Malazan Empire: Nintendo Switch - Nintendo's new console/handheld hybrid - Malazan Empire

• 10 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Nintendo Switch - Nintendo's new console/handheld hybrid Now you're playing with... a cheap looking peripheral?

#41 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 12 January 2017 - 08:09 PM

View PostApt, on 12 January 2017 - 07:57 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 12 January 2017 - 07:03 PM, said:

Is it still a system that feeds the idea that I should play inside until I have to go outside, and then bring it with me and ignore other humans outside as well? If so, I'm out.

You mean like a book?

You make it sound like it's some kind of bewitched mirror that the victim can't drag their eyes away from.

I feel like you're channelling some old school "back in my day the kids played out in the streets" mentality here.

Personally I have no plans of using it on the go (but who knows?!). I mainly want it as Nintendo first party platform.

Oh, I'm TOTALLY being an old curmudgeon about it. Imagine it in Harrison Ford's voice in fact.

I just think the whole "on the go" feature is a bell and whistle that was not well thought out. If people want to play a game on the go, they'll use their phones. I'm not sure a hybrid Gameboy / Home system that is linked is necessary.

I was a big Wii fan, but this feels like a misstep to me.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#42 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 12 January 2017 - 08:20 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 12 January 2017 - 08:09 PM, said:

I just think the whole "on the go" feature is a bell and whistle that was not well thought out. If people want to play a game on the go, they'll use their phones. I'm not sure a hybrid Gameboy / Home system that is linked is necessary.

I was a big Wii fan, but this feels like a misstep to me.

I'm not entirely sure if the gaming on the go bit will work for this particular system- it looks a bit unwieldy, and possibly fragile, to be dragging about- but there's a real huge difference between a game you can play on a phone and a game you can play on a dedicated gaming system.

I mean, Nintendo's handhelds have always been phenomenally successful, more so and more consistently than their home consoles. They're very, very good at it. It makes sense that they'll turn to their strength and combine the two.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#43 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 12 January 2017 - 08:31 PM

I think it's a great idea. Not the way that the ad runs, however. Stopping playing to go outside, and taking the game with you makes zero sense, I agree.

But from my perspective, I could totally see myself using the system to play Zelda at home, and then taking the handheld to work on nightshift to play during any downtime when I'm on call. Then taking it home, plugging it in, and carrying on the same game on the big screen. That is something that nothing else offers at the moment. Sure there are games on tablets/phones but I still prefer a system through the tv.

I'm sure that other people will see all the possibilities that are relevant to them. Sure, the ads message is poorly thought through, but it does at least highlight the flexibility. I've not really looked closely at the multiplayer, but if you can all sit around and play a mario party on it I'll be happy.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#44 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 12 January 2017 - 10:27 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 12 January 2017 - 07:50 PM, said:

View Postamphibian, on 12 January 2017 - 07:31 PM, said:

Are you a child who may want to keep playing a game during a long ride somewhere else?

This is not something we as a society should endorse. When the kid has to go somewhere, we should not be allowing them to continue their immersion in a game they were playing at home before they left. There are other things to occupy time on long journeys.

Commutes or long trips somewhere are tough for adults and we usually have plenty of options and the funds to buy things with. For kids, it's different. I have a lot of empathy for them and think they'll be fine with stuff like the Switch on the go.

I'm remembering the years of car rides where I wasn't even tall enough to look outside the car's windows in the backseat (some of this was prior to widespread booster seat usage). Books sometimes weren't allowed because my father was a cranky dude at times and we had zero video games/handhelds. So I either quickly exhausted my parents' patience for questions, slept, or stared at the fucking car seat in front of me for hours. That was a terrible experience - especially when we'd drive 3 or 4 hours to get somewhere.

I don't mind a kid on a commute reading a book or playing a video game. Not every kid gets a cell phone these days (and probably shouldn't either). Give them a book or handheld video game with something not too violent for public and I'm 100% on board with that. Kids aren't old enough to direct where they go and are often asked to entertain themselves. As long as they detach when it's time (social situations, school, whatever), it should be fine.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#45 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 13 January 2017 - 05:55 AM

An English dubbed version of the event is live:

http://www.nintendo.com/switch/

Watching it now.

EDIT: Adding commentary as I go:

Spoiler

Okay that was a cool conference. I am going to curious to see what the actual line-up of titles for the Switch is March 3rd. Doesn't seem like they have anything heavy besides Zelda.

This post has been edited by Apt: 13 January 2017 - 07:12 AM

#46 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 13 January 2017 - 08:04 AM

Comments on some of Apt's spoilered material, I'll spoiler as well.

Spoiler

"I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust." T.S Eliot - The Wasteland

#47 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 13 January 2017 - 09:43 AM

Interedting. 6.2 inch capacitive touch screen. I'd like to have heard if the thing has anything by way of cellphone like apps? Can I use it to browse the web? Like an adult with out some ridiculous Nintendo nonsense? Can it be an e-reader? Comic book reader? Screen Netflix? If it could be a tablet light plus Nintendo gaming machine what a coup! But they said nothing and I'm not hopeful.

50 developers? 80 games being worked on! Maybe give some names. Have a pdf online? So far it's not looking great. Wierd new Mario, Zelda, xenoblade and Terri's. Everything else slipped tight through my mind.

Backwards Compatability! Can it play wii games? Wii u games? Mention it!

#48 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 13 January 2017 - 11:06 AM

I was looking at this list ordered after release dates and I am pretty shocked. This is a terrible release line-up. I mean, Zelda will move consoles but there's nothing else there that solidifies the puchase.

http://www.neogaf.co...d.php?t=1333390

North American Switch Lineup according to Nintendo: http://www.nintendo.....#filter/switch
March 2017
Zelda: BotW (+Special/Master editions) $59.99/$99.99/$129.99
1, 2, Switch $49.99
I Am Setsuna
Has Been Heroes
Just Dance 2017
Snipperclips - Cut it out, together! $19.99
Super Bomberman R

April 28, 2017
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe $59.99

Spring 2017
Arms $59.99
Lego City Undercover
Sonic Mania

Summer 2017
Splatoon 2

Fall 2017
Skyrim
NBA 2k18 (September)

Holiday 2017
Super Mario Odyssey

Project Sonic 2017

TBD
Arcade Archives
FIFA
Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers
Disgaea 5 Complete
Dragonball Z Xenoverse 2
Farming Simulator
Fast RMX (that F-zero lookalike from the sizzle)
Fire Emblem Warriors
Minecraft Story Mode The complete adventure
Minecraft
Puyopuyo Tetris
Rayman Legends Definitive edition
Rime
Shin Megami Tensei
Skylanders Imaginators
Siberia 3
Steep

#49 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 13 January 2017 - 06:25 PM

Nintendo have been terrible at release line-ups forever. I don't understand why they don't understand. In many cases they have been able to pull it back, but in others the system simply never recovered from the initial knock to the reputation.

#50 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 13 January 2017 - 06:41 PM

Also im not clear. This is a successor to the wii u. Is it also the successor to the 3ds. Are they a one console company going forward

#51 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 13 January 2017 - 06:43 PM

Also im not clear. This is a successor to the wii u. Is it also the successor to the 3ds. Are they a one console company going forward

#52 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 13 January 2017 - 07:15 PM

Yes, the Switch is a home console/on the go-handheld hybrid device.

They've stopped producing Wii U and 3DS's and seem to be going all in on the Switch.

That said, considering how strong their handheld market was, I imagine they're keeping the 3DS as a back-up in case Switch just turns into a dumpster fire.

#53 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 13 January 2017 - 08:11 PM

Have they stopped producing 3DS's? They haven't said so and in fact have said the opposite. There seems to be a rumour swirling that they have based on the fact that, supposedly, they're hard to come by right now (I haven't looked), but even if true that could be anything from a hangover from Nintendo's usual 'artificial demand over the holidays via restricted supply', which they claim they don't do but please, to them temporarily slowing down to focus resources on the Switch for now. It'd be weird if they shut it down without telling anyone.

#54 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 13 January 2017 - 08:21 PM

You know, you're right. They haven't outright said they've stopped production. However there isn't been sent out new Wii U's and 3DS to stories in US or Europe. Maybe they're stockpiling them I don't know, but the signals suggest that it's one platform now.

#55 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 14 January 2017 - 12:45 AM

I've seen speculation that they simply under-estimated how much of a boost to 3DS sales Pokemon Sun/Moon were over the holiday season on the back of Pokemon Go, and they simply haven't recovered yet. But I don't really know.

But, like, the Wii U they're obviously going to wind down, but it'd seem odd to stop 3DS production so soon after they specifically said they're not going to.

#56 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 14 January 2017 - 01:05 AM

Yeah, and a single console that is a handheld doesn't replace the 3ds - largely because of price points and what I assume would be a very different platform - the next Pokemon game might come out on the Switch but do you really think it will be some full 3d game which plays on a TV from here on?

We might be due for another handheld in the next year or two though. Whether the Switch in some form will be that handheld is up for debate but I doubt it.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#57 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 16 January 2017 - 10:32 AM

Having thought about it I hope it succeeds. It remnds me of the VITA though. An incredible piece of hardware with amazing potential which may be let down by a bad release, poor promotion and an abysmal launch window.

The idea is great and the execution of it is smart. The rail system and joycons are a great idea (I hope the rail system idea is stolen by Ipad at some point). So far Nintendos handling of this is not looking good. The influence makers of game journalism are almost to a man already carrying a negative slant.

#58 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 16 January 2017 - 10:44 AM

The more I've thought about the the Switch over the weekend the less enthusiastic I've become about the thing. To me the core issue lies with the game library.

I realize that making games is hard and having them hit a specific launch window can be an issue, but why on earth wouldn't you make certain that you had more big system sellers for your launch than Zelda? ESPECIALLY if your new launch is the attempt to fix the last disastrous launch and win back public favor? Depending upon my paycheck in March I still think I'm going to buy the thing because I am interested in the old games in the library but man, it feels like the company is either out of touch or just incapable of living up to their own perceived potential.

#59 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 16 January 2017 - 12:12 PM

I'm pretty sure that the same comments re: launch lineups were being made about the PS4 and Xbox One way back when. Sure, they had more launch titles than the Switch does, but no back catalogue and very few exclusives coming out at day one.

I don't think the launch lineup is fantastic or anything, but I also don't think this is out of the ordinary for the current generation of consoles. Not sure why it's changed (but probably a lack of first party studios and the fact that making a game for a launch deadline is just adding crunch time to the development cycle at no real benefit to the studio, and for fact that it's probably almost impossible now to make going exclusive financially worthwhile to any studio that has to answer to EA, Ubisoft, or Activision).

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#60 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 16 January 2017 - 02:11 PM

This system is $400+ tax in Canada. That price point is WAY too high for a Nintendo system. My wife loves her Wii, so I was considering this for her Bday, but 400 bills is INSANE for this. Nopers.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

Share this topic:

• 10 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users