Malazan Empire: COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV) - Malazan Empire

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV)

#2181 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 30 November 2020 - 10:03 PM

From my Fbook feed pictures, there were some people who congregated in large numbers and didn't wear masks. I counted 12+ in a picture put up by one friend who was at my wedding with her wife.

I think a few others had similar events and kept the pictures off Fbook.

We isolated for 2 weeks and so did my wife's mother and sister. We traveled down to spend the weekend with the two of them and the 4 dogs we have between us. In terms of traffic, car travel was way way down. However, black Friday shopping was still significant (had to go to the grocery store in a big plaza to get food to cook for the next day).

I think we'll indeed see a big spike in two weeks all across the country and this time, it'll mostly go through the white people who aren't taking this stuff as seriously and had a big family party for days.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#2182 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 02 December 2020 - 09:45 AM

I'm vaccinating first?

Talk to me science nerds

#2183 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 02 December 2020 - 09:58 AM

UK, not I'm. Fucking auto correct

#2184 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 02 December 2020 - 12:54 PM

View PostMacros, on 02 December 2020 - 09:45 AM, said:

I'm vaccinating first?

Talk to me science nerds

I'm not hugely up on the science side but mumsy is involved in the CCG side and her only concern is the logistical scale, she's gone over the medical side of the vaccine itself and has zero issues with it as presented (and given she's been in medical practice for four decades or so I'll defer to her word on that). So I think I'd be quite happy to get in the queue for it.

That said I'm a low priority to receive it and can continue to work from home indefinitely anyway, so I can sit back a little and keep an eye on what happens.

Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#2185 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 02 December 2020 - 02:44 PM

I imagine I'll probably be offered it relatively soon but as I'm on the Isle of Man there will be to be some back and forth between the NHS and government here and in the UK so I dunno but it sounds like they will start doing places from next Tuesday.

There is a small amount of satisfaction thinking that some of the Tories are probably angry at how much money they could be making out of this but they won't be...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#2186 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 02 December 2020 - 03:29 PM

I will be nowhere near first when Canada gets it, that would go to front-line workers in hospital ect., the elderly in LTCHs and whatnot who all need it more than me...but let me tell you, the minute they let regular schmoes have it, I'm getting it. This shit garbage year needs to end, and we need a vaccine widely distributed.

Can I just say how remarkable it is that we have 4 different companies working on getting vaccines (most of which are like 90-95% efficacy endpoints!) out to the public faster than any vaccine before? Go Science!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#2187 User is offline   Garak 

• Emperor
  • Interests:40k, Star Wars, Babylon 5, WW2, A Song of Ice and Fire, the Drenai series, the Riftwar and all that followed it, D&D, Vikings, the Malazan Book of the Fallen. I think you get the gist of it.

Posted 02 December 2020 - 03:40 PM

Meanwhile my aunt still insists this plague is man made with the intent to cull the population (despite the numbers being to low for that to be the case) and a colleague at work says it's the Chinese winning WW3 without firing a shot. I just sigh and walk away, rolling my eyes.

And a very close of mine is a pediatric resident and she's now being moved to our local Infectious Diseases Hospital because they need more personnel, despite the fact that she has thyroid issues which would make her more vulnerable to crap and severe reactions. For her sake and others I hope we also get the vaccine quickly. I heard they are making storage facility in our city so that's good ..... here's hoping the general incompetence, greed and idiocy of our leaders doesn't fuck it up.

This post has been edited by Garak: 02 December 2020 - 03:44 PM

The meaning of life is BOOM!!!

#2188 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 02 December 2020 - 05:09 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 02 December 2020 - 12:54 PM, said:

I'm vaccinating first?

Talk to me science nerds

I'm not hugely up on the science side but mumsy is involved in the CCG side and her only concern is the logistical scale, she's gone over the medical side of the vaccine itself and has zero issues with it as presented (and given she's been in medical practice for four decades or so I'll defer to her word on that). So I think I'd be quite happy to get in the queue for it.

That said I'm a low priority to receive it and can continue to work from home indefinitely anyway, so I can sit back a little and keep an eye on what happens.

I can't see a risk of an immediate or long term negative health consequence from having the injections.

If I was to have it tomorrow I would be unconcerned but I also wouldn't change my approach to social distancing until I saw more evidence that I was no longer at risk of carrying the infection and passing it on.

I would also continue to be careful in terms of my own risk of catching the infection until I saw more widespread data that it offers long term protection. I expect over time I would relax about this if my lived experience would make me realise I didn't seem to have had it.

A safe vaccine is one thing. A vaccine that works long term is another. The long term answer requires much longer studies.

All the other vaccines I ever had I have never been of an age where I was particularly worried about contracting the disease I was being vaccinated against. MMR and TB I was a kid. My flu vaccines have been more for convenience because I ain't got time for respiratory infections. HBV was in case of needle stick at work. Whooping cough was for pregnancy. Covid would be because I'm genuinely freaked out about getting it and spreading it. It's a different thought process.

Saying that I finally know someone with a confirmed positive test. She's fine - had a really bad headache and fever for a couple of days. She's also in her 20s though.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#2189 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 03 December 2020 - 08:52 AM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 02 December 2020 - 05:09 PM, said:

View PostMaark Abbott, on 02 December 2020 - 12:54 PM, said:

I'm vaccinating first?

Talk to me science nerds

I can't see a risk of an immediate or long term negative health consequence from having the injections.

If I was to have it tomorrow I would be unconcerned but I also wouldn't change my approach to social distancing until I saw more evidence that I was no longer at risk of carrying the infection and passing it on.

