Malazan Empire: COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV) - Malazan Empire

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV)

#1761 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 23 July 2020 - 09:15 PM

So professional baseball (MLB) here in the U.S. is starting up this evening. Dr. Fauci will throw out the first pitch for the NY Yankees @ Washington Nationals game. Gamblers jonesin' to quiet the fire of their gambling obsession will have absurd wagers to bet on. One being whether Dr. Fauci wears a face mask or not when he walks out to the mound to throw the first pitch. I mean, that's a pretty solid bet, yeah? He definitely will be wearing a mask.

#1762 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 23 July 2020 - 11:37 PM

Yikes! That was a terrible effort by Dr. Fauci (google for vid if you want to see). That gives me comfort though. I prefer my doctors to be nerdy and devoted to their profession. Not one of those hunky, television doctors who can juggle their profession, and being a race car driver and wooing the ladies... and <insert awesomeness here>. Dr. Fauci is supposed to be an avid runner though, but that's perfect in my book. A doctor who takes care of his health and well being is reassuring. Oh, and gambling addicts, he did wear a mask.

#1763 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 24 July 2020 - 01:34 AM

Yeah. That was rough. Ive seen some bad ones over the years, but that might take the cake.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#1764 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 24 July 2020 - 07:34 AM

The guy is trying to fight a pandemic and they have him throw balls? I don't get it. Why does everything need to be reduced to entertainment? Where is the dignity?

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 24 July 2020 - 07:35 AM

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#1765 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 24 July 2020 - 07:35 AM

Gorefest, on 24 July 2020 - 07:34 AM, said:

The guy is trying to fight a pandemic and they have him throw balls? I don't get it. Why does everything need to be reduced to entertainment?

Hello and welcome to the United States of America.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#1766 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 24 July 2020 - 12:34 PM

Gorefest, on 24 July 2020 - 07:34 AM, said:

The guy is trying to fight a pandemic and they have him throw balls? I don't get it. Why does everything need to be reduced to entertainment? Where is the dignity?

Scientists need to have fun too. It is going to be a long pandemic after all.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#1767 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 24 July 2020 - 01:48 PM

Yes but there's having fun like completely fucking up throwing a ball - nerd fodder - and there's having fun in a far more typical science nerd kind of way like getting wasted on gin ...

:rolleyes:

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 24 July 2020 - 01:48 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#1768 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 24 July 2020 - 02:51 PM

Also Fauci is 80 years old. Let him do what ever he wants. He's spending his last years trying to save his country rather than enjoying his retirement.

#1769 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 24 July 2020 - 04:55 PM

Fauci did a photo shoot for In Style magazine (google it, he sexaaay!). That photo shoot probably required more of Fauci's time then half a season's worth of walking out to a baseball mound to throw out a pitch. So let's pump the breaks on the overreaction. Also, it's his decision, not a "they", to do these things. Finally, everyone knows Dr. Birx is the real rock star behind the scenes.

#1770 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 24 July 2020 - 11:42 PM

Fuck I was 80 I wouldn’t leave my house

#1771 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 25 July 2020 - 04:21 AM

Malankazooie, on 24 July 2020 - 04:55 PM, said:

Fauci did a photo shoot for In Style magazine (google it, he sexaaay!). That photo shoot probably required more of Fauci's time then half a season's worth of walking out to a baseball mound to throw out a pitch. So let's pump the breaks on the overreaction. Also, it's his decision, not a "they", to do these things. Finally, everyone knows Dr. Birx is the real rock star behind the scenes.

I thought Birx was just Trump's yes woman.

#1772 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 26 July 2020 - 10:49 PM

Oh deary me, the Sunday paper had "back to school" adverts big time (yeah yeah, I still get physical media newspaper deliverd, kick rocks, I'm old school like that, don't judge me).

Anyway, hooboy, along with crayons, and pencils, and protractors just waiting to find a happy home in a child's backpack, front and center on those ad inserts were face masks with with fun designs. I can almost hear the mama "Karens" getting apoplectic when they pulled those out while having their Sunday morning tea. Except they probably don't drink tea, they probably drink Code Red Mountain Dew with their breakfast of cigarettes and Fruit Loops cereal. Shit is going to get wack-a-doodle sideways crazy as the first day of classes approaches. Can you imagine what it would be like to be a teacher dealing with this shit?

