Malazan Empire: COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV) - Malazan Empire

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV)

#2241 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 10 December 2020 - 02:54 PM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 10 December 2020 - 07:13 AM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 09 December 2020 - 03:47 PM, said:

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 09 December 2020 - 03:39 PM, said:

Wonder how 'bad' they mean. And how 'significant'... 'carry around an epi pen all the time'?

If they already carried around epinephrine shots for possible allergy related stuff prior to the vaccine, I would expect the same kind of thing the shots would be required for in daily life, probably on the back of an ingredient in the vaccine triggering their reaction. Pretty typical for the severely allergic to have adverse affects from vaccines. The good news would be even if you have the adverse reactions, as long as you have your epinephrine with you, you'd be okay and the vaccine would be out of your system in what? 2 months including the booster?

Other half carries an epipen (nut allergy), he sent me the link yesterday. As we're both in our 30s we're assuming they'll have figured out the problem by the time we're eligible to receive it.

Yes, As far as I know they usually single out the allergen in the existing vaccine and shift it out for something else that won't react that way. I hear they do this with the flu shot every year for those that have allergies to the egg product in them?

But yes, I'd expect by the time us plebs get it, it will be safe for you guys.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#2242 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 11 December 2020 - 04:55 AM

What are the expected reactions with the vaccine? Some tenderness/soreness at the area where the shot was administered? Some low grade fever accompanied by minor aches and pains? Short term (-day) feeling of fatigue/lethargy? With that, maybe accompanying inability to focus/concentrate? Headache? Loss of appetite? Any other normal reactions that fall within acceptable determinations of vaccine response? Will some vaccine recipients be expected to miss a day of work for example?

#2243 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 11 December 2020 - 08:18 AM

Given a massive variations in symptoms and severity of Covid19 as an illness I expect the vaccine response to be widely varied

#2244 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 12 December 2020 - 02:09 AM

I sure hope I heard this wrong, because I had the news on as background noise while I was working, but I could swear they mentioned something about Trump making an attempt to brand the vaccine that is going out in America. So, "Trump Vaccine"?

#2245 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 12 December 2020 - 02:23 AM

View PostMalankazooie, on 12 December 2020 - 02:09 AM, said:

I sure hope I heard this wrong, because I had the news on as background noise while I was working, but I could swear they mentioned something about Trump making an attempt to brand the vaccine that is going out in America. So, "Trump Vaccine"?

Geraldo Rivera on Fox News a few weeks ago: 'with the world so divided and everybody telling [Trump] he’s got to give up, and it’s time to leave, and the time to transition and all the rest of it, why not name the vaccine "The Trump." You know, make it like: "Have you got your Trump yet?" You know, it’d be a nice gesture to him, and years from now would become just a kind of a generic game. "Have you got your Trump yet now?" :I got my Trump. I’m fine." [...] I wish we could honor him in that way because he is definitely the prime architect of this Operation Warp Speed. And but for him, we’d still be waiting into the grim winter for these amazing, miraculous medical breakthroughs'

(Of course, 'Rivera conveniently omitted the fact that Pfizer did not take research funding from Trump’s Operation Warp Speed program')

https://www.rollings...-trump-1093383/

#2246 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 12 December 2020 - 03:13 AM

Getting The Trump should be the new way to refer to syphilis.

That's a much more appropriate legacy for that human shitstain.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 12 December 2020 - 03:14 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#2247 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 13 December 2020 - 10:38 AM

Trump is another word for Fart in the UK. Henceforth I shall honour him by reserving it for the worst ones.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#2248 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 13 December 2020 - 12:14 PM

In a similar vein, I shall henceforth refer to my nastiest turds as "Donald".
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#2249 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 13 December 2020 - 05:53 PM

Hmmm ... OK ... :ermm:

https://www.news.com...3fbae233ad7712e

Swab from Milan boy, 4, tests positive to coronavirus weeks before Wuhan outbreak
Researchers say a swab from a four-year-old boy taken months before Italy’s first confirmed COVID-19 cases tested positive for the coronavirus.

Boy from Milan could be first known source of COVID-19
A university in Italy says they have found evidence a four-year-old boy from Milan contracted coronavirus a month before the first recorded case in Wuhan.
Evidence of the coronavirus which causes COVID-19 disease was detected in a four-year-old Milan boy months before Italy recorded its first case, researchers say.

