Malazan Empire: COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV) - Malazan Empire

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV)

#3141 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 14 December 2021 - 01:09 PM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 14 December 2021 - 09:34 AM, said:

View PostMaark Abbott, on 14 December 2021 - 08:54 AM, said:

Definitely fatigue here. The amount of people not bothering with a simple mask despite it being 'mandatory' is pretty damn high, but shop staff are apparently not allowed to challenge on it. So any mandate for masking up again is rendered pointless because so many are going to just fuck it off that it doesn't do anything.

I wouldn't want to be challenging people about it if I was a member of shop or transport staff. Too high a likelihood of just dealing with abuse all day.

This was always the problem with any sort of mask mandate. No enforceability of it. People who want to refuse will as you say get lairy about it, shop staff don't want to be putting themselves in further danger, and as a country we've had ten+ years of being told "we don't need experts". A sad mix, but there it is.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#3142 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 14 December 2021 - 02:15 PM

Doesn't help either though that shop floor staff and bus/tram drivers and conductors often don't adhere to it either.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#3143 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 14 December 2021 - 03:46 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 14 December 2021 - 01:09 PM, said:

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 14 December 2021 - 09:34 AM, said:

View PostMaark Abbott, on 14 December 2021 - 08:54 AM, said:

Definitely fatigue here. The amount of people not bothering with a simple mask despite it being 'mandatory' is pretty damn high, but shop staff are apparently not allowed to challenge on it. So any mandate for masking up again is rendered pointless because so many are going to just fuck it off that it doesn't do anything.

I wouldn't want to be challenging people about it if I was a member of shop or transport staff. Too high a likelihood of just dealing with abuse all day.

This was always the problem with any sort of mask mandate. No enforceability of it. People who want to refuse will as you say get lairy about it, shop staff don't want to be putting themselves in further danger, and as a country we've had ten+ years of being told "we don't need experts". A sad mix, but there it is.

... and you don't even have widespread gun ownership. Though acid in the face isn't nice either... and neither is being chased around by someone with a knife who might also be contagious.

Of course several shop workers have been shot to death for trying to enforce it in the US. Maybe they should be treated as martyrs... heroes, at least. But it would be better to have robots doing it. (Sturdy robots... though hopefully bullets wouldn't be ricocheting off into bystanders.)

#3144 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 14 December 2021 - 05:34 PM

Most infected per million.

DANMARK DANMARK DANMARK!

Attached File  RDT_20211214_1811496881556441870923257_copy_864x648.jpg (122.71K)
Number of downloads: 0

We're also testing A LOT.

#3145 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 14 December 2021 - 05:43 PM

As you rightly highlight, number of infections says very little as the amount of testing done varies per country. It is hospitalisations, deaths and R numbers that are relevant. If anything, it just shows that Denmark is very thorough in testing its population.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#3146 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 14 December 2021 - 06:04 PM

We're also putting the third booster shot on "warp speed". They want upwards of a hundred thousand vaccinations in a day before Christmas.

As I'm typing this I'm sitting in the waiting area after getting my third shot. The waiting line went all the way around the block.

Edit: I'm also considering upgrading to Windows 11.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 14 December 2021 - 06:06 PM

#3147 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 14 December 2021 - 07:56 PM

View PostAptorian, on 14 December 2021 - 06:04 PM, said:

We're also putting the third booster shot on "warp speed". They want upwards of a hundred thousand vaccinations in a day before Christmas.

As I'm typing this I'm sitting in the waiting area after getting my third shot. The waiting line went all the way around the block.

Edit: I'm also considering upgrading to Windows 11.

I'm hoping the omicron-specific booster will be ready by March for my second booster. (5 month interval seems safe enough.) Really don't want to get long covid. Plus then there's St. Patrick's Day... nah, even with the omicron-specific booster I think I'll skip that this year. Hoping for Halloween....

#3148 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 14 December 2021 - 11:38 PM

I'm not booking my booster until the New Year. I have a sciencey and ethical rationalisation at the ready but I think I'm doing it mainly out of spite so Boris misses his target.

I'll be sure to post salutations from the covid ward, assuming my oxygen saturation is high enough.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#3149 User is offline   Grief 

• Prophet of High House Mafia
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 15 December 2021 - 01:02 AM

I'm in the UK for the holidays, and I decided to drop by the local vaccination centre. There were maybe five other people there total. Nonetheless I couldn't get a booster.

