Malazan Empire: COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV) - Malazan Empire

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV)

#3181 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 27 December 2021 - 06:49 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 25 December 2021 - 08:01 PM, said:

View PostD, on 21 December 2021 - 02:37 AM, said:

Heh, my mom ordered 20 of those rapid-tests and is going to force everyone to do one outside on the front steps when they arrive on Christmas eve before they can come inside. I don't know why she's not telling them about this ahead of time but it should be fun to watch her ambush them. I also don't think she has any actual plan for what to do if anyone actually tests positive...

Very keen to hear how this went.

Three different times families/carpools showed up at the door with arms full of presents, food and luggage and it's not like mom was sitting by the door all night so they just came straight in, started taking off their coats, etc, and then mom goes barreling towards them like "wait no get back outside" and they're like "what?! why?!" while the little kids are also racing forwards to hug her and you can just see the visceral conflict of emotions in her where she wants to hug the little ones but also wants to kick them out. The third time it happened she was practically crying in frustration, which of course then gets the whole gang that just come in to quickly drop everything and try to group hug her while asking what's wrong.

Honestly there wasn't any BIG DRAMA about it. No Nazi accusations, but there was plenty of... uh, let's say exasperation with it. Several people were very "Ugh, really? Fiiiiiiine" about it but no one outright refused. One uncle was seemed adamant at first that no one else (mom included) watch him do the test but then later relented on that - I *may* have jokingly speculated out loud that he at first thought you had to pee on the test and this became a running joke for the rest of the weekend at his expense, eventually mutating into joking that he was pregnant. I'm not sorry ^_^

One cousin did get caught at the door by mom before coming inside and ended up dropping a couple presents into the snow in all the juggling things around (they may have been trying to pull their phone out to show mom PDFs of their vaccination proof... if they were, not sure if that was a misunderstanding or else they were trying to show those as a way to get out of doing a rapitest), so those presents being infected with Covid became another running joke (why does presents falling on snow mean they have Covid? I don't know, guess it made drunken sense at the time).

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#3182 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 27 December 2021 - 08:00 PM

I was expecting something like The Thing, where you end up having to tie the family members to a chair. You test them one by one and then suddenly one of them transforms into a disgusting coronavirus monster when the swab touches their nose.

#3183 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 27 December 2021 - 11:15 PM

View PostAptorian, on 27 December 2021 - 08:00 PM, said:

I was expecting something like The Thing, where you end up having to tie the family members to a chair. You test them one by one and then suddenly one of them transforms into a disgusting coronavirus monster when the swab touches their nose.

I wish!

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#3184 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 29 December 2021 - 11:24 AM

Aww, I was hoping someone would be positive and then everyone would have to figure out what to do.

My aunt had to cancel a family gathering at her house on Tuesday. It was a shame as we had driven up to Manchester especially but the people they spent Christmas Day with all started getting positive LFTs. I dropped some chocolates round to my aunt and stayed on the doorstep as she had just had a positive LFT too - she was trying to convince herself it wasn't as she only saw the line with a magnifying glass 🤣 Don't look at an LFT with a magnifying glass unless you really want to see a line!
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#3185 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 04 January 2022 - 04:41 PM

'Deputy DA Who Fought Vaccine Mandate Dies Abruptly After Falling Ill With COVID at Age 46

[...] and up-and-coming Republican political star [...] died abruptly after telling friends she contracted COVID-19.

Kelly Ernby, a presumed candidate for the state Assembly in 2022[...] fell ill shortly after speaking out against vaccine mandates at a rally organized by Turning Point USA on Dec. 4.

“There’s nothing that matters more than our freedoms right now,” she was quoted telling the crowd during the rally [...]

“My heart is broken and I'm in tears. I lost a dear friend to Covid complications. I love you @KellyErnby ! You’ve been nothing but an inspiration to many of us here [...]” [...], chairman of the Greater Costa Mesa Republicans, wrote on Twitter[...]

The Orange County Republicans, for whom Ernby had served as the precinct operations chair, said news of her death had caused “great sadness.”

The group noted only that Ernby had died unexpectedly after a “brief illness,” saying “we have hope in this tragedy because we know she had a deep faith.”'

https://www.thedaily...age-46?ref=home

Two groups of Republicans there:

Group 1: don't want more people (or at least more Republicans) to die, so they acknowledge Covid is killing people;

Group 2: apparently so devoted to downplaying the pandemic they either dgaf if more of them keep dying or are too deep into the conspiracy theory mindset to be convinced by evidence.

