Malazan Empire: Nintendo Switch - Nintendo's new console/handheld hybrid - Malazan Empire

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Nintendo Switch - Nintendo's new console/handheld hybrid Now you're playing with... a cheap looking peripheral?

#61 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 16 January 2017 - 02:25 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 16 January 2017 - 02:11 PM, said:

This system is $400+ tax in Canada. That price point is WAY too high for a Nintendo system. My wife loves her Wii, so I was considering this for her Bday, but 400 bills is INSANE for this. Nopers.

400 dollars for the base system! Prices for everything is insane!

Pro controller -80 dollars
Joy controllers - 80 dollars for a pair, 50 dollars for a single

The competition is 50$

Also not a single game included in the price. So the console is realy 460$ minimum at launch

This post has been edited by Cause: 16 January 2017 - 02:26 PM

#62 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 16 January 2017 - 03:19 PM

Indeed. This feels like a MASSIVE overreach by Nintendo. I can't fathom what they are thinking.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#63 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 16 January 2017 - 03:44 PM

This system is $400+ tax in Canada. That price point is WAY too high for a Nintendo system. My wife loves her Wii, so I was considering this for her Bday, but 400 bills is INSANE for this. Nopers.

In fairness, you shouldn't blame Nintendo for that. That's the weaker Canadian dollar. According to what I've heard AAA games are also 10-20 dollars more expensive in Canada.

The Nintendo isn't made in Canada, they have to charge what it costs to produce the machine.

#64 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 16 January 2017 - 04:41 PM

View PostApt, on 16 January 2017 - 03:44 PM, said:

In fairness, you shouldn't blame Nintendo for that. That's the weaker Canadian dollar. According to what I've heard AAA games are also 10-20 dollars more expensive in Canada.

The Nintendo isn't made in Canada, they have to charge what it costs to produce the machine.

No, I'm fairly sure I can blame Nintendo. Even the USD price is exorbitant. This isn't some math glitch due to our dollar...this is Nintendo thinking they are selling the next big gaming console...when they aren't.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#65 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 16 January 2017 - 06:26 PM

View PostCheesewiz, on 16 January 2017 - 06:20 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 16 January 2017 - 04:41 PM, said:

View PostApt, on 16 January 2017 - 03:44 PM, said:

No, I'm fairly sure I can blame Nintendo. Even the USD price is exorbitant. This isn't some math glitch due to our dollar...this is Nintendo thinking they are selling the next big gaming console...when they aren't.

Prob because this console is going to be the sole breadwinner for them if 3DS is no longer made.

Totally...but talk about putting your eggs all in one basket...and then charging far too much for that basket, LOL!

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 16 January 2017 - 06:27 PM

#66 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 16 January 2017 - 08:43 PM

Yah, that's way too high even in Canadian "dollars". Especially since 1-2-Switch isn't bundled in. I still think it'll be a bigger success than Wii U upon launch, but that lack of bundled game is a big buzzkill/mistake, and I dunno if the Switch will 'turn things around' in the long term. There's also the fact -- at least in America -- that the middle class is about to be decimated, so I wonder if the potential market is already a lot smaller, as people re-prioritize their spending.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#67 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 16 January 2017 - 09:03 PM

Don't be silly Worry. The elite are going to subsidize the Switch to distract the masses. Free Switches will be handed out at the food stamp office.

Speaking of the 1-2 game. I am still shocked that they didn't bundle this thing and the Arms game with the console. It's the equivalent of the sports games and the fitness games for the Wii. It was those games that helped sell a hundred million consoles, not Mario, Zelda or anything else.

The 1-2 mini games are the little pop-culture experiences that spread with word of mouth as people take them to parties and family gatherings.

#68 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 16 January 2017 - 09:31 PM

View PostApt, on 16 January 2017 - 09:03 PM, said:

Don't be silly Worry. The elite are going to subsidize the Switch to distract the masses. Free Switches will be handed out at the food stamp office.

