Malazan Empire: Game of Thrones: Final Season - Malazan Empire

• 37 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Game of Thrones: Final Season /spoilers!!!!

#61 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 18 April 2019 - 08:36 PM

@pg: Yup that sounds like the likeliest reason.

This post has been edited by worry: 18 April 2019 - 08:36 PM

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#62 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 18 April 2019 - 08:38 PM

Maybe the reasons Targs do incest in the first place is to maintain the fire immunity, and that origin has just been lost to custom as the generations have passed?
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#63 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 18 April 2019 - 08:53 PM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 18 April 2019 - 08:36 PM, said:

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 18 April 2019 - 05:55 AM, said:

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 18 April 2019 - 01:53 AM, said:

Jon could attempt to test / prove his Targaryan ancestry---by mastering the riding of dragons, or (since Targs are apparently always fire-immune in the show, though not in the books) by burning. (Actually, if he can be set on fire without being injured, that could be a decent battle-plan... just douse him and Daenerys in oil, light them on fire, and catapault them at the undead hordes.)

Jon doesn't have the fire immunity - his hand was burned when he threw the lantern on the wight at the wall defending the Lord Commander.

Guess it's probably just Daenerys (post-hatching) then; fire immunity could mess up a lot of Targaryen history (several having died by fire) which HBO is iirc going through for spin-off series. Not sure what to make of her comment, after her brother's death, 'He was no dragon. Fire cannot kill a dragon.'

Heat resistance is a Targaryen trait in the books though... and one that Daenerys has in the show before the sorcery (assistant telling her 'the bath is too hot' but she's fine). 'Okay Jon, put your junk in the hot springs....' Not sure how far that resistance goes---perhaps a medieval-style public licking of white-hot iron?...

Then again, it's possible that the showrunners just dgaf about issues of consistency that probably aren't immediately obvious to the casual viewer.

Maybe some magic is needed and needs to be invoked to trigger a firewall, similar to how "warging" is an explicitly triggered act.

#64 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 18 April 2019 - 11:13 PM

Who thinks we see a UN- direwolf ? Night-Wolf !
-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#65 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 19 April 2019 - 02:25 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 18 April 2019 - 05:22 PM, said:

The informative thing here are the people on thread letting us know what they think of strong, capable, clever female characters who take no shit... are apparently being "smug".

Fucks sake.

Sansa raised vitally important questions like “How are we going to feed this massive army?” and “What happens for the rest of winter if we use up our supplies too quickly?” and “Why do you expect Cersei to actually help you fight the White Walkers?” and “Why do you expect Northern lords to follow a Targaryen, anyway?”

These are war basics that the rest of the room was apparently ignoring.

there also really aren't any alternatives to put forward

Jeezus...It's not the place of the individual asking the questions to offer up the answers to the King (Jon) and Queen (Dany) who MAKE THE DECISIONS. She's bringing them up because no one else has and they are IMPORTANT. She's calling into question the leaderships lack of awareness of base tactics/logistics in the war to come. And even THEN Jon and Dany don't answer and sort of just go for a dragon ride.

Giving her the role of smugly telling people what they already know..

Bullshit. If they already knew then they would have had answers for her. They didn't. So they didn't know. So she's being an informative part of the hierarchy of command...that's not smug, that's just being intelligent and important.

This is no different than what's been said about female characters for years by men afraid to allow women to be what men have always been. I wager if this was a dude who said and did what Sansa said and did, we would not be having this conversation about "smugness" and that's sad.

She's apparently "smug" while he's just being "matter-of-fact"...or some such nonsense.

If you knew there was no food for an army that is going to suffer heavy losses anyway, would you want the army, or to just lose? If you knew someone was going to probably betray you and attack your flank, but your flank was irrelevant because you could not survive the frontal attack without full commitment, would you protect the flank and lose to the night king? And if you knew the north would not accept a foreign queen, would you choose to fight alone instead of with a way bigger army, dragons, dragonflies and hurt feelings or not?

Jon knows food supplies are short. The wall had the same problem and the same solution, most of those hungry mouths will die anyway. No one in the seven kingdoms trusts Cersei, but deal or no deal they would be leaving their flank open.