Morning I visited my elderly relatives for Christmas, I read an interview with a South African doctor who claimed that asymptomatic cases of omicron are so rare they hadn't seen any and that people shouldn't bother doing tests unless they have symptoms. Then later that evening I read about a study from India which found iirc about 70% of omicron cases were asymptomatic. (Perhaps it depends on what's counted as a 'symptom' caused specifically by omicron?)

Over a million new cases in the US today. If mild cases of omicron cause long covid in large enough numbers... that will not be good.

Some experts in the US are recommending people get their third booster earlier---claim is that a booster three months after the second shot shouldn't do any harm, and will boost antibody levels. But getting it earlier may be less effective in the long-term. I had my booster a little over three months ago (four months after my second shot), so I'm trying to decide whether to get my fourth shot earlier than I'd planned. But Israel is planning to wait four months from the third shot before administering the fourth (in Israel the minimum wait time for the third shot is three months from the second shot), and some experts are concerned that getting a fourth shot too soon could backfire and render the immune response less effective. OTOH I can just live like I'm in (more extreme) lock down for a month and hope the wave passes as quickly as predicted... instead of plateauing at an elevated level like delta did. The decline in antibody levels accelerates after four months, so maybe I should just wait until about the four month mark....

#3186 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 04 January 2022 - 05:09 PM

'Israeli study finds fourth COVID-19 vaccine dose boosts antibodies five-fold'

https://www.reuters....-pm-2022-01-04/

Only quantity of antibodies, not quality, but still seems to indicate that it probably doesn't backfire in the sense of harming production of antibodies relative to not getting a fourth dose.

#3187 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 04 January 2022 - 05:25 PM

Had my booster shot on the 30th, fuck me but it made me ill.

Pfizer booster and my jabs were Pfizer too. Never had an issue off the 2 jabs but the booster, ugh. Headache, massive body ache, felt sick, COVID arm red swollen and itchy, fever. Joy!

Least it only lasted a couple of days though I still have COVID arm.

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#3188 User is offline   James Hutton 

• High Scholar of Team Quick Ben

Posted 04 January 2022 - 06:01 PM

View Postchamp, on 04 January 2022 - 05:25 PM, said:

Pfizer booster and my jabs were Pfizer too. Never had an issue off the 2 jabs but the booster, ugh. Headache, massive body ache, felt sick, COVID arm red swollen and itchy, fever. Joy!

I'm hearing this from other people as well. I'm getting my booster on Saturday, and I'm curious how it'll affect me. Like you, I felt barely anything from my first 2 Pfizer shots.
Secret message: "Keep up the good work, yours truly"

#3189 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB

Posted 04 January 2022 - 06:16 PM

I was fine on all three of my Pfizers. Sore arm, slightly fuzzy at worst but fine overall.
Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#3190 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 04 January 2022 - 06:20 PM

Mine went the other way - the second shot of pfizer really messed me up, booster was pretty much a non-issue.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#3191 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 04 January 2022 - 07:17 PM

Purely random I think, couple mates had no issues and a couple were ill. Wonder what decides it.

Bless though one of my friends... if she gets a cold she's dying from it, always hits her hard nevermind covid, well she got covid and spent 12 weeks getting over it, she had it really bad. Got better in time for Christmas but she then had the booster during the Christmas break... it put her back in bed for 4 days ha, she was raging lol.

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#3192 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 04 January 2022 - 07:39 PM

I'm finding it decidedly unpalatable that Western nations are now talking about 4th jabs. In younger people it's a knee jerk reaction to data about waning circulating antibody levels. But you rarely maintain circulating antibodies against a pathogen for long. The T cell response becomes the key to longer term immunity. This is much harder to measure. Booster shots are a political carpet bombing solution to national waves of infection. Politicians and scientists don't know who does or doesn't have decent immunity of what type or why (other than age, immunocompromised and pregnant women because it's long proven those cohorts have weaker immune systems in general) so they are getting shots into arms to look like they are doing something and keeping their fingers crossed that it allows economies back to business as usual sooner. All the while we risk new crazy variants coming out of the vast unvaccinated populations of the world. We're all lapping it up because we like to look and feel like we are doing our bit and get to feel virtuous about "believing in science".

It's a massive experiment. Name vaccine for a single pathogen where people have had so many doses in so short a time.

I don't have enough data to say either way whether it is right or wrong for individuals and I don't think anyone else has the data either. I do wish people would stop talking about boosters with such certainty though. I think people are speaking in more concrete terms about it because they don't want to add more fuel to the anti-vax bonfire and scientific logic dictates that extra doses of a safe vaccine at least does no harm. But mainly politicians want to look like they are doing something and individuals are lapping it up because we're desperate for normality and want to do the right thing.

