Malazan Empire: COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV) - Malazan Empire

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV)

#1001 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 10 April 2020 - 04:47 AM

I hope the pandemic stud is Temporary. Ready to be put back in place if needed but the glass and little openings in my mind are something I associate with trashy areas that high crime rates. I hate it, also truthfully outside of pandemics it’s not necessary.

That said hopefully this teaches government the pandemic response plans are not a waste of time, my biggest worry is now in addition to the TSA we must battle with some ridiculous health version of them too, temperature checks and such. Which would be fine if they actually worked.

#1002 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 10 April 2020 - 04:49 AM

View PostBriar King, on 10 April 2020 - 04:33 AM, said:

Like I don't think kids would give a shit about handshakes becoming bad form cause they don't do this generally I observe unless an older person has initiated the gesture. It's going to be us that would have to break the cycle imo but fuck I mean it is instinct to reach out and grip your friends hand and try to take it off in a friendly manner.

One of my formative experiences as a child was reading that the practice in many Asian countries of bowing (similar to the way people used to do in England and much of Europe) instead of shaking hands leads to less sickness and more exercise (though I'd suppose it might depend on how vigorously you shake hands and how many hands you shake per a given unit of time). Consequently I developed my own methods of bowing (loosely inspired by a mix of European flourishes and Asiatic mudras) and continually improvised... until I got tired of people trying to challenge me to protracted bowing contests. I do still like to improvise new (yet generally still comprehensible) gestures for greetings and partings (with the world and history as partial inspirations, but trying not to exactly mimic any particular culture that I know of).

The world is becoming a better place.

'Dr. Fauci says handshaking needs to stop even when pandemic ends—other experts agree'

https://www.cnbc.com...r-pandemic.html

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 10 April 2020 - 04:52 AM

#1003 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 10 April 2020 - 12:12 PM

I've always disliked shaking hands. I exclusively fist bump people — and some people would sneer at me like I was a hooligan. NOW WHO'S THE HOOLIGAN, YA DISEASE-SPREADERS?

#1004 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 10 April 2020 - 12:38 PM

No handshakes here, a full blooded headbutt is the greeting of choice

#1005 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 10 April 2020 - 02:18 PM

View PostBriar King, on 10 April 2020 - 04:23 AM, said:

Yep.

It’s just some interesting though certainly very eerie things to think about for the future. Once again I’m think about 1918...what is different? The lack of survivors in present day but people living today(our age) odds are had those people in our life likely. The lack of the net? I mean shit has happened since then. Swine/bird flu. That caused a fraction of the panic Corona has unleashed. Is the media fear stoking to blame this time? Why not then to this lvl?

One of the hard things about tracking pandemics is that confirming that the disease is there in a person requires a test to be done and many times, there's either not enough tests or people die before they're done and the cause isn't really known. The bodies pile up and we have to move on to the people who are still alive.

In the approximate year that it was ripping through people (2009-2010), the most recent H1N1 (swine flu) pandemic killed anywhere from 150,000 to 500,000 people worldwide. It was not a small thing. In about 2 months, COVID-19 has killed approximately 100,000 (confirmed) and likely at least double that in unconfirmed deaths. The US is projected to have at least 100k as a single country - and likely even more than that, which would put the effects in the US at roughly equal to what H1N1 did all over the world.

The hospitalization rates and the mortality rate (the likelihood of having to stay in a hospital to get better and the likelihood that this will kill a person) seem to be much, much higher for COVID-19.

The media is absolutely not stoking fear because they want money or because this is bullshit. The 1918 H1N1 pandemic killed anywhere from 20 million to 50 million people (some researchers say 100 million). COVID-19 is more infectious by a wide margin and appears to be more dangerous as a virus, even with the massive leaps in treatment, technology, and understanding of how pandemics work. We may not have 20+ million deaths today from this, but that's only because the staff at hospitals worldwide are putting forth heroic efforts to keep people from dying.

COVID-19 is already being compared seriously to the 1918 H1N1 pandemic and the Black Plagues by those who are experts in this stuff. That should make us extremely angry at the Fox News idiots who say this isn't a big deal.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#1006 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 10 April 2020 - 02:26 PM

This article is a week old (so the 4,000 people who died then in the US have now grown to more than 10,000), but it does a good job of explaining what the models actually say (point us to the range of outcomes possible if we take all the actions possible to make things better, only some action, or no action): https://www.theatlan...e-right/609271/

Wear masks, stay home as much as possible, plan for this to stretch into the late summer, and protect yourself, BK. If you're the one doing errands for everyone, you're increasing your personal risk enormously and playing that roulette isn't going to end well for you or yours.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#1007 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 10 April 2020 - 05:41 PM

My heart goes out to all the seniors in high school. Traditionally this weekend or next weekend would have given them so many important experiences; experiences from which a foundation is being laid that will help direct them down their future paths. You just know some seniors with that 'don't give a fuck' attitude are pulling something together regardless. We could hear epic tales of senior parties, that happened during the pandemic, years from now. (if there are years from now).

#1008 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 10 April 2020 - 08:50 PM

#1009 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 11 April 2020 - 12:23 AM

'First Yanomami Covid-19 death raises fears for Brazil's indigenous peoples

Acutely vulnerable population at risk as wildcat miners in Amazon reserve suspected as source of infection that killed 15-year-old

[...] The teenager's death has rekindled painful memories for the Yanomami as well as fears over the coronavirus's potential to wreak havoc on indigenous communities across South America.

