• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Soccer/Football/Futbol/Whatever in general The round ball game

#801 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 30 May 2019 - 12:10 AM

Damn, my brother - a huge Arsenal fan - has to be absolutely gutted right now. I want to send him a text, but am afraid to.

I'll definitely send him a text when Tottenham takes the top trophy this Saturday. Posted ImagePosted Image

#802 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 02 June 2019 - 01:18 AM

Shite game
Great result

Delighted Origi got a goal

And suck on this Malazakazooie

#803 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 02 June 2019 - 03:52 AM

You guys deserved it. I like Klop and the players on Liverpool. Not a fan of the supporters though. Liverpool had been getting dicked on the wrong side of luck the past few goes at it, so happy for you guys.

Spurs played above their pay grade, so they should hold their heads up. Doubt they get anywhere near that far next year, we'll see. I'll be interested to see what moves are made before next season. Pochettino leaving?

As far as the game - hand ball, penalty goal was trash, but I can agree with the call, I guess. Spurs did press a lot, so weren't outclassed. Crap match all in all though. I guess that might be a symptom of the familiarity these teams have with each other (both playing in the EPL). I think it would have been more exciting if it were teams from different euro pro leagues.

#804 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 02 June 2019 - 08:18 AM

Allison earned his transfer fee

#805 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 02 June 2019 - 08:28 AM

Wasn't a penalty though. That decision killed the match.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#806 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 02 June 2019 - 11:58 AM

Except it was a penalty, his arm moved towards the ball from its flapping position (where no defender in the box should have his arm). It's not about hitting the chest first, it's about the clear benefit gained from it bouncing down off his arm.

Outside of that Poch shouldn't have started Kane, Moura deserved to start and we've seen all season Spurs are more of a threat without kane than with, the results bare that theory out

#807 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 04 June 2019 - 11:19 PM

Ok, lets turn discussion to Women's World Cup; kicking off this Thursday.

Which country will have the privilege to lose to 'Murica! for the cup?

Posted Image

#808 User is offline   Tavvar 

• Sergeant

Posted 11 June 2019 - 05:23 AM

So far it looks like France will certainly give the US a run for their money (and in the Quarters too Posted Image). I want to see if the US's defense can hold up...

#809 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 11 June 2019 - 11:07 AM

God-DAMN the Matildas played like crap against Italy the other day.
Defence was diabolical, back line too far forward, kept on getting turned around too easily and making too many rookie turnovers.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 11 June 2019 - 11:07 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#810 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 11 June 2019 - 01:59 PM

View PostTavvar, on 11 June 2019 - 05:23 AM, said:

So far it looks like France will certainly give the US a run for their money (and in the Quarters too Posted Image). I want to see if the US's defense can hold up...

Agree.

Other then Sweden in the group, our mettle won't really be tested until knock out begins. Got Thailand tonight.

#811 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 11 June 2019 - 08:58 PM

After that, kinda hoping we get beat now. Humiliating another country (13-0) is uncalled for. Clear the bench, or work on disciplined ball possession, but to continue pressure to score is pointless at some point.

Sorta hoping we lose and don't win the Cup now. A slice of humble pie is in strong order.

#812 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 12 June 2019 - 07:52 AM

View PostMalankazooie, on 11 June 2019 - 08:58 PM, said:

After that, kinda hoping we get beat now. Humiliating another country (13-0) is uncalled for. Clear the bench, or work on disciplined ball possession, but to continue pressure to score is pointless at some point.

Sorta hoping we lose and don't win the Cup now. A slice of humble pie is in strong order.

Are ... are you sure you're American?
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#813 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 14 June 2019 - 02:02 AM

Wow, Sheva really whipped the team into shape for Euro qualifiers. I'm impressed.

We had a rough start (goalless draw away against Portugal was respectable; beating Luxembourg away through an own goal was not). But then we hosted Serbia who managed to get a 1:1 draw against Portugal away, and we absolutely trounced them, 5:0!