I get they want to have a system and that means some level of bureaucracy, but sometimes I swear they don't treat it like the crisis it is.

Cougar said:

Grief, FFS will you do something with your sig, it's bloody awful

worry said:

Grief is right (until we abolish capitalism).

#3150 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 15 December 2021 - 08:36 AM

View PostGrief, on 15 December 2021 - 01:02 AM, said:

I'm in the UK for the holidays, and I decided to drop by the local vaccination centre. There were maybe five other people there total. Nonetheless I couldn't get a booster.

I get they want to have a system and that means some level of bureaucracy, but sometimes I swear they don't treat it like the crisis it is.

All according to keikaku.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#3151 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 16 December 2021 - 08:55 AM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 13 December 2021 - 02:39 PM, said:

I've got pandemic fatigue. Anyone else in the UK also just thinking "fuck it"? Fortunately my version of "fuck it" is probably still pretty covid safe because I have forgotten how to lead a sociable life and not going to the shops is more than fine by me. But, meh. I'm done with doing anything Boris tells me.

because of Covid, huh? :D
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#3152 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 16 December 2021 - 01:34 PM

So wife is triple vaxxed, I am double (they open up the boosters for my age soon, but I likely won't get in till early January) vaxxed, my daughter has a single dose, and my son being 3 can't get one yet.

My father-in-law and wife's godparents, and her brother and both this kids are ALL vaxxed, and all were originally coming to Christmas.

Were are all doing a home PCR test that we will drop off to the lab a day before the holiday gathering, just to be sure.

Everyone has agreed to do this. Everyone sensible that is.

Then there's my sister-in-law who is coming in from out of province. She's vaccinated (double), and so is her husband....but her three kids aren't and she's not getting them vaccinated (the husband doesn't want them to be), and her husband refuses to take a rapid test before coming to spend Christmas (calls it ridiculous; they live in a die hard conservative province where I think the conservative media has started to sink into their lives), and the threat is now that he "won't pay for them to come visit family again if we push this" (gotta love how the threat is "if you don't let us do this our way, we will deprive you of our company" knowing how much seeing her means to my wife). The selfishness abounds.

Couple this with the fact that anyone who got AZ and mRNA doses for first and second (that's me and my wife's brother) it SOUNDs like our efficacy is super low against Omicron according to reports out of the UK (I could be wrong, so please correct me if this is not the case). So my wife's brother and his two kids have bailed on Christmas as long as his out-of-province sister is coming and behaving like this....and I respect that and don't blame him at all. He's very much of our minds on this whole thing.

But yeah, now I have the quandary of whether I stay home with my unvaccinated son over Christmas...splitting up my immediate family on literal Christmas Day....something my wife doesn't want to happen...or I just go and expose us to them and their kids when none of them will have done tests.

It sucks that I'm once again between my wife's desire to see her sister (who means a lot to her, even if she feels the sister is being super-selfish and stupid) on the first Christmas without their mother...and possibly compromising mine and my son's safety, and I mean really even my daughter since she's only single-dosed Pfizer so far which it sounds like provides little protection against Omicron.

Oh, and to boot if this comes to a head the sister-in law will 'punish' my wife by going to spend all of their time here in the province with brother-in-law's sister who lives about 2.5 hours from us and not see her at all...

So yeah, selfish middle child fucks the whole thing over again due to not wanting to do the minimal thing we've asked of her....this is not the first time she's doe this.

She's not MY crazy sisters-levels of assholery....but it's not far off.

I hate this timeline.

UPDATE: Pharmacist friend is fitting me in for my booster on the 22nd now, so that's at least some good news.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 16 December 2021 - 03:06 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#3153 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 16 December 2021 - 02:02 PM

Why in the world do they refuse to do a test first? It's such a quick and easy procedure.

#3154 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 16 December 2021 - 02:15 PM

View PostMorgoth, on 16 December 2021 - 02:02 PM, said:

Why in the world do they refuse to do a test first? It's such a quick and easy procedure.

Indeed, and it's not even the full PCR test, it's the milder swab one...there is no reason not to do it other than stark obstinance.

They live in a Conservative province, so I can only say I think the media and info they drink in out there is sinking in and affecting them and turning them into covidiots....

But yeah, imagine not doing the one easy thing your whole extended family asks you to do so everyone feels better....on principle.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#3155 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 16 December 2021 - 04:44 PM

its a tough situation to be sure

but.....appeasement as a strategy has been fairly well proven not to work, so personally I say stick to your guns. The shoes go on both feet, caving to this pathetic strong manning attempt by him will just fuel the "see I'm right and will get it my way" mentallity.

