Malazan Empire: COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV) - Malazan Empire

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV)

#3161 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 17 December 2021 - 01:51 PM

View PostMorgoth, on 17 December 2021 - 07:29 AM, said:

This is not on you QT. You have provided a quick and simple compromise to alleviate your worries. Entirely rational worries I might add. I am sure your wife sees that too.

Oh yes, I know my wife sees that we are not in the wrong and my aversion to all this is valid, it just wars in her head with her desire to see her sister...but at least I don't think she holds it against me.

Thanks again for the kind words.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#3162 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 17 December 2021 - 05:15 PM

View PostMorgoth, on 16 December 2021 - 02:02 PM, said:

... imagine not doing the one easy thing your whole extended family asks you to do so everyone feels better....on principle.

View PostMacros, on 16 December 2021 - 04:44 PM, said:

...stick to your guns. ...

View PostQuickTidal, on 16 December 2021 - 07:57 PM, said:

Our numbers are spiking now, and our science table has said that unless we introduce restrictions again we will be liking at 16k cases by next week....so that may do my work for me and she won't be able to come anyways....

View Postamphibian, on 16 December 2021 - 10:54 PM, said:

Your kids need their parents to make the shitty decisions for them and their safety. That's kinda at stake here and I would pick your kids over seeing the extended family every time, ... There's not much to be said beyond drawing your lines in the sand at them getting tested, which is super reasonable and easily obtained.

View PostMorgoth, on 17 December 2021 - 07:29 AM, said:

This is not on you QT. You have provided a quick and simple compromise to alleviate your worries. Entirely rational worries I might add. I am sure your wife sees that too.

This exchange is entirely too rational, logical, and positive. Who are all you whackjobs and what have you done to my forum?
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#3163 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 17 December 2021 - 05:16 PM

View PostSlow Ben, on 17 December 2021 - 01:36 AM, said:

... got the booster today. Arm is slightly sore, but all good.

Sorry, the nanoprocessors sometimes do that. It should stop in a day or two. Try not to bathe.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#3164 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 17 December 2021 - 10:39 PM

Booked J&J shot for 24th. It was a mission to get through the lines.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#3165 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 19 December 2021 - 10:42 PM

Brian May got the spicy cough, but is grateful he's had 2 x Pfizer + booster.

https://www.news.com...767b48b2bcc57f0
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#3166 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 20 December 2021 - 01:33 AM

Studies from Denmark and the UK suggest omicron hospitalization rate isn't any lower---still too few cases to tell definitively but I guess the weight of the evidence is leaning towards 'not substantially milder'? I'd be happy to be wrong... guess SA can be explained by 80% of the population having previously had Covid-19 plus most cases being in young people or recent travelers.

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 20 December 2021 - 01:33 AM

#3167 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 20 December 2021 - 08:38 AM

View PostTsundoku, on 19 December 2021 - 10:42 PM, said:

Brian May got the spicy cough, but is grateful he's had 2 x Pfizer + booster.

https://www.news.com...767b48b2bcc57f0

If only he'd not turned out to be an angry spiteful boomer eh.

(Context: "Queen would never have made it now, not 'diverse' enough")

I had my booster Saturday. Yesterday was horrific. Moderna. Still got a headache now, but yesterday we had vomiting, sweats, fever dreams, exhaustion... The lot. The booster venue was basically empty when I went though, and now I'm seeing talk of a two week post-Christmas lockdown again? No one will pay a blind bit of notice. People will say "the government failed us" about this but then fail to note that they've failed us ever since they were elected. People have been conditioned to snort at expert advice, why pay attention now? Frustration.

Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#3168 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 20 December 2021 - 01:12 PM

The boy had a bit of a chesty cough and a slight fever for a couple of days so we all had a test because good old Xi ... er Omicron is blowing up here.
Results back in 6 hours! All clear, thank goodness. :)

Yet apparently some people are still snagging 3 days off work for tests? How does that compute? Nice for them I guess. :rolleyes:

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 20 December 2021 - 01:13 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#3169 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 December 2021 - 02:05 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 20 December 2021 - 01:12 PM, said:

The boy had a bit of a chesty cough and a slight fever for a couple of days so we all had a test because good old Xi ... er Omicron is blowing up here.
Results back in 6 hours! All clear, thank goodness. :)

Ah Glad he's okay! We had to rapid test out son this AM due to him having something from day-care, but he's also negative thankfully.

-------

Update on my earlier post. Wife went to bat for us against her sister so I didn't have to be caught in the middle. Sister-in-law will now make her husband get tested, and will test all three of her kids. We offered a compromise that she initially rejected (if you can believe that) whereby we would let the kids all play outside together Christmas Day, and that we would do presents inside while everyone is masked with them, and then we would not be eating with them and will eat at our own place. The husband refuses to wear his mask indoors for when we are in there, so he has been told he needs to be away from everyone if that's the case.

They have seemingly agreed.

Super weird situation, and not ideal with my brother-in-law still be an obstinate prick...but it will do I think with them all testing beforehand.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#3170 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 20 December 2021 - 04:42 PM

I'd be watchful for the fake test - as in the sister in law attempts to get her husband to take a test, he pitches a fit until she caves, and then they both lie to you.