Our group is super weird now. We got 10, Luxembourg (whom we subsequently beat at home 1:0) is STILL second (!!!) with 4 points. Serbs picked up 3 points picking on Lithuania (who so far only has the 2 losses- 1 against Luxembourg and one to the Serbs), so they've also got 4 points, but in 3rd due to terrible goal difference. Lithuania and Portugal got 2 games in hand with 0 and 2 points respectively. If Portugal drops any more points, and if we can manage to not lose, we've got a great shot at 1st spot.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#814 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 14 June 2019 - 05:57 AM

Matildas came back from 0-2 down to win 3-2 against Brasil and everyone's celebrating but I think it's too little too late.
Instead if topping the group like they should have, they'll be in a 3 way battle and may not even make the round of 16 if other results don't go their way.
That first up loss to Italy really hurt their chances. 3 points, 4-4 after 2 matches has them third in the group, and Italy still hasn't played Jamaica - which you'd think they have a fair chance of winning.

:thumbsup:

#815 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 17 June 2019 - 05:30 AM

Ok, that was better sportsmanship on our part. Beat Chile 3 - 0. Now some are saying we thumped Thailand so hard to make a statement about unequal pay compared to what the Men's National Team gets. There has to be a better way to make a statement about pay inequality then humiliating another team.

Anyway, excellent showing by our gals. Our corner set pieces are unmatched in quality, execution and results. Damn though, that goalkeeper for Chile was amazing. The score could have been 7-0 if not for her amazing saves. We still have a clean sheet. Got Sweden this Thursday, I wonder if we can keep the ball out of our net? Winner will exit the group the top seed.

#816 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 17 June 2019 - 01:01 PM

I watched a few games but dear gods the level of football on display is generally poor. I applaud the increased attention for the women's game in a traditionally very male orientated sport (well, mostly, apart from in the USA I believe). But development wise they really lag 100 years behind the men. Compared to other sports like tennis, hockey, cycling or athletics, they really have a very long way to go. I must confess I haven't seen the USA in action yet, they may be reaching a level that is passable to the neutral viewer, but the few matches I've seen mainly displayed a disturbing lack of tactical insight, skill, and ball control. And that includes my own national team of the Netherlands who are the reigning European champions and my adopted nation of England. Very disappointing. At the very least a professional or semi-professional player should be able to deliver a straight pass over 5 meters to a fellow player and have a basic understanding of field positioning.

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 17 June 2019 - 01:03 PM

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#817 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 19 June 2019 - 10:27 AM

Well, thanks to a 4 goal effort by Sam Kerr against Jamaica we squeaked through into the round of 16.

Against Norway. :thumbsup:

A year ago I would have said we had a good shot. But now after sacking the coach for nebulous reasons 5 months out from the Cup and with our porous defence, I'm not so sure.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 19 June 2019 - 10:27 AM

#818 User is offline   Tavvar 

• Sergeant

Posted 20 June 2019 - 03:23 AM

Scotland-Argentina was absolutely nuts. Scotland up 3-0 at around 75 minutes, ended up drawing 3-3. Most entertaining game of the tournament so far. And another example of VAR showing all of its flaws in the tournament, really harsh on the Scottish goalie getting a PK saved wiped out for straying off the line early, PKs are already tough enough.

Really looking forward to seeing how the US does against Sweden tomorrow, we haven't played anyone yet, and Sweden has beaten us a few times recently. All the games should be entertaining for their own reasons tomorrow!

#819 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 20 June 2019 - 03:44 AM

Yep, VAR is not looking good.

Keep an eye on France. Host country and Nigeria totally got jobbed by them and VAR. They very well could cheat their way to winning it all.

#820 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 20 June 2019 - 06:05 PM

Kinda conflicted about this one. I've got roots that go back to Sweden, so won't be that heart broken if Sweden wins. USA is my ride or die for sure, but Sweden is my backup bae and if my ride or die falters, then I want Sweden to take it all.

Share this topic:

• 83 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users