• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 19 February 2019 - 05:28 PM

and also, fuck resellers.

#43 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 19 February 2019 - 07:58 PM

No idea how far from London it is. What would an uber or taxi cost to get there and back?

But def expensive as I said.

#44 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 04 March 2019 - 11:02 AM

I have always wanted to see the HMS victory. To do this Ill need to take an entire day and go to Plymouth. Or I can see the Cutty Sark in London. Obviosuly the time periods are difference and the one is a warship and the other one was a cargo vessel for tea. So can I substitute the Cutty sark or should I try go to Plymouth.

I read about sailing ships and they look awesome but perhaps one sailing ship will serve as well as another to give me a sense of the scale of these wooden sailing ships or perhaps their is no substitute for a centuries old and storied warship.

#45 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 04 March 2019 - 01:59 PM

View PostCause, on 04 March 2019 - 11:02 AM, said:

I have always wanted to see the HMS victory. To do this Ill need to take an entire day and go to Plymouth. Or I can see the Cutty Sark in London. Obviosuly the time periods are difference and the one is a warship and the other one was a cargo vessel for tea. So can I substitute the Cutty sark or should I try go to Plymouth.

I read about sailing ships and they look awesome but perhaps one sailing ship will serve as well as another to give me a sense of the scale of these wooden sailing ships or perhaps their is no substitute for a centuries old and storied warship.

Don't go to Plymouth if you want to see the HMS Victory, you'll be a good 150-200 miles out. It's in Portsmouth. London to Portsmouth is about two hours by train. Portsmouth has a fucking TON of naval history if you're interested.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#46 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 04 March 2019 - 02:44 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 04 March 2019 - 01:59 PM, said:

Don't go to Plymouth if you want to see the HMS Victory, you'll be a good 150-200 miles out. It's in Portsmouth. London to Portsmouth is about two hours by train. Portsmouth has a fucking TON of naval history if you're interested.

Chiming in. While I've not seen it, my father went to see the HMS Victory and he LOVED the whole experience, and he's not even really a naval or ship guy. So, worth it?
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#47 User is offline   Messremb 

• Honorary Symp of High House Mafia
  • High Artificer of Team Quick Ben

Posted 04 March 2019 - 09:42 PM

I started replying about how the Victory was really boring then realised I meant the Mary Rose next door - which, I gather, has emerged from the constant water spray over the past 20 years since I visited and looks like more than a pile of soggy wood so is probably a lot better these days.

If you like naval history do Portsmouth. Victory, Warrior, Naval Museum, Mary Rose. If you'd rather not travel then London has the Sark, Belfast, Wellington etc. You can walk the decks on tours either way.

Consider your plan when you decide - do you want an entire day of nothing but ships or would you prefer to do a ship in the morning and something else in the afternoon for a couple of days?
"see that stranger's arm crushing the life from him - do you understand? Not an eternal prison for Messremb"

#48 User is offline   Messremb 

Posted 04 March 2019 - 10:08 PM

View PostCause, on 16 January 2019 - 09:16 AM, said:

Things to do:

1) Help Tiste solve a murder and impress the other detectives. Repeatedly say 'we are too old for this shit'. Celebrate a successful case by going to a nearby PUB and 'cracking open a cold one'

A room temperature one is so much better. Americans chill their 'beer' so they can't taste that is is urine.

3) London Ferris wheel

If you're doing the Eye consider the aquarium right next door.

4) Stonehenge

Bit meh to me - did it with the wife a few years ago. Having been, I would not pay to get in. We got in free through corporate membership.

5) Changing of the guard

What is the obsession of people with this? It's a bunch of blokes in furry hats stomping round for a few minutes.

6) Go to a castle, which one?

Something more (dare I say it) touristy - at least then it is maintained to a decent standard. Windsor is excellent but I'll gladly second the Tower. Make your choice though - weekend and hordes of kids or week and hordes of school trips.

7) Go to a museum about medieval England

Castles will cover this pretty well. Natural History and the Science are the museums you should visit. Don't mention the movie "One of Our Dinosaurs Is Missing" to NH museum staff. British Museum is well worth a trip round too.

8) Go to a PUB, master darts

Good luck. After a few pints I am quite capable of getting a rebound off the board wires into the back side of a beam directly above my own head. It is a rare skill and utterly terrifying.

Will Easter be crazy crowded?

Oh dear god yes. Especially if there is a hint of sun. Do not come to this country in any school holiday.

See if you can get on a tour of Tower Bridge too. Imperial War Museum is a good one too. If it is your thing try the Victoria & Albert. Lambeth Palace? See what is on at the Royal Albert Hall? St Pauls or Westminster Abbey? London Zoo? Camden Market? Check the match schedules and go to Lords for a day?
"see that stranger's arm crushing the life from him - do you understand? Not an eternal prison for Messremb"

#49 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 05 March 2019 - 04:45 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 04 March 2019 - 02:44 PM, said:

View PostMaark Abbott, on 04 March 2019 - 01:59 PM, said:

Chiming in. While I've not seen it, my father went to see the HMS Victory and he LOVED the whole experience, and he's not even really a naval or ship guy. So, worth it?

Can't say, never went. But I've heard good things about it. My wife used to live about ten minutes from it in our student digs.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#50 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 05 March 2019 - 12:32 PM

Things to do:

4) Stonehenge

A bit tricker to get to - but Avebury is another stone circle site which is infinitely better, and has its own on site museum and manor house etc. And will not rip you off anything like as much as Stonehenge - which I echo others in saying is largely disappointing and definitely overpriced, but you're paying for the fame and for it being English Heritage's flagship site (and that hugely underwhelming fancy new visitor centre a mile away from the site.... sigh!)

6) Go to a castle, which one?

7) Go to a museum about medieval England

Agreed with what others have said - castles will cover this for you. Most of the castles I like are way up north so might be a bit far!

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 05 March 2019 - 12:34 PM

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#51 User is offline   Messremb 

Posted 05 March 2019 - 01:08 PM

Avebury seconded but yes it is a pest to get to - means visiting the hole that is Swindon too most likely (as an escapee I can say that.) You can touch the stones, climb the banks, sit on the Devils Chair too. If you hire a car to get there you should do a white horse or two on the way. Also the Red Lion pub in the centre used to be half decent.

#52 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 05 March 2019 - 02:23 PM

View PostMessremb, on 05 March 2019 - 01:08 PM, said:

means visiting the hole that is Swindon too most likely (as an escapee I can say that.)

Who do I need to blame for the horror that is the Magic Roundabout?

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 05 March 2019 - 02:24 PM

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#53 User is offline   Messremb 

Posted 05 March 2019 - 05:45 PM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 05 March 2019 - 02:23 PM, said:

View PostMessremb, on 05 March 2019 - 01:08 PM, said:

means visiting the hole that is Swindon too most likely (as an escapee I can say that.)

Who do I need to blame for the horror that is the Magic Roundabout?

The French, according to local lore. Generally it is quicker to go the wrong way round if you're doing anything other than the next exit. Or the County Ground side generally. Unfortunately near to me Colchester has one too except theirs has hilly roundabouts so you can't wing it wherever there is a gap because you can't see a gap.

#54 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 05 March 2019 - 06:22 PM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 05 March 2019 - 12:32 PM, said:

Things to do:

4) Stonehenge

A bit tricker to get to - but Avebury is another stone circle site which is infinitely better, and has its own on site museum and manor house etc. And will not rip you off anything like as much as Stonehenge - which I echo others in saying is largely disappointing and definitely overpriced, but you're paying for the fame and for it being English Heritage's flagship site (and that hugely underwhelming fancy new visitor centre a mile away from the site.... sigh!)

While I was able to enjoy Stonehenge when I visited (2009), I freely admit that part of that was only because we had it bundled in with a trip to Lacock village, and as such the afternoon bus tour price was...fine. But yes, Stonehenge, while impressive is very touristy, hard to get decent pictures of with so many people around it constantly, and the "velvet ropes" that keep you about 50 feet from any part of it. I found a way to enjoy it by sitting back from the crowd on the grass, and just drank it in...but I'd have gone to Avebury first in a heartbeat if we could have arranged getting there in the time we had (we were in Somerset for a wedding the next day, so it only made sense to fit the henge into that part of our UK trip as Wiltshire is what...like 1.5hrs away?).
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#55 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 05 March 2019 - 06:25 PM

Lacock is another lovely spot too :) Wiltshire is one of my favourite parts of the country.

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 05 March 2019 - 06:25 PM

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#56 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 13 March 2019 - 09:54 AM

Hi Guys

so the friend I'm staying at has moved into her permanent home. I was gonna use amazon.uk to deliver a house warming present but the more I think about it the more I'm worried about getting the wrong item, difficulty with returns etc,etc. Last I spoke to them I know they are short of a microwave and a pots and pans but everyday things could change.

Is there perhaps a particular good chain of stores that deal with home wear that I should give them a gift card to instead? Maybe bundle that gift card with an actual gift of food or something since gift cards can be sucky gifts sometime.

#57 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 13 March 2019 - 10:08 AM

Most big supermarkets sell reasonable priced kitchen stuff like Tesco and ASDA or if you're going for vouchers/gift cards Argos might be the way to go.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#58 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 13 March 2019 - 10:19 AM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 13 March 2019 - 10:08 AM, said:

Most big supermarkets sell reasonable priced kitchen stuff like Tesco and ASDA or if you're going for vouchers/gift cards Argos might be the way to go.

Supermarket may be the wrong vibe though. Doesn't have to be very upmarket but a speciality store that specializes in things like towels, linens, pots, pans, knives, coffee tables etc would seem to be the nicer option. They seem to be a big business here in SA (Mr Price Home, @Home etc) I'm sure you have similar stores?

#59 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 13 March 2019 - 10:20 AM

Vouchers for John Lewis always go down well with me. I am ridiculously middle class these days though.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#60 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 13 March 2019 - 10:20 AM

John Lewis is always a good bet: https://www.johnlewis.com/

[edit]Mezla beat me to it.

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 13 March 2019 - 10:21 AM

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users