Good luck and I hope it's less aggravating than that though.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#3171 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 December 2021 - 04:46 PM

View Postamphibian, on 20 December 2021 - 04:42 PM, said:

I'd be watchful for the fake test - as in the sister in law attempts to get her husband to take a test, he pitches a fit until she caves, and then they both lie to you.

Yep, I already said this suspicion to my wife. Apparently he is doing the rapid test at the house with my father-in-law in attendance to make sure.

#3172 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 20 December 2021 - 05:37 PM

It's disheartening that people are that selfish they won't even stick a swab up their snout for a simple test to be with their family.

#3173 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 December 2021 - 06:09 PM

View PostMacros, on 20 December 2021 - 05:37 PM, said:

It's disheartening that people are that selfish they won't even stick a swab up their snout for a simple test to be with their family.

You're telling me. My wife is furious with him, and even mad at her sister for not standing up to him about it since it's her extended family he will be around.

#3174 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 20 December 2021 - 09:18 PM

Yeah, aside from testing and vaccines I simply don't get what people have against wearing masks. Sure it's a bit annoying, but it's not exactly a huge imposition.

To me it just seems like so many people are dressing up their unwillingness to do a small act to help keep other people safe as "Muh freedumbz!".
Sure it's not 100% effective, but it's sure as shit better than not wearing one and any advantage, however incremental - especially such a minor act - should be super easy to comply with.

I guess in a way the upside is they're like large neck or face tattoos - great fuckwit indicators.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 20 December 2021 - 09:20 PM

#3175 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 20 December 2021 - 11:57 PM

'A new study on infectiousness in the UK was essentially misappropriated, and its 24 (!) hospitalized Omicron patients [...] were cited as strong evidence that Omicron is not less severe than Delta. Whereas what the study actually said on the topic was mostly nothing, because there wasn’t enough data yet.

Thus the big row over the idea of there being "no evidence" for things, and how that turns into those things being known to be wrong (or right!) at the whim of those who control the narrative[...] The Phrase "No Evidence" Is a Red Flag for Bad Science Communication[...]

"Prof Francois Balloux @BallouxFrancois

Actually, more recent data from Denmark looks more encouraging. Based
on a far larger sample size, Omicron hospitalisations are at —0.696 vs. -1.596
for Delta (—60% down)."

The new difference could easily disappear once we factor in reinfections and breakthroughs and age, but it’s hard to know, as opposed to the early data which would have indicated an importantly more severe strain and also would have contradicted other sources.

[...] My take based on current evidence is that we can rule out dramatically milder versions, we can rule out substantially more severe versions, and the question is whether this represents something like original strain or is similar to Delta, and we still don’t have that answer.'

https://www.lesswron.../omicron-post-8

#3176 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 21 December 2021 - 02:37 AM

Heh, my mom ordered 20 of those rapid-tests and is going to force everyone to do one outside on the front steps when they arrive on Christmas eve before they can come inside. I don't know why she's not telling them about this ahead of time but it should be fun to watch her ambush them. I also don't think she has any actual plan for what to do if anyone actually tests positive...

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#3177 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 22 December 2021 - 10:31 PM

A universal coronavirus vaccine---effective against all future strains, as well as common cold coronaviruses---may have been developed by the US Army:

'vaccine [...] proved effective against all strains of the virus, including omicron, in Phase 1 (human) trials. [...] Preliminary[...] results suggest that this technique might create antibodies that work against COVID and some seasonal colds and against known coronavirus strains that have not yet even appeared in humans.'

Added bonus:

'could it also increase vaccine adoption across the United States? Consider:

• A significant chunk of the country's anti-vax sentiment is generated in right-wing and libertarian communities by people who frequently identify themselves as "patriots" and position themselves in opposition to what they see as elitist liberal institutions.

• Patriotism is traditionally identified with support for the military.

• The Army is the military.

• The Army is not typically thought of as liberal or elitist.'

https://slate.com/ne...ns.html?via=rss

Not too optimistic about right-wing anti-vaxxers changing their minds---Deep State / it's demons! / conspiracy theory nonsense clogging their brains seems easy to extend to parts of the military... isn't like their 'patriotism' has extended to respect for the current President (not that I blame them, goddamn slowpoke Biden would have had a good plan with at-home testing + at-home antiviral pill but won't implement it in time).

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 22 December 2021 - 10:31 PM

#3178 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 25 December 2021 - 03:02 PM

Hrm. Went to bed last night with chills. Woke up today with a hangover-like headache (excessive for the 3 half-shots I had last night some 8 hours before bedtime), and a low fever.

I suppose the vaccine works? Lol
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#3179 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 25 December 2021 - 08:01 PM

View PostD, on 21 December 2021 - 02:37 AM, said:

Heh, my mom ordered 20 of those rapid-tests and is going to force everyone to do one outside on the front steps when they arrive on Christmas eve before they can come inside. I don't know why she's not telling them about this ahead of time but it should be fun to watch her ambush them. I also don't think she has any actual plan for what to do if anyone actually tests positive...

Very keen to hear how this went.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#3180 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 26 December 2021 - 11:14 AM

Who was the first guest to cry Nazis?

Share this topic:

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic