• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Soccer/Football/Futbol/Whatever in general The round ball game

#1 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 04 October 2016 - 11:54 PM

Thought I'd make a blanket soccer thread.

Man, wtf is up with Leicester? Talk about your champion's hangovers ...
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#2 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 05 October 2016 - 04:25 AM

I can't stand Leicester. Mostly because I loathe Jamie Vardy. Their manager is top notch though, imo. What they did last season was quite momentous though.

Also, I never liked Manchester United, but now I have more reason to dislike them because of the hiring of José Mourinho.

Anyway, my club is Tottenham Hotspur. My brother's is Arsenal.

I'm American, do you Brits and Euros like the Men in Blazers show (do you know what that is?) hosted by Michael Davies and Roger Bennett. Man, I think they are hilarious, especially when they are making fun of José Mourinho or Louis van Gaal (or any number of other mangers/footballers who deserve to be made fun of). Crap Cat FTW!
Posted Image

#3 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 09 October 2016 - 07:49 AM

You're Spurs and your brother is Arsenal? Could be fun...

Though Spurs are looking good this year, I actually fancy their chances. Which I wouldn't mind because they beat City. :p
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#4 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 09 October 2016 - 08:35 AM

I'm a man U fan.

There I said it.

I'm enjoying the clubs recent turn to madness. Everyones at risk of losing a spot so we tend to get wonder kids like Rashford threatening major signs like Ibrahimovich.

I hated that we sold Pogba, glad he's back but at such a ridiculous fee? not good pressure to carry but we'll see I certainly thought he was worth it before he was on Loan and eventually left the club. I think Ol'Ferguson made that deal happen, easy to forget the old man's still involved at Old Trafford.

What do you guys think of this: Sam Allardyce
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#5 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 09 October 2016 - 03:22 PM

I think Leicester have several problems.
The loss of Kante shows how important an ace dm is.
The new tugging and grappling rules or whatever they are limits huths effectiveness at shutting down tricky attackers.
People are ready for them this season. Even as far as Easter last season pros seemed to be surprised when they snuck in a 1/2-0 win against a side the traditionally would have lost to.
Also outside of spurs and west ham last season most teams under performed consistently whilst Leicester just kept on churning.

Liverpool fan here, not expecting a title but cautiously optimistic for a top 4 with klippity klopp at the helm.
If we keep Coutinho next summer I will be amazed, Barca want him, and what Barca want, Barca usually get.

#6 User is offline   Siergiej 

• High Fist

Posted 09 October 2016 - 04:11 PM

I would be very surprised to see Coutinho move to Barca. No way he will make a move to be a substitute, and as great as he is, Neymar, Messi, and Suarez are beyond his reach. Iniesta will be retiring soon, but his position is deeper than Coutinho plays at LFC. I'm surprised Barca didn't fight more for Pogba, tho maybe they did and just decided to take a step back seeing that United will pay anything to get him. Will not be surprised if they will come knocking for Thiago to come back from Bayern.

Tottenham looks really good... again. And again, they'll probably suffer a meltdown at a crucial moment. Nothing new.

#7 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 10 October 2016 - 10:49 AM

Well we're offering him a new contract because they've been tapping him up.
I don't know why people are still surprised when players go to Barca/real and end up sitting on the bench. They maybe convince themselves they're better than they are or maybe it's a lifestyle choice. Owen left Liverpool as a god, first name on the sheet. Went to Real to be 4th string,fucking idiot in my opinion.
McManaman had to fight his way back into the Real team twice,kne of the few players who has done so,but again brass an auto start at Liverpool. As much as I love LFC, I'm not one of those fans that's living in the 80s glory, if Barca cone,he will go, guaranteed medals every year? Sunshine? Playing with the best players in the world? 80/90 thousand fans at home games? Guaranteed European football? He most certainly won't be taking a financial hit so yeah,trust me if they pony up the dough, he's gone. We are not the domestic and European powerhouse we once were.

#8 User is offline   Siergiej 

• High Fist

Posted 10 October 2016 - 01:22 PM

I agree that if Barca or Real really want a player, there's not much stopping them... unless the player himself isn't keen on leaving. And I don't think Coutinho would go to Barca, knowing that he would get a place in starting lineup in almost every club BUT Barca.