Speaking of the 1-2 game. I am still shocked that they didn't bundle this thing and the Arms game with the console. It's the equivalent of the sports games and the fitness games for the Wii. It was those games that helped sell a hundred million consoles, not Mario, Zelda or anything else.

The 1-2 mini games are the little pop-culture experiences that spread with word of mouth as people take them to parties and family gatherings.

Maybe I should not comment because I never really got into the whole wii sports game thing but 1-2-switch looks like one of the most cringe worthy tech demos masquerading as a game (that costs money) I have ever seen! One of the games is racing to milk a cow! The shooter is a video game that does not require a tv?

It is without question a tech demo that is meant to show off and highlight the qualities of the Switch. To charge people to experience that is criminal in my mind. It highlights the ability to use a joycon as two controllers, shows off the accelerometers, the HD rumbler etc

https://en.wikipedia...wiki/1-2-Switch paying money for this would hurt me physically.

#69 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 16 January 2017 - 09:54 PM

View PostCause, on 16 January 2017 - 09:31 PM, said:

https://en.wikipedia...wiki/1-2-Switch paying money for this would hurt me physically.

And yet it's the one thing that will grab the attention of the non-gamers.

#70 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 16 January 2017 - 09:55 PM

I think Wii Sports was plenty of fun, but I was one of the suckers who also bought Wii Play (which at least came w/ an extra remote), and yes I feel like I was snookered by a criminal enterprise.

#71 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 17 January 2017 - 08:38 PM

#72 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 24 January 2017 - 10:37 PM

The Switch just makes me feel like Nintendo, hardware wise, doesn't understand their audience, and occasionally stumble onto something great and then continue to fuck up everywhere else.

The draw of the 3ds, gameboy, and everything in between, is its LONG battery life and mobility. A 3 hour battery on a 'mobile' device isn't good. The amount they are asking for their controllers isn't good.

The fact that the lead engineer of Titanfall 2 laughed if he was asked if TFall2 would ever be on switch, because he thinks switch is underpowered compared to the XboxOne, much less the PS4/PS4Pro and Scorpio. Oh, and the version of Fifa17 that EA is porting to the switch? The xbox360/psd3 version because it can't handle anything better.

The 'motion control' craze is dead. And the prices they are asking for their tiny-ass controllers are a veritable joke.

I'm not paying 400$ for a mobile console with shitty specs, terrible battery life, and then 60$ titles? Ya, nah.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#73 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 25 January 2017 - 03:59 AM

The price is 300 for the console, Obdigore.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#74 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 25 January 2017 - 09:55 AM

View PostObdigore, on 24 January 2017 - 10:37 PM, said:

The draw of the 3ds, gameboy, and everything in between, is its LONG battery life and mobility. A 3 hour battery on a 'mobile' device isn't good. The amount they are asking for their controllers isn't good.

Actually both the 3DS and PS VIta had 3-5 hour battery life

#75 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 25 January 2017 - 09:55 AM

#76 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 25 January 2017 - 04:31 PM

View PostCause, on 25 January 2017 - 09:55 AM, said:

Good point.

I think after skipping the Wii and Wii U (as well as the 3DS flavors), this is the Nintendo I'm ready to buy. I probably won't get a pre-order due to them selling out everywhere, but I'll get one of these. It's the right combo of "TV gaming" and "can bring with me somewhere on a trip", plus the eventual library that will be there (the older games Nintendo has already released for the Wii and Wii U, plus the ports of the hits of a few years ago) fits me. I am always several years behind the newest games (except for Dark Souls), so getting to play Skyrim without major changes etc on this isn't a downer for me. It'll be the first time I'm playing Skyrim.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#77 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 25 January 2017 - 11:12 PM

That was the minimum. For the most recent pokemon game, for instance, my older 3DS was lasting over 6 hours. The Switch doesn't even make it to 3 hours when playing Zelda, apparently.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#78 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 25 January 2017 - 11:44 PM

You're right about the accessories prices though. A second set of controllers and a game bring it well above $400. I suppose the fact that the controller charges on the Switch itself is something of an improvement for Nintendo, but that only works with one set at a time.

