Malazan Empire: IPCC climate report (& general climate change thread?) - Malazan Empire

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

IPCC climate report (& general climate change thread?)

#121 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 19 August 2022 - 02:48 AM

View PostMalankazooie, on 18 August 2022 - 06:29 PM, said:

You guys ever just go with a crudité meal? (is it pronounced crew-dee-tay?). I go that option often. Dr. Oz says, thanks to Dark Brandon, shopping for the ingredients is expensive.

Humanity would probably save a lot of energy if we stopped cooking food. (With some exceptions. For example, one of my relatives isn't just vegan---he won't eat anything that's been cooked unless it's only been cooked by the sun. Canned food is probably another exception, as is any process that preserves food for an extended period of time---though IDK what methods of food preservation have the lowest carbon footprint.)

Part of the problem with crudité---and its expense, if not fresh from your own garden---is the need for freshness, and the massive amount of food waste. In net it's usually better to get frozen vegetables---ideally frozen at the peak of freshness. I generally prefer frozen over fresh (at least the 'fresh' available at the supermarket). But freezers do require energy. So what I've been doing for the last few years (since the pandemic started) is sticking to dried vegetables. Add some olive oil, vinegar, and spices and they taste fine. I mix in some nuts and seeds with them as well. That's my dinner almost every day... though today I actually had some raw avocado and peanuts with steamed vegetables and some great Cantonese imitation meat using seitan---didn't just taste remarkably like cubes of white meat chicken (so much so I wondered at first if they had delivered the wrong thing), but tasted significantly better (more flavorful, more interesting (and pleasing) texture...).

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 19 August 2022 - 02:51 AM

#122 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 19 August 2022 - 03:02 AM

'Solar cookers, which can cost as little as $10 a unit for a simple design, easily reach the upper temperatures of pasteurization, and they cook a meal in a few hours[...] people don't have to [travel] miles to get the fuel they need. They simply [...] use the sun -- for free.'

Cooking With Light - How Solar Cooking Works

'Cooking with the sun is easy, when you know how. [...] we've been pioneering solar cooking in the UK. If you can do it here, you can do it anywhere!'

Solar Cooking in the UK

#123 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 20 August 2022 - 12:48 PM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 16 August 2022 - 10:02 PM, said:

View PostMezla PigDog, on 16 August 2022 - 09:31 PM, said:

I've been kidding myself for ages that my version of meat eating isn't as bad for the climate as everyone else's. I've been trying to eat organic, non-intensively farmed meat. Today I read an article by George Monbiot (who I usually try to avoid because his matter of fact dissection of topics around our impending climate apocalypse are so accurate and well researched, I usually wind up wanting to lock myself and child in a car with the exhaust pipe funneled in through a window) where he pointed out my version was the most damaging of all!! Essentially organic pasture fed beef and lamb is the farming method that produces the least protein per hectare of land that could otherwise be used as carbon sinks for temperate rain forest. He calculated the carbon toll of intensively farmed meat and the carbon cost of producing feed for intensively farmed animals too. It was pretty indisputable.

The climate logic of a plant based diet is very hard to ignore. What's everyone else's excuse? I don't have one - I was vegetarian for many years but now I'm not. I'm trying to cut down on animal products but family logistics make it a challenge. And cows and sheep taste so darned good and are so easy to get.

Eating oysters and certain types of seafood (that happen to be among my favorites) is apparently better for the environment than a plant-based diet.

'The simple food that fights climate change

[...] they actively sequester carbon. They can even protect fragile ecosystems by cleaning the water they live in. Welcome to the remarkable and unglamorous world of the bivalve.

[...] Their lowly status, however, perhaps means their potential has been largely overlooked. But as the world attempts to find ways of feeding a growing population with less environmental impact, many experts believe we may need to make these shellfish a larger part of our diet.

[...] "Bivalves have the remarkable potential to provide people with food that is not only environmentally sustainable but also nutrient dense," says David Willer, a zoologist at the University of Cambridge[...]

[...] "[...] the environmental footprint of bivalve aquaculture is even lower than many arable crops in terms of greenhouse gas emissions, land and freshwater use."'

The simple food that fights climate change

Perhaps I should make it clear that I'm quoting the BBC there. It may seem like a fringe idea, but among experts it's (apparently) really not.

Since oysters were an immensely popular staple in the UK, US, and many other places (before wild oysters were overfished), it's plausible that they can become a staple again.

Bivalve farming can also be scaled up to feed mass numbers again. From the Guardian:

'Why oysters, mussels and clams could hold the key to more ethical fish farming

[...] Bivalves are the best option for farming if one chooses to farm and/or eat animals at all. They appear to have minimal ecological impact [...]
...]

[...] scientists predict we will need 70-100% more food to feed an estimated 9 billion people by 2050. [...]

[...] If we continue to mass produce animals[...] They should not require fish feed, should not require conversion of habitat, and should minimize pollution. [...]

[...] bivalves appear to be the most promising in terms of meeting these goals. [...] For the future of aquaculture, we should look toward the half-shell.'

Why oysters, mussels and clams could hold the key to more ethical fish farming | Guardian sustainable business | The Guardian

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 20 August 2022 - 12:48 PM

#124 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 20 August 2022 - 02:06 PM

how do we need 100% more food to feed a population increase of like...15%?

#125 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 20 August 2022 - 04:14 PM

View PostMacros, on 20 August 2022 - 02:06 PM, said:

how do we need 100% more food to feed a population increase of like...15%?