I would also continue to be careful in terms of my own risk of catching the infection until I saw more widespread data that it offers long term protection. I expect over time I would relax about this if my lived experience would make me realise I didn't seem to have had it.

A safe vaccine is one thing. A vaccine that works long term is another. The long term answer requires much longer studies.

All the other vaccines I ever had I have never been of an age where I was particularly worried about contracting the disease I was being vaccinated against. MMR and TB I was a kid. My flu vaccines have been more for convenience because I ain't got time for respiratory infections. HBV was in case of needle stick at work. Whooping cough was for pregnancy. Covid would be because I'm genuinely freaked out about getting it and spreading it. It's a different thought process.

Saying that I finally know someone with a confirmed positive test. She's fine - had a really bad headache and fever for a couple of days. She's also in her 20s though.

Absolutely. If folks versed in science say this is safe, take it, I'll listen to them, but I'm under no illusion that it's a magic plaster at all. One step forward and all that.

On a somewhat related note I may end up with a vaccine way ahead of priority - reviewing the vaccination plan (which I don't come under), my wife falls into the second tier (frontline residential social care worker, but not for the elderly) so I am unsure if this means I would be offered it at the same time she is due to the nature of her job. Have to see, I guess.

Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#2190 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 03 December 2020 - 11:10 AM

Attached File  IMG-20201203-WA0006.jpg (69.42K)
Number of downloads: 0

#2191 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 03 December 2020 - 12:35 PM

So report from the CDC after they went to the Red Cross and checked blood donations....that COVID 19 was at least in the US as of Dec 2019...they found COVID anti-bodies in that blood.

So yeah, apropos of nothing really, but just shows us that the virus was in our populations (probably from travellers who were in Wuhan in Sept/Oct/Nov 2019) long before our governments announced it (were able to announce it?). Now the question is were those people asymptomatic, or did they have respiratory viruses that their doctors just chalked up to something else?

Anyways, interesting nonetheless.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#2192 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB

Posted 03 December 2020 - 04:31 PM

The problem with this roll out is if there is the half life of the protection of the vaccine isn't long, or just long enough for society at large to relax without boosters etc. And who will be our canaries in the mine? The most vulnerable. Doesn't mean shouldn't take it but the risk will still be weighted with the most vulnerable.

This post has been edited by Cyphon: 03 December 2020 - 04:32 PM

Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#2193 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 03 December 2020 - 04:55 PM

View PostCyphon, on 03 December 2020 - 04:31 PM, said:

The problem with this roll out is if there is the half life of the protection of the vaccine isn't long, or just long enough for society at large to relax without boosters etc. And who will be our canaries in the mine? The most vulnerable. Doesn't mean shouldn't take it but the risk will still be weighted with the most vulnerable.

No way of knowing really except with time. I have no doubt the first group of volunteers are having blood samples and antibody titre test every few weeks. Since they are months ahead of the rest of us should provide some warning time. Also wouldn’t be surprised if we are just told to get a booster at 6 months or 1 year until they have more data.

#2194 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 03 December 2020 - 05:23 PM

Or zombies.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#2195 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 03 December 2020 - 06:16 PM

That was probably syphilis.

#2196 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 03 December 2020 - 07:16 PM

View PostCause, on 03 December 2020 - 04:55 PM, said:

View PostCyphon, on 03 December 2020 - 04:31 PM, said:

No way of knowing really except with time. I have no doubt the first group of volunteers are having blood samples and antibody titre test every few weeks. Since they are months ahead of the rest of us should provide some warning time. Also wouldn’t be surprised if we are just told to get a booster at 6 months or 1 year until they have more data.

Logistically speaking we are going to get in trouble if we need boosters early on as globally you will not have finished vaccinating everyone first time around by the time a booster is needed for the people who were vaccinated early!
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#2197 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 03 December 2020 - 08:55 PM

The only worse thing than needing boosters will be needing them and not getting them. No point vaccinating nee people of the old people are no longer immune.

It’s gonna be a nightmare but it already is. Every country will prioritize its own with its own supply.

I just hope that governments can do some kind of defense production act and compensate Pfizer and moderns and whoever else as needed but force them to basically let any lab that can make the vaccine make it

#2198 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 03 December 2020 - 10:57 PM

I'm not clued in to how this works, but the way infection rates are going in America is it possible we reach herd immunity before the vaccine is widely distributed and put to use? The infection #s being reported every day are pretty staggering it seems.

This post has been edited by Malankazooie: 03 December 2020 - 10:58 PM

#2199 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 03 December 2020 - 11:22 PM

For herd immunity to be effective (if it even works effectively in tne case of covid-19, which we so far have no proof for) you would probably need about 70% of the population to have had the disease and recovered (percentage will vary depending on the infectiousness of the disease). So that would mean 200 million Americans? Seems a bit of a stretch, even with the painful numbers we are currently seeing. And with such numbers the risk to vulnerable members of society is staggering and totally unacceptable.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#2200 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 03 December 2020 - 11:24 PM

View PostCause, on 03 December 2020 - 08:55 PM, said:

The only worse thing than needing boosters will be needing them and not getting them. No point vaccinating nee people of the old people are no longer immune.

It’s gonna be a nightmare but it already is. Every country will prioritize its own with its own supply.

I just hope that governments can do some kind of defense production act and compensate Pfizer and moderns and whoever else as needed but force them to basically let any lab that can make the vaccine make it

Don't think the production will be the issue, it is the storage. These mRNA vaccines require longterm storage and international shipping at extremely cold temperatures (-70deg Celsius).

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 03 December 2020 - 11:25 PM

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

Share this topic:

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users