Malazan Empire: Nintendo Switch - Nintendo's new console/handheld hybrid - Malazan Empire

• 10 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Nintendo Switch - Nintendo's new console/handheld hybrid Now you're playing with... a cheap looking peripheral?

#21 User is offline   Kruppe of Darujhistan 

• Justly Vilified
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Cheating Hood since 1955

Posted 24 October 2016 - 09:22 PM

View Postworry, on 24 October 2016 - 09:12 PM, said:

So any game that makes you say "AAAyyyy, I wish I bought a different game!"

Apparently, well-hyped is twice as important as well-made. It was ever thus.
What is not forbidden is mandatory.

#22 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 24 October 2016 - 09:39 PM

Tell me about it. I bought Fester's Quest for the NES and was regretful within the hour.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#23 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 25 October 2016 - 12:58 AM

View PostSiergiej, on 23 October 2016 - 10:43 AM, said:

I have no idea who this is intended for. It looks uncomfortable for handheld gaming, though to be fair I don't know jack about ergonomics, so maybe it's not that bad. And because it's a goddamn tablet, it will probably not run multiplatform AAA titles. The story they want to spin around this with the video is atrocious.

But that's what I was saying ten years ago about Wii, almost verbatim (minus the handheld part). It taught me to never underestimate Nintendo's seeming insanity and detachment from market reality.

A few years ago I would have agreed with you. However, the Razer Blade Stealth and its Core dock (plus a couple of other, worse implementations by other companies) show that having a competent, small "base" computer which attaches to a dock with its own, more powerful GPU, is entirely possible now. And while that might not be the exact route the Switch is going, it's certainly possible.

Additionally, the Ps4 and the Xbox One are not using top tier components. If you can fit a decent mobile gpu in that tablet (and it's not unreasonable, honestly, given the size of modern modern mobile gpu), it will be just as powerful as the now five year old gpus in the other two consoles (because they were old even before the consoles released).

Ram and a cpu is easy. It's then just a matter of cooling everything. Which, again, could be handled by the dock given you might not be playing games with higher graphical demands on the tablet at all. *shrug*

Plus, I for one don't care about call of duty on this - or any system, mind - I'd rather play the big titles on another console and just have this for the Nintendo goodness... If it's got good ergonomics and isn't obscenely expensive. And that's how they make it work - it might not be the primary console for 90% of the market, but if it's the secondary console for 60% of the market then it's outselling the other two! XD

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#24 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 25 October 2016 - 02:46 PM

Nintendo has no admitted now of the gameplay footage was played on the console and it was all simulated. Telling us not to expect actual game play footage to necessarily look the same!

This post has been edited by Cause: 25 October 2016 - 02:46 PM

#25 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 25 October 2016 - 05:39 PM

Well yeah.

I mean, I assume it was mostly running in a high spec pc dev box. It was the same with all the E3 content of the other two every year - no TV commercial or announcement or gameplay showcase is run on the actual consoles unless specifically stated. XD

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#26 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 29 October 2016 - 08:25 PM

I think the unfortunate lack of success of the vita showed that the world is not interested in a handheld. It's too easy to play games on your phone, which is already with you, to expect people to carry around a gaming console.
Error: Signature not valid

#27 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 29 October 2016 - 09:08 PM

View PostRaymond Luxury Yacht, on 29 October 2016 - 08:25 PM, said:

I think the unfortunate lack of success of the vita showed that the world is not interested in a handheld. It's too easy to play games on your phone, which is already with you, to expect people to carry around a gaming console.

There's plenty of kids who would do this. It's more of a family device than a lone person device, although there's a decent chunk of those who would do that too.

Think car rides over to someone else's house for a party etc.

I get the rationale behind this. Still haven't bought a console since the original Xbox though.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#28 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 29 October 2016 - 09:40 PM

The weak response to the Vita just seems more like the world isn't interested in a non-Nintendo handheld, imo.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#29 User is offline   Itwæs Nom 

• Inquisitor of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 29 October 2016 - 11:31 PM

View Postworry, on 29 October 2016 - 09:40 PM, said:

The weak response to the Vita just seems more like the world isn't interested in a non-Nintendo handheld, imo.

PlayStation Portable was big thing in Czech
All things fall from kings to rose petals

#30 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 30 October 2016 - 07:38 PM

PSP was very successful in general. There Japanese sales alone made it worthwhile.

