Malazan Empire: COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV) - Malazan Empire

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV)

#1041 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 14 April 2020 - 08:53 PM

View PostGorefest, on 14 April 2020 - 08:43 PM, said:

What we need is more guanidine thiocyanate. Stockpile the hell out of that compound. It's all they've been asking us for in the past week. Scouring the lab fridges for it.

Have you seen the Crowd Sourcing project the government has set up looking for RNA-extraction-free amplification and transport buffer free swabs etc?
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#1042 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 15 April 2020 - 03:46 AM

View PostBriar King, on 14 April 2020 - 11:51 PM, said:

Even more plastic covers going up. Went to Walmart and they are down to one enter/exit point. Pharmacy is covered up. “Stand on the blue square please.” Went to grocery store, covered up around the cc machine.

Do you have a cloth mask or n95? Are you wearing gloves that you either wash or dispose of?

The Walmart near me has three confirmed cases among staff alone.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#1043 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 15 April 2020 - 07:51 AM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 14 April 2020 - 02:03 PM, said:

View PostPrimateus, on 14 April 2020 - 01:52 PM, said:

View PostMaark Abbott, on 14 April 2020 - 12:37 PM, said:

"Dear NHS, this is all your fault. Love, Matt Hancock"

Can't make it up really can you

He actually said that?

No, but he did make some ridiculous comments about shortages of PPE being down to staff wasting the equipment.

I am paraphrasing quite heavily but the gist of what the Nasty Party are saying boils down to blame shifting. They have also now moved to 'sorry if you feel we are not providing adequate equipment / supplies / guidance'. Much like with the problems they created in power and then blame-shifted onto the EU there is a categorical denial that they are in any way to blame for the fact that we have (at last count I'd checked) 10% of the worldwide deaths from this pandemic.

I mean frankly I can't accept that anything is said in good faith by members of a government who have an actual traitor installed as home secretary but there you go.

Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#1044 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 15 April 2020 - 08:17 AM

Just an aside.
I wonder how Nico is responding to this

#1045 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 15 April 2020 - 08:29 AM

Nico went underground in February I reckon...

This post has been edited by Tiste Simeon: 15 April 2020 - 08:29 AM

A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#1046 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 15 April 2020 - 08:30 AM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 15 April 2020 - 07:51 AM, said:

I mean frankly I can't accept that anything is said in good faith by members of a government who have an actual traitor installed as home secretary but there you go.

Uh, what's that?
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#1047 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 15 April 2020 - 08:37 AM

We have a young guy (20s) in recovery after he rolled his car yesterday and broke his leg. His CT scan for his chest/ribs show that his lungs have exactly the same anomalies as covid lungs.

He has had no symptoms, no problems and apart from the fracture he's fine. He's being swabbed, but from his lungs it looks like he's positive.

I wonder just how many people have this and don't know, and won't know either.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 15 April 2020 - 08:39 AM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#1048 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 15 April 2020 - 08:58 AM

The analysis of peoples poop in the urban sewage systems certainly suggests A LOT of people already have the virus.

Personally I wouldn't be surprised if I was an asymptomatic carrier, having worked daily in a public library. Then again, I think we closed the country before it really started spreading here in Denmark.

#1049 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 15 April 2020 - 09:05 AM

Yeah I was sick twice in the last month. One day with a fever and than nothing, and than a second period of coughing and phlegm. Could be a different disease, could be covid. It’s that uncertainty that’s a problem.

What kind of anomalies in the lungs if he was healthy? Surely if he had lung damage her would have noticed something?

#1050 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 15 April 2020 - 09:37 AM

View PostTsundoku, on 15 April 2020 - 08:30 AM, said:

View PostMaark Abbott, on 15 April 2020 - 07:51 AM, said:

Uh, what's that?

Priti Patel. She got fired for some really shady deals with (iirc) Israel. When Boris got in he immediately gave her a job. ʅ(ツ)ʃ
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#1051 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 15 April 2020 - 09:49 AM

Looking up her wikipedia profile she sounds like the typical slimy politician who's constantly skirting the edge of what you can get away with as a politician and a human being.

