Malazan Empire: Nintendo Switch - Nintendo's new console/handheld hybrid - Malazan Empire

• 10 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Nintendo Switch - Nintendo's new console/handheld hybrid Now you're playing with... a cheap looking peripheral?

#1 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 20 October 2016 - 02:14 PM

No information on specifications or price yet but the release is set for March 2017.

Posted Image

I don't know. I think it actually looks like a cool new device for people who are into handheld gaming but the "on the go" controls look flimsy, cheap and uncomfortable.

Then again they also show a traditional gamepad that looks like a good copy of Sony and Microsoft's gamepads.

The real question will be what the systems power offers. The station they show will obviously be the real console but what about on the go? Is it a streaming system? Like PS4s ability to stream to the Vita like Sony demonstrated back in 2013? Or is the handheld thingy supposed to be able to play games stand alone? If it's stand alone then it wont be able to run big games. If it's a streaming system then it becomes a problem for anybody who doesn't live next to a 4G mast.

If the Switch isn't capable of approaching the power of the proposed Scorpio console from Microsoft in 2017 then I think Nintendo has fucked up again.

This post has been edited by Apt: 20 October 2016 - 02:30 PM

#2 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 20 October 2016 - 02:25 PM

I'm not at all sure anyone asked for this.

I mean, what is the demographic of people who are so into a game that they can't stop to go do some other thing that requires them to leave the game behind?

If I'm playing a game and I have to go do something else, I turn the game off and come back later.

Also, that dog thinks "Woohoo! I'm getting a walk with my owner!"....and get's a disconnected stroll in which he's paid no attention to so his game-addicted parent can keep playing his game? I mean WTF kind of message is that?

"Hey, let's go play basketball guys! Yeah!!!" *play a bit of basketball*...."this is boring guys...lets play FAKE basketball on these little devices...hey at least we're outside!"

"Hey...come on over for drinks on our rooftop patio with great views!" "okay hang on, let me get my portable gaming system to bring over so we can ignore the outdoors, the friendship, and true view and play video games!"

If this isn't the worst idea AND marketing campaign I've seen form a game company in a long time, it's close.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#3 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 20 October 2016 - 02:28 PM

Very cool looking concept. I hope it works!

Some very cool ideas in the video. I like people syncing multiple tablets for vs matches in sports games or being able to split a controller for simpler games like mario so two people can play.

Best scenario I think will be if the tablet has the power to run most games, with 3rd party triple A games needing the dock and being unable to be played on the go maybe, or at least not without streaming. Streaming to me is not a good idea because my country does not have the bandwidth for it. Currently though it looks like Nintendo is playing to its strengths. I think we should see this as the 3DS successor with some console functionality. Not a console with some portability.

#4 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 20 October 2016 - 02:34 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 20 October 2016 - 02:25 PM, said:

I mean, what is the demographic of people who are so into a game that they can't stop to go do some other thing that requires them to leave the game behind?

If I'm playing a game and I have to go do something else, I turn the game off and come back later.

Also, that dog thinks "Woohoo! I'm getting a walk with my owner!"....and get's a disconnected stroll in which he's paid no attention to so his game-addicted parent can keep playing his game? I mean WTF kind of message is that?

"Hey, let's go play basketball guys! Yeah!!!" *play a bit of basketball*...."this is boring guys...lets play FAKE basketball on these little devices...hey at least we're outside!"

"Hey...come on over for drinks on our rooftop patio with great views!" "okay hang on, let me get my portable gaming system to bring over so we can ignore the outdoors, the friendship, and true view and play video games!"

If this isn't the worst idea AND marketing campaign I've seen form a game company in a long time, it's close.

I also noticed the dog thing. That does not make sense. I think its just market sensationalism! I think the real uses will be for people who need to give up the TV room (or who take long bathroom breaks), play at work or school during a lunch break, take on a plane or long car ride etc. Yeah no one takes go carting games to go ride actual go carts. To me this things as I said, says more PS VITA than it does PS4.

#5 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 20 October 2016 - 03:57 PM

Apparently the tablet itself is the system, and the docking station provides extra processing power.

I think it looks pretty cool, though I don't see myself playing it much outside of home. I'm sure I'll buy it for Zelda and Mario, at least.

#6 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 20 October 2016 - 05:07 PM

NX was the codename for Switch. Like PSVR was morpheus or the PS4 Pro was named "Neo".

Companies use codenames so that you can mention projects in internal and official reports, like investor meetings, with out giving away plans for future projects either to competitors or the public.

#7 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 20 October 2016 - 06:15 PM

The playing games while doing other real things at the same time is a bit of a marketing flaw imo.

