Malazan Empire: COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV) - Malazan Empire

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV)

#981 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 08 April 2020 - 03:36 PM

View PostGorefest, on 08 April 2020 - 02:48 PM, said:

View PostMentalist, on 08 April 2020 - 03:00 AM, said:

Back in the days of the SARS scare, my mom had to wear full protective gear all the time.

The fact that they aren't doing any extra precautions now makes her (and the rest of the staff) feel like everything about the lockdown is just induced hysteria.

I'm not agreeing with her, but I'm not arguing with her to say that she's wrong, either.

I'll happily do it for you if it helps: she is wrong. This is worse than SARS. Much worse. Not so much in deadliness when you do contract it, but it is massively more infectious. I'd strongly urge them to get themselves sorted out or you will have hospital staff dropping like flies.

I mean, the point is: she feels they should have more protection. But the higher-ups are saying, "no, we don't need any extra precautions"

Which (in her mind) runs counter to pretty much everything everyone else is being told via the lockdown
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#982 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 08 April 2020 - 04:04 PM

View PostCause, on 08 April 2020 - 12:31 AM, said:

Also the music thing sounds ridiculous to me, I personally don’t visualize viruses in musical notes. An electron microscope or a crystal structure would be preferable

If it's anything like the "turn the sounds recorded by a space probe into music so you can listen to Jupiter" things that have been done before, then yes it's ridiculous and total bullshit.

View PostBriar King, on 08 April 2020 - 03:01 AM, said:

Consider me very surprised....I didn’t have to leave today. But fuck I feel like shit today. Getting out of bed wasn’t cool! All achy with sniffles for 47 mins after waking up. Felt better after it stopped then 2 hrs and 18 mins later my energy lvl just plunged and I really didn’t move again for about 3 hrs and 6 mins to fix some coffee and open the garage door so old man could put the boat up after fishing. Felt fine for 2hrs. Back to no energy with a newly sore throat and rasping cough. Do I have the corona?

Fuck I hate overthinking all this shit! There are gonna be so much mental help needs once we get back to normal I think.

You might! You might not! Try not to breath at anybody! ^_^

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#983 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 08 April 2020 - 08:26 PM

got an update from City rec dept. closures will continue until July 3rd at least.

My early June hearing's looking to be scrapped/re-scheduled.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#984 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 08 April 2020 - 11:21 PM

Epidemiologist.

Every time I read that word in an article I stop and keep saying it out loud until I am satisfied I am pronouncing it correctly. Yeah I know, goofy, but it's one of those strange ticks people have, and this is how it manifests to torture me (difficult sounding words). I obsess and have to get it close enough to my satisfaction. I still have difficulties with it. And believe me, this is a curse, reading MBotF has almost broken me at times.

#985 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 09 April 2020 - 02:54 AM

Posted Image

'Several Grocery Workers Exposed to COVID-19 Have Died
Many grocery workers have been demanding better, safer conditions. This is why.'

https://www.eater.co...er-joes-walmart

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 09 April 2020 - 02:55 AM

#986 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 09 April 2020 - 03:33 AM

'A white Baltimore police officer was caught on camera intentionally coughing on black people standing outside of a public housing complex

[...] What prompted this attack? A black woman committed the criminal offense of...pointing her cellphone camera at him and essentially saying, "Hello."

"Hey, Officer Friendly, with the cherry cheeks," the woman said, only to find that the officer wasn't so friendly and that all he had in his cheeks were bad intentions.'

https://www.theroot....kLC547a-VdXqJ8c

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 09 April 2020 - 03:33 AM

#987 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 09 April 2020 - 03:46 AM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 08 April 2020 - 04:04 AM, said:

'Televangelist Says COVID-19 Can Be Destroyed With "The Wind of God"'

I just found out he is most likely the wealthiest religious leader in the United States (well, maybe not counting Trump, etc.). $760 million....

But he's donating... his wind....

#988 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 09 April 2020 - 03:53 AM

You forced my hand. And aligns well with the "wind" topic.

#989 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 09 April 2020 - 06:16 AM

View PostMalankazooie, on 09 April 2020 - 03:53 AM, said:

You forced my hand. And aligns well with the "wind" topic.

'Your Poop Might Be Key For Predicting the End of the Pandemic

On March 5, there had not yet been a clinical diagnosis of COVID-19 in Amersfoort, a Dutch city of more than 150,000 people to the east of Amsterdam. But underneath Amersfoort's streets, dotted with Medieval buildings, the sewage pipes containing people's fecal matter told another story.

[...] In Boston, a company called Biobot, in collaboration with researchers at MIT, just completed a similar study. On Tuesday, they published (also in a preprint paper) the stunning fact that the amount of virus they observed in wastewater was much higher than they expected it to be based on the number of confirmed cases in the Boston area. The amount of virus they saw would suggest that about 5 percent of all fecal samples were positive for the virus, while the reported number of infections was only at .026 percent of the population during the same period[...]

Our pee and poop contain a lot of information, Mariana Matus, the CEO and co-founder of Biobot, said, and could be a critical factor—in tracking the true number of COVID-19 infections, which areas are most affected, and deciphering when the virus has actually disappeared from our communities.

"It's an invaluable source of information about human health, because we're all using the toilet on a daily basis," she said.

[...] And if COVID-19 turns out to be seasonal, returning in the fall, wastewater could be an indicator to tell if the outbreaks are starting to climb back up.'

https://www.vice.com...of-the-pandemic

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 09 April 2020 - 06:17 AM

#990 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 09 April 2020 - 07:00 AM

The government is spying on our poop!