#31 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 30 October 2016 - 09:10 PM

PSP was a different era, back when everyone didn't already have a smart phone in their pocket.
Error: Signature not valid

#32 User is offline   Itwæs Nom 

• Inquisitor of High House Mafia

Posted 30 October 2016 - 09:27 PM

View PostRaymond Luxury Yacht, on 30 October 2016 - 09:10 PM, said:

PSP was a different era, back when everyone didn't already have a smart phone in their pocket.

Aah, my bad, I got here by accident yesterday and only read the last two comments and not previous context and thought it was a talk about handhelds in general including times past
All things fall from kings to rose petals

#33 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 08 December 2016 - 05:47 AM

Super Mario Run and The Switch was featured on the Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon:

Skip to around 4.50 for the Switch part.

It looks pretty good. I still think the tablet controls look to small and flimsy but if I bought the Switch I would be playing it on a TV anyway probably so that's okay I guess.

#34 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia

Posted 08 December 2016 - 12:46 PM

Haha, I love how much Fallon is completely geeking out.
"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

#35 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 09 December 2016 - 05:39 AM

Nothing suggests they are going to compete with the big 2.

I doubt the Switch will be more powerful than the Wii U. One report I saw compared the processor or graphics unit in it with the power of a PS3 but with something like a tenth of the power consumption. You have to consider that a PS4 or X-One eats a lot more energy than a 3DS for example does. And the Switch is definitely meant to be played on the move.

If the rumors of it being a handheld that you can run mobile games on, the Switch actually starts to make a lot of sense. Consider how the Asian countries and especially Japan have moved away from traditional consoles to primarily playing games on PCs and mobile. Think about how big of a market the Iphone and Android stores are. How much could Nintendo profit by creating a handheld that has it's own super popular exclusive game but also allows the user to play mobile games on it? Imagine the money they could earn if they demanded say 10% of the micro transactions from the millions of free to play games?

This post has been edited by Apt: 09 December 2016 - 05:39 AM

#36 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 12 January 2017 - 06:51 PM

Big info dump coming tomorrow during some special press event. Journalists will finally get their hands on the console and we'll get a ton of early impressions. We'll probably also get price ranges for bundles, the release line-up of games, info about capabilities, specs, etc.

So what are you guys expecting?

There's been a lot of leaks. According to what I've seen the price for the base console without games is 250 USD, which is a pretty attractive proposition. If they release the game with some great first party titles I think I might actually pre-order the damn thing. If nothing else to get my 2D mario fix.

Speaking of games, rumor has it that Zelda: Breath of the Wild will be ready for the release and that their new 3D Mario game probably will also be ready for release. That's basically all the Wii U was missing for it to get a proper start.

#37 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 12 January 2017 - 07:03 PM

Is it still a system that feeds the idea that I should play inside until I have to go outside, and then bring it with me and ignore other humans outside as well? If so, I'm out.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#38 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 12 January 2017 - 07:31 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 12 January 2017 - 07:03 PM, said:

Is it still a system that feeds the idea that I should play inside until I have to go outside, and then bring it with me and ignore other humans outside as well? If so, I'm out.

Do you look at your phone and/or play games on it during a commute or downtime or whatever?

Are you a child who may want to keep playing a game during a long ride somewhere else?

If so, this might not be the horrible thing you speak of. If not, maybe you can see that we're already in the "age where people look at electronic devices all day" and it's still fairly social in the most part.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#39 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 12 January 2017 - 07:50 PM

View Postamphibian, on 12 January 2017 - 07:31 PM, said:

Do you look at your phone and/or play games on it during a commute or downtime or whatever?

Rarely. Very rarely.

Are you a child who may want to keep playing a game during a long ride somewhere else?

This is not something we as a society should endorse. When the kid has to go somewhere, we should not be allowing them to continue their immersion in a game they were playing at home before they left. There are other things to occupy time on long journeys.

If so, this might not be the horrible thing you speak of. If not, maybe you can see that we're already in the "age where people look at electronic devices all day" and it's still fairly social in the most part.

I don't think that's a reason to just allow it to be. Because everyone is addicted to their smartphones, we should just fold up and accept this?

Jeezus.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#40 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 12 January 2017 - 07:57 PM

You mean like a book?

You make it sound like it's some kind of bewitched mirror that the victim can't drag their eyes away from.

I feel like you're channelling some old school "back in my day the kids played out in the streets" mentality here.

Personally I have no plans of using it on the go (but who knows?!). I mainly want it as Nintendo first party platform.

This post has been edited by Apt: 12 January 2017 - 07:59 PM

Share this topic:

• 10 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users