Malazan Empire: Amazon's new Lord of the Rings TV series - Malazan Empire

• 24 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Amazon's new Lord of the Rings TV series New series will be a prequel set in the Second Age

#61 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 14 March 2019 - 10:45 AM

A little bit more info and you can even vote on who could play Sauron!

https://editorial.ro...-amazon-series/
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#62 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 14 March 2019 - 10:49 AM

I'm voting for Harvey Weinstein.

#63 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 14 March 2019 - 11:25 AM

Now we know why Galadriel drove him away so brutally.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#64 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 14 March 2019 - 05:55 PM

Ooh can we vote for a woman of colour to play Sauron as that would SERIOUSLY annoy the right wing MAGA bellend that get triggered about everything haha
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#65 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 14 March 2019 - 06:02 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 14 March 2019 - 05:55 PM, said:

Ooh can we vote for a woman of colour to play Sauron as that would SERIOUSLY annoy the right wing MAGA bellend that get triggered about everything haha

What's great about Sauron as a character is that there never was a gender associated with the character, or a race, so they can literally cast anyone and it would fit with the narrative! I fully support your casting notion!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#66 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 14 March 2019 - 06:08 PM

Uhh, Sauron is clearly a white Anglo Saxon Aryan blonde Republican NRA member... You cucks.

#67 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 14 March 2019 - 06:17 PM

Robert Bockstael, who did the voice of Sauron on the X-Men cartoon.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#68 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 14 March 2019 - 06:45 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 14 March 2019 - 06:02 PM, said:

What's great about Sauron as a character is that there never was a gender associated with the character, or a race, so they can literally cast anyone and it would fit with the narrative! I fully support your casting notion!

The Big Bad who gets defeated by a bunch of white guys of varying sizes as a woman of color... i think you maybe have the MAGA reaction backwards.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#69 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 14 March 2019 - 06:48 PM

View PostBriar King, on 14 March 2019 - 06:39 PM, said:

Article reminds me why I found Simarillon(whatever it’s called) a snooze fest. I don’t want to read that shit but I ll happily watch it. So I skipped to casting. Redmayne as Elrond? No way. He has grown on me as an actor but I just don’t see it with Elrond.

Jodie Comer would make a perfect Cate replacement if Cate passes but I’d hope only if it didn’t clash with Jodie’s Killing Eve which is fucking awesome.

I want Cate in it, and Hugo or that matter just for consistency that Elves live for like hundreds of thousands of years.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#70 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 14 March 2019 - 06:59 PM

View PostBriar King, on 14 March 2019 - 06:55 PM, said:

It would be the best outcomes yes.

Amazon has nuff doe to fork over to use computers to age them back to 2001 days if people are concerned with that.

Absolutely they do.

Man, with JACK RYAN, GOOD OMENS, and all the other stuff coming from Amazon in the near future...I'm glad I've hung onto my Prime acct!

#71 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 03 July 2019 - 07:33 PM

Big update.

J.A. Bayona (THE ORPHANAGE, THE IMPOSSIBLE, A MONSTER CALLS, er, JURASSIC PARK: FALLEN KINGDOM) will direct the first two episodes.

Gennifer Hutchison (BREAKING BAD, BETTER CALL SAUL) has been added to the writing room.

After a huge battle between Scotland and New Zealand, New Zealand has emerged victorious and the new show - with the working title LORD OF THE RINGS: THE SECOND AGE - will shoot in that country once again. However, production will be based in Auckland rather than Wellington as in Jackson's movies.

Also some clarification: GoT writer-producer Bryan Cogman has joined the show as an advisor and producer, as he was added to the project when writing for the show was already at an advanced stage. He may have an expanded role for Season 2.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#72 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 03 July 2019 - 08:23 PM

Interesting. You'd think Cogman would be busy with his duties fighting Mega Man.

