Malazan Empire: Game of Thrones: Final Season - Malazan Empire

• 37 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Game of Thrones: Final Season /spoilers!!!!

#101 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 24 April 2019 - 08:37 AM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 24 April 2019 - 07:34 AM, said:

Ep2 was considerably better than Ep1. Whilst the two least bearable characters trying to have a heart to heart (more like a smug to smug, topkek) was relatively dire, the return of Brienne was great in every way, and especially at the end. Unfortunately, a death flag has tripped, which is kinda poop because she's consistently been a character whose segments I've looked forward to.

Still, roll on next week where stuff can start to happen. I get buildup, but if it goes Stormlight on me and builds for ages to naught but a wet fart, I shall be miffed.

She has Oathkeeper. I think she will hold.

Interesting that the night king is not visible. Maybe this is a fient.. Or maybe he will surprise with his intentions.
I wish they had developed his character more. He is too much of an easy bugaboo.

#102 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 24 April 2019 - 08:39 AM

It's cuz he probably already is halfway across the continent near King's LandingPosted Image
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#103 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 24 April 2019 - 12:46 PM

View PostGorefest, on 24 April 2019 - 06:25 AM, said:

Either that, or the Night King simply flies past Winterfell and straight on to King's Landing.

^^This.

This is the Night King's plan.

Send his forces to Winterfell, while he flies his dragon to King's Landing where he can slaughter/recruit the entire Golden Company (20,000 men, horses and war elephants)...turn around and head back to pincer whosever's left....
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#104 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 24 April 2019 - 01:38 PM

Would be pretty cool if Dany walks out on Jon, heads south to take the throne, to find Kings Landing is already fallen.

Kinda just like that scene from the (tv) prophecy, of her walking through a snowy throne room.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 24 April 2019 - 01:38 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#105 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 24 April 2019 - 02:51 PM

Let's face it, Westeros is F'ed. All hail the eternal night. To be honest, I still think that the books will show that there is no clear fire/ice dichotomy and that it was all one massive misunderstanding, with the Walkers actually being the good guys who are pissed off by the humans breaking ancient truces. But the tv show only has limited knowledge and guidance so they've gone down the more traditional good vs bad path and now find themselves stuck. so they'll have to kill everyone, destroy most of the world and then orchestrate some sort of final desperate stand scenario which will see Jon and (remaining) friends prevail and start rebuilding a desolate wasteland. World reset button, repeat in 10,000 years.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#106 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 24 April 2019 - 03:19 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 24 April 2019 - 12:46 PM, said:

View PostGorefest, on 24 April 2019 - 06:25 AM, said:

Either that, or the Night King simply flies past Winterfell and straight on to King's Landing.

^^This.

This is the Night King's plan.

Send his forces to Winterfell, while he flies his dragon to King's Landing where he can slaughter/recruit the entire Golden Company (20,000 men, horses and war elephants)...turn around and head back to pincer whosever's left....

If he can animate/control the dead wherever he goes... what happens to FrankenGregor?....

Can the Red Keep withstand dragon fire---or whatever the undead dragon breathes? Did the Targaryens build bomb dragon fire shelters?

#107 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 24 April 2019 - 04:14 PM

Great ep... just moments after moments people have been waiting years to experience. I enjoyed even if much of it was heavy handed.

Just guesses, but going into the Battle of Winterfell, i figure Sam, Gilly, little Sam, Pod, Berric, Grey Worm, Edd, Varys, and at least one dragon are dead meat next ep.

Other than the dragon, their narratives have pretty much hit a point where their deaths hit maximum feels with little impact on the bigger story revolving around key characters.
Honestly, not much Sam can do from here on is going to top “Everyone seems to forget I’m the first one to kill a White Walker.”.

Decent chance of Brienne, Tormund, Theon, Davos buying it too. They all had their moments, especially Brienne.

Gendry has to live to sort out the House Baratheon mess.

Jaime... either lives to confront Cersei or dies to add weight to when Tyrion does... not sure.

