Malazan Empire: COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV) - Malazan Empire

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV)

#1021 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 13 April 2020 - 05:10 PM

I'm just reading some trade news. US academic labs trying to help with covid PCR testing to increase test numbers have failed because they can't find a way to ensure the billing goes to the right insurer.

Good times.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#1022 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 13 April 2020 - 05:52 PM

My terminally ill mother in law's house is about to run out of masks for the PSW's to wear (the PSW company does not supply them...I'm unsure why)....and there aren't any to be found to purchase. So that's fun...my niece knows someone where the masks are made who MIGHT be getting some to give to us...but who knows when that will be. So basically my mother in law will be unprotected from the may different PSWs that will be coming to look after her...I fear this will spell her end. We've already had one PSW leave off sick...we don't know if she has covid...and of course the govt refuses to test her. IT's not that she's coming back in the house...it's that she could have already infected her.

This is a shit show.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 13 April 2020 - 05:52 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1023 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 13 April 2020 - 06:33 PM

New normal: Businesses that do work in residences (i.e. electricians, roofers, plumbers et al.), put in their commercials that their workers will wear masks and gloves and disinfect anything they touch inside the house.

#1024 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 13 April 2020 - 10:01 PM

Pastor dies from COVID after holding packed services despite restrictions.

https://www.news.com...005ad3814249f53
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#1025 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 14 April 2020 - 04:57 AM

This thing where sets of US States are forming blocs to collectively deal w the virus and eventual reopening and the Fed Gov can go fuck itself ... wow.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#1026 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 14 April 2020 - 05:54 AM

View PostTsundoku, on 13 April 2020 - 10:01 PM, said:

I was thinking the other day. It’s sad that even the Kaaba in Mecca is closed but here in the us apparently it’s poor faith to suspend church services. These people are insane.

A priest that risks death knowingly to tend the sick and give last rights to the dying is noble. A priest that just says god protects fuck science and rational thinking is sad.

#1027 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 14 April 2020 - 12:37 PM

"Dear NHS, this is all your fault. Love, Matt Hancock"

Can't make it up really can you

Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#1028 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 14 April 2020 - 12:43 PM

View PostCause, on 14 April 2020 - 05:54 AM, said:

I was thinking the other day. It’s sad that even the Kaaba in Mecca is closed but here in the us apparently it’s poor faith to suspend church services. These people are insane.

A priest that risks death knowingly to tend the sick and give last rights to the dying is noble. A priest that just says god protects fuck science and rational thinking is sad.

I saw some news report of them interviewing people who broke quarantine to go to church, and this woman talked over the reporter with the repeated phrase "I'm covered in Jesus blood! I'm protected by being covered in Jesus blood!" and drives off...

These people are clinically insane. Ask Jim Henson how it worked out for him letting "god" cure his Christian-Scientist-ass of the flu...narrator: It didn't. He still died needlessly.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 14 April 2020 - 12:43 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1029 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 14 April 2020 - 01:52 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 14 April 2020 - 12:37 PM, said:

He actually said that?
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#1030 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus

Posted 14 April 2020 - 01:55 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 14 April 2020 - 12:43 PM, said:

I saw some news report of them interviewing people who broke quarantine to go to church, and this woman talked over the reporter with the repeated phrase "I'm covered in Jesus blood! I'm protected by being covered in Jesus blood!" and drives off...

These people are clinically insane. Ask Jim Henson how it worked out for him letting "god" cure his Christian-Scientist-ass of the flu...narrator: It didn't. He still died needlessly.

Didn't he stop with that whole thing long before he died? I thought he did.

#1031 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 14 April 2020 - 02:03 PM

View PostPrimateus, on 14 April 2020 - 01:52 PM, said:

View PostMaark Abbott, on 14 April 2020 - 12:37 PM, said:

He actually said that?

No, but he did make some ridiculous comments about shortages of PPE being down to staff wasting the equipment.
- Wyrd biđ ful aræd -

#1032 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 14 April 2020 - 02:11 PM

View PostPrimateus, on 14 April 2020 - 01:55 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 14 April 2020 - 12:43 PM, said:

Didn't he stop with that whole thing long before he died? I thought he did.

Who, Henson? Not really. He had a bacterial infection that spread/changed into a terrible pneumonia, and only relented in going to the hospital at the end when it was far too late. Multiple abscesses in his lungs...you don't get to that stage without having ignored all your previous symptoms, and as far as I know his move away from Christian Scientist beliefs that "god will save you if you're ill and meant to live" was too late and the tenets were buried so deep in him since childhood that he was always flippant about visiting doctors. I forget where I read or heard that from people who knew him closely that he was frequently ignoring his own exhaustion and illnesses...and they felt that stemmed back to his indoctrination.

At any rate, Jesus blood isn't about to save that stupid southern lady from COVID-19.

#1033 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus

Posted 14 April 2020 - 02:26 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 14 April 2020 - 02:11 PM, said:

At any rate, Jesus blood isn't about to save that stupid southern lady from COVID-19.

Oh yeah hell no.

Let's hope she's not actually using real blood. I'm sure people like that exist.

#1034 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 14 April 2020 - 02:51 PM

If she was I'd want to know where she got the Jesus blood, how did it survive for 2000 years?

In a ziplock bag?

#1035 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 14 April 2020 - 02:56 PM

I think she probably just had a bit too much wine and biscuits at the alter.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 14 April 2020 - 02:56 PM

#1036 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 14 April 2020 - 05:53 PM

I think the mindset is shifting to one of people trickling out to gather. Over the weekend I saw a group of bikers gathered together at a Kum & Go (a popular convenience store chain in America). And they weren't the Sons of Anarchy types. They were the successful, middle age, professional type who take up motorcycle hobby for the coolness factor. Must have been about around a dozen of them gathered together, filling up their hogs and setting out for a day ride. This is gradual at the moment, but I anticipate it will increase in the days/weeks ahead.

#1037 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 14 April 2020 - 06:04 PM

That trickle back to congregation is how we get second waves.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#1038 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 14 April 2020 - 06:24 PM

Agree. Most experts say there will be another punch in the autumn, let alone that they also predict numerous waves are a likelihood.

#1039 User is offline   Tavvar 

• Sergeant

Posted 14 April 2020 - 08:02 PM

I saw upthread that there was discussion on what is different between COVID and SARS/MERS/H1N1. 538 took a look at what's different: https://fivethirtyei...s-or-swine-flu/

Basically COVID is the perfect storm of factors to be a problem: asymptomatic spread, long amount of time asymptomatic, and it kills enough people to be scary, but not enough to die out. If you were a virus and wanted to survive as best as possible, you'd want to have COVID's traits.

#1040 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 14 April 2020 - 08:43 PM

What we need is more guanidine thiocyanate. Stockpile the hell out of that compound. It's all they've been asking us for in the past week. Scouring the lab fridges for it.

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 14 April 2020 - 08:44 PM

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

Share this topic:

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users