Sansa is not pointing out vital overlooked issues. She is very publicly calling out decisions that were made when there were no realistic alternatives. And in doing so adding to the acrimony between north and Dany (and Jon), when she could be putting it out.

Pointing these out doesn't make you strong. It makes you a clumsy plot device to maintain tension between characters and remind viewers how long the odds are. And they could have done more with her character. They've given Sansa two real moments in 7 plus seasons, first bailing Jon out by asking Baelish for help, and then having Baelish executed. Hopefully soon they have her finding solutions to these issues and covering Jon's blind spots rather than complaining about things that can't change and had to happen.
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#66 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 19 April 2019 - 04:04 AM

Show writer explains the significance of the spiral pattern (we saw the Children of the Forest using it in one of Bran's visions---beyond that, sort of spoilers, insofar as they accurately describe the NK's motivation in using it, but don't spoil future events):

https://nypost.com/2...t-hyped-reveal/

#67 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 19 April 2019 - 04:11 AM

Dragon riding might be enough to prove Jon's Targaryen ancestry:

'"Only Targaryens can ride dragons, and that should be a sign for Jon," series co-creator David Benioff says in the post-Episode 1 mini-doc. "It's a major thing for her when she sees they have some kind of connection to him. They allow him to be around them."'

https://www.inverse....n-deleted-scene

*Only* Targaryens? Really?...

Tbh I hope they didn't waste too much money on 'Jon shows off his dragon riding' type things. Better as a VR game... like:

https://www.youtube....h?v=gWLHIusLWOc

Edit: New York Times reports: 'David Benioff, one of the showrunners, said in an "Inside the Episode"segment that "only Targaryens" can ride, which is a departure from the books and the show's own history-and-lore segments. This could be a retroactive continuity change, or more likely, Benioff meant in the present show story line, since right before that he said, "No one's ever ridden a dragon except for Dany," and that doesn't cancel out her ancestors. Still, the idea that dragon-riding is proof of a Targaryen bloodline persists, and how that plays out in "Game of Thrones" remains to be seen.'

Also: 'Because of this bond, a dragon will accept only one rider, although it will accept a new one after the original rider dies.' https://www.nytimes....n-jon-snow.html

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 19 April 2019 - 04:17 AM

#68 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 19 April 2019 - 07:09 AM

So the Night King is a Targaryan, according to Benioff?
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#69 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 19 April 2019 - 07:36 AM

No, that dragon is a zombie and is under the command of it's necromancer.

#70 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 19 April 2019 - 09:27 AM

View PostGorefest, on 19 April 2019 - 07:09 AM, said:

So the Night King is a Targaryan, according to Benioff?

That's been a fan theory for a bit I think - iirc correctly, it's that he's a son of Bloodraven (I think this is show only, not in the book timeline). And it also sets the distinction between show Night King and the Night's King from The Long Night, who I think was supposed to be a Stark? Someone with a better memory/grasp of ASOIAF lore might need to correct me though!

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 19 April 2019 - 09:27 AM

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#71 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 19 April 2019 - 01:11 PM

View PostNevyn, on 19 April 2019 - 02:25 AM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 18 April 2019 - 05:22 PM, said:

The informative thing here are the people on thread letting us know what they think of strong, capable, clever female characters who take no shit... are apparently being "smug".

Fucks sake.

Sansa raised vitally important questions like “How are we going to feed this massive army?” and “What happens for the rest of winter if we use up our supplies too quickly?” and “Why do you expect Cersei to actually help you fight the White Walkers?” and “Why do you expect Northern lords to follow a Targaryen, anyway?”

These are war basics that the rest of the room was apparently ignoring.

there also really aren't any alternatives to put forward

Jeezus...It's not the place of the individual asking the questions to offer up the answers to the King (Jon) and Queen (Dany) who MAKE THE DECISIONS. She's bringing them up because no one else has and they are IMPORTANT. She's calling into question the leaderships lack of awareness of base tactics/logistics in the war to come. And even THEN Jon and Dany don't answer and sort of just go for a dragon ride.

Giving her the role of smugly telling people what they already know..

Bullshit. If they already knew then they would have had answers for her. They didn't. So they didn't know. So she's being an informative part of the hierarchy of command...that's not smug, that's just being intelligent and important.