#3156 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 16 December 2021 - 07:57 PM

View PostMacros, on 16 December 2021 - 04:44 PM, said:

its a tough situation to be sure

but.....appeasement as a strategy has been fairly well proven not to work, so personally I say stick to your guns. The shoes go on both feet, caving to this pathetic strong manning attempt by him will just fuel the "see I'm right and will get it my way" mentallity.

Our numbers are spiking now, and our science table has said that unless we introduce restrictions again we will be liking at 16k cases by next week....so that may do my work for me and she won't be able to come anyways.

At the very least my wife is scared by the numbers so I think she's on board suggesting they don't come now...but who knows.

If it doesn't I'll stand more firm about at least them all getting tested.

EDIT: Booster scheduled for this Tuesday now though through a pharmacist friend!

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 16 December 2021 - 08:17 PM

#3157 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 16 December 2021 - 10:54 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 16 December 2021 - 01:34 PM, said:

So wife is triple vaxxed, I am double (they open up the boosters for my age soon, but I likely won't get in till early January) vaxxed, my daughter has a single dose, and my son being 3 can't get one yet.

My father-in-law and wife's godparents, and her brother and both this kids are ALL vaxxed, and all were originally coming to Christmas.

Were are all doing a home PCR test that we will drop off to the lab a day before the holiday gathering, just to be sure.

Everyone has agreed to do this. Everyone sensible that is.

Then there's my sister-in-law who is coming in from out of province. She's vaccinated (double), and so is her husband....but her three kids aren't and she's not getting them vaccinated (the husband doesn't want them to be), and her husband refuses to take a rapid test before coming to spend Christmas (calls it ridiculous; they live in a die hard conservative province where I think the conservative media has started to sink into their lives), and the threat is now that he "won't pay for them to come visit family again if we push this" (gotta love how the threat is "if you don't let us do this our way, we will deprive you of our company" knowing how much seeing her means to my wife). The selfishness abounds.

Couple this with the fact that anyone who got AZ and mRNA doses for first and second (that's me and my wife's brother) it SOUNDs like our efficacy is super low against Omicron according to reports out of the UK (I could be wrong, so please correct me if this is not the case). So my wife's brother and his two kids have bailed on Christmas as long as his out-of-province sister is coming and behaving like this....and I respect that and don't blame him at all. He's very much of our minds on this whole thing.

But yeah, now I have the quandary of whether I stay home with my unvaccinated son over Christmas...splitting up my immediate family on literal Christmas Day....something my wife doesn't want to happen...or I just go and expose us to them and their kids when none of them will have done tests.

It sucks that I'm once again between my wife's desire to see her sister (who means a lot to her, even if she feels the sister is being super-selfish and stupid) on the first Christmas without their mother...and possibly compromising mine and my son's safety, and I mean really even my daughter since she's only single-dosed Pfizer so far which it sounds like provides little protection against Omicron.

Oh, and to boot if this comes to a head the sister-in law will 'punish' my wife by going to spend all of their time here in the province with brother-in-law's sister who lives about 2.5 hours from us and not see her at all...

So yeah, selfish middle child fucks the whole thing over again due to not wanting to do the minimal thing we've asked of her....this is not the first time she's doe this.

She's not MY crazy sisters-levels of assholery....but it's not far off.

I hate this timeline.

UPDATE: Pharmacist friend is fitting me in for my booster on the 22nd now, so that's at least some good news.

Your kids need their parents to make the shitty decisions for them and their safety. That's kinda at stake here and I would pick your kids over seeing the extended family every time, as well as my hypothetical non-existent kids too. You and I both know how rotten it is when a family all gets a regular cold.

I'm sorry. There's not much to be said beyond drawing your lines in the sand at them getting tested, which is super reasonable and easily obtained.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#3158 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 17 December 2021 - 01:36 AM

JFC QT, the situations your family members puts you in.

That really sucks man.

Unrelated note; got the booster today. Arm is slightly sore, but all good.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#3159 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 17 December 2021 - 02:02 AM

Thanks for the comments all. Really appreciate the support.

#3160 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 17 December 2021 - 07:29 AM

This is not on you QT. You have provided a quick and simple compromise to alleviate your worries. Entirely rational worries I might add. I am sure your wife sees that too.

Share this topic:

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users