Carlo Zaquini​, an Italian missionary who has worked with the Yanomami in Brazil for more than half a century, watched Yanomami communities brought to their knees during the 1970s and 1980s by epidemics caused by an influx of roadbuilders and gold miners.

"It was like driving a bulldozer into a glass factory. Everything was shattered. It was one epidemic after another," Zaquini, 82, remembered of that period.

"In some of the villages I knew measles killed 50% of the population. If Covid does the same thing it would be a massacre," he added.'

https://www.theguard...razl-indigenous

Posted Image

'With powwows cancelled, Indigenous dancers share videos of themselves dancing in isolation'

https://thestarphoen...obox=1586479098

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 11 April 2020 - 12:24 AM

#1010 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 11 April 2020 - 07:21 AM

Sheesh America becomes first country to have 2000 deaths in a day...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#1011 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 11 April 2020 - 07:40 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if it's 5000 a day within weeks if the states don't contain it. So many mixed messages being sent on a state and national level.

Likely the number of deaths are even higher since things are being labeled as pneumonia, heart attacks, etc.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 11 April 2020 - 07:40 AM

#1012 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 11 April 2020 - 09:19 AM

Ugh
I finally snapped with the guy from work, he keeps sending me conspiracy shit. Covid is all a hoax, the numbers are being made up, they're tagging every body as Covid19 to bump the numbers up, political agenda.

Fuck me.

There's 100,000 confirmed deaths, let's face it, China's numbers are false and there's a load of deaths that haven't been caught, the real numbers could easily be double that. How many bodies do you want I asked him. He then proceeded to cite garbage from some American 'doctor' that said it's not serious bla bla bla.

I told him to ring the doctor to get some fucking medication cause he's cooked in the head, and while he's at it yet the doctor to explain to him why he's cooked in the fucking head, and stop fucking texting me.

Fuck me

#1013 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 11 April 2020 - 04:29 PM

Not sure if the virus manifests in a way that has some people going mental, or maybe it's just the stress of it all, but I saw a guy, at a major intersection (no apts. or housing around), crossing the street with full on balaclava heist mask, carrying a hand basket like you use at the groceries for small items (it was full of who knows what Posted Image), wearing shorts.... and here's the kicker: he wasn't wearing any shoes or socks. And the asphalt was doing a number on his feet. He was doing that sensitive dance you see people do when they go to the beach and walk on sand that is too hot. I thought he wasn't going to make it across before the walk/don't walk light turned, but he got across just in time.

#1014 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 11 April 2020 - 05:53 PM

'How a Pandemic Rescued the Political Image of Ireland's Leader

Leo Varadkar is winning praise after reactivating his registration as a medical doctor and heading to the coronavirus front lines.

[...] Dr. Varadkar, 41, is winning praise for his energetic handling of the crisis. He canceled St. Patrick's Day festivities, oversaw an aggressive early testing program, closed pubs and schools earlier than other European leaders and has spoken to the public about the contagion in honest, humane terms — in other words, like the general practitioner he once was.'

https://www.nytimes....pgtype=Homepage

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 11 April 2020 - 05:53 PM

#1015 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 11 April 2020 - 05:55 PM

Pity he's still a fruitloop and a shill for the banks.

#1016 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 12 April 2020 - 02:04 AM

Uh-oh, my boy is at risk ...

https://www.betootaa...omes-overnight/

;)
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#1017 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 12 April 2020 - 03:54 AM

'This week, Covid-19 passed heart disease and cancer as the leading cause of death per day in the United States.'

https://kottke.org/2...fNlKKb38go1jTHA

#1018 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 12 April 2020 - 06:29 AM

The media are finally reporting the dwindling supplies of anaesthetic drugs.

Doesn't matter how many vents you've got if you can't keep people asleep...
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#1019 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 12 April 2020 - 08:04 PM

'CDC Study Shows Coronavirus Can Live on Floors, Shoes'

https://www.thedaily...-shoes?ref=home

Droplets usually fall to the ground....

People with pets or children who crawl around should probably be especially concerned about tracking it inside. Cat Chompula could get it on her paws, then give me a nice deep scratch....

#1020 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 13 April 2020 - 05:53 AM

'Study: Nearly a third of Americans believe a conspiracy theory about the origins of the coronavirus

The Pew survey asked 8,914 American adults whether they believed the current strain of the coronavirus "came about naturally, was developed intentionally in a lab, was made accidentally in a lab, or doesn't really exist." [...] Only 43 percent chose "came about naturally," while 23 percent of those surveyed said the virus was manmade intentionally. Another 6 percent said it was created accidentally, and 1 percent said the virus didn't actually exist.

[...] Polling suggests the people most likely to believe coronavirus conspiracy theories are also the people most likely to be in danger from the virus. [...] respondents with a high school diploma or less education, as well as respondents identifying as black and Latinx, were more likely to believe humans made Covid-19. Given the systemically unequal, sometimes horrifically racist history of health care in the US, it's little wonder minorities might distrust the things scientists and health officials tell them about the virus.

But this systemic inequality, combined with inadequate government preparation and protection, means that these are the populations most likely to die from exposure to the virus.'

https://www.vox.com/...V9Yzjpd8mfaCurc

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 13 April 2020 - 05:53 AM

Share this topic:

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users