But I like the ability to take something I've been playing at home to work or wherever, and then come back and put it back on the big screen.

And the multiplayer stuff.

And Zelda. That might swing it actually; I've not had a Nintendo system since the Gamecube but this looks interesting.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 20 October 2016 - 07:05 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#8 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 20 October 2016 - 07:33 PM

View PostTraveller, on 20 October 2016 - 06:15 PM, said:

And Zelda. That might swing it actually; I've not had a Nintendo system since the Gamecube but this looks interesting.

The last two console Zeldas weren't quite up to par with the previous few, but the upcoming one looks amazing. The 3DS game A Link Between Worlds was great, so I have hopes that the Zelda team is back on track.

#9 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 20 October 2016 - 08:37 PM

I just realized that Nintendo is usually quite big on backwards compatability. If this thing can play most Wii U mario games etc than that will be huge!

#10 User is offline   Kruppe of Darujhistan 

• Justly Vilified
  • Cheating Hood since 1955

Posted 20 October 2016 - 09:06 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 20 October 2016 - 02:25 PM, said:

How is that any different from what people are already doing all day every day with smartphones? Walking the dog, Taking a shit. Standing on top of goddamn Mt. Everest.
What is not forbidden is mandatory.

#11 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 20 October 2016 - 11:54 PM

Looks awesome, and I agree w/ KoD on the marketing angle. Portability is actually pretty key to a lot of people. That said, it does seem kinda awkward to carry since the joy-cons don't suit a tablet/e-reader style case, and I wonder if the apparent lack of touchscreen will hurt it. Nevertheless it actually looks great, seems to play great, and the Nintendo originals attached look seriously top-tier.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#12 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 21 October 2016 - 12:28 AM

If I can play Dragon Warrior games I'm all in!
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#13 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 21 October 2016 - 06:23 PM

Backwards compatibility would be good..I'd like Windwaker again, but not enough to ever persuade me to get a Wii U. The DS stuff has been good, but the even the XL is small and uncomfortable to hold for any amount of time.

No one may have asked for it the way they show in that ad, but it's poorly done. Xbone advertised the ability to watch tv and play a game at the same time - which looked ridiculous the way they showed it, but is actually used by someone I know who wants to see the football scores while playing Destiny.

If they'd gone down the mass appeal, multi player route they took with the wii it would have come over better. Someone walking a dog and playing is awful, they might as well have shown someone playing a game in the park while ignoring their kids.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#14 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 21 October 2016 - 07:39 PM

Anyone care to guess the screen size? 6 inches?

Im wondering if the switch can be backwards compatible. How much storage space can it have, can its cartridges have. Will DS games work with only one screen (for many yes, for others?). How many wii or Wii U games need wierd controls?

#15 User is offline   Anasūrimbor Inrilatas 

• Fener's Mortal Sword

Posted 21 October 2016 - 10:06 PM

Hmmm, I don't know but I predict that it will succeed. It will not beat the PS4 or the XB One but it will have a solid fanbase unlike the Wii U.
"There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail — should we fall — we will know that we have lived."

#16 User is offline   Siergiej 

• High Fist

Posted 23 October 2016 - 10:43 AM

I have no idea who this is intended for. It looks uncomfortable for handheld gaming, though to be fair I don't know jack about ergonomics, so maybe it's not that bad. And because it's a goddamn tablet, it will probably not run multiplatform AAA titles. The story they want to spin around this with the video is atrocious.

But that's what I was saying ten years ago about Wii, almost verbatim (minus the handheld part). It taught me to never underestimate Nintendo's seeming insanity and detachment from market reality.

#17 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 23 October 2016 - 12:30 PM

I had the thought (which could just be a lot of wishful thinking) that this could boost the PS vita. By abandoning the second screen of the DS games could be more directly compatible on both systems making it easier for any Switch 3rd party developer to make games for both systems.

#18 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 24 October 2016 - 07:34 PM

What even is a AAA game? Godforsaken nonsense like Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto? Or that I Love Lucy sequel game that everyone seems so hyped about?

#19 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 24 October 2016 - 08:38 PM

View Postworry, on 24 October 2016 - 07:34 PM, said:

What even is a AAA game? Godforsaken nonsense like Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto? Or that I Love Lucy sequel game that everyone seems so hyped about?

Any game where the marketing budget is at least twice as big as the actual development costs is a AAA game by modern standards
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#20 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 24 October 2016 - 09:12 PM

So any game that makes you say "AAAyyyy, I wish I bought a different game!"

Share this topic:

• 10 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users