#79 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 26 January 2017 - 02:30 AM

View PostObdigore, on 25 January 2017 - 11:12 PM, said:

That was the minimum. For the most recent pokemon game, for instance, my older 3DS was lasting over 6 hours. The Switch doesn't even make it to 3 hours when playing Zelda, apparently.

Are you talking about the new Zelda? The 3d, open world, third person action Zelda? Because that is a completely different graphical beast to Pokemon Sun, dude. If the Switch can pull about 3 hours on that, while powering a screen twice the size of the one on the 3ds, that is fucking *impressive*.

How many laptops do you know which can game a full 3d action title for more than an hour on battery? And how many of those cost $300?

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#80 User is offline   Stefan 

• Recruit

Posted 28 January 2017 - 04:55 AM

I pre-ordered the Switch with the Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

As for Nintendo's business strategy, I wrote this over at Siftd.net:

I have a specific dream concerning what I believe could be a good business model for Nintendo to adopt in the future, and I'd like to hear your thoughts on what I have to say. So, here goes...

Everybody knows that Nintendo wants there games to be released on their own proprietary hardware, but with each generation of failed consoles, stemmed from their inability to listen to consumers and shareholders, only caring about doing something different for the sake of it being different, they may continually get closer to the event horizon that forces them to truly stop, reevaluate and change course to a better approach.

I dont think they realize they can still create exclusive games for proprietary hardware while playing on a format that isn't owned by them directly. You might wonder how this is possible, but it would be easy to accomplish, if they could create the right infrastructure for it.

Instead of something like Miiverse, Nintendo would be better suited to create an infrastructure that is more OS and server based than one based on hardware, something more akin to Blizzard Online (rip battle.net).

This service would be what I always dreamed Nintendoland could be, a digital playground and hub for all things related to Nintendo. They could make the service tied to their own innovative hybrid of Amiibo reader and Skylanders scanners.

This device and digital app could be compatible with different consoles, and something required to play their exclusive games. As for the Nintendoland hub, this is also where the Amiibos would come into play the most. It would act as a type of meta-playground and digital amusement park, where the attractions are unique, fun games unlocked by an Amiibo.

Does anyone remember the Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess Crossbow Demo? Imagine if shortly prior to the release of Twilight Princess, we unlocked the demo in such a digital hub. Nintendo could do such an approach for all major releases, making fun and expiramental games that work as a cheap, introductory step to the main game, to let people grasp certain new innovations and mechanisms.

On top of that, these Amiibos, and especially the more obscure ones, could offer other types of additions to this digital playground. And if they made it where it had updates, where there could be actual campaign stuff tied to this playground, they could have a bona-fide hit on their hands.

If they get the price right for the Amiibos, or a way to get the game modes digitally, but needing the figures for specific bonus stuff, they'd do better than Skylanders ever did, simply because of all the Nintendo IP and the power of their brand, tied with they know how to innovate on the tech, to make the figures more approachable, especially for use in multiple games.

Lastly, this Nintendoland hub would also be workable on the phone, and not just consoles. You could unlock a game and play it on your console and phone at no added cost. Or make it so something on the phone version ties into the console versions, one thing feeding another.

Speaking of phones, I'm typing this on mine, and even though I have a lot more to say, my fingers and eyes hurt too much. I'd love to know your thoughts on such an approach - I'm not concerned with the probability of it happening, but if you want it to. And if you do, is there anything you would add to it or change? Or how do you think Nintendo should handle controls - the way I see it, if Nintendo is forced to the point where they do this, I don't believe they'd be as stubborn as they are now concerning controller's, and would simply allow the third party consoles controllers and whatever the phones are capable of.

Share this topic:

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users