Malazan Empire: IPCC climate report (& general climate change thread?) - Malazan Empire

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

IPCC climate report (& general climate change thread?)

#1 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 08 October 2018 - 03:11 AM

I don't know that there's anything to discuss, really, but I also didn't know where else to put it. Theoretically it's mitigable, realistically we're not going to do that mitigation.

https://www.vox.com/...ort-1-5-degrees

This post has been edited by worry: 08 October 2018 - 04:46 AM

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#2 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 08 October 2018 - 04:47 AM

Edited the above post, so gotta put the original Tweet in a new one:

#3 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword

Posted 08 October 2018 - 05:31 AM

Current policies = 3.1 - 3.7 °C is really really alarming but not that surprising actually with the current developments.

Good thing Germany gets mentioned. Most of our current government even stopped pretending that they care about climate change. That they wouldn't really try to meet the goals for the reduction of carbon dioxide emissions until 2030 was one of the first things they agreed on in their coalition negotiations.

This post has been edited by - Coltaine -: 08 October 2018 - 05:31 AM

#4 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 08 October 2018 - 07:16 AM

Inb4 conspiracy theorists say 'climet chanj isn't reel'.

We can already see the effects anyway - the violent shifting of the weather between obtusely hot summers and ever more treacherous winters.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#5 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 08 October 2018 - 07:23 AM

Realistically we wont be cutting carbon emission anytime soon.

What the world desperately needs is a way to suck out the carbon we already have put out and will continue to put out.

#6 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 08 October 2018 - 07:54 AM

It feels so frustrating to see the cliff our civilization is headed out over in slow motion. The powers that be either don't care, don't believe or don't have the political/societal capital to do what needs to be done.

It's part of why I don't like our democratic governments. I'd prefer leaders that think in decades and centuries over the coming years budgets and whether they'll get reelected if they make a hard choice.

The whole world could go nuclear and green energy right now but fiscally nobody wants to do what needs to be done. We need a war on climate change. An ecological war economy where trillions get pumped into green initiatives and corporations are harnessed to change the way the produce and consume.

Instead we have Trump who thinks you just need to wash the coal and that windmills are dangerous for wildlife.

#7 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 08 October 2018 - 08:02 AM

View PostCause, on 08 October 2018 - 07:23 AM, said:

What the world desperately needs is a way to suck out the carbon we already have put out and will continue to put out.

I read an article about a month ago about a break through in that regard. We have the science to pull carbon out of the atmosphere and probably other gasses but it's very, very expensive to do large scale.

I want somebody like Elon Musk to create a carbon scrubbing project and make the idea all sexy and Popular on social media.

#8 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 08 October 2018 - 09:16 AM

Carbon capture technology exists. There's a large scale one somewhere in S.America I *think*

#9 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 08 October 2018 - 10:13 AM

View PostMacros, on 08 October 2018 - 09:16 AM, said:

Carbon capture technology exists. There's a large scale one somewhere in S.America I *think*

Are you referring to the Brazilian rain forest! No, that shits got to go. We need those McDonalds burgers. In any event I think that ocean plankton are the worlds biggest producers of Oxygen and sequestration of co2.

#10 User is offline   rant 

• Sergeant

Posted 08 October 2018 - 11:05 AM

The denier discourse is strong in Canada atm (we got pretty close to having a national carbon tax, but half the provinces are now balking. We'll see if the Trudeau Libs keep it as an election plank), and they are consistently using "CO2 is plant food so it can't be bad!!!!". Drives me nuts (short drive). Humans need water, but if there is too much of it we drown.

#11 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 08 October 2018 - 07:44 PM

To that point: I edited the thread title yesterday to be the catchall for climate change discussion & news (I wasn't sure if a thread existed already but I didn't see one), so add to it anything you feel is pertinent (even if it's just more bad news). I'm not a mod/admin so beware of them as you usually do, but if this thread lasts a while and attracts deniers, you won't catch me getting mad if you treat them with the same scorn you'd treat flat earthers, young earth creationists, or those people who have to go around introducing themselves to neighbors every time they move. Posted Image

#12 User is offline   Studlock 

• First Sword

Posted 10 October 2018 - 12:51 AM

The poor of the world are going to suffer the most, as they always do, and those that are most responsible for this ecological disaster will be relatively fine in lieu of revolutionary action. Fuck the people who deny this, and fuck the people who don't, but don't care anyway.

#13 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 10 October 2018 - 02:06 PM

Not 100% on point, but a good opportunity to post one of my favourite newsroom moments:

Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#14 User is offline   Grief 

• Prophet of High House Mafia
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 11 October 2018 - 08:21 PM

View PostAlternative Goose, on 08 October 2018 - 08:02 AM, said:

View PostCause, on 08 October 2018 - 07:23 AM, said:

I read an article about a month ago about a break through in that regard. We have the science to pull carbon out of the atmosphere and probably other gasses but it's very, very expensive to do large scale.

I want somebody like Elon Musk to create a carbon scrubbing project and make the idea all sexy and Popular on social media.

Actively pulling CO2 from the regular atmosphere is generally very inefficient because CO2 is ~410 parts per million. Massive tropical reforestation is pretty much the best bet since tropical rainforest collapses into peat (as opposed to dry forests which burn). Naturally we're going in the opposite direction. On top of which there's likely to be less and less space for these kinds of rainforests as the earth warms.

I'm currently taking a course on climate economics. It's unrelentingly depressing.

Cougar said:

Grief, FFS will you do something with your sig, it's bloody awful

worry said:

Grief is right (until we abolish capitalism).

#15 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 12 October 2018 - 03:06 AM

I thought the rain forest as the world's lung was rejected a long time ago? I remember some class where it was put forth that the rain forest is a closed ecology. The oxygen the forest produces is mostly consumed by the fauna that breaks down all that vegetation.

#16 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 12 October 2018 - 08:55 AM

I think it's more the carbon sink/store front on the forest front.

#17 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 12 October 2018 - 09:23 AM

I have done it! I have solved the global crisis.

We can make dry ice! Dry ice is cold. Its also made from CO2. We can cool the planet and suck out a lot of carbon!

#18 User is online   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 12 October 2018 - 11:31 AM

View PostCause, on 12 October 2018 - 09:23 AM, said:

I have done it! I have solved the global crisis.

We can make dry ice! Dry ice is cold. Its also made from CO2. We can cool the planet and suck out a lot of carbon!

Hello yes I'd like to order one parade please. In honour of Cause. Yes, Cause. Thank you!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#19 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 12 October 2018 - 06:13 PM

A mass extinction would put a lot of carbon back into the ground....

I kind of treat climate change news like Brexit. I ignore it due to the utter helplessness I feel. I recycle, didn't own a car until I was in my 30s, try not be be terribly consumerist, feel bad when I throw lots of plastic away and I have pangs of guilt whenever I don't vote Green. I'm doing my bit.

I read an alarming article about rising sea levels that pointed out that the sheer weight of the polar ice caps depress the earths mantle. So when they melt and the water disperses the mantle will expand displacing even more water. It concluded that depending on which ice cap goes first some surprising places will end up underwater. I didn't retain details, was too miserable.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#20 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 12 October 2018 - 06:28 PM

Denmark is going to get utterly fucked by the rising sea levels. Meanwhile more and more houses are built along out harbor sides and coastline because that's a really smart investment.

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users