• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dune Remake

#301 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 05 May 2023 - 07:51 AM

Yah, studios are money spinners first, everything else second.
Not just the USA but China are quite averse to the whole jihad concept. So I don't think the suits would be ok with throwing that sort of dialogue around like it was in the book.

Who knows though? Anything is "possible". "Probable" is a different proposition however.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#302 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 05 May 2023 - 04:48 PM

Let's be honest, the only thing the 80s movie had going for it was that no one had ever attempted to make a movie like that before, and also, Sting in a blue plastic codpiece.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#303 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 05 May 2023 - 05:07 PM

View PostAbyss, on 05 May 2023 - 04:48 PM, said:

Sting in a blue plastic codpiece.

That was reportedly HIS idea, and he had to convince Lynch to let him wear it.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#304 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 05 May 2023 - 06:40 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 05 May 2023 - 05:07 PM, said:

This explains Dream Of The Blue Turtles.

#305 User is offline   ContrarianMalazanReader 

• Fist

Posted 05 May 2023 - 07:17 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 05 May 2023 - 05:07 PM, said:

Nobody questions Sting, period.

#306 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 05 May 2023 - 08:58 PM

View Postamphibian, on 04 May 2023 - 04:50 PM, said:

The real world Islamic, Arab, and North African history and influences are very important to the books. Herbert put a lot of work into getting them right (insofar as he was able back in the 50/60s).

People see it as simple window dressing because most put absolutely no work into understanding the history and culture of that region.

I read dune 20 years ago in high school and I cant remember if it was just before 9/11 or after but I don't remember ever connecting the two during my reading of the novel. That said the Jihad in the books is defintiyl more akin to a holy war than it is a struggle against oprresion or to better oneself. They murder millions across the galaxy and create a one party, one religion theocratic dictatorship.

I cant say if I caught everything in my read but the real word connections are quite clear however when you say its more than window dressing I am asking for an example. When does a character behave as a muslim/arab/north african nomad might as opposed to have a Fremen might? Zensunni philosophy is obviousy a mix of zen budhism and Sunni religious beliefs and yet I dont recall it ever been examined in any serious detail but I admit again its been 20 years.

Ill be perfectly happen if they leave out the space rabbi and space jews from dune though for no other reason than that I found that entire plot point just both incredibly odd and boring.

As an aside my biggest surprise from the movie was how obsessed people became with the Sardakaur after some throat singing. I kept seeing memes on Instagram and youtube anyway. I don't think they got enough screentime for people to care enough honestly.

Late dune series spoilers

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Cause: 05 May 2023 - 09:05 PM

#307 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 06 May 2023 - 11:12 AM

I watched the first film and enjoyed it but wasn't sure what was going on so I recently read all of them including the last 2. If the next one does well they may well do messiah and have to deal with the Scytale/tlelaxu (sp) plotlines which as you say is controversial. Though later books they do get their own back but it won't get that far, god emperor would work too well as a film for example.

#308 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 08 May 2023 - 03:58 AM

Blue codpiece blue codpiece blue codpiece.

#309 User is offline   RealGatekeeper1 

• Recruit

Posted 08 May 2023 - 05:42 AM

I liked the original Dune movie. Though if Bret Easton Ellis would’ve written the script it would’ve made more sense.

#310 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 08 May 2023 - 07:25 AM

View PostAbyss, on 08 May 2023 - 03:58 AM, said:

This reminds me of your Watchmen reaction.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#311 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 08 May 2023 - 08:44 AM

View PostTsundoku, on 08 May 2023 - 07:25 AM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 08 May 2023 - 03:58 AM, said:

This reminds me of your Watchmen reaction.

Incidentally I was hilariously pleased when blue penis appeared in the Watchmen TV show.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#312 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 08 May 2023 - 09:52 AM

Another layer of meaning to "the boys in blue" eh? :police:

#313 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 08 May 2023 - 12:19 PM

View Posttiam, on 06 May 2023 - 11:12 AM, said:

I watched the first film and enjoyed it but wasn't sure what was going on so I recently read all of them including the last 2. If the next one does well they may well do messiah and have to deal with the Scytale/tlelaxu (sp) plotlines which as you say is controversial. Though later books they do get their own back but it won't get that far, god emperor would work too well as a film for example.