Good question. The article in Science that it's citing is paywalled, but it seems to be basing that figure on the prediction that 'increased wealth[... will result in] higher consumption and a greater demand for processed food, meat, dairy, and fish, all of which add pressure to the food supply system'; partly because 'more than one in seven people today [2010] still do not have access to sufficient protein and energy from their diet, and even more suffer from some form of of micronutrient malnourishment'.

https://www.science....science.1185383

... so if people really do switch from mammal/avian meat and dairy, that number should be drastically reduced. That article's sources for the 70-100% figure are non-paywalled:

World Bank Document

Reaping the benefits: Science and the sustainable intensification of global agriculture

A non-paywalled 2021 meta-analysis in Nature found that 'total global food demand is expected to increase by 35% to 56% [...] while population at risk of hunger is expected to change by −91% to +8% If climate change is taken into account, the ranges change slightly (+30% to +62% for total food demand and −91% to +30% for population at risk of hunger) but with no statistical differences overall.'

A meta-analysis of projected global food demand and population at risk of hunger for the period 2010–2050

A 2022 Unicef report estimates 'The number of people unable to afford a healthy diet around the world also rose by 112 million – to almost 3.1 billion'---though a small fraction of that may be the result of temporary supply chain issues.

The State of Food Security and Nutrition in the World 2022

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 20 August 2022 - 04:15 PM

#126 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 26 October 2022 - 03:15 PM

https://what-if.xkcd.com/53/

Looks idyllic to me.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#127 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 07 April 2023 - 03:21 AM

Some good news, but how long will it keep up before the next lot of droughts?

Utah and California Snowpacks Break All Previous Records–Will Completely Alleviate Droughts

https://www.goodnews...viate-droughts/
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#128 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 23 April 2023 - 11:35 AM

Cheerful :(

UN reports pains grim picture of world’s overall health
Earth is suffering in ways that are unthinkable as every indicator used to measure the overall ill-health of the planet broke new records.

https://www.news.com...c2544bab6151ec1
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#129 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 23 April 2023 - 12:56 PM

Hey parents everywhere

want to be an actual good parent?
Vote out the wankers that keep enabling the bad guys

#130 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 23 April 2023 - 01:59 PM

View PostMacros, on 23 April 2023 - 12:56 PM, said:

Vote out the wankers that keep enabling the bad guys

Not likely to happen to a sufficient extent... (well, not unless AGI (or some other rational agent) effectively conquers the world and 'votes' them out).

At least slightly more likely:

Quantum computers will transform our world, curing cancer and fixing the climate crisis [...]

[...] what if the computers used to develop AI were replaced by ones able to make [at least some] calculations not millions, but trillions of times faster? What if tasks that might take thousands of years to perform on today's devices could be completed in a matter of seconds? [...]

He believes we are about to leave the digital age behind for a quantum era that will bring unimaginable scientific and societal change. [...] Another physicist has likened it to putting "a rocket engine in your car". [...]

The rocket engine of quantum computing will, Kaku says, completely transform research in chemistry, biology and physics, with all sorts of knock-on effects. Among other things, it will enable us to take CO2 out of the atmosphere and turn it into fuel, with the waste products captured and used again – so-called carbon recycling. It will help us extract nitrogen from the air without the high temperatures and pressures that mean fertiliser production currently accounts for 2% of the energy used on Earth, leading to a new green revolution. It will allow us to create super-efficient batteries to help renewables go further (today's lithium-ion batteries only carry about 1% of the energy stored in gasoline). It will solve the design and engineering challenges currently stopping us from generating cheap, abundant power via nuclear fusion. [...]

[...] reality is quantum, and so quantum computers can simulate it in a way that digital ones struggle to. "Mother Nature does not compute digitally," [...] "Quantum computers should [be able to] unravel the secrets of life, the secrets of the universe, the secrets of matter, because the language of nature is the quantum principle." [...] Kaku even reckons that the riddle of ageing will be unravelled so that we can arrest it – one of the chapters in his book is called simply "Immortality".

[...] Some physicists, such as Mikhail Dyakonov [...] believe the technical challenges mean the chances of a quantum computer "that could compete with your laptop" [for general computing?] ever being built are pretty much zero.

Kaku brushes this off. He points to the billions of dollars being poured into quantum research – "the Gold Rush is on" he says – and the way intelligence agencies have been warning about the need to get quantum-ready. That's hardly proof positive they'll live up to expectations – it could be tulip mania
rather than a gold rush. He shrugs: "Life's a gamble."

Physicist Michio Kaku: 'We could unravel the secrets of the universe' | Science and nature books | The Guardian

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 23 April 2023 - 02:00 PM

#131 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 02 July 2023 - 03:46 AM

I'm guessing smog sort of comes under "climate" ...

This Park Air Tower Filters 273 Hot Air Balloons Worth of Polluted City Air per Day in India.

https://www.goodnews...r-day-in-india/

#132 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 26 July 2023 - 08:08 PM

Oh, wonderful ... :(

Threat of climate marker that should be ‘avoided at all costs’
The world is charging directly towards what’s predicted to be a certain climate catastrophe that requires urgent attention.

https://www.news.com...04f2d0ba64d9e48

"Experts have predicted that a devastating climate event with disastrous consequences could unfold as early as 2025 without urgent, meaningful action.

The Gulf System is in danger of collapsing according to a new study in the journal Nature Communications.

If it does the subsequent shutting down of vital ocean currents – Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation (Amoc) – would have catastrophic climate effects.

Rain responsible for growing food for billions of people across India, South America and west Africa would be disrupted, while storms would increase and temperatures would drop in Europe.

The sea level would rise significantly up the eastern coast of North America, and the Amazon rainforest and Antarctic ice sheets would further be endangered."

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users