I definitely think boosters should be aimed at the elderly only (over 50s or over 60s) until we have more data on broader cost : benefit analysis of some nations having 3 or 4 doses per citizen and many others having none. As a scientist with some knowledge of immunity and a lot of knowledge about infectious disease I'm 100% convinced the doses should be going to the unvaccinated first. We're kicking the can down the road and increasing the risk of a variant that takes us back to square one .... well maybe not square one but if we're on pandemic square 100 today then at least square 25. I fully believe via all of my scientific knowledge and intuition that when the dust settles and the data is analysed retrospectively after the end of the pandemic they will determine that extra shots weren't significantly beneficial in a global context.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#3193 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 04 January 2022 - 07:51 PM

View PostJames Hutton, on 04 January 2022 - 06:01 PM, said:

I'm hearing this from other people as well. I'm getting my booster on Saturday, and I'm curious how it'll affect me. Like you, I felt barely anything from my first 2 Pfizer shots.

Had mine on the 22nd, about 12 hours later and for about 4-6hrs beyond that had some chills and mild fatigue, but nothing extreme and by dinner I was fine. The other two shots knocked me out way more.

And I've had all three, AZ, then Moderna, and now Pfizer.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#3194 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 04 January 2022 - 11:22 PM

View PostJames Hutton, on 04 January 2022 - 06:01 PM, said:

My Mum had her 3rd Pfizer just before Xmas. No side effects for first 2 but VERY sore arm for a few days after 3rd. Could barely raise it apparently.
But she's 78 and has a lot of rheumatoid stuff going on so make of that what you will.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#3195 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 05 January 2022 - 12:57 AM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 04 January 2022 - 07:39 PM, said:

I'm finding it decidedly unpalatable that Western nations are now talking about 4th jabs. In younger people it's a knee jerk reaction to data about waning circulating antibody levels. But you rarely maintain circulating antibodies against a pathogen for long. The T cell response becomes the key to longer term immunity. This is much harder to measure. Booster shots are a political carpet bombing solution to national waves of infection. Politicians and scientists don't know who does or doesn't have decent immunity of what type or why (other than age, immunocompromised and pregnant women because it's long proven those cohorts have weaker immune systems in general) so they are getting shots into arms to look like they are doing something and keeping their fingers crossed that it allows economies back to business as usual sooner. All the while we risk new crazy variants coming out of the vast unvaccinated populations of the world. We're all lapping it up because we like to look and feel like we are doing our bit and get to feel virtuous about "believing in science".

It's a massive experiment. Name vaccine for a single pathogen where people have had so many doses in so short a time.

I don't have enough data to say either way whether it is right or wrong for individuals and I don't think anyone else has the data either. I do wish people would stop talking about boosters with such certainty though. I think people are speaking in more concrete terms about it because they don't want to add more fuel to the anti-vax bonfire and scientific logic dictates that extra doses of a safe vaccine at least does no harm. But mainly politicians want to look like they are doing something and individuals are lapping it up because we're desperate for normality and want to do the right thing.

I definitely think boosters should be aimed at the elderly only (over 50s or over 60s) until we have more data on broader cost : benefit analysis of some nations having 3 or 4 doses per citizen and many others having none. As a scientist with some knowledge of immunity and a lot of knowledge about infectious disease I'm 100% convinced the doses should be going to the unvaccinated first. We're kicking the can down the road and increasing the risk of a variant that takes us back to square one .... well maybe not square one but if we're on pandemic square 100 today then at least square 25. I fully believe via all of my scientific knowledge and intuition that when the dust settles and the data is analysed retrospectively after the end of the pandemic they will determine that extra shots weren't significantly beneficial in a global context.

The mRNA vaccines won't help areas that don't have the infrastructure to store them (unless that's also provided... which could take too long). The US still has a large surplus of mRNA vaccines that will expire if not administered. Or perhaps allowing fourth shots will lead to increased mRNA vaccine production that will cause a shortage of raw materials (beyond facilities and funding) needed for other vaccines? Is it necessarily an exclusive or?

Seems like there's a good chance a fourth dose will turn out to have a relatively small effect on severe illness and death but a much larger effect on cases and in particular long Covid cases. Brain fog and fatigue to the point of disability for a prolonged period---perhaps lasting indefinitely---is not a negligible problem....

A negative likely consequence of the universal coronavirus vaccine (if it continues to appear safe and effective in human trials)---if it renders the risk from new variants negligible and becomes widely available before poorer nations have been vaccinated... rich nations will have much less incentive to fund world vaccination. With the partial exception of China, for those areas they're investing in. But it doesn't require cold storage (at least the US Army vaccine doesn't) and is apparently fully owned by the US government, so the Biden administration could unilaterally authorize worldwide production and transfer of knowledge (... or they could try to keep it secret and use it as geopolitical leverage, or only share it conditionally, etc.).