I think if PART II is successful, that Villeneuve should do MESSIAH as his trilogy capper. It's a solid break in the series that if we never see another DUNE film, it will make up a solid trilogy.

That said, you could EASILY do CHILDREN OF DUNE and have it be successful....but yeah, GOD-EMPEROR is a hard sell to casual audiences without some deft and large changes to make it more palatable....cause 2+ hours of
Spoiler
may not be a box office winner.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#314 User is offline   RealGatekeeper1 

• Recruit

Posted 09 May 2023 - 02:55 AM

“Money spinners”. Points. So many points.

#315 User is offline   ContrarianMalazanReader 

• Fist

Posted 09 May 2023 - 07:10 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 08 May 2023 - 12:19 PM, said:

View Posttiam, on 06 May 2023 - 11:12 AM, said:

I think if PART II is successful, that Villeneuve should do MESSIAH as his trilogy capper. It's a solid break in the series that if we never see another DUNE film, it will make up a solid trilogy.

That said, you could EASILY do CHILDREN OF DUNE and have it be successful....but yeah, GOD-EMPEROR is a hard sell to casual audiences without some deft and large changes to make it more palatable....cause 2+ hours of
Spoiler
may not be a box office winner.

I've yet to read God Emperor of Dune, but based on several comments I've seen online, they all claim GEOD marks the point where shit gets really fucking weird.

#316 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 19 May 2023 - 01:31 PM

Posted Image

Dune
@dunemovie

Explain Dune in one sentence.

August J. Pollak, But | Dunno, Spo...
@AugustJPollak

In a move so unsurprising there is literally an eons-old galactic prophecy about it, powerful, horny men are unable to peacefully share a planet made of cocaine. @ DUNE @ @dunemovie -

August J. Pollak on Twitter: "In a move so unsurprising there is literally an eons-old galactic prophecy about it, powerful, horny men are unable to peacefully share a planet made of cocaine." / Twitter

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 19 May 2023 - 01:32 PM

#317 User is offline   ContrarianMalazanReader 

• Fist

Posted 29 June 2023 - 04:56 PM

I'm sorry, but I just can't get behind an elderly Christopher Walken as the Emperor.

#318 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 29 June 2023 - 05:06 PM

I wish vehemently that they picked more Arab/North African actors for these movies and the Emperor would have been a plum role for that.

My wacky pick would have been Shah Rukh Khan, who can do a very, very good heavy.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#319 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 29 June 2023 - 05:07 PM

View PostContrarianMalazanReader, on 29 June 2023 - 04:56 PM, said:

I'm sorry, but I just can't get behind an elderly Christopher Walken as the Emperor.

Are we pretending like you've been able to get behind ANYTHING in these movies? I'm old enough to remember you going off about the colour palette in the teaser trailer for the first film, for instance.

----------------

I think Walken looks fantastic and his delivery is as stoic as I've seen him be recently.

View Postamphibian, on 29 June 2023 - 05:06 PM, said:

I wish vehemently that they picked more Arab/North African actors for these movies and the Emperor would have been a plum role for that.

My wacky pick would have been Shah Rukh Khan, who can do a very, very good heavy.

We've been through this pages back....the entire cast is super diverse from varied cultures and countries...the needless desire for it to specifically be cast in focused race ways is silly when the cast is already damned diverse.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 29 June 2023 - 05:09 PM

#320 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 29 June 2023 - 05:12 PM

Amph has a point though. If any big blockbuster movie would have warranted more opportunities for arab and north African actors, Dune is it. At the very least it is a missed opportunity.

Having said that, I am very much looking forward to the next installment and Walken is bloody KVLT with a capital Awesome. He could mumble and drool his way through a scene and it would still be epic.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

Share this topic:

• 17 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users