#991 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 09 April 2020 - 07:51 AM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 09 April 2020 - 02:54 AM, said:

Posted Image

'Several Grocery Workers Exposed to COVID-19 Have Died
Many grocery workers have been demanding better, safer conditions. This is why.'

https://www.eater.co...er-joes-walmart

On the one hand I can see her point on the other hand what’s the alternative. The elite are not going to the grocery store. Regular people are.

#992 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 09 April 2020 - 08:47 AM

Amongst all this, let's not forget for one second how lacking in resources our NHS now is, and who to thank.

Also Herd immunity bullshit delay will push us to be the league leaders

#993 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 09 April 2020 - 12:16 PM

View PostMacros, on 09 April 2020 - 08:47 AM, said:

Amongst all this, let's not forget for one second how lacking in resources our NHS now is, and who to thank.

"Ow can ewe say this about are bojo, top lad are bojo, got are best inchres at art e duz"

- Half of social media right now

Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#994 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 09 April 2020 - 01:38 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 09 April 2020 - 12:16 PM, said:

View PostMacros, on 09 April 2020 - 08:47 AM, said:

"Ow can ewe say this about are bojo, top lad are bojo, got are best inchres at art e duz"

- Half of social media right now

Anyone ever read the book "Favourite Son" by Steve Sohmer, or watched the 1988 mini series? I'm getting series flashbacks to that every time someone rallies round the flag because BoJo got a cough. Probably
exacerbated by all the brandy and cigars at his Club.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 09 April 2020 - 01:39 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#995 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 09 April 2020 - 02:03 PM

View PostBriar King, on 08 April 2020 - 06:35 PM, said:

17,030 cases, 652 deaths, 1,983 in hospital 490 on ventilators, 63 of 64 parishes infected with the corona 191 in mine and now up to 4 deaths with 11 total deaths in my 5 parish division.

I’m still so pissed off they didn’t give these peoples zip codes so people could temp avoid the local hotspots in the beginning of local outbreak.

The zip codes don't matter that much because this stuff is almost everywhere. Any time you go out is a risk and we should be acting accordingly.

Do you have a washable cloth mask for going out? A folded up cotton shirt is a decent make do solution.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#996 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 09 April 2020 - 08:52 PM

@BK

You expecting her to do her whole "head spinning 360 degrees and puking pea soup" thing?

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 09 April 2020 - 08:52 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#997 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 10 April 2020 - 01:08 AM

View PostBriar King, on 09 April 2020 - 11:44 PM, said:

18,283 cases, 702 deaths, 2,014 in hospital 473 on ventilators 63 of 64 parishes infected with the corona 209 in mine.

Watching the numbers so closely is only gonna make you more anxious tbh.

#998 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 10 April 2020 - 03:34 AM

View PostBriar King, on 10 April 2020 - 03:24 AM, said:

Tell y'all what throws me off (even though I'm glad these businesses are giving these employees some extra protection) is seeing the steadying increase of newly installed windows dividing what has always for my area anyway been open air at gas stations and fast food joints. Got some McD's with daughter today and it was just so strange being handed our order out of this rather tiny bottom opening.

How lasting will this be? Will we look back 10 yrs from now and barely be able to remember this or we will still be getting our food out that tiny opening 50 yrs from now? What about 100 yrs from now? I'm looking at you 1918. We all got or should have gotten that in history class in high school. I know I did. What is different from 1918 to 2020? We knew about germs at that point. Will giving a firm handshake just become bad form before the end of the year? Will everyone never leave their house without a bottle of Germ X in their pockets?

Even better if the glass is bulletproof too. (And hey, that's something for the economy to do to improve the world while so much else is hibernating.)

#999 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 10 April 2020 - 03:52 AM

View PostBriar King, on 10 April 2020 - 03:24 AM, said:

How lasting will this be? Will we look back 10 yrs from now and barely be able to remember this or we will still be getting our food out that tiny opening 50 yrs from now? What about 100 yrs from now? I’m looking at you 1918. We all got or should have gotten that in history class in high school. I know I did. What is different from 1918 to 2020? We knew about germs at that point. Will giving a firm handshake just become bad form before the end of the year? Will everyone never leave their house without a bottle of Germ X in their pockets?

Here in NY, I am preparing for a July/August end to my working from home and social distancing. I am worried that it will stretch into September and October.

I anticipate a second surge once the "data looks good" and the fuckin' GOP propaganda of "it's fine, young people don't get this" becomes too tempting for people to resist.

I don't know how bad it will be in Louisiana, but about 800 people died today in NY from identified COVID-19 causes. There are more who died without that confirmation.

Things are getting very, very bad and people all across are not taking this seriously enough.

We need to wear cloth masks everywhere now. Handshakes are dunzo for a long time. I know kids can't really resist contact, but adults absolutely should be keeping away from contact.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#1000 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 10 April 2020 - 04:17 AM

I think handshakes and any form of social contact as a greeting is going to become taboo. Don't know about larger gatherings. Personally I'm anti-social and introverted so this is like a breeze for me but human beings are social animals. We like to gather in parks, cafes, concerts, etc. You can't ban that without 2020 becoming an experiment in social deprivations.

Even in a library I can definitely see rules being implemented. Sneeze guards at the desks. Frequent desanitation of hands maybe even banning the handling of the books unnecessarily. This will be an excuse to buying robots to replace the workers retrieving or replacing books from our shelves. Hell, the ebooks that have been killing out budgets will likely explode, like they're already doing this past month.

Share this topic:

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users