Jorah... tough call... killing him would prompt significant reaction from Dany. Good chance he dies, a dragon dies, and she fucks off to make a run at the Throne before Jon can.

Lyanna Mormont... THEY DO NOT FUCKING DARE TOUCH ONE HAIR ON HER HEAD OR EVERYONE RIOTS.

Ghost... they could off Ghost just to save a few bucks on the CGI budget.

Sansa, Arya, Jon, Dany, Tyrion, Bran are all untouchable.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#108 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 25 April 2019 - 12:18 AM

I think things are gonna feel rushed in the end. Which is a wierd. Choice. Since they cut down the. Episodes but could be a budget thing

#109 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 25 April 2019 - 01:19 AM

Ok guys, I just checked my programming grid, and the next episode is almost 90 min long. So, is this supposed to be the longest battle ever committed to film we were promised or is this just the appetizer for what's to come? *evil finger tapping Posted Image

#110 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 25 April 2019 - 04:28 AM

View PostCause, on 25 April 2019 - 12:18 AM, said:

I think things are gonna feel rushed in the end. Which is a wierd. Choice. Since they cut down the. Episodes but could be a budget thing

They have been telling that Winter is coming, and apparently when it comes it last for six episodes.

On the other hand, working for a living, that is never ending :-)

#111 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 25 April 2019 - 07:09 AM

View Postnacht, on 24 April 2019 - 08:37 AM, said:

View PostMaark Abbott, on 24 April 2019 - 07:34 AM, said:

Ep2 was considerably better than Ep1. Whilst the two least bearable characters trying to have a heart to heart (more like a smug to smug, topkek) was relatively dire, the return of Brienne was great in every way, and especially at the end. Unfortunately, a death flag has tripped, which is kinda poop because she's consistently been a character whose segments I've looked forward to.

Still, roll on next week where stuff can start to happen. I get buildup, but if it goes Stormlight on me and builds for ages to naught but a wet fart, I shall be miffed.

She has Oathkeeper. I think she will hold.

Interesting that the night king is not visible. Maybe this is a fient.. Or maybe he will surprise with his intentions.
I wish they had developed his character more. He is too much of an easy bugaboo.

We'll see. I'm hoping she survives but the knighting was a huge, huge flag.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#112 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 25 April 2019 - 07:15 AM

http://youtu.be/0cJFjLoiSOc

This post has been edited by Tiste Simeon: 25 April 2019 - 07:15 AM

A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#113 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 25 April 2019 - 08:41 AM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 25 April 2019 - 07:09 AM, said:

We'll see. I'm hoping she survives but the knighting was a huge, huge flag.

Nah man, she just leveled up. She's super-saiyan now. Gonna cut a trail clean through the zombie wright hordes.

#114 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 25 April 2019 - 02:55 PM

Curious to see how the production handles the actual battle...

Is the Vale's army still there?

Unless i'm mistaken dragonglass is useful against Walkers but not more effective against the dead than anything else, so those spiked battlements and fancy axes aren't going to give anyone an 'edge' when the endless wave of screaming clawing corpses comes blasting along.
I'm expecting Dany's Unsullied to be kind of ineffective against the dead. Long stabby spears and phalanx or shield wall tactics do not seem like they will be effective when your enemy just takes the hit and pulls itself up the spear to claw your face off.

The Northmen should be ok as far as the actual soldiers/warriors go, but the 'we're not soldiers' dudes are going to break like wet paper bags. Dothraki... could go either way. They're used to deserts and plains, not snowy hills, but that may be a detail too far for the show to go.

I dunno, but maybe a crypt full of bodies isn't the bestest place to be when you're fighting guys who raise the dead. It may be just an assumption that the Walkers have to kill people before they raise them. On the bright side maybe we'll get to see Ned and Robb again ;)

Really the only way to win this is to target the Walkers whenever possible so the dead they control drop. Again, wondering whether the writing team goes that route. It would be sort of silly if they didn't considering that was Jon and co's entire tactic when they went beyond the Wall last season. They flat out stated their whole plan is to nail the Night King for that very reason, so it's not like they don't know this already 'in world'.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#115 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 25 April 2019 - 03:06 PM

View PostAbyss, on 25 April 2019 - 02:55 PM, said:

I'm expecting Dany's Unsullied to be kind of ineffective against the dead. Long stabby spears and phalanx or shield wall tactics do not seem like they will be effective when your enemy just takes the hit and pulls itself up the spear to claw your face off.

Shield wall + swords to chop off their legs maybe (a Roman tactic iirc)? Long stabby spears to immobilize, then swords to hack (Unsullied spear them, Dothraki chop them?)... or spears + fortifications + fire, if they could keep the fire from... back-firing....

#116 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 25 April 2019 - 03:25 PM

Unless i'm mistaken dragonglass is useful against Walkers but not more effective against the dead than anything else, so those spiked battlements and fancy axes aren't going to give anyone an 'edge' when the endless wave of screaming clawing corpses comes blasting along.

'Just like the White Walkers, wights can also be killed permanently by weapons made of dragonglass.'

https://gameofthrone...com/wiki/Wights

They kill the wight they bring to King's Landing by stabbing with a dragonglass dagger.

Too bad, the leg-chopping strategy conjures the image of a huge mass of legless wights crawling over each other towards them, as they hack away at them... or have the Dothraki horses trampling and hacking them to bits that keep crawling at them and attacking (that seems worth an extra hundred million dollars or two)....

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 25 April 2019 - 03:30 PM

#117 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 25 April 2019 - 03:43 PM

Is the Vale's army still there?

Should be. We saw Royce in the last episode conversing with Sansa when they got interupted by Dany. so if Royce is there then surely the Vale army will be there.

Flaming spears, though! Dip the heads in tar and light them, stabby stabby burn burn.

I dunno, but maybe a crypt full of bodies isn't the bestest place to be when you're fighting guys who raise the dead. It may be just an assumption that the Walkers have to kill people before they raise them. On the bright side maybe we'll get to see Ned and Robb again ;)

Wasn't Ned just a collection of bleached bones, though? Not sure if they can anatomically reform from a pile, might be a stretch even for a White Walker.

Really the only way to win this is to target the Walkers whenever possible so the dead they control drop. Again, wondering whether the writing team goes that route.

I seem to recall that's almost literally what one of the characters in the first or second episode said. So I'm sure that will be the strategy that they go with. Also, lots and lots of fire. They can just burn down most of the wights before they even reach the walls. Although the end of the last episode seems to indicate that they were riding out to meet the oncoming zombie horde....?

#118 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 25 April 2019 - 03:52 PM

View PostGorefest, on 25 April 2019 - 03:43 PM, said:

Also, lots and lots of fire. They can just burn down most of the wights before they even reach the walls. Although the end of the last episode seems to indicate that they were riding out to meet the oncoming zombie horde....?

'The living are not going to hide behind Winterfell's walls, nor should they. The White Walker army is at least 100,000 strong, and wight soldiers unburdened by their own safety would easily swarm the castle and overrun it. Winterfell's forces will instead meet them in the field from a fortified position. They have built a massive, spiked trench they will turn into a ring of fire. This will help stop the wights, but not the White Walkers themselves. (We saw the Night King easily pass through fire outside the Three-Eyed Raven's cage.) They also have catapults to shoot balls of fire into the dead, and caltrops (those big, static wooden Xs) to slow them down. Brienne also said they are fighting on "good ground," and Winterfell's elevated position should give them an advantage.'

https://nerdist.com/...interfell-plan/

Posted Image

#119 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 25 April 2019 - 03:55 PM

Ah, neat.

#120 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 25 April 2019 - 05:23 PM

Have to imagine a decent portion of the living army is going to freeze up, defect, or in a few cases even opt for suicide (uh oh!) when they see the actual undead arriving in person. Like that dude getting soup.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

Share this topic:

• 37 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users