that seemed all but unstoppable at the time. Different circumstances yes, but not like Ford the first person in humanity to have ever had to govern in a time of crisis. I will commend him for some of his more recent actions however.

Thats why despite my own list of grievances with JT hes done substantially better.

Why am I not surprised you had a list of grievances against JT too. Good gods, I don’t want to tell you to go run this stuff yourself because of how trite that sounds... but you sound like someone who thinks they can Do so without remotely understanding the logistics. Which is why you have ...and I quote “ a LIST of grievances”

yes a list of grievances such as his waffling on reconciliation with the native population (Such as fighting them in court) and renneging on FPtP. though i figured that it my use of a metaphor was obvious. As for your latter half of the commnet, that just laughable. You don't need to be an olympic level fencer to analyse and critcise another olympic fencer. That literally saying the best basketball coaches are the best basketball players.

@red part: Im sorry have you watched soo much trump stuff that your bar for good leadership is a having working brain?

This is the bit where you chose to be an asshole, so I’m just going to say...don’t be an asshole.

Lastly... for those who are morbidly curious

https://resources-co...76398e1529e17b2

My brother works for a GIS company and this is one of the many interactive maps they've designed updated in real time where possible.

This post has been edited by LinearPhilosopher: 29 March 2020 - 12:40 AM

#819 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 29 March 2020 - 04:30 AM

The Vatican Old Guard are hoping the Pope will get it and die so they can say it was God's will because the Pope was too nice and then elect another Pope Sidious.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#820 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 29 March 2020 - 04:35 AM

View PostBeaver Killia, on 29 March 2020 - 04:25 AM, said:

I think I shall be very sad if anything happens to Pope Francis because of this. Not the least bit religious so I don't pay attention to the church and it's politics but I really like that guy. Plus I can't imagine the doom n gloom it could potentially unleash with the faithful if the Vicar of Christ goes down. Saw that 6 cases have been confirmed in Vatican.

He seems to be practicing social distancing:

Posted Image

[Edit: oh now I see there's a guy behind not wearing a mask, ut oh.]

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 29 March 2020 - 04:37 AM

Share this topic:

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users