#1773 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 27 July 2020 - 07:19 AM

"Mommy and daddy say masks are the devil's work and anyone wearing them is a paedophile!"

#1774 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 29 July 2020 - 04:34 PM

Listening to local radio on the trip in this morning, there was a discussion about "maskne", and topical treatments to apply to your skin to alleviate this condition. I have luxurious, olive skin (great genetics from my mom), so don't have a problem with it. Also, I do something called, "the laundry." People should look into this life changing technology. You can buy these machines that will clean your clothes thoroughly and quickly, so you no longer have to dip them in a river and slap them against a large boulder.

Any you savages suffering from this new phenomenon known as face mask acne - aka maskne?

#1775 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 29 July 2020 - 08:39 PM

Stupid, selfish kids:

https://www.news.com...f1c5007e3a77871

Thanks for lying and ignoring quarantine procedures, causing our first (known) community transmission(s) in a month.

:realmad:
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#1776 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 29 July 2020 - 09:53 PM

I really want to invest in a good quality reusable mask. Anyone have any good suggestions? N95s are so hot and really I think it’s mostly about not breathing on people so they are overkill.

#1777 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 29 July 2020 - 10:04 PM

Cause, on 29 July 2020 - 09:53 PM, said:

I really want to invest in a good quality reusable mask. Anyone have any good suggestions? N95s are so hot and really I think it’s mostly about not breathing on people so they are overkill.

I bought 6 of these and they're amazing. Fits the face well, the straps are easy on the ears etc https://www.etsy.com...e_2&frs=1&crt=1

I suggest buying two so you have one to wear when the other is being washed or if you lose track of one. I use two different pattern ones so I know which is which.

I wore one for 6 hours in 105 degree heat using a filter within it for extra protection while at a protest without a problem.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#1778 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 29 July 2020 - 10:32 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

https://slate.com/hu...r-own-face.html

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 29 July 2020 - 10:34 PM

#1779 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 29 July 2020 - 11:39 PM

Malankazooie, on 29 July 2020 - 04:34 PM, said:

Listening to local radio on the trip in this morning, there was a discussion about "maskne", and topical treatments to apply to your skin to alleviate this condition. I have luxurious, olive skin (great genetics from my mom), so don't have a problem with it. Also, I do something called, "the laundry." People should look into this life changing technology. You can buy these machines that will clean your clothes thoroughly and quickly, so you no longer have to dip them in a river and slap them against a large boulder.

Any you savages suffering from this new phenomenon known as face mask acne - aka maskne?

No, but's it's not unthinkable. People have different skin types (though yes, you absolutely should be washing your mask reguarly, by hand works just as well as machine washing, and you can boil it afterwards for at least five minutes to kill anything the washing didn't manage to just in case). It can get really humid beneath the mask which in turn can aggravate/cause acne.

Case in point, I had to switch to disposable masks as of this week because my number of asthma attacks skyrocketed once it hit 25°C here (from having none at all ever due to a well-maintained meds regime to two a day, and no, I don't have the 'Rona). Since I'm sensitive to heat for unrelated reasons and humidity always makes it more difficult for me to breathe, the humidity and fabric barrier together were not fun. You can't really take deep breaths with a mask, at least not the kind you need for physical activity (like running across the damn main train station of a big city because out railroad company thinks being on time is a vague suggestion at best). The disposable masks, as much as I hate the waste I'm creating his way, are at least light enough that I can do a brisk walk without ruining my entire day.

Another problem I've encountered is that my lips are chapped and dry beneath the mask and I cannot do anything about it because using lip balm and wearing a mask is nasty.
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#1780 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 30 July 2020 - 06:15 AM

Anyone else seen this picture worth a thousand words when it comes to describing two different approaches to the pandemic? It's in the related article for context.
(Plus I can't figure out how to copy the picture file :p )

https://www.news.com...7304e1705570376

Share this topic:

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

8 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users