#1052 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 15 April 2020 - 12:16 PM

View PostAptorian, on 15 April 2020 - 09:49 AM, said:

Looking up her wikipedia profile she sounds like the typical slimy politician who's constantly skirting the edge of what you can get away with as a politician and a human being.

I just did the same, and agreed. Quite a piece of work.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#1053 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 15 April 2020 - 12:24 PM

Well fuck.

Father in law (the one who broke his ankle) is now in a pre-rehab hospital (like a waiting place) until he can weight bear on his good leg so that he can THEN go to rehab...

4 people have now tested positive for COVID on his floor...which means they are at 'outbreak status', and means that everyone will get tested, and it means his chances of getting it just skyrocketed.

He's in terrible shape in general, so I fear that COVID would be very dangerous for him.

This is all we need....fucking hell.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1054 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 15 April 2020 - 03:41 PM

Here's a question for science nerds here (looking at you gore and Mez)

We're looking at setting dates and stuff for our wedding.
Is next summer madness or will we all be dead or cured by then?

#1055 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 15 April 2020 - 04:36 PM

Next summer as in 2021? That should be fine, I'd imagine. You might want to think of limiting the guest numbers though. You now have a perfect excuse to avoid having to get that annoying aunt or the cousin who gets aggressive when drunk invited.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#1056 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 15 April 2020 - 05:26 PM

View PostMacros, on 15 April 2020 - 03:41 PM, said:

I think you may run into stuff, stiff competition for dates in 2021 bc everyone trying to get hitched this year is moving to next year. I'd lean towards 2022 if you want a big wedding.

A vaccine is still maybe a year or so away.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#1057 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 15 April 2020 - 05:36 PM

Can’t be predicted, might be all over by than others we might be in wave three. I’d say book it and get some kind of insurance coverage. Vaccine is probably at best a minimum of twelve more months.

#1058 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 15 April 2020 - 06:59 PM

One point that has been driven home for me, and there really isn't much argument against it; there are a lot of dumb-fuck governors in office, mostly in the South (shocker that one right?Posted Image). With that, not so revelatory epiphany; Trump is dimmer than them all.

#1059 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 15 April 2020 - 07:48 PM

View PostTraveller, on 15 April 2020 - 08:37 AM, said:

We have a young guy (20s) in recovery after he rolled his car yesterday and broke his leg. His CT scan for his chest/ribs show that his lungs have exactly the same anomalies as covid lungs.

He has had no symptoms, no problems and apart from the fracture he's fine. He's being swabbed, but from his lungs it looks like he's positive.

I wonder just how many people have this and don't know, and won't know either.

Not quite comparable, but here in Germany they did a study in Gangelt (the town that was hit first and hardest in Germany) and it has shown that while about 5% of the population of Gangelt had been known to have/have had it after having been tested due to showing symptoms, overall about 15% of the town's population had actually had it by now. Now, that doesn't mean the 10% that had not been aware of having had it was completely asymptomatic; they may just have had very mild symptoms - the official press conference presenting the study didn't offer any info on that. Also, statistically speaking there were way more people tested in Gangelt in relation to the town's population than overall in Germany, so it's not really indicative of what percentage of people has actually had it in the country. But it's still an interesting number and the overall percentage of yet unknown cases elsewhere is probably even higher considering Germany is supposedly testing more than a lot of other countries per 1M people.

All that said, there were 43% percent more people out and about during the Easter weekend than two weeks ago just now. This could negate all the gains we've made here in the past weeks but hey, at least people got to see family and enjoy the sun, I guess...

This post has been edited by Puck: 15 April 2020 - 07:53 PM

Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#1060 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 15 April 2020 - 08:57 PM

Absolutely impossible to say. If they don't find a vaccine we could be looking at massive amounts of mortality, healthcare system collapse and/or Great Depression Mk II.

Alternatively science could save us all.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

Share this topic:

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users