#73 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 04 July 2019 - 08:15 AM

Isn't he desrcribed in cannon as taking on the form of a very handsome elvish or human prince when trying to seduce the elves to make the rings and later to convince numenor to go to war? I mean he could take on the form of a balrog if he wanted but I'm sure he chose to look like a man? Of course that just shows that he made use of the gender disparity in middle earth cultures where the voice of a man would be take more seriously on war councils. Its actually a very powerfull criticism of the times

#74 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 04 July 2019 - 01:19 PM

View PostCause, on 04 July 2019 - 08:15 AM, said:

Isn't he desrcribed in cannon as taking on the form of a very handsome elvish or human prince when trying to seduce the elves to make the rings and later to convince numenor to go to war? I mean he could take on the form of a balrog if he wanted but I'm sure he chose to look like a man? Of course that just shows that he made use of the gender disparity in middle earth cultures where the voice of a man would be take more seriously on war councils. Its actually a very powerfull criticism of the times

He could just as easily have been a princess doing those things though.

I mean, at the end of the day, the gods and demigods are quite specifically not human and so the whole notion of gender becomes kind of meaningless. Doubly so for Sauron who is a balrog.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#75 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 04 July 2019 - 01:26 PM

View PostMorgoth, on 04 July 2019 - 01:19 PM, said:

I mean, at the end of the day, the gods and demigods are quite specifically not human and so the whole notion of gender becomes kind of meaningless. Doubly so for Sauron who is a balrog.

This.

In fact the Valar and the Maiar (of which Sauron is one) are described as draping themselves in the raiment of humanity of their choosing when the are on M.E., so that really means they can just appear as whatever they want whenever they want to serve their purposes. Gandalf (also a Maiar) appears as an old man because he WANTS to appear as an old man.

In The Silmarillion, Sauron is described as being a shape changer, and took many forms, including that of a serpent, a vampire, and a great wolf. After Morgoth's fall, Sauron appeared in fair form as "Annatar", the Lord of Gifts, and maintained this appearance until the Fall of Númenor, in which he was unable to ever take fair form ever again.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 04 July 2019 - 01:31 PM

#76 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 04 July 2019 - 01:58 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 04 July 2019 - 01:26 PM, said:

View PostMorgoth, on 04 July 2019 - 01:19 PM, said:

This.

In fact the Valar and the Maiar (of which Sauron is one) are described as draping themselves in the raiment of humanity of their choosing when the are on M.E., so that really means they can just appear as whatever they want whenever they want to serve their purposes. Gandalf (also a Maiar) appears as an old man because he WANTS to appear as an old man.

In The Silmarillion, Sauron is described as being a shape changer, and took many forms, including that of a serpent, a vampire, and a great wolf. After Morgoth's fall, Sauron appeared in fair form as "Annatar", the Lord of Gifts, and maintained this appearance until the Fall of Númenor, in which he was unable to ever take fair form ever again.

I acknowledge he could look like whatever he wanted but the form he did choose was described as being fair (ie. good looking) and as a lord. Gandalf chose to look like an old man and in the movies they made the bold choice of portraying him like an old man. I realize we all just having fun but I was just pointing out that we do in fact have an idea of what sauron looked like in the second age.

#77 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 04 July 2019 - 02:33 PM

Bold choice of portraying Gandalf the Wizard as a bearded old man with a pointy hat. I mean the complete archetype of a wizard? Bold I say bold!

#78 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 04 July 2019 - 04:03 PM

View PostBfuckinK, on 04 July 2019 - 03:44 PM, said:

Is he really a Bal Rog!? That’s one of the things Rings 1 yeah?

Sauron was not a Balrog.

While the Balrogs were ALSO Maiar (like Sauron was), they were corrupted even before the destruction of the Trees in Valinor. They were in the pits of Angband before Melkor even was referred to as Morgoth.

Sauron was not corrupted from his original "good" form as a Maiar until after Morgoth was dead and gone, and not in the same way.

But in answer to your last comment.... yes, the fire Demon in Moria at the bridge of Khazad Dum, named Durin's Bane, who was "awakened" from a long slumber (since he escaped the War of Wrath during Morgoth's time; and now killed by Gandalf) is a Balrog (likely the last one in Middle Earth).

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 04 July 2019 - 04:06 PM

#79 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 04 July 2019 - 04:08 PM

Man, here was me thinking I was a Tolkien nerd

#80 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 04 July 2019 - 06:05 PM

Balrog was originally M. Bison (a play on Mike Tyson, as he's a boxer) while M. Bison was Vega, and Vega was Balrog.

Share this topic:

• 24 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users