#9 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 10 October 2016 - 02:43 PM

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one then, I'm convinced if they make an offer he will jump at the chance.

#10 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 11 October 2016 - 12:30 PM

@Dolmen

Allardyce was dumb enough to get caught saying shit - trying to talk himself up I think - in front of people he didn't know, but he wasn't saying anything that wasn't already one of the worst-kept 'secrets' in world soccer.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#11 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 16 October 2016 - 07:27 AM

I take it people think Tim Cahill's debut goal for Melbourne City was OK ...

http://www.foxsports...2ccc775987c9e47

#12 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 16 October 2016 - 08:40 AM

View PostCaptain Needa, on 16 October 2016 - 07:27 AM, said:

I take it people think Tim Cahill's debut goal for Melbourne City was OK ...

http://www.foxsports...2ccc775987c9e47

That was a sweet strike.

Reminds me of one goal Suarez produced while playing for LFC. (BBG)

But then again...Zlatan did it facing the other way. :p

Edit for academic reference.

This post has been edited by Dolmen 2.0: 16 October 2016 - 08:50 AM

“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#13 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 17 October 2016 - 12:00 PM

I think tonight will be interesting. Will Jose stick to his word and try play the expansive attacking football united were once famed and feared for or will he play it smart like he did with chelsea 2 seasons ago and get his players to stall and frustrate.
I don't think it would work for them this time, I think Klopp has instilled a better discipline in the players than Rodgers ever managed, he coasted by on Suarez's brilliance for quite a bit.

#14 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 17 October 2016 - 02:14 PM

Tonight is the biggest game in football in my opinion. My heart races thinking about it.
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#15 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 17 October 2016 - 02:38 PM

According to the paper theres an expected worldwide audience of 700m? can't be right. Amazing if it is remotely accurate

#16 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 17 October 2016 - 08:02 PM

Yeah.
6-3-1 is not attacking. Mour hasnt changed

#17 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 06 November 2016 - 10:34 AM

Wow, didn't Chelski just give Everton a nasty bollocking. Without the courtesy of a reach-around.

And again, wtf happened to Leicester?

#18 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 06 November 2016 - 02:55 PM

The opposition have learned how to deal with their counter-attacking style. They have a European campaign as well as a domestic one. And they lost Kante. Plus last year they were floating on a high, whereas now they have the pressure of the champion.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#19 User is offline   Siergiej 

• High Fist

Posted 06 November 2016 - 06:28 PM

Also, they don't really have the squad to keep playing on that level. Previous season was not their standard performance: it was an anomaly, a one in a million coincidence of several factors: their top performers hitting it really big and exploding with form all at once (Kante, Vardy, Mahrez), their mediocre players (all the Huths, Fucses, Drinkwaters, and Ulloas) playing the best football in their mediocre careers at the same point, Ranieri not fucking anything up, top English teams being in crisis, not having to play in Europe... stars aligned right for Leicester and they squeezed 200% of that chance, and what they did was absolutely incredible. But it's not happening again.

#20 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 19 February 2017 - 01:09 AM

View PostGorefest, on 06 November 2016 - 02:55 PM, said:

The opposition have learned how to deal with their counter-attacking style. They have a European campaign as well as a domestic one. And they lost Kante. Plus last year they were floating on a high, whereas now they have the pressure of the champion.

View PostSiergiej, on 06 November 2016 - 06:28 PM, said:

Also, they don't really have the squad to keep playing on that level. Previous season was not their standard performance: it was an anomaly, a one in a million coincidence of several factors: their top performers hitting it really big and exploding with form all at once (Kante, Vardy, Mahrez), their mediocre players (all the Huths, Fucses, Drinkwaters, and Ulloas) playing the best football in their mediocre careers at the same point, Ranieri not fucking anything up, top English teams being in crisis, not having to play in Europe... stars aligned right for Leicester and they squeezed 200% of that chance, and what they did was absolutely incredible. But it's not happening again.

Three months later and you've both been proved dead on the money. Sadly.

I don't think anyone expected a repeat of last season, but to be one point above the relegation zome??? Oh dear ... :D :D :sad:

This post has been edited by Captain Needa: 19 February 2017 - 01:13 AM

Share this topic:

• 83 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users