This is no different than what's been said about female characters for years by men afraid to allow women to be what men have always been. I wager if this was a dude who said and did what Sansa said and did, we would not be having this conversation about "smugness" and that's sad.

She's apparently "smug" while he's just being "matter-of-fact"...or some such nonsense.

If you knew there was no food for an army that is going to suffer heavy losses anyway, would you want the army, or to just lose? If you knew someone was going to probably betray you and attack your flank, but your flank was irrelevant because you could not survive the frontal attack without full commitment, would you protect the flank and lose to the night king? And if you knew the north would not accept a foreign queen, would you choose to fight alone instead of with a way bigger army, dragons, dragonflies and hurt feelings or not?

Jon knows food supplies are short. The wall had the same problem and the same solution, most of those hungry mouths will die anyway. No one in the seven kingdoms trusts Cersei, but deal or no deal they would be leaving their flank open.

Sansa is not pointing out vital overlooked issues. She is very publicly calling out decisions that were made when there were no realistic alternatives. And in doing so adding to the acrimony between north and Dany (and Jon), when she could be putting it out.

Pointing these out doesn't make you strong. It makes you a clumsy plot device to maintain tension between characters and remind viewers how long the odds are. And they could have done more with her character. They've given Sansa two real moments in 7 plus seasons, first bailing Jon out by asking Baelish for help, and then having Baelish executed. Hopefully soon they have her finding solutions to these issues and covering Jon's blind spots rather than complaining about things that can't change and had to happen.

None of this knowledge you say Jon posseses was discussed on the show. It is a leap to assume that he has this knowledge in terms of how TV works. If it's not said onscreen, it might not exist.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#72 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 19 April 2019 - 06:07 PM

Ok, another idea that has been ping-ponging around my head has to do with the scene between Theon and Yara. After Yara recognizes that Theon wants to go to Winterfell to fight.

Yara - You want to go to Winterfell to fight for the Starks. Go. What is dead may never die.
Theon - What is dead may never die.
Yara - But kill the bastards anyway.

So a couple of things. She's obviously referring to the Night King and the white walkers. And that phrase (what is dead may never die) is a salutation commonly used among the Ironborn. But I was wondering if there is some subtle foreshadowing there? This last season of the show has been replete with internet predictions about who will still be standing at the end. Do you guys think this scene says anything about Theon's chances? Nothing major to get occupied by, just some additional musings jumping around in my head, something to chew on as it were, so don't feel to obligated to answer.Posted Image

#73 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken

Posted 22 April 2019 - 02:27 AM

That reveal!!!

Holy fing shit was callous as shit. Like Jon Snow say something nice ...after that ..

And I love this guy...

Attached File(s)

-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#74 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken

Posted 22 April 2019 - 02:30 AM

Too much humor ... everyone’s dieing

Aryas secret note was apparently... sex.

#75 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 22 April 2019 - 02:44 AM

Posted Image

#76 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 22 April 2019 - 02:51 AM

I knew it was going to be Pod to break into song. But damn though guys, can we talk about the the scene where Jaime knights Brienne?! Don't look at me! some dust just blew into my eye is all.

#77 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 22 April 2019 - 03:56 AM

I haven’t had a chance to watch these yet!!!!!!!!
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#78 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken

Posted 22 April 2019 - 04:17 AM

View PostSlow Ben, on 22 April 2019 - 03:56 AM, said:

I haven’t had a chance to watch these yet!!!!!!!!

Why are you in here !!! (Lol)

#79 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken

Posted 22 April 2019 - 04:18 AM

Yesssssss ( i May have been drink and have been not drinking)

Attached File(s)

#80 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 22 April 2019 - 04:56 AM

View PostMalankazooie, on 22 April 2019 - 02:51 AM, said:

I knew it was going to be Pod to break into song. But damn though guys, can we talk about the the scene where Jaime knights Brienne?! Don't look at me! some dust just blew into my eye is all.

Is there a music category for these kinds of songs.
Very little music accompaniment, mostly human voice, not but high whatever those opera arias are. (and in english and not italian or french or german )

Share this topic:

• 37 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users