Malazan Empire: COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV) - Malazan Empire

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV)

#2201 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 04 December 2020 - 01:32 AM

Dry ice and insulted boxes can handle the transport. It’s about having freezers where they arrive.

#2202 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 04 December 2020 - 01:59 AM

That's what I'm saying, yes. Storage is a huge problem, as well as distribution in more remote areas.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#2203 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 04 December 2020 - 12:22 PM

I keep thinking about that episode of Star Trek Next Generation where there are 2 planets co-dependent on each other because one manufactured a cure to a plague on the other planet. The planet that needed it became addicted to the medicine and every time it wore off they had withdrawal and thought the plague was back. The planet making the medicine had an economy entirely geared towards producing the medicine and couldn't do anything else.

Well that's where we are going peeps. Our lords and masters will soon be the ones with the keys to the cold chain!

Where's a hero like Jean-Luc Picard when you need one?
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#2204 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 04 December 2020 - 12:40 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 04 December 2020 - 12:22 PM, said:

I keep thinking about that episode of Star Trek Next Generation where there are 2 planets co-dependent on each other because one manufactured a cure to a plague on the other planet. The planet that needed it became addicted to the medicine and every time it wore off they had withdrawal and thought the plague was back. The planet making the medicine had an economy entirely geared towards producing the medicine and couldn't do anything else.

Well that's where we are going peeps. Our lords and masters will soon be the ones with the keys to the cold chain!

Retired. Something about being "too old for this shit".
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#2205 User is online   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 04 December 2020 - 12:55 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 04 December 2020 - 12:22 PM, said:

So basically we'll be America?
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#2206 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 04 December 2020 - 01:29 PM

View PostCause, on 04 December 2020 - 01:32 AM, said:

Dry ice and insulted boxes can handle the transport. It’s about having freezers where they arrive.

View PostGorefest, on 04 December 2020 - 01:59 AM, said:

That's what I'm saying, yes. Storage is a huge problem, as well as distribution in more remote areas.

Yeah, we are getting our first shipment to the Grey-Bruce area where Chapman's ice cream is....because they have big freezers and refrigerators...
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#2207 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 04 December 2020 - 03:03 PM

I think I've actually seen that episode of trek!

#2208 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 06 December 2020 - 05:06 PM

Well it wouldn't be 2020 if we didn't have something called "Zombie Mink" emerging in Denmark. What an amazing year.

#2209 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 06 December 2020 - 05:36 PM

Merry Christmas, you filthy animals!

#2210 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 07 December 2020 - 07:43 AM

Over the weekend I read a book about pandemics during the past 10.000 years called "Den fjerde rytter" (The fourth horseman).

It wasn't a very good book, too superficial, but it did point out one thing. All the anti-vaccers, corona-deniers, clorox-injecters and general conspiracy types are not new and they've always been out there. The only surprising thing is how superstitious and ignorant large parts of our population still is. There's little difference between the people on facebook and some idiot hundreds or thousands of years ago breaking all the pottery to scare away the plague or smoking cigars to protect themselves from tuberculosis.

After reading that book I'm so very happy I was born at the end of the 20th century and not just a hundred years earlier. The amount of diseases that could kill or cripple you, was staggering. No wonder everything was so fucked up and everyone believed in God. Any day of the week you could start shitting yourself to death or have you flesh begin rotting off.

#2211 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 07 December 2020 - 11:16 AM

God damnit!

The government in Denmark is currently doing a press conference about the rising Corona-infections.

They just announced that, among other places, they're closing the libraries in affected regions.

Which is all well and good.

But I planned my vacation For the next twenty days.

So again, just like spring, the closure happens during my vacation time.

That's completely unfair - Won't somebody think of my free time?

#2212 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 07 December 2020 - 11:30 AM

View PostThe Incredible Aptorian, on 07 December 2020 - 11:16 AM, said:

Won't somebody think of my free time?

Don't you realise they WERE thinking of your free time? What else do you think the trigger event for them was?
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#2213 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 07 December 2020 - 11:42 AM

HAHA I just figured out I can cancel my vacation via our service portal. Free vacation, baby!

Much sympathy and respect for those affected by the december close down and those currently dealing with the illness.

BUT FREE VACATION WHOOOOOOO!!!

#2214 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

Posted 07 December 2020 - 08:29 PM

View PostThe Incredible Aptorian, on 07 December 2020 - 07:43 AM, said:

Any day of the week you could start shitting yourself to death or have you flesh begin rotting off.

All hail antibiotics and sanitation.

#2215 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 07 December 2020 - 08:38 PM

Aye, just reading the horror stories about these people not knowing about germs and infections was gruesome. And the crazy part is thaty the historians assessment, the versions of various diseases we know today, like syphilis, tuberculosis, cholera, etc. seem to be less deadly mutations of earlier strains. We either adapted or the diseases changed. I'd cut my wrists if I fell out of a time machine in the 1300s.

#2216 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

Posted 07 December 2020 - 08:54 PM

Be sure to do a proper job. You don't want to get an infection.

#2217 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 07 December 2020 - 09:53 PM

i always assume our immune syatems these days are a lot of pish, we live in such a sanitised (western anyway) world

#2218 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

Posted 07 December 2020 - 10:07 PM

Yeah they reckon it could be why we suffer from allergies in the developed world. Bored immune systems.

#2219 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 07 December 2020 - 10:32 PM

well, personally as a medically trained doctor and scientist.

I think it's because we're spoiled fucking rotten. If someone needs an epi pen, yes they have an allergy. If you're Fred who has a gluten intolerance, undiagnosed but could you make sure its low GI? you can fuck off.

Peanut allergies are more common because of fear, now I could be wrong

the possibility exists

but has there not been studies done that show exposing your kids to peanut butter etc early in life decreases instances of intolerance?

I fully accept that this could have be in my head, but there is no one in Ethiopia who is lactose intolerant.

#2220 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 07 December 2020 - 10:49 PM

View PostMacros, on 07 December 2020 - 10:32 PM, said:

well, personally as a medically trained doctor and scientist.

I think it's because we're spoiled fucking rotten. If someone needs an epi pen, yes they have an allergy. If you're Fred who has a gluten intolerance, undiagnosed but could you make sure its low GI? you can fuck off.

Peanut allergies are more common because of fear, now I could be wrong

the possibility exists

but has there not been studies done that show exposing your kids to peanut butter etc early in life decreases instances of intolerance?

I fully accept that this could have be in my head, but there is no one in Ethiopia who is lactose intolerant.

70 percent of Ethiopians were lactose intolerant in a recent study.

https://www.research...mong_Ethiopians

Lactose intolerance in adults is pretty much the norm in most places, that mutation is relatively recent.

Share this topic:

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users