'We can vaccinate 70% of the world against Covid by mid-2022. Here's how

[...] it will take proper funding, better vaccine distribution and jabs with longer shelf lives

The vaccines being distributed to African countries under the Covax scheme are often close to expiry and their delivery is ad-hoc at best. In Nigeria[...] they just had to destroy more than a million vaccines that were close to expiring.

[...] "There are enormous challenges in getting medicines to the last mile. We know this from years of working with NTDs. It is very hard to reach people who are most affected since they are vulnerable, often marginalised, and live in remote locations with poor roads and infrastructure."

[...] The break in the rollout affected communication efforts and this gap created the space for misinformation and rumours to thrive.

[...] with funding made available, each country can tailor their efforts to combat those circumstances and make sure the vaccines can reach the last mile.

In Kenya[...] they need the resources to undertake door-to-door vaccination campaigns as they do for childhood immunisation.

Where there exists a well-functioning delivery system, nations have high vaccine delivery rates. Kenya, for example, has an estimated 80% coverage for childhood vaccines. In Ghana, it's above 90%. The goal set out by the WHO may not be as unreachable as it appears.'

https://www.theguard...vid-by-mid-2022

'As the U.S., Europe and parts of Asia consume more booster doses than expected, global health advocates hope the emerging vaccine produced by Maryland-based Novavax will fill the supply gap in low- and middle-income countries in 2022.

But while Novavax — after partnering with India's Serum Institute — obtained regulatory approvals from the World Health Organization and European Commission this month, crucial questions remain [...]

Without sign-offs from world regulators to produce vaccines at its U.S. and European sites, Novavax could struggle to meet its 2022 targets, setting back the global vaccination effort[...]

If that happens, and countries across the world continue to roll out booster campaigns, U.S. officials fear the world might not have enough vaccine doses to meet the WHO’s goal of inoculating 70 percent of the global population by the middle of next year. [...]

Novavax has experienced monthslong delays stemming from difficulties manufacturing a high-quality shot in large batches. [...]

[...] The shot, which does not require freezer storage, is much easier to ship to Africa[...]

Novavax's decision to apply for authorization using data only from the Serum Institute raises questions about the extent to which the company is still experiencing manufacturing problems in the U.S. and Europe. [...] the company was failing to produce data that showed it could manufacture a shot with high purity levels in large batches. One of the main facilities that struggled is in Texas.

[...] A company spokesperson said its goal is to produce 2 billion doses in 2022. But there are lingering concerns among top Biden officials and global health advocates about Novavax's manufacturing facilities in the U.S. and Europe and whether the company can present the data necessary to obtain the regulatory approvals necessary to distribute doses made at those locations any time soon'

https://www.politico...-omicron-526283

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 05 January 2022 - 02:12 AM

#3196 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 05 January 2022 - 08:06 AM

Read an article the other day (forget where, could be bunkem) that reckoned AZ was producing better long term immunity/reduction in symptoms and hospitalisation, something something T something, along the lines of what Mez was saying about antibodies not being a good metric,

#3197 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 05 January 2022 - 03:19 PM

Outbreak at my work, and I had close contact yesterday with one of them that tested positive. And since our stupid govt has made getting a PCR test not a thing we can do anymore (you're only allowed on now if you are at risk/immunocomprised), I can only rapid test when I get home...and my work is following the 5 days isolation guidelines so sick people are absolutely going to come back to work contagious and get others sick.

So yeah, I'm at work, been in close contact with a case yesterday and my manager is like "just monitor your symptoms"....

What an utter shitshow.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#3198 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 05 January 2022 - 08:14 PM

Man, you think that's bad, wifey works in the HOSPITAL. There's people with PCR test positive spouses/children being told to come to work until they themselves get a positive lateral flow. Northern Ireland has to be in the running for highest % postives in the world right now, I think (somehow) our household is the only one I know that doesn't have a case

#3199 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 05 January 2022 - 08:16 PM

View PostMacros, on 05 January 2022 - 08:14 PM, said:

Man, you think that's bad, wifey works in the HOSPITAL. There's people with PCR test positive spouses/children being told to come to work until they themselves get a positive lateral flow. Northern Ireland has to be in the running for highest % postives in the world right now, I think (somehow) our household is the only one I know that doesn't have a case

Brutal. Here's hoping she stays safe. I can't imagine how stressed that must make her.

#3200 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 05 January 2022 - 09:09 PM

View PostMacros, on 05 January 2022 - 08:14 PM, said:

I think IOM has one of the highest cases per capita or something right now. I mean there's only just over 2800 positive cases across the Island and 10 people in hospital but the population is only about 80000 or so.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

Share this topic:

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic