• You cannot reply to this topic

Identity Politics

#261 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• General Kenobi
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Sith Beatdowns

Posted 20 November 2020 - 05:42 PM

View Postamphibian, on 16 November 2020 - 09:08 PM, said:

Gina Carano is an actor on the Mandalorian. She's hot, she's good at action things, and she's also kinda a QAnon person who talks about it on her social media.

MMA and the sports that compose it (BJJ, striking sports, and wrestling) have a huge problem with the people in them being really prone to falling for and believing heavily in the QAnon stuff. There's a huge element of self reliance, distrust of government, pushing bizarre agendas despite the weight of evidence etc that leads to dumb shit like what Carano is saying over and over.

So is spouting Q nonsense worth demanding that the Mandalorian fire her? I dunno about a firing.. but I kinda agree that she shouldn't be kept on a show if she keeps saying stuff like that. But equating it to the Chinese repression and fitful genocide of the Uighurs is really a stretch.

I think I end up in the realm of "tell her to knock it off, no Q stuff publicly or in her social media" and then fire her if she doesn't abide by that.

Honestly, she even jumped ship to Parler...the right wing "Safest Spacest Shit Ever App" that they went to after they decided that being fact checked by Twitter and FB for conspiracy theory BS was too much for them to handle (funny sidebar, I heard that a. bunch of Camgirls went en masse into parter and took over the right wing hashtags with nudey shots to ruin the safe space....)...

The show doesn't need her if you real life actions are "using her celebrity voice" to *checks notes* dismiss trans people, and participate in mass Trump and right wing delusions...

Just ditch her and cast someone else.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

#262 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 20 November 2020 - 05:48 PM

I'm somewhat for the removal of QAnon people from workplaces, yet aware that the way Hollywood works to preserve existing power structures and casts is not friendly to the idea of removing Carano.

This especially kind of sucks because I'm friends with Julie Kedzie, who fought Carano years ago and there was a lot of mutual support between the two as women fighters. Julie has been super vocal about the heartbreak of realizing that so many of her training partners and opponents were and are shitheads in this way. Carano being a shithead actively hurts my friend due to their previous long time connections, which are now severed.

That's my personal connection to this story.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#263 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Mortal Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 20 November 2020 - 06:25 PM

Forgot to include this: '“The government is taking the land and erasing Mongolian culture entirely, except to have it become a show you’ll see at new tourist attractions they plan to build.”'

Disneyfication....

#264 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• General Kenobi

Posted 20 November 2020 - 06:32 PM

View Postamphibian, on 20 November 2020 - 05:48 PM, said:

I'm somewhat for the removal of QAnon people from workplaces, yet aware that the way Hollywood works to preserve existing power structures and casts is not friendly to the idea of removing Carano.

This especially kind of sucks because I'm friends with Julie Kedzie, who fought Carano years ago and there was a lot of mutual support between the two as women fighters. Julie has been super vocal about the heartbreak of realizing that so many of her training partners and opponents were and are shitheads in this way. Carano being a shithead actively hurts my friend due to their previous long time connections, which are now severed.

That's my personal connection to this story.

Yeah, that's gotta be a bitter pill to swallow with former friends/allies in her career that affect her now.

Brutal.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

#265 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• General Kenobi

Posted 25 November 2020 - 02:22 PM

Speaking about Gina Carano....Parler was apparently hacked and some 5000 accounts, DMs and all of some "well known figures" have been taken...

What are the odds she has some bad DMs in her account and those will see the light of day and Disney will drop her like a hot potato. I would say "high". Either way, a lot of more famous people are all of the sudden going to claim they don't have a Parler account and there are imposters out there...It's like Ashley Madison leak for Nazis!

Attached File  Pler.jpg (99.25K)
Number of downloads: 0

#266 User is online   Incredible Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 25 November 2020 - 03:57 PM

Never heard about Parler before and had to google it.

There's something shady about about having branding that states you're the world's premier free-speech platform. It's so corporate bullshit sounding that you just know everything that gets posted there is being catalogued, datamined and either sold or stored for later use.

Share this topic:

• 14 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users