Chronologically, the finding also precedes the cases of “viral pneumonia” linked to a seafood market in Wuhan, China and reported on December 31, 2019.

Speaking about the boy, Professor of Global Health at the University of Milan, Mario C. Raviglione, told Sky News: “A year ago, this child started having symptoms on the 21st of November, which means that assuming there’s an incubation period of three to four days, some time around the middle of November he was infected.”

Italy’s first known COVID-19 case was reported in the Lombardy region on February 21, 2020 and as the first Western country to be hit by the virus, it became the European epicentre.

It reported almost 20,000 new infections and 649 new coronavirus-related deaths on Saturday, bringing its toll to 64,036.

According to a research letter in the Emerging Infectious Diseases Journal, published online this week by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the four-year-old Milan boy had a cough and a rhinitis – inflammation and swelling of the mucous membrane of the nose – on November 21, 2019.

“About a week later (November 30), he was taken to the emergency department with respiratory symptoms and vomiting,” it reads.

“On December 1, he had onset of a measles-like rash.”

The researchers noted COVID-19 symptoms include “a Kawasaki disease-like multisystem inflammatory syndrome and skin manifestations that accompany common viral infections such as chickenpox and measles”.

They said the boy’s clinical course such as changes to his skin “resembles what has been reported by other authors” during the COVID-19 pandemic, “and several studies have noticed a later onset in younger patients”.

A throat swab was taken on December 5, two weeks after symptom onset, for clinical diagnosis of suspected measles.

The specimen tested positive for severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 RNA (SARS-CoV-2 RNA).

The finding came about after University of Milan researchers noticed cases of suspected measles during Europe’s late autumn in patients who eventually tested negative for measles.

They “retrospectively” looked into the possibility of SARS-CoV-2 in the “non measles-linked rash cases” and analysed swabs collected between September 2019 and February 2020 from 39 patients, aged between eight months and 73 years.

The swab from the four-year-old boy, who lived in the surrounding Milan area and had no reported travel history, was the only one to test positive.

“This finding is of epidemiologic importance because it expands our knowledge on timing and mapping of the SARS-CoV-2 transmission pathways,” the research letter states.

“Long-term, unrecognised spread of SARS-CoV-2 in northern Italy would help explain, at least in part, the devastating impact and rapid course of the first wave of COVID-19 in Lombardy.”

Additionally, a sewage study by the Italian National Institute of Health “unequivocally demonstrated” the presence of the virus in Milan wastewater as early as mid December 2019.

The boy’s swab showed “100 per cent identity” to the coronavirus strain in Wuhan, “as well as to sequences of other SARS-CoV-2 strains circulating worldwide at a later stage”, the researchers said.

“Therefore, accurately determining the origin of the identified strain was not possible.”

They said the swab was “not optimal” to detect the coronavirus causing COVID-19 because it was taken from the boy’s throat for the purpose of diagnosing measles and not the nose.

It was also collected 14 days after his symptom onset meaning viral shedding was reduced.

The researchers said further studies aimed at detecting SARS-CoV-2 RNA in suitable archived samples will be “crucial” to determining the timeline of the COVID-19 epidemic in Italy.

Experts believe the coronavirus likely came from bats and through an intermediate host, with human-to-human transmission confirmed by Chinese authorities in January 2020.

Theories have swirled about whether the pangolin was the animal acting as the go-between.

Professor David Robertson, Head of Viral Genomics and Bioinformatics at the University of Glasgow, was among a team of experts to trace the evolutionary origins of the coronavirus.

“Collectively our analyses point to bats being the primary reservoir for the SARS-CoV-2 lineage,” the article, published in the Nature Microbiology Journal in July 2020, states.

“While it is possible that pangolins, or another hitherto undiscovered species, may have acted as an intermediate host facilitating transmission to humans, current evidence is consistent with the virus having evolved in bats resulting in bat sarbecoviruses that can replicate in the upper respiratory tract of both humans and pangolins.”

Prof Robertson told The Lancet: “The virus would not need to evolve in the pangolin, it would just need to be brought into contact with humans.”

#2250 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 13 December 2020 - 08:43 PM

Sounds more like a contaminated swab, to be honest.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#2251 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 14 December 2020 - 08:53 AM

View PostTsundoku, on 13 December 2020 - 12:14 PM, said:

"All my turds go straight to hell, a small gift for the darkness itself.
All my farts come straight from hell, you're already dead if you notice a smell."

Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#2252 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 14 December 2020 - 11:27 AM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 14 December 2020 - 08:53 AM, said:

All my farts come straight from hell, you're already dead if you notice a smell."

Always good to see the greatest band ever referenced...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#2253 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 14 December 2020 - 12:48 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 14 December 2020 - 11:27 AM, said:

View PostMaark Abbott, on 14 December 2020 - 08:53 AM, said:

Always good to see the greatest band ever referenced...

Ah, I see you're a man of CC as well.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#2254 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 14 December 2020 - 03:24 PM

My county (Rensselaer county in NY) has seen a big big spike in daily cases. In October, the daily cases were in the teens. Now, we're seeing 70s-80s and hit 90 on Saturday. There are close to 800 active cases right now in a population of about 160,000.

I believe firmly that this is the knock on effects of having three things: 1) a county chairman who is a dumb shithead who doesn't really believe in masks or safe protocols and also hates the governor and Democrats; 2) Thanksgiving gatherings that have now spread to people who didn't go to the gatherings; 3) nursing homes and other facilities like jails that have not taken proper precautions for keeping residents and staff safe.

Things are getting worse than they were at the beginning of the pandemic up here. It's still not at the level of what was happening in NYC, yet given how bad things are getting in other sections of the country, this is a really bad sign that people are bending the protocols to go hang out, doing dumb things because the right wing has normalized that, and because doing any kind of lockdown for months is severely draining.

Several countries have functionally beaten this already. It's not simply because they're an island nation or because of the US having a big population. It's because they actually locked down hard for a short time.

This post has been edited by amphibian: 14 December 2020 - 03:26 PM

I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#2255 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 14 December 2020 - 04:29 PM

Posted Image

'[...] “Black Americans are especially likely to say they know someone who has been hospitalized or died as a result of having the coronavirus: 71 percent say this, compared with smaller shares of Hispanic (61 percent), White (49 percent) and Asian-American (48 percent) adults.”

But that same report contained the following: “Black Americans continue to stand out as less inclined to get vaccinated than other racial and ethnic groups: 42 percent would do so, compared with 63 percent of Hispanic and 61 percent of white adults.”

The unfortunate American fact is that Black people in this country have been well-trained, over centuries, to distrust both the government and the medical establishment on the issue of health care.'

https://www.nytimes....ons-health.html

#2256 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 15 December 2020 - 08:57 PM

"Poke and Change", really? *in-my-best-Biden-impersonation - "come on man."

#2257 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 16 December 2020 - 01:59 PM

Some of you may have heard this audio already, but here is Tom Cruise utterly REAMING some of the crew out on the set of MI 7 for not following COVID rules (I'm assuming masking, but it could be something else).

But yeah, I 100% side with him here. He's a producer as well as an actor on set and I can't imagine the logistics of being allowed to stay working while the shutdown is on, and how strictly they all need to follow the rules....so for some people to reportedly flout those rules so badly and risk a shutdown for an outbreak...man, his anger is palpable and speaks for how I feel when I see people not following the basic fucking rules.

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#2258 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 16 December 2020 - 07:45 PM

I've heard comparisons of this to Christian Bale's meltdown from, shit that must have been more then a decade now I think. I don't see that comparison at all. Cruise is justified. Typical corporate HR would probably bristle at something like this, but I've heard worse at blue collar jobs I've held. Good for him. He effectively got the point across. I think the crew will fall in line and will not longer flout the protocols now.

#2259 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 16 December 2020 - 09:28 PM

'Health Worker Had a Serious Allergic Reaction After Pfizer's Vaccine

The person had no history of allergies.'

https://www.nytimes....c-reaction.html

[Edit: 'had an anaphylactic reaction that began 10 minutes after receiving the vaccine[...] the reaction subsided soon after the worker was treated with epinephrine.'

So perhaps vaccine distribution centers should also have epinephrine shots ready, and require people to stay around 15 minutes just in case? Or would the extra time lingering be too risky for disease spread?]

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 16 December 2020 - 09:31 PM

#2260 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 17 December 2020 - 03:26 PM

Glad most of your immediate fam is okay BK! Sory to hear about your aunt, hope she's going to come out of it okay.

On our end, Ontario has had nearly 2500 cases today...and Quebec just hard locked after letting their cases get out of control...so I expect ours is coming, but I want it now...it's already too late. Holy shit I hate this timeline.

Share this topic:

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users